Panda Inn - San Diego
506 Horton Plaza
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Panda Inn - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://pandainn.com/
- Phone: 6192337800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Shan Liang Huang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Panda Inn - San Diego
Panda Inn began with a vision to create timeless Mandarin and Szechwan dishes with an innovative style. At Panda Inn, the variety of delicious entrees celebrates remarkable history and the authentic taste of China¡¦s regional flavors. Panda Inn continues to carry on that tradition by practicing the Chinese art of balancing taste and textures that will delight the senses. In addition to the delectable Chinese cuisines, our restaurants offer a fine selection of wines, beers and an exotic blend of signature cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Panda Inn - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
- Decent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/3/2012Food was tasty and the drink I ordered was good. Nothing to write home about though.Special Features:
- The Panda Inn is a fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012The Panda Inn is a fantastic find. At first, I was concerned because it was located at a "mall". But don't let that hold you back. We had the Honey Glazed Walnut Shrimp; Panda Rice; Green Beans; and Crab Wontons. All were excellent and the Honey Glazed Walnut Shrimp is the BEST I have had anywhere in the world. Our waiter, Rene, was first class.Special Features:
- Always a great experience,FranVIPDined on 2/19/2012Always a great experience, never a dissapointment there. My guests raved about the food.Special Features:
- We were seated in the backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012We were seated in the back room, which is an open room with very poor accoustics and tables that are very close together. The restaurant was full, so it was noisy. I wouldn't make a reservation again without specifying a booth in the front part of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food no matter whenStevz94Dined on 2/14/2012Great food no matter when you go. The Lunch Buffet is outstanding. All of the food has vibrant colors and flavors. Very nice!Special Features:
- Panda Inn is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2012Panda Inn is one of our favorite restaurants. We love this place!Special Features:
- Great as usual! Excellent,ArvinDined on 2/11/2012Great as usual! Excellent, tasty Chinese food! Super fast service. Friendly staffSpecial Features:
- except for the double chargeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012except for the double charge card. (card machine error) everything was great.Special Features:
- Top notch service. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2012Top notch service. The food is consistant, always very good.Special Features:
- A great find as good ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/15/2012A great find as good Chinese food scarce in San Diego. Great place while shopping, before a concert, movie or play in Horton Plaza or nearby, or just when in the area. Delicious garlic chicken dish, shrimp with noodles good but with not as good a sauce. I Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Very Helpfull. They changedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2012Very Helpfull. They changed our resevations from 2 to 4 persons even though we were running late due to traffic. The food was very good.Special Features:
- Our experience at Panda InnmissnutzVIPDined on 1/5/2012Our experience at Panda Inn was good but not impressive. Panda is is the upscale sister of Panda Express. It's hard not to compare these restaurants to Pei Wei and PF Changs. The server was very attentive, she worked very hard to accommodate my husbands strict diet, the manager even got involved to make sure his meal was within his guidelines. The food, while tasty was not memorable. The orange chicken had some punch but lacked sauce, so was like dry coated chicken nuggets. The portions were small for the price. Sorry to the Manager who was so very kind and the server who worked twice as hard at our table, but we probably wont' be returning.
- An excellent pl;ace for airakiwiDined on 12/31/2011An excellent pl;ace for a quiet dinner on New Year's Eve.Special Features:
- Great place for a quick lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2011Great place for a quick lunch. Food was delicious, service was prompt and courteous.Special Features:
- It is a beautiful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011It is a beautiful restaurant and its service continues to be great. The food was delicious and they have kept up with the times and have updated their menus. Hot sour soup...delicious!Special Features:
- Always great food everytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2011Always great food everytime I dine at your restaurant. It is one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- My family has been going hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2011My family has been going here for years. A favorite Chinese establishment for my Filipino/Chinese family. Flavors and dishes are consistent with every visit and never fail to leave us fun and content. Don't confuse this place with the tasteless and overly salted Panda Express... definitely a flagship restaurant of the popular chain.Special Features:
- Panda Inn is a predictableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2011Panda Inn is a predictable "good" buy, and in its location at Horton Plaza about the only fine dining choice left for pre-theatre meals WITHIN the center. We enjoy going there before attending the San Diego Repertory Theatre. Service, even on a slow night, though is just leisurely enough that it is very hard to get to the theatre well before the curtain unless we start well before six pm.
- This restaurant never disappoints.CathyDined on 9/17/2011This restaurant never disappoints. This is the best Chinese food in San Diego. I took 2 friends for dinner, their first time. We had the steamed dumplings as an appetizer - incredible, and the sauce they serve it with was delicious. Then we split two dishes, the Orange Chicken, and the Kon Pau San Yan. The Orange Chicken was tasty and crunchy. The Kon Pau was very flavorful. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Best Chinese cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2011The Panda Inn (not to be confused with Panda Express!) is probably my favorite restaurant in San Diego. The food is outstanding. I have eaten plenty of oriental food but these guys beat them all. It is a shame that many people don't even know about it. The flavors are unique and the menu is quite varied. My favorite is the Honey walnut shrimp, but I discovered a dish last night, Phoenix Chicken, which is really delicious too. Everything I have had there is excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2011Excellent service and food. Have been coming here for years and will continue to.Special Features:
- It was a great dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2011It was a great dining experience. We were a party of 10 (including 4 kids) and we were sat in a small private room with a round table-. Food was wondering everying enjoyed themselves.Special Features:
- Panda Inn - Get There Soon!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2011Panda Inn is one of my favorite Chinese restaurants, they have by far the best Chinese food I've ever had in San Diego (Yes, better that PF Changs!) They offer a wide variety of meat, chicken and fish dishes with all the delicious sauces too! They are famous for their honey walnut shrimp, oh and the white chocolate dipped fortune cookies are to die for. If you have never been to the Panda Inn, then treat yourself soon. I like to sit in the back dining area because you get a great view of the harbor!Special Features:
- We have been to Panda InnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2011We have been to Panda Inn many times before and I always love the food. However, this was a special birthday celebration. I had asked not to be seated in the back room and that's where they sat our party of 7. I had also told them ahead of time (2 separate times) that it was a birthday celebration and the staff people never acknowledge it. They brought the bill and fortune cookies as usual. Quite disappointing.Special Features:
- there were 8 of us and everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2011there were 8 of us and everyone enjoyed our time together and the delicious meal. The staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great service and perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2011Great service and perfect place for a group of 10-15 people. Food was excellent and the service is exceptional. I have been eating at Panda Inn for years and have never had a bad experience. Would recommend this to everyone!Special Features:
- Took my family and my husband'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2011Took my family and my husband's family there to celebrate a birthday. The staff handled all our crazy requests with poise. Our food was delivered hot and quickly. They got our selections right too. And the food was amazing. Super good Chinese food. Don't let the name fool you - the quality is a 100 times better than the Panda Express' folks are used to seeing. Definitely worth the consideration if you're in the downtown/Horton Plaza Mall shopping area.Special Features:
- We had excellent service andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2011We had excellent service and the food was delicious! We will be returning, and recommending it to others. Unfortunately, the atmosphere is what sets this restaurant back, however. There is very little privacy. They seated my family of four with two small children at a table with two couples on either side of us (in a half-booth, half-chairs arrangement). My children are very well behaved, but the hostess didn't know that when we were seated. We were probably two feet away from each couple. I don't think we disturbed them, and they certainly didn't disturb us, but if my children had been more active, those couples, who were seated two feet away, would have been disturbed. I wouldn't go to this restaurant for a romantic occasion.
- Located on the top level ofSouthBayTwinsDadDined on 3/28/2011Located on the top level of the Horton Plaza in San Diego. To me, it's a sit down restaurant version of their Panda Express chain. Nothing really outstanding about their food but, it's not bad Chinese food either. So, if you're looking for great Chinese food in the downtown San Diego area, this is probably not the place for you.
- I appreciate the servicesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2011I appreciate the services of the crew. They are wonderful, forgot the name of the person (male) who served us food and my birthday cake.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful dinner , notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2011Had a wonderful dinner , not crowded at all , called ahead for a table and really didn't need to . Will be back again soon.Special Features:
- The food was exceptionallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/4/2011The food was exceptionally delicious. We had a wonderful time.
- Service was conscientuous,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2011Service was conscientuous, intuitive and excellent! What more can I say? We were a group of 13 and I had qualms about seating that many at a single table. But two small square tables placed together and one small round table at each end provided a convenient and intimate setting, And the food was great. The menu of family sized dishes is a great idea and resulted in a lower bill than I had expected. Agreat experience.Special Features:
- Good food good service allOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2011Good food good service all at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- One of the best places toOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/12/2011One of the best places to eat in San Diego-- there is a reason it has been here so long!!!
- Took my Daughter here forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2011Took my Daughter here for her 21st Birthday. The food was great and the service was Outstanding. The Cherry Blossom drinks were nice.Special Features:
- Great for a pre-show group of nineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/11/2011Occasion was pre-show group of family from afar and some friends. Reserved online earlier that day for table for nine, and asked for round table in comment section. Reason ordered online was because phone # not answering! (maybe busy lunch time and all staff busy, but phone message should have said please leave a message, we'll call back. We did call back later, relieved to get an answer, and know that Panda Inn still definitely at Horton Plaza! Waitress was excellent and timely. Group itself ordered just the right dishes and right amount of food, and it was great to share at round table. Bill very reasonable for a large group.Special Features:
- Surprisingly, we had to askOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2011Surprisingly, we had to ask the waitress which dish was the chicken and which was the beef because texturally and flavor did not identify since the sauce was so similar and overpowering. It should have been readily apparent which was which and neither was crispy. In fact all the dishes seemed to have the same base sauce on them even though each was vastly different by description on the menu. The only easily identifiable dish was the aromatic shrimp. It's been years since I've been to Panda Inn and I feel it has gone downhill and rests on its laurels from when it first opened. Our waitress treated us as if we didn't know whether we wanted spicy food or not and I got the impression it was because she had never seen us before.
- Although not big on Chineseehb365VIPDined on 2/1/2011Although not big on Chinese food unless I visit Chinatown, We found everything we ordered very good. The Thai Salad is amazing with just the right blend of spices. Scallops are delightful pared with asparagus for a yummy blend of flavors, Panda Beef is awesome! The Shrimp were great, everything was great!Special Features:
- Now under bad management!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/29/2011I used to be a patron of this restaurant since 1988 because of the great service and food, but my latest visit to Panda Inn San Diego was appallingly horrible. When we arrived, we were told the wait would be 25 minutes. We were seated 50 minutes later by a hostess with a bad attitude. People that were seated after us were served their drinks and soup before us and when we comlplained to the manager, she seemed indifferent and we didn't see her again all night. We didn't so much as recieve a follow up visit by the manager nor any discount offers to make up for the poor service. We won't be choosing Panda Inn San Diego again.