431 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pantareirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4155910900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm (winter months: lunch only served Fri - Sun); Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabrizio Laudati
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have large, flat-screen TVs and often have gathering for the major European Soccer matches.
- Cross Street: Stockton
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Two Public Parking Garages are located in close proximity to the restaurant: Vallejo Street Garage 766 Vallejo Street (between Emery Ln & Stockton St) North Beach Parking Garage 735 Vallejo St. (between Emery Ln & Stockton St) There is also limited street parking available.
A word from Panta Rei
Panta Rei has been a favorite neighborhood destination for over 7 years! We are located in the heart of North Beach and offer traditional Roman cuisine and a extensive wine list. A full bar and specialized cocktails are available. Our waitstaff is consistently friendly and knowledgeable and the atmostphere is lively and exciting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Panta Rei reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)fit for foodies (6)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (5)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- RaymondVIPDined on 8/9/2014OK, So here we go, We have been to Panta Rei a few times, and have always had a very good meal. This time and I hope only this time the Service was very slow, I mean slow. Normally they are attentive, But I think they expanded to the side/rear. We were kinda forgotten about. Not Cool, It ruins the the meal. I think opening up the back the restuarant has lost a little bit of the ambience. Food was still very good.When you are in North Beach. It is all about the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceMicheleDined on 8/7/2014Our waitress was a gem! And we liked the minestrone and the Caesar salad; the squid ink linguine was tasty, but the agnolotti was a bit stiff, not the plump little pillows I was expecting. Too full to order the tiramisu...maybe next time. Nice to see all the tourists from other countries enjoying the Italian neighborhood of SF.Special Features:
- Great dinnerKWellsDined on 8/1/2014Food was great, drinks were great, but our waiter was not very friendly and a little impatient. However, in general my experiences here have been outstanding. I will be returning and can recommend without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love This Place!!GuenevereVIPDined on 7/27/2014The staff is fantastic! Homemade pasta!!!! $3 Bellini's and Momosa's on Sundays! And the Taramisu is the best in North BEACH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent but needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014My raviloli was flavorful but a few minutes under done ( I could only eat the center and not the edges ) my BF has the osso bucco and that was yummy. the asparagus soup was ok and the burrata was delish. the server was probably new as we sat with our finished plates and empty glasses in front of us for at least 20 minutes and couldnt seem to flag him down to get the check until i flung myself in his path after our 4th attempt to wave him down.
- Reneged ReservationBirdcallsVIPDined on 6/22/2014I made and got confirmation for a 1000 point 4:00 p.m. reservation. When we arrived after seeing Beach Blanket Babylon around the corner we were informed that no seating was available. The place was jammed with World Cup fans. Obviously the restaurant decided at the last minute that it was much more lucrative to host a World Cup bash than to honor prior reservations. The host was polite and apologetic, but the message was "tough ____." How many reservations could they have had on a Sunday afternoon? Not many. Had they chosen to do so they could have made room for us. I have requested that at least we are credited with the 1000 points. (I marked food as 1 above because I could not submit this review unless all squares were marked.)Special Features:
- Great food! Great service!KittyKDined on 6/18/2014I took my boyfriend there for his birthday recently. In the Open Table reservation comment box I mentioned that it would be his birthday and if they could bring out a dessert with a candle on it. I am not sure if I indicated I would be happy to pay for him, which I would have been happy to. I don't like the idea of trying to score freebies. When I looked at the bill they didn't charge us for the tiramisu! The food was wonderful! The wine was great! I don't know if my boyfriend's soda order was refillable but he had probably 2 more refills. They only charged us for 1 soda order! I was expecting to pay around $100...the bill came up to less than $70: 1 appetizer, 2 pasta entrees, 1 glass of wine, 3 soda refills, and a dessert with a candle!Special Features:
- Horrible management and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/14/2014I made reservations and the reservations were accepted . When I got to the restaurant , the World Cup was on and it was packed . They rudely told us that my reservations meant nothing and "can't I see that it's packed here" and they laughed in my face and told me "no way I cannot let you in "and turned me away. If they were so packed they should have had open table accept my reservation. They should be removed from open Table .
- Great pre-show diningwhycookDined on 6/11/2014The waiter was very good throughout the meal. The salads were excellent. We each ordered something different. I had the Cioppino. good--not too spicy. Two of our party had the home made pasta. The sauces were very good. One person had lasagna. She said that the home made noodles made it very special.Special Features:
- Good Food, Lacking in ServiceSilverback60Dined on 6/10/2014We were pleasantly welcomed on our arrival. We were there on a week night w/our children. The setting was nice, quiet & uncrowded. The menu is somewhat limited in its selections. What we ordered was very good, flavorful & nicely plated. The service problem arose after we had completed our appetizers, calamari & bruschetta. After sitting patiently for 30+ minutes after the appetizer! I inquired if it normally took this amount of time to get our main course? Thank goodness I asked! The waiter &/or the cook HAD FORGOTTEN TO FIRE THE ORDER !! To this end, there was way to much unprofessional, grab assing amongst the staff, including the apparent owner, & younger local patrons.Special Features:
- Newer Ital. in N.B.TopHatCharlieDined on 5/24/2014Very good homemade pasta, too loud and busy for my taste, salad was ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodHUlagirlVIPDined on 5/16/2014I have never been disappointed at Panta Rei. I really like all of their squid ink dishes - pasta with seafood, risotto. If you go, you have to have their signature cocktail, the Moka Martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniejoyDined on 5/3/2014Came for an early dinner. This place had a relax vibe, looked like the owner and family were visiting as well. Let me say Cutest baby girl ever! Take a chance and try the black polenta AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 297 reviews are from the Panta Rei reviews archive.
- Panta REI pre-show DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/20146:00 PM pre-show (Beach Blanket Babylon) dinner. Difficulty finding reservations, while not crowded. Friendly, comfortable, neighborhood restaurant. Food OK to Good with reasonable value and good service. Lots of alternatives in North Beach.
- Newcomer's ratingLongomanDined on 4/18/2014Buffet style with rather tasty food and sufficient parking lot. Seating at table was comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014The food was good, nothing exceptional. The porcini mushroom bruschetta was tasty, however the mussel and clam appetizer was definitely not worth the price, very small portion.
- Best Gnocci in the USAMarcosDined on 4/5/2014Been there for the second time and their gnocchi is the best I had tested in the USA, Highly recommend it if you like gnocchi =)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Bad, Not GreatJamie31Dined on 3/23/2014We got the duck pasta, the fettuccine chicken in a garlic wine sauce, lasagna and calzone. Everything was good, just wasn't great though.... It's the only way I can kind of describe our experience. Nothing really WOWed us... We liked it, but probably won't go back for a second experience.Special Features:
- Awesome Italian restaurantZarrkDined on 3/22/2014Had a great night. Food was fantastic, waiter was excellent. Faultless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKTravelers2Dined on 3/8/2014We had lunch here which consisted of a Caesar salad , calzone and wine. There was certainly nothing wrong with the food or service but nothing memorable either. There are so many restaurants in the area that I would probably try somewhere else the next time we are in SF.
- Good spot for dinner.AlejandroDined on 2/21/2014We enjoyed our meal, excellent waiter and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in little italyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Food wAs all great. Service quite good for a party of 10. Would highly recommend. Especially good for Vegetarians. Noise level was good enough all 10 in our party Could hear each otherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nowhere Near the BestDavisDined on 2/14/2014There are loads of great Italian restaurants in San Francisco and tons of them in North Beach. I just found the food to be very mediocre and overpriced, and our server had way too many tables. Try somewhere else!
- Couldn't have been betterkgourmetDined on 2/14/2014From the Carpaccio, to the Ciappino, to the Pasta Oso Buco and finally Tiramisu it was fabulous! Couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roman Cuisine Fit for an EmperorSeawilDined on 2/11/2014This was our first time to Panta Rei. The food, service, and warmth of the staff is exceptional. It is more of an open space configuration, so if you are looking for something intimate, this is not the place. But it will be a go to place when we visit the city with family. Grazi a tutti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly Italian!DrHowFunVIPDined on 2/7/2014Authentic Italian food, served by authentic Italian waitstaff. We were looking for someplace to enjoy dinner prior to Beach Blanket Babylon at Club Fugazi and found this gem right around the corner. The food was better than the atmosphere hinted. Osso Bucco was amazing. Francisco, our waiter from Sicily, made the evening. Enjoyed the meal at reasonable rate. Bellissimo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squid Ink Goodnessak4himDined on 2/4/2014I really enjoyed the squid ink pasta cause of its tastiness. The clams and mussels in it were however small and one of the mussels was bad. However, it was still a very yummy dish. The gnochi, however, was a little soft and sort of just fell apart in the mouth.
- GroupMimi11Dined on 2/1/2014I reserved for 10 of us, they put us in the little dining room in back and no one else was there! Felt like a complete private party. Very warm and friendly greeting all around. The service was excellent, we had several waiters taking very good care of us. The food was also wonderful - everyone in our group was happy from appetizers, to main course to desert. Wine was also good!! I would absolutely go back and recommend it. You always take a chance when you go to a place you are not familiar with and inviting 9 of your friends!! This restaurant did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to grab some goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014Fun place to grab some good italian food. did not have the old Italian feel but more of a hip, modern feel. Classic Italian food with a modern spin. Lots of energy, waiters were fun, and their birthday celebrations get everyone hyped!
- Authentic ItalianReneeKDined on 1/31/2014Panta Rei serves authentic Italian cuisine in a casual setting. I've been here a few times with different friends and we always find the food delicious, and the large portions more than satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Panta ReiavatarhandsDined on 1/30/2014We had a great meal at Panta Rei! Very attentive service that allowed us to take our time while never making us feel neglected. Not sure I'd want to be cheek by jowl with other diners on a busy night (the tables are very close together and lend no privacy), but on an early Thursday evening, the atmosphere was great and not too noisy. Divine cream of artichoke/asparagus soup, lovely pastas, and reasonable prices. Recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner/DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014Went here with a party of 2 for my lady's birthday. They had our reservation & table ready upon arrival without any delay. Complimentary foccacia bread (yum!) with olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Great gnocchi & ravioli. AMAZING tiramisu (best I've ever had, and I normally don't like tiramisu)! Our waiter was very attentive and catered to all our needs without any problems or hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Panta Rei never lets me downMarcTDined on 1/15/2014Another great dinner at Panta Rei. My wife had the duck with spinach fettucine (her favorite), I had the chicken and fettucine with cream sauce (very tasty) and our guest had fettucine with Bolognese sauce (said he loved it). Pre-dinner cocktails were very tasty, service was excellent and very attentive, and they gave us a tiramisu dessert on the house! Sweet! Can't wait until I get to come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very strange vibe, sort ofloveitalianDined on 12/31/2013Very strange vibe, sort of a night club, sort of a restaurant. Food was below par, small portions of pasta. Drinks were strong though and the birthday song was great!
- Awesome Place!PDiddyDined on 12/28/2013I just love this place, great food and ambiance! I always go there for the Osso Bucco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian ExperienceJayceeVIPDined on 12/26/2013Going to Panta Rei in North Beach is like taking a fast trip to Italy in terms of the authentic food and fantastic, friendly wait staff. It was somewhat chilly in the restaurant and the server brought over a small heater and set it up on a chair right next to our table. There was a dish I had the last time we were there which was not on the menu and they willingly prepared this dish for me. Our daughter loved her dish, as did my husband. The flavors in the sauce he had were wonderful. Then, the server brought us a complimentary tiramasu which was delicious. We will look forward to returning to Panta Rei the next time we are in San Francisco in North Beach.Special Features:
- Delicious and FunhmmmVIPDined on 12/20/2013Our food was excellent and reasonable. Plus, the service made us laugh and have a great lunch. Thank you!Special Features:
- Lunch SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2013The modern decor and friendly wait staff are the first clue a treat us waiting. A diverse and interesting Italian food menu grabs your attention. The hot focaccia with olive oil & balsamic tide the hunger while the salads and main courses are prepared. People watching soon takes over as neighborhood friends liven the place. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Spot!shoelaceDined on 12/7/2013They have a great birthday celebration tradition, so if you want a place that will make your birthday boy or girl feel especially special, this is it. Food is great (I had tre pasta which is a perfect choice for someone who can't make up their mind). Also ordered the burrata which, while not as creamy as I had hoped for, was still very good. Loved the hostess and server, and the bussers were on it! Will definitely be coming back to this place the next time I'm craving good Italian food.Special Features:
- Date NightLifeSciDineDined on 11/23/2013I was looking for a moderately priced venue to take a first date. A friend suggested that I try Panta Rei, and what a great recommendation! Our reservation was for 7:00pm, and the place was not too busy or loud. We showed up early to grab a drink at the bar and was greeted at the door by a friendly Italian speaking hostess. She walked us to the bar and told us that our table would be ready for us as soon as we were ready to be seated. The bartender who served us was engaging and witty, although, no special drinks here, standard juice mixes. With that being said, the bar atmosphere is nice. Our waiter was very informative and made great suggestions, Pappardelle Verdi All'Anatra and Tagliolini Al Pollo. Will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.