PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar
2975 Roosevelt Street
Carlsbad, CA 92008Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.paoncarlsbad.com/
- Phone: 7607297377
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday 11:30am - 2pm Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: David Gallardo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Barr 7607297377
A word from PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar
Paon restaurant offers California cuisine with French influences. Beautiful patio dining, elegant Art Deco in intimate dining setting. Private dining available in handsome club environment. Paon chef features seasonal, locally grown organic produce for the palates of fine food lovers from all over the world. Spotlighting organic prime meats, game and fish prepared with traditional French sophistication. Beautiful lounge with old Hollywood feel and relaxing patio in a Downtown Carlsbad Village atmosphere. Paon's knowledgeable and attentive staff looks forward to creating an exceptional experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Carlsbad ›
PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (52)special occasion (46)neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (41)romantic (39)notable wine list (38)great for lunch (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- As always,,exceeded expectationsEatingoutontheTownDined on 9/2/2014All,aspects of our dining experiences were great. From our arrival, cordially, but casually greeted, to our server - Paon did not disappoint. The food was delicious as always ( the white sea bass special I had was perfect, my wife's short rib melted in your mouth, and the New York steak my sister an brother in law received was 'a cut above'. Save room for desert! Ice cream on a warm night in September topped our meal off perfectly. Thanks for a wonderful time! Tom offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great -Carlsbads BestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great Food and Excellent Service... An enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great food fine wineTienDined on 8/29/2014This place has great wine selection, staff are very friendly. The lobster salad is very good.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodAceOneDined on 8/24/2014It was a Monday night so it was sort of quiet. But the service was great, and the food was excellent as always. Paon goes out of the way to please!Special Features:
- foodieDined on 8/22/2014Best Ever experience I have had, food was delicious beyond description. Service impeccable. Wine list most comprehensive and reasonable priced.Special Features:
- PAON - Very goodChanterelleDined on 8/22/2014The patio area is very charming and the bar has a nice feel. We enjoyed well prepared, tasty food and the cocktails were good. Our waiter was a bit strange and pushed for us to order wine when we hadn't even received our cocktails. That said, he was attentive and knew the menu well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTPickyDined on 8/22/2014I can't find a negative thing to say about this special resturant!! Impeccable service,at least 3 waiters who are very attentive, you don't have to ask for any little thing, they are trained to observe, and do not over serve, perfection!! The food is wonderful, sauces are definitely french technique, perfect portions. The bar is fantastic, if you want a perfect Negroni,( which is hard to find a bartender who knows how to mix one properly), this is the place! My wife and I love this resturant, which is hard to find such a fine place in Carsbad. Highly recommend to all!!!Special Features:
- Great timeMariaDined on 8/17/2014We went to this restaurant for my fiance's birthday dinner. I chose it because it was described as having french influences and that was the theme for his present. The food tasted great, the waiter was polite and he did a good job. We received a complimentary birthday dessert which was out of this world (Mint ice cream and a short bread cookie... sounds not that spectacular but the taste was for sure!). I also wrote on my open table reservation that we wanted a romantic table, or booth that was more private. They reserved a corner booth in the back for us and it was perfect!! Exactly what we were looking for. They have a very long wine list and we really enjoyed our wines we chose. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Scallops!!!!SilviaDined on 8/16/2014Went to celebrate a special occasion (25th wedding anniversary). Was seated at a tall booth which made me a bit claustrophobic. When we requested a different table, they told us they could NOT change us (although there appeared to be several empty tables) Ordered a strawberry daiquiri but the told me they did not have a blender. :( . I was not going to let this ruin our night. The heirloom tomato salad was OK. Husband's steak was OK. My scallops were great!! Going back----??????? maybe?Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!!SsalgonarumDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter was the guy with the shaved head in a suit. Best I've ever had!!!!! With service like that the food just shined ! Next time I'm in town Paon will be my first stop!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, vibrant, beautiful food!DiscerningdinnerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Celebrating my friend's birthday is always fun; commemorating it at Paon made it memorable thanks to the incredible food. We started with a red and green gazpacho with vibrant fresh flavors fresh from the garden, followed by more garden goodness--a lovely tomato salad, layered with creamy mozzarella, and topped with crisp, peppery arugula all drizzled with an aged balsamic vinegar. Then we shared another tasty special, seared sea bass with mushrooms, charred tear-drop tomatoes, and perfectly cooked baby, patty pan yellow squash. The dish came with mashed potatoes, and even they were delicious! Do you roast the potatoes? Although we were pleasantly full we had the mint ice cream. Wow! This herbaceous, creamy dessert was surprising & yummy.Special Features:
- Paon Revisit ...SlvrbkDined on 8/12/2014We revisited Paon to celebrate an anniversary and were, again, very satisfied with the experience. This time we had the special fig appetizer (shared), the menu pork and the special Angus beef main dishes, and finished with the cheese sampler to finish an excellent meal. The Frank Family cabernet was very nice, although pricey, and the noise level was greatly reduced from our earlier visit by having a later reservation. Definitely a recommended location ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SandiDined on 8/12/2014GREAT place to celebrate a special birthday! Wonderful ambiance, delicious food, efficient and delightful service - definitely a memorable night!Special Features:
- Best EateryChicagoDined on 8/10/2014Excellent food, pleasant atmosphere, great service, a memorable occasion, and sure to return!Special Features:
- dinner with friendstapasDined on 8/6/2014We've been to Paon before and enjoy it very much. The food is always top notch and service is always great. Consistency with food quality is of the utmost importance. I find that Paon stays pretty consistent with their quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many great mealsTrishDined on 8/2/2014We come here often and we are never wrong about the food, service and ambiance. We will continue to dine here. The home made mint ice cream was like none I have ever had. It really tastes like fresh mint, not the over sweetened store bought stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ConsistantDrBobDined on 8/2/2014We always enjoy our dining experience at Paon. The food is consistently delicious and well presented at a very good value. Their wine list is extensive. The service is professional and attentive while still friendly and warm. We are always made to feel special.Special Features:
- good but surprised by the reviewslove2goVIPDined on 8/1/2014We dined at Paon a few nights ago. The food, service and place were quite good but did not live up to our expectations based on the reviews here. We may be a bit spoiled coming from San Francisco, New York and Paris but the reviews here on a on "another site" seemed to indicate that the food was on par with 5 star places we'd find there ... not the case except for the prices! Everything we ordered (3 of us had 3 courses) was very tasty but un-inspired ... all quite nice but at these prices and with these reviews we expected a "point of view" and personal expression from the chef through their food that'd make us take note. The wine list + service accomplished this but the food was only good and not "exceptional" as merits a 5 rating.Special Features:
- Great dinnerDenisejDined on 7/29/2014Excellent atmosphere, wonderful food. The Reisling was one of the best I had ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!SilVousPlaitDined on 7/18/2014I booked the reservation through OpenTable and was not disappointed. Our dinner here was simply amazing. The service was impeccable . Incredible ambience sitting out on the front patio with the chandeliers and the fountain in the background . Made for a perfect romantic dinner! The noise level in the Main dining room was way too high for me but I am very sensitive to noise. Being out on the front patio worked out perfectly. I look forward to coming back to this amazing restaurant again soonSpecial Features:
- Great waiterStellDined on 7/11/2014The support staff was a bit aggressive clearing the table to the extent that at one point they had to replace some items that they removed. The experience was a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Carlsbad restaurantMikeVIPDined on 7/7/2014We get to Carlsbad once or twice a year. We always eat at least once at PAON. Service is excellent without being obtrusive. The wine is reasonably priced. This trip we had the rib eye, escargot, and a special lobster/crab salad. All were excellent. The rib eye was cooked to the correct temperature and nicely presented. We definitely recommend this as the best restaurant in Carlsbad.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent Fine DiningRUN2EATVIPDined on 7/1/2014We have now eaten dinner at PAON 4 times in the last month & a half. The food is consistently outstanding, prepared well and one gets a very generous portion. The service has consistently been outstanding. We would highly recommend PAON to anyone who enjoys fine dining.Special Features:
- my dollars elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014appetizer (raviolis)- no flavor and cheese wasn't even warm, short ribs braised for 6-hours were dry, vegetarian girlfriend passed on the vegetables, for $175 really, really poor food - service was good but couldn't make up for the food
- Special Occasion ChoiceBowgieDined on 6/28/2014The quality of food matches the prices. Restaurant is described as French, but is more of French preparation style with a pan-European and world entree choices. Perfect example is the gazpacho, which classically should have bread worked into the soup mix. Paon's version is a lovely red and green with a center piece of lobster bits and cream in the soup mix. Creative, if not not particularly Spanish. For dessert, I would normally consider $10 for bread pudding ridiculous, but their version is far elevated above the ordinary with accompanying sauteed cherries and extra flourishes. If I had to gripe it would be that Paon maintains the sad American restaurant tradition of overpricing wines to go with the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PAONVdayloverVIPDined on 6/25/2014My second visit here and was completely impressed with the high level of attention to service and the food was superb, a must for those who enjoy 5⭐️ dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFrankVIPDined on 6/23/2014Have dined at Paon many times and will continue to do so. Great location in the heart of Carlsbad Village. Food, wine, and service all top notch. One of the best dining experiences you'll find in San Diego County...or anywhere!Special Features:
- Best in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014This is our go to place in Carlsbad. As long as we continue to receive great service and wonderfully delicious meals, this will remain as our go to place. When there's just the 2 of us or want casual fare, we dine in the bar. Both Annie & JK are terrific bartenders and friendly knowledge servers make dinning in the bar feel quaint and special. Our parents, family love to celebrate bdays and other special occasions there. And now with the warm weather, sitting out on the front patio is lovely. What can I say regarding the food? Everything is wonderful! This most recent visit, the standouts are gazpacho soup, Indian spiced prawn salad, rib eye, short ribs and salmon. I'm sure we'll be going back in the next week or two. Love Paon.Special Features:
- Fine DiningweddingweekendDined on 6/13/2014The quality of the food at Paon was outstanding, as well as the service. The seared tuna was our favorite entrée and the soup of the day was flavorful and beautifully presented. The server was very attentive and went out of his way to assist with the wine selections. The outdoor dining area was a good choice..soft lighting and appropriately heated.Special Features:
- Not very exceptionalEQSDinerDined on 6/12/2014As visitors to the Calsbad area, we were looking forward to dinner at Paon, and while not a bad experience, it wasn't very exceptional given the price. While the service and the overall setting were good, the food proved rather bland and run of the mill. Which was a shame as we were so looking for our final dinner in Calsbad to be bit more memorable.Special Features:
- finfoodlvrDined on 6/7/2014The service was outstanding as our waiter described each dish with enthusiasm. The presentation was excellent. We ordered pheasant and duck, both were outstanding. We had cannelloni for dessert that also was a treat and capped off a truly memorable culinary experience. This was one of several outstanding meals at PAONSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ted1VIPDined on 6/7/2014Our first time there, this is a keeper! The gaspacho was wonderful and Pacific salmon was magnifique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent Fine DiningRUN2EATVIPDined on 6/3/2014This is the 2nd time that the 3 of us have dined at PAON in the past couple of weeks. We were not disappointed. PAON consistently provides a fine dining experience. The food is always outstanding, well prepared and delicious. The service as usual was outstanding and the ambiance cannot be beat if one wants to have a relaxing fine dining experience with friends and family members. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who would want, and would enjoy, a consistently great fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MJMSBVIPDined on 5/28/2014The wine shop associated with the restaurant has a quite extensive selection and a fine appetizer menu. The beef short ribs are superb. everything about Paon is first rateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining At Its BestRUN2EATVIPDined on 5/20/2014Our dining experience was very memorable. PAON offers excellent food, prepared to perfection, and great service in a relaxed environment. The wine list is one of the best we have found at a restaurant. We have dined here several times and have never been disappointed. A friend joined us, and she thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The 3 of us plan to dine here again in the not too distant future. Would highly recommend PAON to anyone who wants a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014This restaurant was recommended to us from a family friend. Parking was simple and the option to sit outside was offered. It was a nice setting. Service was good. The food was good too. I just ordered Salmon, and it was tasty. The Apple Walnut Salad - AMAZING!!!!Special Features:
- The following 408 reviews are from the PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Very Nice RestuarantEZHawkVIPDined on 5/16/2014Enjoyed great service and wonderful food. Would recommend. Great outside dining area.Special Features:
- Perfect nightClaverDined on 5/16/2014Wife and I have eaten here before and thought that it would be a great place to have our 33 RD wedding anniversary dinner. Awesome beet salad, main course and wonderful wine selection. I would recommend this venue to anyone who enjoys fine dinning and great service!!Special Features:
- Great food!!JackDined on 5/11/2014Our meal was delicious, the wine great and the service the best!! A terrific place for a mother's day dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/4/2014We came here for dinner while on vacation in Carlsbad on a Sunday evening. As it was Sunday, the restaurant was quiet, which worked out well for us. We had a lot of attention from our server, who actually went to Paon's wine store next door to get us wine options since my husband was ordering by the glass and nothing on the menu jumped out to him. The wines were outstanding, as was the food. My husband especially enjoyed the tuna/salmon tartare appetizer. Highly recommend for a nice meal.Special Features: