Papadam Flavors of India
1448 First Ave
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Papadam Flavors of India
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.papadaminnyc.com/
- Phone: 2128796000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Joseph Rodricks
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer everything on the menu for catering and we also offer customized dishes.
- Special Events: Birthdays, Graduation or any other event
A word from Papadam Flavors of India
Fine Dining at regular prices. The food is cooked with different herbs and spices. Each dish is unique and delectable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Papadam Flavors of India - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Papadam Flavors of India reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (8)romantic (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- India with a very personal touchgabrijVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have a few favorite Indian restaurants in the NY Metro area, but had not been out for Indian on the Upper East until this week. So after a bit of exploring on OpenTable and Yelp, I made reservations and Papadam, and was very happy with the results. It was just dinner for two, and we were both fasting from meat, so I can only comment on a few vegetarian appetizers and entrees. All were quite good. Spicy (as requested) but not too much, tasty, and generous servings. As far as the ambience, the restaurant is small and family run. We felt very welcome from the moment we arrived until we left, and I really felt like we were eating at somebody's home. I look forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PappadamOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/4/2014Food, service excellent. Restaurant would not honor our open table $20 check for dinner. They said they have no way of verifying it and they have been on the phone with you and many times you have been rude to them. I was left with a very sour taste upon leaving not knowing who to be annoyed with: open table or Pappadam.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Great food, & the owner and his wife went out of their way to make sure we had a good dining experience. Variety of Indian dishes on the menu. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!DerumDined on 6/27/2014Great food and service, worth the crosstown. Can not recommend highly enough. Best Indian food in NYC? Yes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemAnonymousDined on 6/27/2014My boyfriend and I have been here twice and each time the food was delicious (truly a cut above just about every other Indian I've had in the neighborhood) and the owners gave us very personalized attention that really turned a great meal into a special experience. This is our new go-to in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- excellent creative indian foodmchlgrnvlVIPDined on 6/21/2014Having not dined in an Indian restaurant in New York, I have no local frame of reference. I have dined in many Indian restaurants in the US and UK. The attentiveness of the owner and his wife was exemplary. The service was good. The food was great and more creative than most. I would strongly recommend this restaurant to New Yorkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Foodawhite31VIPDined on 5/21/2014We picked Papadam Flavors of India to celebrate my wife's birthday and had the most amazing meal. Papdam is every bit as good as our favorite NYC Indian standbys (Tamarind and Dawat) and yet it is right here on the Upper East Side. The owner and his wife could not have been any nicer or more caring to our party of 6. We tried several of our favorite dishes while also branching out a bit based on dishes the owner recommended. Everything we ate was delicious. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- The Best Indian Food in NYCElaineVIPDined on 5/19/2014What a wonderful find and we come here every time we are in NYC. The marvelous food carefully selected by the warm and gracious hosts make this a great favorite of our and we are very particular about Indian Food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian foodyumyumVIPDined on 5/6/2014Varied menu in addition to traditional Indian favorites. Chef will vary spice level according to requests. A great place for a neophyte to taste and appreciate Indian food. Owner is helpful in suggesting dishes to meet your particular taste.Special Features:
- Best Indian in the neighborhoodAnjJDined on 5/5/2014All around, the best - service, food, ambiance. Go there right now.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the Papadam Flavors of India reviews archive.
- Wonderful neighborhood spotDinerk8VIPDined on 4/8/2014We've been looking for good Indian food and glad we followed the Open Table reviewers. The food was so fresh and flavorful, the service attentive. The restaurant is small and not much atmosphere but with food this good we didn't care. Also easy on the pocket book.
- Outstanding FoodPeterMcDined on 3/22/2014Friendly family restaurant with probably the best Indian food I have tasted in the USA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true neighborhood gem! VeryLaurelDined on 3/22/2014A true neighborhood gem! Very friendly atmosphere, staff was attentive and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Another Great Experience at PapadamAlexandraDined on 3/8/2014We just keep coming back, because they get everything right! The food is consistently excellent, the owners are delightful and caring, and the experience is top notch! Love coming here - we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Authentic Indian FoodSonicDined on 2/17/2014Loved the food. It was our first time and were super pleased with the food and atmosphere. Prices are pretty reasonable too if you compare it with other choices for Indian in the area. Food is delicious! The hosts were very helpful and they also made suggestions on what to order and what was their favorites. Def. a pleasant experience and would be going there again. It's too bad that upper East side is a little off the beaten path for me so I don't make it much there but it's def. worth the visit.Special Features:
- A surprisingly charming experience4657Dined on 2/15/2014We were going to be in the neighborhood and were craving Indian food, so we ended up at Papadam. I made a reservation a couple hours before since I wasn't sure how busy it would be later on (it was Saturday night), but when we got there at 7 the place was empty. Normally I take this as a sign of a bad restaurant, but we were there so we stayed, and I sure am glad we did! We were feeling particularly indecisive so one of the staff members (who I presumed was the manager) picked some things out for us. They were all incredible! We got lots of attention from the wait staff, but not so much that it was annoying. We were so charmed by the staff and the food was delightful. Will certainly go here next time I'm in Manhattan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Indian CuisineAlanKVIPDined on 2/9/2014I very much enjoyed the coconut soup, the spicy cauliflower, and the barbequed chicken with green rice. Everything was fresh and tasty. If you want to try or enjoy Indian food, I would absolutely recommend this food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Everything my friends and I ordered was delicious and the final bill was very reasonable even though we had a couple of glasses of wine each.
- dinner with another couplesdelph13Dined on 1/11/2014Hello, the service was really good, the food was also very good and we ask for some not too spicy and for other spicy and everything was very respected. the only wired thing was we were the only client for the evening and we felt sorry for the restaurant because the food and service are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Indian restaurant onjojoDined on 1/8/2014Lovely Indian restaurant on the UES. I've been there many times and will return. The owners are delightful and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love love it!AlexandraDined on 12/25/2013I can't say enough good things about this place! The owners are absolutely committed to their diner's experience, not to mention a pleasure to talk with. The food is delicious - try the cauliflower! I haven't tried anything on the menu that I didn't absolutely love. I've been here with friends and family, and it works for any size group. It's a small restaurant, but it makes for a personalized experience and quiet dining.Special Features:
- UES Supurb Indian CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/12/2013Take a culinary trip through India at Papadam. We've dined at Papadam several times and have enjoyed the wide variety of Indian cuisine. Ask your server for help in planning a unique dining experience. The service could not be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best IndiansMrMoonshineDined on 11/16/2013I've lived in Madhattan for 5.5 years, and I've found that good Indian restaurants are few and far between. I tried this one and it was everything I hoped an Indian would be... warm, atmospheric interior; attentive, friendly staff; and, most importantly, lovely food. The only, minor, issue are the papadams. I had hoped that, after naming itself after these delectable Indian appetisers, this restaurant wouldn't fall into the trap that every other Indian in this city does – namely, having the flatter papadams that simply don't compare to the delicious ones I am used to (that are far more common in London, where I am from). That said, one of the best Indian restaurants I've been to in this country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just loved itbrasilDined on 11/12/2013Went there with my feance, her mother and mine. We arrived a tad late but they honored our reservation. We loved the food. Best Indian food ever! I usually do not eat fish, but this time I had every last bit! Just ask for the suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicest local Indian restaurantJoanVIPDined on 11/10/2013Gracious host made this a particularly pleasant meal. Fine Indian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2013Excellent food. Very friendly staff who were helpful with questions about the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian restaurant in NYyumyumVIPDined on 11/5/2013I have eaten in many Indian restaurants in New York--Papadam is at the top of my list. The food is extraordinary; it is so flavorful--best lamb chops ever. Even people who are not Indian-food lovers can find something to eat with the large selection of dishes on the menu. The staff is very warm and welcoming and is helpful in making suggestions based on what food you like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageconnieVIPDined on 10/20/2013Seemed to do a lot of take out food maybe I try that as there was no atmosphere staff super niceSpecial Features:
- Best Upper East Side IndianMetFanVIPDined on 10/13/2013We've been to Papadam a dozen times, with small and big groups, and every time has been great. The food is outstanding, but the service is what makes every visit great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlyshajDined on 10/10/2013Very small establishment with excellent food and very attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good Indian foodPaulineVIPDined on 10/5/2013The spinach soup was out of this world! The tomato chutney(which comes with the meal) is sooooo good. Definitely will return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DH and I had a very nice dinnermlgm8rDined on 9/27/2013DH and I had a very nice dinner here. Food was great: Lamb Rogan Josh was very nicely balanced - not overly heavy; Bengali Fish Curry was excellent (highly recommended); and classic Chicken Tandoor was delicious. The only slight hiccup was that we had to wait too long for the check and it only came after we asked for it. Maybe they thought we were on a long date but that wasn't the case.Special Features:
- Papadam - intimite, friendly, tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2013On the hunt for a good curry in Manhattan, Papadums hit the spot: tasty, great service. Delicious appetizers; different from standard fare. My keralan curry main was lovely & we really enjoyed the pepper lamb. The service was good if a bit OTT at times. I was slightly disappointed by the spice levels - the waiter told me my dish would be medium spicy - I said I like spicy food and would like it to be hot, but when it arrived the chilli was undetectable. Nevertheless the dish was very nice. Also: it was raining heavily and one of our guests arrived drenched; the owners offered him a shirt to wear while they hung his up to dry; they refused to take any money for it & insisted he kept it! We left touched by their generosity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/31/2013If you are looking for great Indian food served by the most hospitable people, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hands down, best Indian food in NYCmbrgDined on 8/24/2013We've always admired Papadam for it's quiet and comfortable ambiance, very friendly service, and above all, the most delicious Indian food we've ever had. And we've had a lot. To sum up the meal, we had a round of tamarind martinis, followed by an all-vegetarian meal -- the Hari Bari Tikki appetizer, Navratan korma, and Aloo Gobi. So delicious and satisfying. The owners and waiters are all incredibly friendly and truly care about their customers. They even serve the first portion of the meal onto the plates, adding an element of true class that is so rare for a neighborhood restaurant. There is no shortage of Indian joints in NYC, but Papadam is the best! If you're in the area, you're in luck! If not, it's definitely worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Lovely ServiceElaineVIPDined on 8/20/2013We totally enjoyed our dinner at Papadam and would come again every time we return to NYC. The owner helped us select great dishes and we devoured all of them. It is a really marvelous Indian restaurant.Special Features:
- Indian done very well.IslandGirlVIPDined on 7/26/2013Our last evening in NYC and we were craving Indian. I did a search and based on reviews we decided to go here. From the moment we walked in everyone was very accommodating, friendly and willing to answer our questions. We wanted to try some different dishes than our usual and were guided to some excellent new dishes. All of the food came out promptly and when I asked if they made a sweet lassi for me even though it wasn't on the menu. We thought we'd ordered an extra appetizer but we must have missed something so we then ordered an extra dish - saag paneer - my favourite. The dish was so good that I literally cleaned out the bowl with my naan. We are back in NYC fairly often and I will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best indian in NYNinaVIPDined on 7/25/2013My boyfriend took me here for my birthday. The fantastic food and outstandingly lovely staff made it a very special occasion. definitely the best indian restaurant I've been to in NYC.Special Features:
- One of the best Indian placesBostonianDined on 7/19/2013Went to New York with a family (5 people) and wanted to eat Indian food - we love it and ate in many places before. We read reviews on yelp and opentable and decided to give this place a try. And boy - were we happy!. The owners themselves came to our table and made suggestions about appetizers, they were very nice - food was delicious, came out fast, atmosphere is nice, table beautifully served. We expresses our happiness with food to the owners and got free desserts to try. We tried different curries and liked all of them - level of spiciness was as we ordered. Price was good -not expensive - and it was only 9 minutes by taxi from Times Sq. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experience!LocalfoodieDined on 7/16/2013Very shortly after I made the ressie thru Open Table the owner of Papadam called me to see if my party (8ppl) was for a special occasion. She asked if we would need a cake or had any special drink/food requests. It was just friends night meeting for dinner so no special occasion but the forethought that went into that call carried through the attentiveness of the staff throughout the entire dining experience. We decided to have fun and order everything for the table to be shared so that everyone could sample each dish and there was not a single one that wasn't a hit. The food is Scrupmcious! and the restaurant is a great neighborhood gem. Hands down some of the very best Indian food I've ever had in NYC! I will definitely be a regular : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.