431 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pantareirestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 591-0900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm (winter months: lunch only served Fri - Sun); Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabrizio Laudati
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have large, flat-screen TVs and often have gathering for the major European Soccer matches.
- Special Events: If you are inquiring about a private event, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: Stockton
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Two Public Parking Garages are located in close proximity to the restaurant:
Vallejo Street Garage
766 Vallejo Street
(between Emery Ln & Stockton St)
North Beach Parking Garage
735 Vallejo St.
(between Emery Ln & Stockton St)
There is also limited street parking available.
A word from Panta Rei
Panta Rei has been a favorite neighborhood destination for over 12 years. Located in the heart of North Beach, we combine contemporary and traditional Roman cuisine with an extensive wine list, full bar and specialty cocktails. Surrounded by windows with outside seating on the corner of Columbus and Stockton, the main dining room has a prime view of this bustling Italian neighborhood. Only a few minutes from the Financial District in downtown San Francisco, it’s the perfect location for a lovely dinner or an aperitivo at sunset during our cocktail hour.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Panta Rei - Best Restaurants in North Beach ›
Panta Rei reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)late-night find (11)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (8)fit for foodies (7)romantic (5)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great service, good food, we'd be back.angelargDined on 11/17/2014The service was excellent. They were very attentive at topping off our drinks and within less than a minute of being asked whether or not we wanted cheese and pepper on our entrees another gentleman appeared with a plate of grated cheese and a pepper mill. Our appetizer, the Frutti Mista, arrived fairly quickly. A mixture of fried shrimp, calamari, and zucchini strips served with a marinara dipping sauce, the zucchini strips were the best part. You could tell they fried them with the oil really hot because it wasn't at all soggy or oily. The dipping sauce was good but I prefer a little spicier for my tastes. My sister enjoyed the potato gnocchi in pesto sauce which I think also included shrimp, while I had the Tre Paste dish. Both dishes were very good. We would definitely go back and sample some other items on the menu. Also, I'd try some of the intriguing sounding cocktails they had written on small chalkboards over the bar, like the "Scooby Snack" (I think it included Midori liqueur, limoncello, and coconut liqueur). I'm not a big drinker, but I definitely would have tried that if I'm noticed the sign earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not so good servicecs40VIPDined on 11/9/2014The food here was okay -- not something I'd write home about, but not awful. I feel like it's a tad overpriced, but that seems to be fairly consistent with the area. The service, however, was poor at best -- if there had been an option to leave 0 stars, I would have. Our waiter was inattentive and antagonistic to not just our table, but to others, as well. Without going into too much detail, any question or deviation was met with a defensive response, which made you, as the diner, feel guilty for even bothering the waitstaff. We definitely will not be returning for another meal, or recommending to any of our friends.
- Table wasn't readyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014We waited 10 minutes after our reservation time, they still didn't have a table.
- Terrible serviceGuyIncognitoDined on 11/8/2014Waited 45 minutes for the table I had reserved in advance. Waited another fifteen for a waiter to show up. When we told him we had a show to get to, he asked if we wanted him to come and that's why we were telling him.... funny. We had no faith our food would show up in time, so we told him we had to leave. No one apologized, in fact the only thing they cared about was making sure we paid for the one drink still on our bar tab.
- Great service at reasonnable priceFlo65Dined on 10/25/2014We went on late Saturday night with my family. The service was perfect(our waitress had an cute italian accent) and the food was good but not fantastic. The brushetta were good, cioppino was just ok but not great. Love their tiramisu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Great Time!yummyDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I have visited this restaurant multiple times when visiting the city. We were very pleased to have Francisco wait on us this weekend during the Little Italy parade, and enjoyed sitting outside to watch it. He did a great job with so much going on and so many people, and the food is always divine!Special Features:
- Tasty in North BeachMizzBDined on 10/8/2014Finding good food in North Beach can be a challenge. Many places serve up a bland menu of faux-Italian to an endless stream of unsuspecting tourists. Finding Panta Rei was a great score for this local, who likes to enjoy the cafe atmosphere of this neighborhood, but usually eats elsewhere. Helpful and fun staff, original and not too overwhelming menu, quality ingredients. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good place.AustinNewbiesVIPDined on 10/5/2014When we want to pick a classic North Beach restaurant, it seems we always had back. You should too. Authentic Italian dishes and service. A piece of Italy in San Francisco. Make sure you have their homemade pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice cornerstoneCliffDined on 9/27/2014This place is nice to sit, drink and have a few bites to people watch in North Beach. The food is pretty good but nothing game changing. I would expect a bit better for North Beach Italian food. The area is nice since its in the corner where you can either sit outside on a nice day or sit inside to people watch. The bar is nice and the drinks are good. Have a few appetizers and drinks for happy hour.Special Features:
- Love It!!GuenevereVIPDined on 9/14/2014North Beach is saturated with all Italian restaurants, but the best is really Panta Rei! Not only is the food great, service fantastic (and hot!)... they also offer 1,000 point seating on OpenTable! Go there on Sundays for the $3 Bellini's... all day!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the osobuccoAlfieVIPDined on 8/30/2014Overall it was pretty good. The staff was very friendly and helpful with suggestions. The food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaymondVIPDined on 8/9/2014OK, So here we go, We have been to Panta Rei a few times, and have always had a very good meal. This time and I hope only this time the Service was very slow, I mean slow. Normally they are attentive, But I think they expanded to the side/rear. We were kinda forgotten about. Not Cool, It ruins the the meal. I think opening up the back the restuarant has lost a little bit of the ambience. Food was still very good.When you are in North Beach. It is all about the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceMicheleDined on 8/7/2014Our waitress was a gem! And we liked the minestrone and the Caesar salad; the squid ink linguine was tasty, but the agnolotti was a bit stiff, not the plump little pillows I was expecting. Too full to order the tiramisu...maybe next time. Nice to see all the tourists from other countries enjoying the Italian neighborhood of SF.Special Features:
- Great dinnerKWellsVIPDined on 8/1/2014Food was great, drinks were great, but our waiter was not very friendly and a little impatient. However, in general my experiences here have been outstanding. I will be returning and can recommend without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 307 reviews are from the Panta Rei reviews archive.
- We Love This Place!!GuenevereVIPDined on 7/27/2014The staff is fantastic! Homemade pasta!!!! $3 Bellini's and Momosa's on Sundays! And the Taramisu is the best in North BEACH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent but needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014My raviloli was flavorful but a few minutes under done ( I could only eat the center and not the edges ) my BF has the osso bucco and that was yummy. the asparagus soup was ok and the burrata was delish. the server was probably new as we sat with our finished plates and empty glasses in front of us for at least 20 minutes and couldnt seem to flag him down to get the check until i flung myself in his path after our 4th attempt to wave him down.
- Reneged ReservationBirdcallsVIPDined on 6/22/2014I made and got confirmation for a 1000 point 4:00 p.m. reservation. When we arrived after seeing Beach Blanket Babylon around the corner we were informed that no seating was available. The place was jammed with World Cup fans. Obviously the restaurant decided at the last minute that it was much more lucrative to host a World Cup bash than to honor prior reservations. The host was polite and apologetic, but the message was "tough ____." How many reservations could they have had on a Sunday afternoon? Not many. Had they chosen to do so they could have made room for us. I have requested that at least we are credited with the 1000 points. (I marked food as 1 above because I could not submit this review unless all squares were marked.)Special Features:
- Great food! Great service!KittyKDined on 6/18/2014I took my boyfriend there for his birthday recently. In the Open Table reservation comment box I mentioned that it would be his birthday and if they could bring out a dessert with a candle on it. I am not sure if I indicated I would be happy to pay for him, which I would have been happy to. I don't like the idea of trying to score freebies. When I looked at the bill they didn't charge us for the tiramisu! The food was wonderful! The wine was great! I don't know if my boyfriend's soda order was refillable but he had probably 2 more refills. They only charged us for 1 soda order! I was expecting to pay around $100...the bill came up to less than $70: 1 appetizer, 2 pasta entrees, 1 glass of wine, 3 soda refills, and a dessert with a candle!Special Features:
- Horrible management and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/14/2014I made reservations and the reservations were accepted . When I got to the restaurant , the World Cup was on and it was packed . They rudely told us that my reservations meant nothing and "can't I see that it's packed here" and they laughed in my face and told me "no way I cannot let you in "and turned me away. If they were so packed they should have had open table accept my reservation. They should be removed from open Table .
- Great pre-show diningwhycookDined on 6/11/2014The waiter was very good throughout the meal. The salads were excellent. We each ordered something different. I had the Cioppino. good--not too spicy. Two of our party had the home made pasta. The sauces were very good. One person had lasagna. She said that the home made noodles made it very special.Special Features:
- Good Food, Lacking in ServiceSilverback60Dined on 6/10/2014We were pleasantly welcomed on our arrival. We were there on a week night w/our children. The setting was nice, quiet & uncrowded. The menu is somewhat limited in its selections. What we ordered was very good, flavorful & nicely plated. The service problem arose after we had completed our appetizers, calamari & bruschetta. After sitting patiently for 30+ minutes after the appetizer! I inquired if it normally took this amount of time to get our main course? Thank goodness I asked! The waiter &/or the cook HAD FORGOTTEN TO FIRE THE ORDER !! To this end, there was way to much unprofessional, grab assing amongst the staff, including the apparent owner, & younger local patrons.Special Features:
- Newer Ital. in N.B.TopHatCharlieDined on 5/24/2014Very good homemade pasta, too loud and busy for my taste, salad was ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodHUlagirlVIPDined on 5/16/2014I have never been disappointed at Panta Rei. I really like all of their squid ink dishes - pasta with seafood, risotto. If you go, you have to have their signature cocktail, the Moka Martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniejoyDined on 5/3/2014Came for an early dinner. This place had a relax vibe, looked like the owner and family were visiting as well. Let me say Cutest baby girl ever! Take a chance and try the black polenta AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Panta REI pre-show DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/20146:00 PM pre-show (Beach Blanket Babylon) dinner. Difficulty finding reservations, while not crowded. Friendly, comfortable, neighborhood restaurant. Food OK to Good with reasonable value and good service. Lots of alternatives in North Beach.
- Newcomer's ratingLongomanDined on 4/18/2014Buffet style with rather tasty food and sufficient parking lot. Seating at table was comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014The food was good, nothing exceptional. The porcini mushroom bruschetta was tasty, however the mussel and clam appetizer was definitely not worth the price, very small portion.
- Best Gnocci in the USAMarcosDined on 4/5/2014Been there for the second time and their gnocchi is the best I had tested in the USA, Highly recommend it if you like gnocchi =)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Bad, Not GreatJamie31VIPDined on 3/23/2014We got the duck pasta, the fettuccine chicken in a garlic wine sauce, lasagna and calzone. Everything was good, just wasn't great though.... It's the only way I can kind of describe our experience. Nothing really WOWed us... We liked it, but probably won't go back for a second experience.Special Features:
- Awesome Italian restaurantZarrkDined on 3/22/2014Had a great night. Food was fantastic, waiter was excellent. Faultless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKTravelers2Dined on 3/8/2014We had lunch here which consisted of a Caesar salad , calzone and wine. There was certainly nothing wrong with the food or service but nothing memorable either. There are so many restaurants in the area that I would probably try somewhere else the next time we are in SF.
- Good spot for dinner.AlejandroDined on 2/21/2014We enjoyed our meal, excellent waiter and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in little italyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Food wAs all great. Service quite good for a party of 10. Would highly recommend. Especially good for Vegetarians. Noise level was good enough all 10 in our party Could hear each otherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nowhere Near the BestDavisDined on 2/14/2014There are loads of great Italian restaurants in San Francisco and tons of them in North Beach. I just found the food to be very mediocre and overpriced, and our server had way too many tables. Try somewhere else!
- Couldn't have been betterkgourmetDined on 2/14/2014From the Carpaccio, to the Ciappino, to the Pasta Oso Buco and finally Tiramisu it was fabulous! Couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roman Cuisine Fit for an EmperorSeawilDined on 2/11/2014This was our first time to Panta Rei. The food, service, and warmth of the staff is exceptional. It is more of an open space configuration, so if you are looking for something intimate, this is not the place. But it will be a go to place when we visit the city with family. Grazi a tutti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly Italian!DrHowFunVIPDined on 2/7/2014Authentic Italian food, served by authentic Italian waitstaff. We were looking for someplace to enjoy dinner prior to Beach Blanket Babylon at Club Fugazi and found this gem right around the corner. The food was better than the atmosphere hinted. Osso Bucco was amazing. Francisco, our waiter from Sicily, made the evening. Enjoyed the meal at reasonable rate. Bellissimo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squid Ink Goodnessak4himDined on 2/4/2014I really enjoyed the squid ink pasta cause of its tastiness. The clams and mussels in it were however small and one of the mussels was bad. However, it was still a very yummy dish. The gnochi, however, was a little soft and sort of just fell apart in the mouth.
- GroupMimi11Dined on 2/1/2014I reserved for 10 of us, they put us in the little dining room in back and no one else was there! Felt like a complete private party. Very warm and friendly greeting all around. The service was excellent, we had several waiters taking very good care of us. The food was also wonderful - everyone in our group was happy from appetizers, to main course to desert. Wine was also good!! I would absolutely go back and recommend it. You always take a chance when you go to a place you are not familiar with and inviting 9 of your friends!! This restaurant did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to grab some goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014Fun place to grab some good italian food. did not have the old Italian feel but more of a hip, modern feel. Classic Italian food with a modern spin. Lots of energy, waiters were fun, and their birthday celebrations get everyone hyped!