New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paonewyork.com/
- Phone: (212) 334-5464
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 1:00pm - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm
Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Jose Anguisaca
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cod Cakes
Crab & Shrimp in Pastry Shell
Breaded Green Beans w/ Tomato Sauce
Black Olive Paste w/ Mussel on Toast
Serra Cheese & Tomato on Toast
Selection of Cold Cuts Platter
Selection of Cheeses Platter
- Entertainment: Pao has Fado Music every Wednesday @ 8pm
Jazz Music on Sunday Brunches @ 2pm
And Brasil Mondays @ 8pm
A word from Pao
PÃO! is not just a Portuguese restaurant, it's a cultural mission according to The New York Times.Continued
PÃO! offers a pleasing overview of Portuguese regional cooking and a splendid all-Portuguese Wine list.
PÃO! offers a pleasing overview of Portuguese regional cooking and a splendid all-Portuguese Wine list.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pao reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (10)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (7)notable wine list (5)special occasion (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- YamiluDined on 11/9/2014Great tasty Portuguese food. Octopus and sausage awesome. Small and modest place but worthySpecial Features:
- Not too impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Although the service was great and very attentive, the food was not too impressive. I wish that I had something better to say because I really enjoyed the wine and the atmosphere, but unfortunately that and the service was the best part of the experience. The food was a bit on the bland side and did not taste much like the quality of the meat and sides were very good.Special Features:
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Salty, simple, and a little greasy. We need a good Portuguese restaurant in NYC!
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Awesomeness!! I need to come here again with my kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Portuguese placeFilipehclealDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant has a very good food quality and nice service. Will come back many times.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantTony8Dined on 9/16/2014Great Portuguese Restaurant! The soup (Caldo Verde) is almost like mom makes :) Delicious! The service is friendly and prompt and a great place to bring a group of people for special occassions or every night for a home cooked meal. Love it.Special Features:
- nice place to eat with friendsmarinfoodieDined on 9/11/2014we liked the food, atmosphere, relatively low noise level, reasonable prices - but bring cash!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very authentic!AnabelDined on 8/29/2014I am 100% Portuguese and I go every summer. This place was great an ON THE MONEY! Most Portuguese places now a days Americanize their menus and this place has not. I LOVED all the food. I would def recommend this place. The people there were very nice. They were very attentive and very knowledgeable in food and wine. This place is a real gem. Just sorry it took me so long to get there. I will certainly be back!Special Features:
- HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE - CASH ONLYtpa0717Dined on 8/4/2014Despite having decent food, Pao does not offer a good dining experience and I would not recommend to anyone. There is a very limited menu selection and even so, they can’t manage inventory correctly. There was no meat available, which forced our group to order seafood and not everyone wanted seafood. The real trouble started when the bill arrived. The owner very rudely told us that we had to pay cash or that he would “call the authorities”, even though they advertise that they accept credit cards. What kind of restaurant doesn’t accept credit cards in Tribeca?!?! Buyers beware…this restaurant does not believe in customer satisfaction or accommodation.
- Horrible Experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DoNotEatAtPaoDined on 8/2/2014Even though it has a great wine list and romantic but when I entered the restaurant I was not told it was a CASH ONLY restaurant until I gave the waiter who seemed to be the owner saw my credit card. Service was bad even though the owner was servicing us. The guy seemed so all over the place. Any place that has a cash only business is a shady!!Special Features:
- The following 108 reviews are from the Pao reviews archive.
- Great Portuguese GemHering1975VIPDined on 7/25/2014While the menu is fairly limited, the fare is authentic and tasty. This is no frills, portoguese food with a heavy leaning on seafood selections. However, don't ignore the rabbit with hazelnuts (my favorite) or the steak in port wine sauce. The house wine is light and tasty and supremely affordable. For desert, a nice grappa and chocolate salami fit the bill.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedPittiDined on 7/13/2014Basically we did not have too much choice as the desired dishes were not avaialble. Maybe we were unlucky and it was not the good day... The food was good but we were expecting better from a Portuguese restaurant. The only good thing was the Alentejo wine.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencefoodloverDined on 7/11/2014The restaurant is small and quaint, great neighborhood place to eat and hangout. The food, and service was very good, plus it was not overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but...MuckloDined on 7/3/2014The food was great, but the service was so bad. The restaurant was almost empty and the owner was not helpfull or friendly at all. We waited too long for the meat , and the side orders came 15 min before the meat.Pitty that a Restaurant like Pao cant show how good Portuguese food and service can be.
- Best Portuguese food in NYCNelsonnycDined on 6/26/2014Being a Portuguese person, that is high praise. Food is well prepared and excellently presented.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC FIND!!DelishVIPDined on 6/20/2014LOVED everything about this Portuguese haven!! Friendly staff, delicious food, perfect ambiance on a summer eveningSpecial Features:
- Great dealMayjiVIPDined on 6/12/2014I got a Groupon to this restaurant so was very excited to try it out with my bf. I was not disappointed. The house white wine was very good and so was the meal. Would definitely come back even without a groupon!Special Features:
- Poor!KmotDined on 6/10/2014I went there and there was a private party going on. Manager stated there was a computer glitch. I was not buying it. He told me to write my name down so we could have free drinks next visit. I declined and it did not matter to him one bit.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood restaurantdogma505VIPDined on 6/9/2014We loved the food and neighborhood feel of Pao. It is very small so you will want to make a reservation in advance. We loved everything that was served...killer linguicia, talapia with creamy truffled mashed potatoes and the rabbit was outstanding. We went on a groupon and they were most accomdating. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICEFoodie2013VIPDined on 6/8/2014I found this place by accident and have been there 3 times in the last month. Good menu with excellent food and the service is attentive! I will be a regular here. It started with a Groupon and now I am hooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The anti Ironbound Portuguese.RollyVIPDined on 6/6/2014If you've ever dined at one of the oh so mediocre Portuguese restaurants you understand the frustration of eating food that is hardly "Luso" centric. Not so so with Pao. This small restaurant has some very authentic dishes that sing like fado. The service can be quirky but worth the hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/2/2014Closed due to Health Inspection and we arrived to find restaurant closed. We were visiting NY and looking for Portugese cuisine so this was a real let down
- Outstanding Dining SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014We arrived at our reservation time. We were celebrating 45 years of marriage. We were met by John who sat us at our table. Within five minutes we felt as we knew the staff like family. The food, drinks, desserts, were great. We chose this restaurant because it reminded us of those small restaurants in Lisboa's Fado district. We were not disappointed. We would recommend this restaurant to those who enjoy Portuguese food and drink. Great job John, Maria, and Maria. Will surely see you in the near feature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cute neighborhood placeJjnycVIPDined on 5/13/2014fab service - they are so personable. really interesting dishes - food was really good, but portugeuse wine list is why i'm giving this 3 stars. I love portuguese wines, but theirs weren't the best. would totally go back though.
- Great Portuguese RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The atum (tuna) salad sandwich was amazing!!!! Cozy corner restaurant off the beaten path for exclusive dining with outdoor seating!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portugese Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014A great place with great food. Only problem is that the menu is very limited.Special Features:
- BuddyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Food just okay. Some good dishes and some not do goof
- Very niceTravelerDined on 4/26/2014House wine is fantastic. Food was good. Not great, but good. Very small. Quiet if you go early, noisy as the night goes on. Overall very nice. Will go back just not in a rush to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portuguese flavors in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014Amazing Portuguese flavors without being in Portugal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LegitJustinDined on 4/17/2014Coming from a Portuguese native and food lover... This place was quaint and had amazing food. Great for an entire family or couple looking for that original portuguese cuisine and hometown feel. Definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful ExperiencechrisstewieDined on 3/8/2014Everything was delectable (I had the special steak, my girlfriend ordered the rabbit) and all of the staff were nothing short of gracious. It's a very small, quiet, intimate sort of space. I went here for my birthday with a couple of friends and was pleasantly surprised that we were actually able to hear one another across the table. Can't wait to go back and try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodVillageEaterDined on 3/8/2014We went here for a sort-of anniversary dinner and it was perfect. Unpretentious and cozy, good neighborhood feel, noise level manageable for two 50 year olds. The service was excellent. We went all-seafood and liked everything we ate, including a cold sardine special appetizer. The wine list is modestly priced, we enjoyed a very drinkable white Douro recommended by our waitress. We shared the egg-white based dessert with a glass of excellent port (go for the expensive!).Special Features:
- FantasticALSSVIPDined on 2/14/2014I went back to this restaurant after quite a long time (8+ years) and again it was really nice: Tasty menu, impecable service and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming place; disappointing foodSharaganoDined on 2/14/2014The food and service were both disappointing the other night. Went there with three other people. The only dish that was really good was the fried cod fish cakes appetizer. It was excellent. The rabbit, which had been highly recommended, was utterly forgettable, even poor. The sauce was thin and flavorless. The side salad was undressed (!). Other dishes we had included a duck appetizer, a warm squid appetizer, a salad, and a tiger shrimp entree. They were all mediocre. Service was slow initially; it got better. The atmosphere is wonderful. I did express my dissatisfaction with the rabbit to the manager. He seemed genuinely disconcerted, so perhaps they'll improve that dish in the future. Management was very nice.
- Lovely Portugese spotsshoffDined on 2/13/2014This was a lovely and delicious authentic portuguese restaurant. The green wine is fantastic! We were in a bit of a hurry to get to a fashion show so unfortunately we didn't get to finish the bottle but wished we could have taken it home it was so good! We came here on a living social deal two apps, two entrees, two desserts. I had the tiger shrimp over bread pudding and he had the steak. We both LOVED our dishes. Portions are small as you would expect from finer dining, but we were satisfied at the end of the three course meal and didn't feel too full. The chocolate mousse was also spectacular. The service was great, the place was empty at 6 but by the time we left it was almost completely full. Would recommend for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would go againNewYorkerDined on 2/12/2014Although I went there with a coupon, the food was good, portion was good, people were friendly. Since the restaurant was crowded with customers with coupons like us, the service was little under the weather. But I would definitely go back and try their other wonderful dishes.Special Features:
- Great authentic healthy food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/11/2014Great authentic healthy food, nice wines and wonderful service -- one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyCitilawyerDined on 2/10/2014Great Portuguese food and excellent service. Used a living social coupon and was able to order anything off the menu. Great wine too and a complimentary glass of port at the end of the evening. Would go back without a coupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All round great experienceAndyUkDined on 2/9/2014My wife and I were given a dining voucher to Pao's by some friends. My first impression was of a cosy but romantic place which I knew I'd enjoy eating at. The food was excellent - nicely presented, full of flavor with good attention to detail. Also, I never expect much from house wine but their house red (which was a part of our meal voucher) was very smooth and rich in flavor which was a nice surprise. This was a truly amazing gift by some thoughtful friends and we will go again without doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute little Portuguese spotdeliusfanVIPDined on 2/7/2014The dining room was tiny, so it didn't matter that we were running late; there were no tables to be had for a while, anyway! The scallops we had were resplendent; soft and buttery with a lightly crisp exterior, and in a typical diced tomato sauce. The grappa-seared linguica was flamed table side, and had a lovely flavor and aroma. We opted for rabbit and the lamb shank; these were fine, but have had better renditions elsewhere. The show stopper was egg white pudding, a super-soft meringue drizzled in caramel. Heavenly. Add in the Portuguese wines and it's a nice trip abroad without spending too much!Special Features: