55 Grand Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://papatzul.com/
- Phone: (212) 274-8225
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Happy Hour prices Bar area only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Regional Mexican, Traditional Mexican, Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Thierry Amezcua
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Off-site catering is available for 5 to 500 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Located in the heart of SoHO, Papatzul can accommodate parties of 20 to 30. For larger parties we can close the restaurant. Whether a sit down dinner for 60 or the popular Taco & Margaritas Party for up to 80, we are an ideal location for a a holiday party, with very festive atmosphere and décor.
- Private Party Contact: Thierry Amezcua 8886043929
- Entertainment: Live Mexican music on occasion, including authentic "Huapango" music.
A word from Papatzul
Papatzul features authentic regional Mexican classics with a modern twist. Our expansive bar offers over forty tequilas, fantastic sangria and specialty margaritas. The dining room is both casual and elegant, featuring the work of various Mexican artists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Papatzul reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Fabulous!MarcyDined on 11/3/2014Great selection of tequila/mescal for any type of margarita you might be able to dream up. But the food was really the winner here- delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No restaurant for vegetariansTineDined on 10/31/2014Even if you are not a vegetarian, there is really too much meat in the dishes. As such, only one person of our group of 6 could finish his dish. Service was good and people were friendly.Special Features:
- We all had a great meal!!lunchproVIPDined on 9/1/2014Loved the restaurant and location. Terrific food and I will go back!!Special Features:
- The following 190 reviews are from the Papatzul reviews archive.
- Killer. Just Killer.KraczyDined on 4/26/2014Came with a bunch of friends for my birthday - we added guests at the very last minute and the staff was extremely accommodating. The drinks - especially anything with their smoked tequila - pack a punch and are absolutely delicious. The food is authentic, flavorful and will keep you ordering more. I always judge Mexican restaurants on their guac - it's fantastic.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningpbjluverDined on 4/26/2014Nothing to complain about. Our reservation was honored right on time, great table. Perfect service, friendly waitress. Water glasses were constantly being re-filled...I like that...attentive staff. Food was outstanding. We started with the delicious guacamole...YUM! I had the fish tacos, while my friends had the duck enchilades in mole sauce. Not a crumb was left on any of our plates. Will definitely return to Papatzul. Will also recommend to others.Special Features:
- Mexican Birthday CelebrationCartoonGuyVIPDined on 2/6/2014A really fun place to throw a birthday party for a small group of friends. Great food, friendly vibe.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014Good spot for date night or group dining. Truly a neighborhood gem in soho . The corn with sour cream, queso cheese, and lime served in a bowl is a must try appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lively!lattieDined on 12/14/2013very goodfood, especially the mole was fantastic. really nice place to have drink (or more) during happy hour and than have some great mexican food. good cocktail menu so enough to pick from.. was recommendedby a friend; will defenitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, not GreatDininOutVIPDined on 11/10/2013Salad was so-so and not cheap. The Corn cakes with Chorizo were DRY. Duck enchiladas were overpowered by mole sauce. Little duck meat inside. Slow roasted pork also overpowered by sauce. Waitress couldn't have been slower yet only 2 tables had people. Won't go back again. Chipolte better and cheaper!!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty solid Mexican fairbeaneaterDined on 11/7/2013Pretty solid Mexican fair this far from the border. strong margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must go for Mexican foodPaoloVIPDined on 9/28/2013Papazul offers an authentic Mexican menu in a beautiful setting. Reliably friendly to all kind of patrons, whether grown-ups or kids for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb authentic Mexican foodDJdinerDined on 8/1/2013An unexpected find in SoHo. Unpretentious, excellent service and great food & unusual tequila and mescal drinks. Started with a pungent mescal, pomegranate and lime cocktail with a smoked chile powder rim. Salsas & chips excellent, as we're the enchiladas de huitlacoche in a salsa verde--perhaps the best enchiladas I've ever had. Duck enchiladas in a red sauce also extremely tasty. Would go back in a minute.ySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2013Felt like I was in Mexico: the food was delicious and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty fish tacos!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/22/2013My husband bought a coupon for this restaurant through Living Social -- that's what prompted us to try it. I ordered the non-fried version of their fish tacos and enjoyed them. The flavor was good, but I found the fish portion to be a bit small. My husband's dish (pork cooked in banana leaves) was okay, nothing memorable. Same with the chips and guacamole. The margaritas (we had the hibiscus version, as well as the tamarind version) were very good. So, stick with the fish tacos and a margarita and you should be pleased.
- Solid Traditional MexicandeliusfanVIPDined on 5/20/2013This is not your Tex-Mex restaurant; I immediately recognized Cochinita Pibil as being one of the traditional dishes from the Yucatan that I have made my go-to dish in many a traditional Mexican restaurant. But not today; the braised pork tostadas were really excellent. My dining partner and I got two different appetizers; we should have both gotten the same. Something about the marinade and the braising just really brought the pork to a special place. In fact, they were actually in many ways better than our mains, the rojo chicken enchiladas, and fish tacos. However, the homemade dulce de leche ice cream with homemade cajeta (two things I know a lot about from my own kitchen experience) were the perfect rebound to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2013We had a positive if unremarkable experience here. We were looking for a place in Tribeca near a party that wasn't rated "$$$$" and would easily seat a group of five. (Fit all of those criteria splendidly.) Visited with a group of five. We had a pitcher of red sangria, then entrees for all. Mostly different kinds of tacos, someone got impressive looking duck enchiladas, one Palmitas salad. (The salad looked pretty dull, but I didn't eat it.) Solid Mexican fare, good flavors, good wait staff. Didn't knock my socks off, but I wouldn't protest to going back.Special Features:
- Duck Enchiladas!NYCoupleVIPDined on 5/5/2013The guacamole is delicious here but their duck enchiladas in almond mole is really superb. Service is efficient and friendly and they even had a mariachi trio performing on Cinco de Mayo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, very noisy, but tastyPeachesDined on 4/26/2013We loved the food, but it was much too noisy. It could have been a much better ambience without the high decibel. I would go back for the food!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, authentic Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/12/2013The food here is pretty amazing; my friends from Mexico say this is THE best Mexican food in New York (an elusive quest). The only issue is we had a reservation, but we weren't seated for another 45 minutes, which we found a bit annoying. The staff was apologetic and even gave us a few things on the house, so all in all not a horrible experience.Special Features:
- Its hard to be excited aboutfinikyVIPDined on 4/6/2013Its hard to be excited about a restaurant in NY Soho area that is absolutely empty at noon on a Saturday. It was recommended to us which is what brought us there. Food was okay but nothing special. A little off the regular path of Soho. Might try again maybe late in the afternoon to see if it is better. Service typical to a Mexican restaurant - usually nonexistent.
- The mexican food was decent.CHAKDined on 3/30/2013The mexican food was decent. The restaurant seating is too close for comfort. Service could have been more attentive.Special Features:
- Delicious Mexican FoodBigApple1Dined on 3/2/2013Fantastic food at a great price. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013We had a living social special and the selections were quite delicious. The presentation and taste were very good. Also the margaritas were delicious and generous sized. The front of the bar had very loud music, but didn't affect the back of the dining room. We were able to hear one another. We had a 6pm reservation. By the time we left, all seats were full.Special Features:
- The place was packed withjamieDined on 1/31/2013The place was packed with a preppy, posh crowd on a thursday night. The service was awful. Everyone working there looked like they were depressed, and we had to get the waiters' attention any time we needed something, including just ordering dinner. The chips and guacamole were terrific, and the margaritas were great. The entrees were dripping with oil and that amazing. If I were to go back it would be after work, for just margaritas and the guac, then off to somewhere else. Not highly recommended, you can do better for Mexican!
- My food was delicious. LookingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013My food was delicious. Looking for low-carb options, the waitress (who was lovely and knowledgable), suggested a different entree than the one I had originally selected, and I'm glad she did; it was excellent. The only slight negative is that our second round of drinks took a curiously long time to appear; usually restaurants rush the drinks right over. But all in all my family and I very much enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- Everything we had was firstnathbeckVIPDined on 1/19/2013Everything we had was first rate - especially love the mole de pato and the cochinita. Great place and great (and friendly) chef/owner.Special Features:
- Very good with room for improvementParamountDined on 1/11/2013The food at Papatzul was excellent on my last visit, pretty good on a prior visit. Their service could use a bit of improvement -- not that it is bad, it is adequate but the prices are high enough that I expect to feel special. I'll probably go back again, but I'd go back sooner if the service were top notch.
- Mediocre FoodepiskeyDined on 1/2/2013Went in a group of three. We all got different things and shared. The guacamole was not really worth it. The only dish we enjoyed was the mole. Overall, it was not worth the experience.Special Features:
- I went with a friend on 12/23/2012.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2012I went with a friend on 12/23/2012. The restaurant was not as packed / noisy as I expected. We were able to carry a conversation. The ambiance was just right, cosy and light. We ordered magaritta (Tropicale) as suggested, and we both loved it. We ordered four tapas and they were fantasitic. In particular, we loved the slow cooked pork. The service was OK, but we sometimes had to call for the waitress's attention. Overall, it's a great place for foodies.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereDieferDinerVIPDined on 12/13/2012The thing I love most about this place is that the food is always very good, the margaritas are always tasty (if a bit weak), and the atmosphere is nice but not glitzy, and casual but clean and festive.Special Features:
- Great lively place with awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012Great lively place with awesome tapas. Place is live and fun and would be awesome place for group dinners.Special Features:
- We come here all the time.greenmachine80VIPDined on 11/16/2012We come here all the time. Great happy hour and food is always good. My favorite is the Alhambra de res and the enchilada dsl mar.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. IOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2012The food was excellent. I got masa topped with shredded chicken and my friend ordered the fish tacos. Both were delicious and so were the margaritas. Really cute atmosphere and great music (that still allowed for good conversation). I love this place!Special Features:
- Best authentic Mexican joint in nyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/6/2012These are best margaritas in town. And the food is exquisite. All 6 of us enjoyed it a lot.Special Features:
- Go to Papatzul!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2012This is my third visit to Papatzul and it has become my favorite Mexican restaurant! The food presentations are always pleasing, the service is always attentive. The Concanita Pibil (a pulled pork dish) is outstanding. The Chili/Chocolate mini flan with cinnamon ice cream is a perfect ending to any dish there! Their margaritas are unusual and fun. A word of caution however don't go in there on a Friday night and expect to have quiet conversation! It can get a bit loud!Special Features:
- Relaxed atmosphere, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2012Relaxed atmosphere, attentive service, excellent food. Had the fish tacos, steak tacos, and sangria. Highly recommend all!Special Features:
- Great food. Good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/7/2012Great food. Good service. Finally a place that does non fried fish tacos like the west coast! Slow roast pork was delish as well. Will go again. Recommended.Special Features:
- best fish tacos i have evermdb35VIPDined on 8/25/2012best fish tacos i have ever had. Food was excellent.
- overall such a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012overall such a wonderful experience...loved the food!!!Special Features:
- I love this restaurant. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2012I love this restaurant. It serves some of the best Mexican in the city!Special Features: