6221 Franklin Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90028Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.papillesla.com/
- Phone: 3238712026x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Tim Carey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Papilles
Papilles (pronounced “pah-PEE”) means “tastebuds” in French. We are a casual bistro inspired by the bistronomique movement in Paris. We strive to serve elegant, sophisticated food in a fun, relaxed setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Papilles - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Papilles reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (72)notable wine list (29)special occasion (25)romantic (23)hot spot (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- My new neighborhood bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014I had an incorrect impression of Papilles. For some reason I thought it was experimental cuisine, and more expensive, and I've driven past it a hundred times without being particularly excited to try it. When I realized it was more of bistro experience, I got excited to check it out. I think Papilles is my new jam. The food was great and very well priced ($34 price fixe), with a 20+ bottle wine list almost entirely under $100, with lots of interesting stuff in the $50 range. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super SatisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014What a great place! While the exterior couldn't be too much worse (it's located in a nasty mini-mall by an entrance to the 101 Freeway), the inside is lovely. And the service and food are excellent. Very comfortable place to share a mealSpecial Features:
- Don't underestimate...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014This strip-mall corner tenant. The food, the service, the wine and the price are all top notch. The only reason I took a star from food was that my poached egg in my arugula/jamon serrano salad was runny (strange) but did I REALLY care? Nope. The fact one can still get a reservation three weeks in advance is a miracle. Do NOT tell your friends, I'd rather avoid the competition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good As UsualScottVIPDined on 9/16/2014The only thing holding this place back is the location...It's around the corner from my house, but in the little mini-mark where it is...too bad it's not up the street along with Franklin & Co and Birds, etc...I wouldn't mind to see them take on La Poubelle's space, or even the Deli around the corner...Special Features:
- Hole in wall gemucalrob1Dined on 9/12/2014Wonderful, perfectly prepared food. Attentive service. Very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencebizlikesfoodDined on 9/3/2014I have been wanting to try Papilles for months now and it did not disappoint. The food was exceptional, the ambiance charming. It was a lovely experience. I came for my birthday and truly had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- kwakDined on 9/2/2014We've visited Papilles since it's opening and come back to find it familiar and new at the same time. We love it and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 5OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014All 5 of us were incredibly impressed with the food and the service. Some ordered the prix fixe, other a la carte. The halibut basquaise was outstanding; the steak eaters were raving. I greatly enjoyed the piquant tomato veloute and the ratatouille side dish. The desserts are small but full of flavor. The service is attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- DeliciousJMC13Dined on 8/23/2014I've eaten at Papilles several times. The food is always wonderful.Special Features:
- Dinner at Papilles on 23 Aug 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Overall I found this restaurant good, but a little overpriced for a French bistro. In terms of technique, I think the guys do great work; I got my steak "comme il faut." I thoroughly enjoyed my salade niçoise; if y'all did lunch and offered that as a bigger portion with fries or fried sliced potatoes, I'd come back EVERY weekend. Again, the skirt steak was perfectly cooked and seasoned along w/ the mushrooms. Your tres leches was good too. Y'all have nice bread and butter. The service is excellent and friendly. In terms of price, it could have been a little cheaper by a few dollars.Special Features:
- Love this place!PigEaterDined on 8/22/2014A charming neighborhood spot. Chef and staff are friendly and welcoming! Food is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A stunning eveninghappydinersDined on 8/20/2014This was our second visit to this small, hidden gem, and we were thrilled every step of the way. The ambience is welcoming, friendly, comfortable and very continental. The service staff are spot on: professional, knowledgable, helpful and friendly. The open kitchen is an unobtrusive great touch. The other diners were mellow, engaged, and talking in reasonable tones. The short, frequently changing menu: 3 starters, 3 entrees, 3 deserts was elegant and enticing. The Almond gazpacho was delicious and memorable, the steak and duck breast entrees cooked and seasoned beautifully, okra/mushrooms just right and a cheese platter with figs and honey, super. Our waiter matched wines skillfully, and we left satiated, excited and planning to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great prix-fixe mealGaryVIPDined on 8/17/2014A small, comfortable room serves as the locale for some great food. The prix-fixe menu is limited (a few starters a few mains), but everything is delicious. We dined on salmon and steak, both of which were fresh and well prepared. The steak came with the most wonderful accompaniment of corn and mushrooms. The atmosphere was relaxing, and the service was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie88Foodie88VIPDined on 8/9/2014It's our neighborhood gem, a good pre fix menu of 3 courses for $36! I really like their salad nicoise, the cod was good but not excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSuperfan1Dined on 8/7/2014One of the best hidden secrets in Los angeles. Some of the best food in the city. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemReviewer1000VIPDined on 8/3/2014It is unexpected good food, fresh ingredients, small intimate place, simply decorated, and cheerful host/waiter. You get the feeling that you are eating at your kitchen table at home, you see the chef who is friendly and there a sense that everyone was having a good time.
- Hidden Gem!ce09VIPDined on 7/18/2014We can always count on an amazing meal here at Papilles, and the service is also A+. Location is perfect, as it is 5 minutes from our house and we always look forward to eating here... Love the easy going atmosphere paired with exquisite food. I had the duck and my husband had the steak this time around. Everything was perfectly cooked and meticulously complimented the delicious sides. Thank you for another great meal, Papille!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolishThunderDined on 7/15/2014You will never know what will be served the night you pop in. But, no worries. You will never be disappointed. Just bring a couple friends and order the entire menu. It's usually pretty short. You will be licking the plates clean and asking for seconds.Special Features:
- a trip to the Left Bank in H-woodmangerDined on 7/15/2014always a great meal at Papilles--just know the menu can change..for example, the original menu featured sole and that changed to rock cod. It's a limited menu, usually two or three options for a main course with a few others for starters. Love the French flea market decor and mismatched flatware and china. The wine list is interesting and the night we went the wine, any bottle, was 1/2 off.Special Features:
- Vegetarian option NOTOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014I was thoroughly annoyed by the mislabeling of the vegetarian option on the menu. Let me start by saying that I am not a vegetarian, but often enjoy a lighter meatless option... I ordered the vegetarian option -- a lovely combination of quinoa and ratatouille. I was completely surprised when our server asked me if I was ok with the quinoa having been cooked in chicken stock!! Chicken stock, hello, That's NOT vegetarian. And I was surprised yet again when my meal came topped with a fried egg-- again NOT vegetarian. While I really enjoyed my experience at Papilles on the whole, this sort of lack of attention to details bothered me. It's LA, vegetarians everywhere and not a proper main course available was surprising and disappointing.Special Features:
- Great before the Bowl spotbudinskiVIPDined on 7/12/2014We were on our way to the Hollywood Bowl for Chris Issak and Chris Botti and started our night here. The charcuterie plate was very good all in house made except the mustard. We both opted for the Hangar steak and it was well prepared and delicious the deserts we samples one was a lemon pound cake and mint ice cream that was great the other was stone fruit crumble unfortunately the stone fruit were not cooked enough and were tough to eat All and all a good dining experience although I am not sure how they warranted a listing in LA magazines top 75 restaurants. It is a parsienne wine bar atmosphere and I suppose if I was drinking more the experience would be hightened to some extentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casually atmosphere, quality foodGaryGDined on 7/9/2014our party of six chose a variety of dishes, from meats to veggie plates, and we were all quite satisfied with the quality of the food. a simple, bistro feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never missesBSEreviewDined on 7/5/2014Once again this neighborhood place continues to deliver. My fish was perfect - cheese plate amazing - and their wine is always on the money to match the meal. Waiter always on top of things. It's all about the food. Because I'm a regular the chef sent my date and I a special appetizer just to say thank you for my patronage. That's how you make someone feel special. Let the waiter guide you if you are not sure because their pick can't miss. And most important there is no rush to take your plate because this restaurant actually wants you to stay. A rarity in LA where I usually have to fight off a busboy from taking away my plate before I am done. Great experience once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jeffjeffDined on 7/5/2014Been wanting to try Papilles for quite awhile and all the word is true. Phenomenal restaurant. All was perfect. A hole in the wall gem that will revisit soon.Special Features:
- Love this placeBSEreviewDined on 7/3/2014This is a great unique neighborhood gem which is always consistent.. Never the same menu it's always a treat to try new things along with a few of their dependable repeats. Excellent for a first time date because you can actually talk and hear yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Foodie Find in HollywoodTristaDined on 7/2/2014A small, fabulous little French restaurant in a Hollywood mini-mall you would never drive into otherwise (except for the kettle glazed donut shop). The menu changes daily/every few days with a small selection. I don't like what you typically think of as heavy French food, but everything I've eaten here has been fantastic. It is all balanced nicely so it doesn't feel too heavy, even though you get to enjoy some rich items. We had a surprisingly delicious almond gazpacho that was mostly savory with hints of sweetness, amazingly juicy pork, yummy octopus salad. Such attention to detail with the flavors, presentations and pairings. Staff and chef are so welcoming, friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable. Love, love, love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go now!JennyGVIPDined on 6/28/2014Papilles is a treasure. The menu's small but each dish is a gem. The kanpachi special was perfectly spiced, the charcuterie plate is ideal for one, the almond soup subtle and delicious. The Alaskan salmon was perfectly cooked, with skin that was delicate and crunchy. The flat iron steak was tender and flavorful. After hearing our wine preferences (one fruit forward, one restrained) the waiter's suggestions were spot on. The ambiance is casual and welcoming. The wait staff attentive but not overly so. If you enjoy good food thoughtfully prepared to maximize flavor, make your reservation now.Special Features:
- Where has this restaurant been?KarenSueDined on 6/24/2014I can't believe we didn't have to wait for 3 or 4 hours - this place is AMAZING and there should be crowds out the door. Waiter was delightful and probably a sommelier, as he made great wine selections for us. The food was incredibly good and beautifully presented. Because it was my friend's birthday, we were given dessert wine after our meal, which ended our dining experience on a sweet note. DO NOT HESITATE - go to this restaurant NOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gem!purslobDined on 6/20/2014Best meal we've had in a long time. Outstanding seasonal dishes, treated with care and imagination. Service is at Pinot levels. Everyone there knows what they are doing. Even the bread is flown in from New York. The chef is no more than 20 feet from the farthest diner. If you're a foodie, you can sit next to the open kitchen and meet the chef/owner. The decor is not fantastic, but it does have a cool ad-hoc vibe like you see in a small neighborhood in New York or Toronto or Eastside LA. Location is so unassuming, strip mall right next to the freeway entrance. But worth it on every level. Will be returning immediately.Special Features:
- Amazing foodholidaydollVIPDined on 6/20/2014Couldn't have had a better experience! Everything was divine! They had a Sancerre on the wine list, a very happy result for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Papilles - why is it emptyItalianVIPDined on 6/18/2014We were shocked to be the only diners in the restaurant at 7pm. Ok, it was a Tuesday night. people, this is great, simple, affordable food. Run while it's still there.Special Features:
- What a Find!MedicoreDined on 5/31/2014Venturing from the quiet San Gabriel Valley we found this neighborhood gem this past Saturday evening located in a small shopping center as an open table selection - The owner/chef, Ted and his staff made us feel comfortable from the get go. The food was outstanding, I had the rack of lamb and my wife had the beef with bernaise sauce dish which was also great. Ted even treated us to a fantastic butterscotch pudding to cap the evening off.Special Features:
- Simply greatOaksdinerDined on 5/27/2014This place is awesome. The menu changes weekly and probably features less than 20 items at any one time but each one is AMAZING. The menu and wine list are curated to perfection. And like all LA's best restaurants these days (Trois Mec) the space used to be a Raffalo's pizzeria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GodotDined on 5/25/2014A truly wonderful meal for people who enjoy excellently prepared food with quality ingredients. EnjoySpecial Features:
- The following 128 reviews are from the Papilles reviews archive.
- SurprisingLadoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014There were some truly redeeming features about this place. Firstly, the wait staff was very friendly. Secondly the food was very good. However for me this was not enough to make up for the extremely limited menu, I believe there were just 4 appetizers and 4 entrees, we got everything on the menu as a result. Next was the fact that it was in a not so charming strip mall and nothing was done to the restaurant itself to make it any more charming. It looked like it had previously been a cheap Chinese take out place. I love the idea behind it, a hole in the wall with great food but for that to work the food really has to be exceptional, this was good but not jaw dropping. Finally parking, forget about it!Special Features:
- WonderfulnmonacoVIPDined on 5/24/2014Best restaurant in the neighborhood! Great food. Impeccable service. Very reasonable pricing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bistro everPippenDined on 5/18/2014Just love love love their food. Been there 6 times and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny transporterELAPeteVIPDined on 5/14/2014You pull into a strip mall parking lot where the busiest store front is the seedy liquor store. You step through the almost hidden door in the corner into the former pizza spot and you are transported to a completely different place. Inside Papilles everything is intimate. The menus were printed on lined notebook paper. The wine list is the shelves of wine on the wall. Three choices each for appetizer, main and dessert, plus an a la carte side - get it, even if you think you hate quinoa, like me. In that tiny space you could be in Paris or New York. Thank you Papilles for being pure LA.Special Features:
- TWO timer diners.SugarClauVIPDined on 5/14/2014Bought Season tickets to Pantages and went about looking for a local gem to get in and out and have a fabulous meal without the normal hoopla you get from Hollywood. Found Papilles. The first time we went (@ 3 months ago) we were pleasantly surprised with the quality of dishes. The menu was slightly daunting, but found EVERYTHING on the menu i.e appetizer, entrée, salad and dessert and it was so de-lish. Was looking forward to ordering a similar appetizer plate. They did in fact change the menu and did not have what we were expecting from the last time, but was none the least disappointed because again everything was spectacularly delicious. Rich and flavorful and I would come back in a heartbeat. CHEF & CUTIE HOST get two thumbs up.Special Features:
- Expensive, small menuDrakesmomDined on 5/11/2014Not a very extensive menu. I ordered the carrot sirloin, they brought me a beet instead. When I asked the waiter about it, he said the chef didn't make carrot sirloin and forgot to tell him. There were literally three things on the menu for each course. Except dessert, only one dessert. Most of the food included eggs. I don't like eggs. The other choice was a French onion burger. $36. In n out is better. The restaurant itself has a hole in the wall look and feel, but I didn't feel like I found a gem, more like a hole in the wall for a reason. The waitstaff was very attentive. Service was great. It was the food I did not like. Except the bread and cheesecake, those were good.Special Features: