PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar
2975 Roosevelt Street
Carlsbad, CA 92008Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.paoncarlsbad.com/
- Phone: 7607297377
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday 11:30am - 2pm Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: David Gallardo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Barr 7607297377
A word from PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar
Paon restaurant offers California cuisine with French influences. Beautiful patio dining, elegant Art Deco in intimate dining setting. Private dining available in handsome club environment. Paon chef features seasonal, locally grown organic produce for the palates of fine food lovers from all over the world. Spotlighting organic prime meats, game and fish prepared with traditional French sophistication. Beautiful lounge with old Hollywood feel and relaxing patio in a Downtown Carlsbad Village atmosphere. Paon's knowledgeable and attentive staff looks forward to creating an exceptional experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Carlsbad ›
PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (48)special occasion (44)romantic (39)fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (9)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Fresh, vibrant, beautiful food!DiscerningdinnerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Celebrating my friend's birthday is always fun; commemorating it at Paon made it memorable thanks to the incredible food. We started with a red and green gazpacho with vibrant fresh flavors fresh from the garden, followed by more garden goodness--a lovely tomato salad, layered with creamy mozzarella, and topped with crisp, peppery arugula all drizzled with an aged balsamic vinegar. Then we shared another tasty special, seared sea bass with mushrooms, charred tear-drop tomatoes, and perfectly cooked baby, patty pan yellow squash. The dish came with mashed potatoes, and even they were delicious! Do you roast the potatoes? Although we were pleasantly full we had the mint ice cream. Wow! This herbaceous, creamy dessert was surprising & yummy.Special Features:
- Paon Revisit ...SlvrbkDined on 8/12/2014We revisited Paon to celebrate an anniversary and were, again, very satisfied with the experience. This time we had the special fig appetizer (shared), the menu pork and the special Angus beef main dishes, and finished with the cheese sampler to finish an excellent meal. The Frank Family cabernet was very nice, although pricey, and the noise level was greatly reduced from our earlier visit by having a later reservation. Definitely a recommended location ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SandiDined on 8/12/2014GREAT place to celebrate a special birthday! Wonderful ambiance, delicious food, efficient and delightful service - definitely a memorable night!Special Features:
- Best EateryChicagoDined on 8/10/2014Excellent food, pleasant atmosphere, great service, a memorable occasion, and sure to return!Special Features:
- dinner with friendstapasDined on 8/6/2014We've been to Paon before and enjoy it very much. The food is always top notch and service is always great. Consistency with food quality is of the utmost importance. I find that Paon stays pretty consistent with their quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many great mealsTrishDined on 8/2/2014We come here often and we are never wrong about the food, service and ambiance. We will continue to dine here. The home made mint ice cream was like none I have ever had. It really tastes like fresh mint, not the over sweetened store bought stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ConsistantDrBobDined on 8/2/2014We always enjoy our dining experience at Paon. The food is consistently delicious and well presented at a very good value. Their wine list is extensive. The service is professional and attentive while still friendly and warm. We are always made to feel special.Special Features:
- good but surprised by the reviewslove2goVIPDined on 8/1/2014We dined at Paon a few nights ago. The food, service and place were quite good but did not live up to our expectations based on the reviews here. We may be a bit spoiled coming from San Francisco, New York and Paris but the reviews here on a on "another site" seemed to indicate that the food was on par with 5 star places we'd find there ... not the case except for the prices! Everything we ordered (3 of us had 3 courses) was very tasty but un-inspired ... all quite nice but at these prices and with these reviews we expected a "point of view" and personal expression from the chef through their food that'd make us take note. The wine list + service accomplished this but the food was only good and not "exceptional" as merits a 5 rating.Special Features:
- Great dinnerDenisejDined on 7/29/2014Excellent atmosphere, wonderful food. The Reisling was one of the best I had ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!SilVousPlaitDined on 7/18/2014I booked the reservation through OpenTable and was not disappointed. Our dinner here was simply amazing. The service was impeccable . Incredible ambience sitting out on the front patio with the chandeliers and the fountain in the background . Made for a perfect romantic dinner! The noise level in the Main dining room was way too high for me but I am very sensitive to noise. Being out on the front patio worked out perfectly. I look forward to coming back to this amazing restaurant again soonSpecial Features:
- Great waiterStellDined on 7/11/2014The support staff was a bit aggressive clearing the table to the extent that at one point they had to replace some items that they removed. The experience was a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Carlsbad restaurantMikeVIPDined on 7/7/2014We get to Carlsbad once or twice a year. We always eat at least once at PAON. Service is excellent without being obtrusive. The wine is reasonably priced. This trip we had the rib eye, escargot, and a special lobster/crab salad. All were excellent. The rib eye was cooked to the correct temperature and nicely presented. We definitely recommend this as the best restaurant in Carlsbad.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent Fine DiningRUN2EATVIPDined on 7/1/2014We have now eaten dinner at PAON 4 times in the last month & a half. The food is consistently outstanding, prepared well and one gets a very generous portion. The service has consistently been outstanding. We would highly recommend PAON to anyone who enjoys fine dining.Special Features:
- my dollars elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014appetizer (raviolis)- no flavor and cheese wasn't even warm, short ribs braised for 6-hours were dry, vegetarian girlfriend passed on the vegetables, for $175 really, really poor food - service was good but couldn't make up for the food
- Special Occasion ChoiceBowgieDined on 6/28/2014The quality of food matches the prices. Restaurant is described as French, but is more of French preparation style with a pan-European and world entree choices. Perfect example is the gazpacho, which classically should have bread worked into the soup mix. Paon's version is a lovely red and green with a center piece of lobster bits and cream in the soup mix. Creative, if not not particularly Spanish. For dessert, I would normally consider $10 for bread pudding ridiculous, but their version is far elevated above the ordinary with accompanying sauteed cherries and extra flourishes. If I had to gripe it would be that Paon maintains the sad American restaurant tradition of overpricing wines to go with the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PAONVdayloverVIPDined on 6/25/2014My second visit here and was completely impressed with the high level of attention to service and the food was superb, a must for those who enjoy 5⭐️ dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFrankVIPDined on 6/23/2014Have dined at Paon many times and will continue to do so. Great location in the heart of Carlsbad Village. Food, wine, and service all top notch. One of the best dining experiences you'll find in San Diego County...or anywhere!Special Features:
- Best in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014This is our go to place in Carlsbad. As long as we continue to receive great service and wonderfully delicious meals, this will remain as our go to place. When there's just the 2 of us or want casual fare, we dine in the bar. Both Annie & JK are terrific bartenders and friendly knowledge servers make dinning in the bar feel quaint and special. Our parents, family love to celebrate bdays and other special occasions there. And now with the warm weather, sitting out on the front patio is lovely. What can I say regarding the food? Everything is wonderful! This most recent visit, the standouts are gazpacho soup, Indian spiced prawn salad, rib eye, short ribs and salmon. I'm sure we'll be going back in the next week or two. Love Paon.Special Features:
- Fine DiningweddingweekendDined on 6/13/2014The quality of the food at Paon was outstanding, as well as the service. The seared tuna was our favorite entrée and the soup of the day was flavorful and beautifully presented. The server was very attentive and went out of his way to assist with the wine selections. The outdoor dining area was a good choice..soft lighting and appropriately heated.Special Features:
- Not very exceptionalEQSDinerDined on 6/12/2014As visitors to the Calsbad area, we were looking forward to dinner at Paon, and while not a bad experience, it wasn't very exceptional given the price. While the service and the overall setting were good, the food proved rather bland and run of the mill. Which was a shame as we were so looking for our final dinner in Calsbad to be bit more memorable.Special Features:
- finfoodlvrDined on 6/7/2014The service was outstanding as our waiter described each dish with enthusiasm. The presentation was excellent. We ordered pheasant and duck, both were outstanding. We had cannelloni for dessert that also was a treat and capped off a truly memorable culinary experience. This was one of several outstanding meals at PAONSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ted1Dined on 6/7/2014Our first time there, this is a keeper! The gaspacho was wonderful and Pacific salmon was magnifique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent Fine DiningRUN2EATVIPDined on 6/3/2014This is the 2nd time that the 3 of us have dined at PAON in the past couple of weeks. We were not disappointed. PAON consistently provides a fine dining experience. The food is always outstanding, well prepared and delicious. The service as usual was outstanding and the ambiance cannot be beat if one wants to have a relaxing fine dining experience with friends and family members. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who would want, and would enjoy, a consistently great fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MJMSBVIPDined on 5/28/2014The wine shop associated with the restaurant has a quite extensive selection and a fine appetizer menu. The beef short ribs are superb. everything about Paon is first rateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining At Its BestRUN2EATVIPDined on 5/20/2014Our dining experience was very memorable. PAON offers excellent food, prepared to perfection, and great service in a relaxed environment. The wine list is one of the best we have found at a restaurant. We have dined here several times and have never been disappointed. A friend joined us, and she thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The 3 of us plan to dine here again in the not too distant future. Would highly recommend PAON to anyone who wants a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014This restaurant was recommended to us from a family friend. Parking was simple and the option to sit outside was offered. It was a nice setting. Service was good. The food was good too. I just ordered Salmon, and it was tasty. The Apple Walnut Salad - AMAZING!!!!Special Features:
- Very Nice RestuarantEZHawkVIPDined on 5/16/2014Enjoyed great service and wonderful food. Would recommend. Great outside dining area.Special Features:
- Perfect nightClaverDined on 5/16/2014Wife and I have eaten here before and thought that it would be a great place to have our 33 RD wedding anniversary dinner. Awesome beet salad, main course and wonderful wine selection. I would recommend this venue to anyone who enjoys fine dinning and great service!!Special Features:
- Great food!!JackDined on 5/11/2014Our meal was delicious, the wine great and the service the best!! A terrific place for a mother's day dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/4/2014We came here for dinner while on vacation in Carlsbad on a Sunday evening. As it was Sunday, the restaurant was quiet, which worked out well for us. We had a lot of attention from our server, who actually went to Paon's wine store next door to get us wine options since my husband was ordering by the glass and nothing on the menu jumped out to him. The wines were outstanding, as was the food. My husband especially enjoyed the tuna/salmon tartare appetizer. Highly recommend for a nice meal.Special Features:
- The Go To place in Carlsbad !SurfzenDined on 4/30/2014Excellant, prompt service. A fine chef for sure. Nice ambiance. Probably one of the best short ribs outside of France. We are most fortunate to have Paon and Pamplemousse in North County. If I had my own personal trainer I would be at one or the other every couple of days I think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 403 reviews are from the PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- What a gem! Paon is a treasure.souptonutsDined on 4/20/2014A friend and I wanted to meet for Easter Sunday dinner. We were not disappointed when we went to Paon. The outside dining area is lovely, shaded, with greenery and an outdoor fireplace. The owner was most accommodating. The wine list was an oenophile's delight. I was disappointed that there were only three lamb ribs, but it was some of the best I have ever had. Everything was delightful. My friend was happy with her filet mignon. We shared a cannoli dessert, and loved it! I would be remiss if I did not mention the service. It was excellent. The young man who waited on our table was knowledgeable, thoughtful, and pleasant without being intrusive. We greatly enjoyed Paon. Although it was pricey, it was worth it! It is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningDd4eatsVIPDined on 4/19/2014Our best of restaurants we try to go once a month good food best service ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!foodsnobDined on 4/18/2014My friend and I went for lunch, and were delighted with the menu and the food. Service good as well. Love the bread, even!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food alwaysFRESSERDined on 4/17/2014Paon is a great find here in the north county. It serves consistently good food and delivers with good service.Great high quality plates from the kitchen. great desserts. I love painSpecial Features:
- Front Patio DiningWadiegoDined on 4/5/2014I went here on a Saturday night with my wife for date night. We sat outside in the front patio and that was a good choice as the lighting was nice and it was relatively quiet compared to dining inside. I liked the set up in this area as the tables are nice and they made it look like a nice garden. We did sit for a while before our waiter came over to get a drink order, once he made contact he was pretty attentive after that. We order two martinis which were not very good, I would not recommend getting them again, the bartender put way too much vermouth in them. We ordered two salads which were excellent and then had the scallops and short ribs as our main course. Both were very tasty and well presented. This place is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfailingly excellent every time!DiningdivasDined on 4/5/2014This is undoubtedly the best restaurant in North SD County and one of the two best in the whole county. Service is impeccable, food is not adventurous but solid good offerings every time. I just had the best filet of my life here but all of the salads, starters and entrees are delicious. The desserts could use a bit more imagination. They are ok but could get a boost to go to extra special in keeping with everything else at Paon. Get a table on the patio where it is romantic and very pleasant. I thoroughly recommend this place. If you want to spend a bit less, the bar menu is just as fabulous.Special Features:
- Great for solo dining or on a date.seasidedinerDined on 4/1/2014Restaurant dining room provides a pleasant atmosphere with a level of privacy when out with someone for a special evening. The service staff provides attention without being intrusive. Separately, the bar is very nice when dinning solo. The cliental are nice and the owners and staff will make you feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elouge por PaonSlvrbkDined on 3/28/2014We would highly recommend Paon's for it's excellent food (we had the scallops and the pheasant) and Service. Wine list is a bit pricey but the selections fit the menu well. No sound partition between the bar and the eating area which made conversation a bit of a challenge during happy hour. Will visit again with a later reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to CarlsbaddavidhDined on 3/23/2014While attending a wedding in Carlsbad we experienced the most delightful dining experience one could experience, The Paon restaurant. From start to finish, perfection. I had the Halibut, which I consider a most difficult entree to prepare properly, and my partner the lamb. I have never before written a review of this sort, however I was so impressed, I want to share our experience with anyone who enjoys very good food.Special Features: