6221 Franklin Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90028Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.papillesla.com/
- Phone: (323) 871-2026
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Tim Carey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Papilles
Papilles (pronounced “pah-PEE”) means “tastebuds” in French. We are a casual bistro inspired by the bistronomique movement in Paris. We strive to serve elegant, sophisticated food in a fun, relaxed setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Papilles - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Papilles reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (90)fit for foodies (88)special occasion (27)notable wine list (26)romantic (24)good for groups (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Dinner before the TheatreSueKDined on 11/18/2014This is a great spot for a lovely French bistro dinner before going to the Pantages Theatre- only about 3 blocks away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum90sdudeDined on 11/16/2014Great food, wonderful staff, and inexpensive Papilles is quite the find. I will be recommending it to friends. In fact I just did recommend it to one of my foody friends with full confidence he will not be disappointed. The physical atmosphere is a bit sparse, but the warmth of the staff more than made up for that. I am already thinking about my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A REAL NEIGHBORHOOD GEM!LadyDianeDined on 11/16/2014I almost hate to give Papilles such a good review because I live in the neighborhood and don't want more tourists. But the food and wine are excellent. It's a pre-fixe menu offering 3 choices and if you don't order an expensive bottle of wine - super reasonable. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just overall excellent.StevennchbVIPDined on 11/15/2014Friendly, relaxed atmosphere, with high quality food at a refreshingly reasonable price. Absolutely felt transported to a family run restaurant in France. Can't wait to try more of the ever changing (based on seasonality) prix fixe menu. Big props to Tim and Santos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in a strip shopping center.DinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014We ate here on a visit a year ago, and made certain to return. The restaurant was every bit as good as we recalled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014Tim is an inspired chef. His soups are always a dream, the portions are generous and the service is great. Our neighborhood gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findAlexisVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was apparently influenced by one of my favorite restaurants in Paris - Les Papilles - so I was excited to go. The exterior is definitely deceiving as to what's within. The restaurant's fun, food is really good, and prices are reasonable. Waiters got a few things mixed up (ie, who ordered what) but nothing major. The rest of my party (based in LA) had a great time and took a bunch of business cards to spread the word. I hope it doesn't change as it becomes more popular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LA's Hidden Gem - Outstanding!BarbaraDined on 11/4/2014Papilles is a must! This was one of the best meals I've ever had! If you love great food, I promise you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Small space, big flavors.RootyTootyFoodieDined on 10/31/2014We very much enjoyed the pre fixe menu. Charcuterie platter and sunchoke veloute for starters. Swordfish and flat iron steak as main entrees. Not your ordinary mac 'n cheese gratin as a side. Yummy! Blueberry tart and a dark chocolate hazelnut crisp for desserts. Enjoyed that the waiter asked what types of wines we liked and brought over 3 bottles he thought we might like. We enjoyed the Italian bottle that was chosen.Special Features:
- Great mealPointhoarderVIPDined on 10/31/2014First time here and very impressed. The place is a short walk from the Pantages Theater so it is a good pre-theater option if you allow yourself some time. Good selection of wines by the glass. Had the flat iron steak and the salmon. Both were perfectly cooked. Had the fish fritter appetizer and they were great. Light and flavorful. Wasn't a fan of the charcuterie plate but we should have asked what was on it. My husband didn't care for the head cheese that it came with. The Mac and cheese add on was very rich and very good. Blueberry tart desert was okay but the chocolate option - cake or tart don't really recall- was much better. This place is worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtful, Local, Seasonal, SimpleRLewDined on 10/30/2014Absolutely one of my favorite evenings dining out in a very long time. The most light and buttery pâté on the charcuterie board-- delicious crisp seasonal salad, succulent pork loin, cooked to perfection flat iron steak. Vegetables prepared so well I could eat pounds.. THE MACARONI & CHEESE. The best I have ever had. The wine selection is mostly old-world european, all thoughtfully selected. The cheese board and chocolate hazelnut dessert were divine. I hesitate telling too many folks about my new favorite, though. I want it all to myself!Special Features:
- My new favorite resturantPickyEaterDined on 10/18/2014I go there for the food, which is fresh, wonderful and perfectly seasoned. The only complaint I have, as with many resturants, it's too noisy. I don't think you can get a finer meal for the price anywhere in town.Special Features:
- Papilles again makes for a fun night!Luv2dineDined on 10/18/2014Papilles has gone back to its Prix Fixe (appetizer, entre and dessert) format, which is fun. They have modified it so you can order a la carte, and they charge a little extra for several items (e.g., charcuterie for appetizer and cheese plate for dessert), but over-all it is a great prix fixe bargain for $35. Anyway, we have always found the food to be quite good, and they change the menu every few weeks, so that is fun, too. The space is small, and can be cramped and/or noisy depending on where you are seated, but that also makes a festive neighborhood atmosphere. I recommend this place to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely recommendLABruinVIPDined on 10/18/2014Went for the first time this past Saturday before seeing a show at the Pantages. Food was simply amazing. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Hidden Gemduffy05Dined on 10/17/2014I was given a gift certificate to Papilles for my birthday, but my partner and I went for our anniversary. I think I was expecting a bigger restaurant, not one in the corner of a strip mall. Despite the outward appearance, we were pleasantly surprised by the interior. It was small and intimate, with about 10 or so tables, a wall stocked with wine and beer, and a small kitchen with only 2 chefs. I think the owners served as the maître d and the waiter. The limited prix fixe menu added to the ambiance of the place. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience and the food was outstanding. We would highly recommend it to our foodie friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hooray For HollywoodCarmabumDined on 10/16/2014I hate to write any review or rate this place for fear it will be overrun and we may lose this gem. Small and intimate with an outstanding prix fixe menu, everything was fantastic! Located in a funky mini mall just shy of the 101 off Franklin and Argyle, once inside, you'll soon forget the street outside. Warm and wonderful service, moderately priced. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placemkYYZLAX1Dined on 10/11/2014I can't believe it's in a strip mall. We walk down from Los Feliz and every time my husband and I have been there, we feel like we're transported. We feel like we're in NYC. We chat with our table neighbours (or not). We could be in Europe or in NYC. It's a completely non-LA experience. Going here feels like we're coming home ( I know it sounds cheesy). Oh, the food is off the hook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemdniteDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I love coming here for a change of pace. It's intimate, friendly and the food is excellent.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!PaulVWDined on 10/9/2014I went to Papilles with two friends for dinner and really enjoyed the intimate setting, friendly service and incredible food. The waiter was very attentive and the chef was very friendly as well. I live in the neighborhood and plan on coming back to Papilles on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Your Papilles Will Thank YoudpleacoffDined on 10/5/2014Great bistro style gem tucked away in a corner. Once inside youre instantly greeted and taken to a French getaway. Prefix menus and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo good!bizlikesfoodDined on 10/5/2014This is my second visit to Papilles and once again, it blew me away. My boyfriend and I loved our meals, everything was delicious, and complex, we left very very full. Can't wait to come back, love that we are live in the neighborhood!!Special Features:
- nnnnDined on 10/3/2014Great food. Presentation is way above average. Wines off the beaten track. Be adventurous Try thir suggestionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LloydVIPDined on 10/1/2014The restaurant serves a PrixFix menu for a very reasonable price of $34.00. They offer 3 appetizers and entrees and 2 desserts. The Sockeye Salmon and Flat Iron Steak were excellent. The argula salad was very good and the chocolate dessert was unbelievable.Special Features:
- For the Eclectic kindLanaluvsPapiDined on 9/30/2014Papilles Bistro never disappoints .This cuisine is sensually delicious leaving you fully satisfied ,.The atmosphere is cozy,Papilles seem to attract the laid back ,non-pretentious creative types,.This spot is definitely not for the snooty of heart, lol The Head Chef " Tim is not only a master in the kitchen, but he is warm and friendly disposition .The servers are very much on point ,and very attentive. For an unexpected enjoyable experience check out "Papilles".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new neighborhood bistroGregCDined on 9/20/2014I had an incorrect impression of Papilles. For some reason I thought it was experimental cuisine, and more expensive, and I've driven past it a hundred times without being particularly excited to try it. When I realized it was more of bistro experience, I got excited to check it out. I think Papilles is my new jam. The food was great and very well priced ($34 price fixe), with a 20+ bottle wine list almost entirely under $100, with lots of interesting stuff in the $50 range. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super SatisfyingdniteDined on 9/20/2014What a great place! While the exterior couldn't be too much worse (it's located in a nasty mini-mall by an entrance to the 101 Freeway), the inside is lovely. And the service and food are excellent. Very comfortable place to share a mealSpecial Features:
- Don't underestimate...HotaiDined on 9/20/2014This strip-mall corner tenant. The food, the service, the wine and the price are all top notch. The only reason I took a star from food was that my poached egg in my arugula/jamon serrano salad was runny (strange) but did I REALLY care? Nope. The fact one can still get a reservation three weeks in advance is a miracle. Do NOT tell your friends, I'd rather avoid the competition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good effort, but lack of caring.BandJVIPDined on 9/20/2014Four feet outside the front door is a drain for the parking lot with a puddle of water with 5-10 cigarette butts, ugh. Waiter wearing filthy levis, ugh. Wine, beer and water only, no iced tea or soft drinks. Wine served in water glasses ?. Very artistic plating, nice. Charcuterie=nice selection. Great baguette. Brandade fritters really good. Salmon came just as ordered, vegs perfectly al dente. I ordered pork loin and asked the waiter to be sure it is pink in the middle, he assured me that the chef only cooks it that way, instead of pork loin a 1 1/2 " thick pork chop was delivered, beautifully served but so well done (not a bit of pink) that it was hard to cut or chew, told the waiter but he did nothing but tell the cook. $106.82 w/o tipSpecial Features:
- Good As UsualScottVIPDined on 9/16/2014The only thing holding this place back is the location...It's around the corner from my house, but in the little mini-mark where it is...too bad it's not up the street along with Franklin & Co and Birds, etc...I wouldn't mind to see them take on La Poubelle's space, or even the Deli around the corner...Special Features:
- Hole in wall gemucalrob1Dined on 9/12/2014Wonderful, perfectly prepared food. Attentive service. Very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencebizlikesfoodDined on 9/3/2014I have been wanting to try Papilles for months now and it did not disappoint. The food was exceptional, the ambiance charming. It was a lovely experience. I came for my birthday and truly had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- kwakDined on 9/2/2014We've visited Papilles since it's opening and come back to find it familiar and new at the same time. We love it and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 5OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014All 5 of us were incredibly impressed with the food and the service. Some ordered the prix fixe, other a la carte. The halibut basquaise was outstanding; the steak eaters were raving. I greatly enjoyed the piquant tomato veloute and the ratatouille side dish. The desserts are small but full of flavor. The service is attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- DeliciousJMC13Dined on 8/23/2014I've eaten at Papilles several times. The food is always wonderful.Special Features:
- Dinner at Papilles on 23 Aug 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Overall I found this restaurant good, but a little overpriced for a French bistro. In terms of technique, I think the guys do great work; I got my steak "comme il faut." I thoroughly enjoyed my salade niçoise; if y'all did lunch and offered that as a bigger portion with fries or fried sliced potatoes, I'd come back EVERY weekend. Again, the skirt steak was perfectly cooked and seasoned along w/ the mushrooms. Your tres leches was good too. Y'all have nice bread and butter. The service is excellent and friendly. In terms of price, it could have been a little cheaper by a few dollars.Special Features:
- Love this place!PigEaterDined on 8/22/2014A charming neighborhood spot. Chef and staff are friendly and welcoming! Food is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A stunning eveninghappydinersDined on 8/20/2014This was our second visit to this small, hidden gem, and we were thrilled every step of the way. The ambience is welcoming, friendly, comfortable and very continental. The service staff are spot on: professional, knowledgable, helpful and friendly. The open kitchen is an unobtrusive great touch. The other diners were mellow, engaged, and talking in reasonable tones. The short, frequently changing menu: 3 starters, 3 entrees, 3 deserts was elegant and enticing. The Almond gazpacho was delicious and memorable, the steak and duck breast entrees cooked and seasoned beautifully, okra/mushrooms just right and a cheese platter with figs and honey, super. Our waiter matched wines skillfully, and we left satiated, excited and planning to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great prix-fixe mealGaryVIPDined on 8/17/2014A small, comfortable room serves as the locale for some great food. The prix-fixe menu is limited (a few starters a few mains), but everything is delicious. We dined on salmon and steak, both of which were fresh and well prepared. The steak came with the most wonderful accompaniment of corn and mushrooms. The atmosphere was relaxing, and the service was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie88Foodie88VIPDined on 8/9/2014It's our neighborhood gem, a good pre fix menu of 3 courses for $36! I really like their salad nicoise, the cod was good but not excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSuperfan1Dined on 8/7/2014One of the best hidden secrets in Los angeles. Some of the best food in the city. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.