514 Via de la Valle, Suite 100
Solana Beach, CA 92075Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pgrille.com/
- Phone: 8587929090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Daily 5pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Strauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The award-winning chef is the top caterer in the county. All sizes can be accommodated.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager on site 8587929090
A word from Pamplemousse Grille
Pamplemousse Grille offers upscale French Continental Cuisine featuring grilled seafood, meats, game and daily specials. With his first restaurant, Pamplemousse Grille, Strauss makes a personal statement on the pleasurable dining experience -casual yet elegant, inspired yet straightforward, quality food that delights all the senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Pamplemousse Grille - Best Restaurants in Solana Beach ›
Pamplemousse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)fit for foodies (42)notable wine list (38)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (12)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Ladies roomeatingoutDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was good, food was delicious, but.... only ONE ladies' bathroom stall in the ENTIRE restaurant?! Are you kidding me? Was there on a Saturday night, and had to wait (and wait) to use the ladies room. There were 5 people waiting in line at one point! For a restaurant of that size, please EXPAND the bathroom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the MousseBrookeEBDined on 8/22/2014It's our favorite restaurant in SD. It's always a special treat to dine at Pamplemouse. We love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut RegrettdineDined on 8/19/2014I have experienced Pamplemousse on a few occasions. However the halibut was a little over cooked and dry and not much flavor in the sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow.timothyDined on 8/8/2014Its a bit of a local's spot, it feels like everybody seems to know everybody else, and you can see what keeps them all coming back. Pomplemousse is simply incredible. Save room for the warm chocolate cake. It's so good I swore aloud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing gastronomic ExperienceTastybites5Dined on 8/2/2014A perfect way to end the races. The server was very knowledgable and great recommendations of fish and steak dishes. Sorbet to cleanse the palate and desserts amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two nights in a rowRevDaveVIPDined on 7/31/2014Thursday was our second night this week that I had an opportunity to dine at the Grill. The first night we had an infant with us and our server was more than helpful with bringing a cup of hot water to warm the bottle, twice. Not much to say about the food, it's always cooked to perfection and delicious. I had the Alaskan Halibut. It was cooked beautifully. The second night I had the Salmon special and it was one of the best I've had. What I really appreciate is they are very open to accommodating any food restrictions. This helps me a lot as I'm on a low sodium diet as well as allergic to shellfish.Special Features:
- A must every trip to SDMichelinLoverVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our favorite restaurant. We always start with the truffle lobster grilled cheese to share with the table. Decadent but soooooo good. Their sushi appetizers selections are fresh and never disappoint. A guest in my party ordered the 3 different crabs appetizer special and loved it. My only disappointment this trip was I always order the bananas foster dessert and the new pastry chef's version was not good. But others in my party were happy with their berry crumble. Wine selection is great! We will still be visiting next time in SD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestKCsMomVIPDined on 7/14/2014Exceptional food and service. Dinner paced beautifully. Every time we come it is a dining experience. Hats off to the chef and the staff. You cannot go wrong here.Special Features:
- One of the best kitchens in SD!DelMarDinerDined on 7/14/2014With all the great (and expensive) restaurants opening in S.D., people may forget about Pamplemousse. Don't! Jeffrey Strauss runs one of the finest restaurant operations anywhere, and you will have a meal you'll long remember. Yes, it is expensive. But it is worth it. And if you are a wine aficionado, you have a treat in store--his cellar is unparalleled.Special Features:
- very disappointingLlajollachefDined on 7/8/2014We were very disappointed. We brought our own wine and our waiter did not offer to decanter our wine we had to ask someone else. Also we ordered rib eye on the bone and the meat was off. We were so looking forward to celebrating our anniversary at Pamplemousse and have eaten there before. We were also given a table that faced a wall right in front of us. There were plenty of other tables that did not face a wall. We will not go back or recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/7/2014The best dinner in the metro San Diego area. Excellent food and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolynnCWCWVIPDined on 7/4/2014Wonderful, delicious, interesting menu, great service . Always a treat to dine at Pamplemousse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElPasoDined on 7/3/2014Great service and dining experience. A place that treats you like you're specialSpecial Features:
- Great... but a bit priceyHumanGarbageDisposalDined on 6/27/2014Great food and creative menu options. Excellent specialty cocktails. Excellent service. Delicious hand-made desserts that you can actually see being made as you enter the restaurant. Plain atmosphere.Special Features:
- Delicious Eats, Helpful ServicefarmersthenewhipsterDined on 6/24/2014The food was fantastic. We had a kimchee seafood martini that was so fresh I felt like Gollum, biting into a fresh fish. Although the lump crabmeat, lobster and shrimp were cooked they were a perfectly left alone so that their oceanic goodness was obscured by nothing, only enhanced by the pieces of picante and slightly sweet kimchee. The miso glazed sea bass over forbidden rice was so good I couldn't resist asking for a spoon so as not to abandon any of the earthy sauce that was left at the end...despite my wife's imploring. The watermelon salad was delicious, but little overdressed for my taste. The service was excellent. Our server even took the time to write us a list of local restaurants that were less of a splurge.Special Features:
- Add this to your bucket listPhuudluvrDined on 6/11/2014On the pricey side, but well worth the money spent. If you need a special place for a special someone for a special event go to Pamplemousse Grille at least once in your life. Odds are outstanding that you will return for an encore. The service, wine options, and food are tremendous. Parking and location are easy, not like too many touted high end restaurants. Give it a go!Special Features:
- Food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014Honestly, ambient is not that great but the food quality and taste are great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BashAintMeDined on 6/5/2014When I think of special occasions, Valentine's Day, Birthdays, Graduations, I think of the Pamplemousse Grille. It is French Cuisine at its finest. If you want special, this restaurant has it in spades. This food is never mundane or ordinary! The server made some excellent menu suggestions for our party. You could tell that she really knew the menu items and specials. The entire staff took really good care of us. Thank you!Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014This is our favorite restaurant in San Diego. Great food, service, ambiance and wineSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/31/2014Love Jerry your server, and your bartender Mike remembers every detail of or previous orders and preferences, always makes us feel so welcome.Special Features:
- AmazingFrankly1dontDined on 5/25/2014The food was amazing and the service was exceptionally paired with the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyfoodiepickyfoodieDined on 5/25/2014Did not disappoint. Everything was good. This is an expensive restaurant but worth the money. Went to 2 other expensive restaurants in the last 6 weeks, one in La Jolla and the other in Gaslamp Quarters. Neither lived up to the prices they charged. Pamplemousse Grille is worth it. Service was very good as well. My only need improvement point will be the desserts. They should offer more interesting desserts instead of the same old creme brulee or sorbet, etc. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ExperianceKawaiiFoodLoverDined on 5/23/2014We went to Pamplemousse after searching for meal consisting of truffles. I must say the food and service was outstanding. We tried several things off the menu. We started with the complimentary bread, which was heaven in a basket. Seriously could have sat and ate that all night, but we moved on to the Gnocchi topped with truffles. A very small portion for such a big charge. Next we had the White Asparagus Truffle Soup, oh my the best thing of the evening! I had the truffle cheese hamburger and truffle Parmesan french fries. The burger only had the cheese and a very small amount of aoile. I guess the idea was to taste the meat, but I must say I would prefer In N Out. The decor was very strange but the service was great. So all over 4 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow Again!DWPMNVIPDined on 5/21/20142d time and as good as the first. They have a new addition with the Corvin device which allows them to sell high end wines by the glass (I had the Aubert Richie 2009). I had made a special request for a tasting menu and it was awesome. Their hamachi is particularly outstanding. While I live far away I will look for excuses to go back whenever I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super specialsJgraydonDined on 5/19/2014Enjoyed our dinner, decision making between regular menu items and specials was difficult. Service was perfectly attentive but at no point annoying. The game trio was more than ample and cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- special date made extra specialJustTasteItVIPDined on 5/19/2014after 20 years of a really good thang, hubster and i revisited Pamplemousse after a rather lengthy hiatus, fingers crossed that it'd be as memorable as in the past (a high bar indeed). difficulty was, too many delectable options (a welcome dilemma), but we managed lots of treats with only a few orders: a melange starter (5 preparations presented on geometrically complementary plates); for one entree (a starter, technically ) a second medley of four smoked sea offerings, served w/a celeriac galette (lovely); the other main, a grille of mixed game--now that's something not prepared in my home kitchen! the venison chop and smoked duck were delish, but our consensus? The winner was a succulent lemon-thyme marinated quail. BTY, service= A++Special Features:
- GreatQCommVIPDined on 5/16/2014Okay, so I will stop complaining about the décor. Everything else is always top notch here... Kris is a great server....
- Best in all of San DiegohappycamperDined on 5/2/2014On leaving this restaurant last Friday evening my date said that this was the best meal she had ever eaten. Ever. And this was in celebration of her 68th birthday. The menu here has expanded and gotten more imaginative. Our complete dining experience was delightful. The service was attentive but unintrusive. We enjoyed the stuffed zucchini and lobster kimchi appetizers. My crispy half duck was the best duck I have eaten in many years and her white salmon was presented elegantly.Special Features:
- The following 707 reviews are from the Pamplemousse Grille reviews archive.
- VIP Treatment, Great FoodDJandBDined on 5/1/2014My wife, daughter and I celebrated my wives 50th Birthday, from the moment we got there we were treated like VIPs, the service and food was outstanding. My wife and I are a lower to middle income family and we only go to these places on special occasions, is a little costly, but absolutely worth it. we have been to a few of these restaurants over the years and this is the first time I felt our dining experience and the food was well worth the money. Over all I would give Pamplemousse 5 stars and thank them for a wonderful night and memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent meal!!MissTDined on 4/24/2014Pamplemousse is a go to place for celebrating special times. This time it was my birthday and the meal was as perfect as ever.Special Features:
- Always GreatQCommVIPDined on 4/18/2014Needs a remodel, BUT… High quality ingredients…good preparation.. Great all around dining experience.Special Features:
- Pamplemousse RocksScottythebeeVIPDined on 4/12/2014What else can I say? Great food, service and generous portions. Well worth the expense.Special Features:
- I love high end restaurantsLeonediromaVIPDined on 4/12/2014Pamplemousse Grill is my go-to place when people come to visit., I'm from LA and I have to say I really miss high end restaurants. Aren't many of them in North County. The service is great, the people are friendly. It's a down-home environment in an upscale restaurant. Nice decor. The food is as good as you can get around these parts. The lobster was a bit tad undercooked but it was the best I've had in 3 years in San Diego County. The presentation is good, and the wine selection is too. I think the restaurant is a tad overpriced for what it is, but it's such a nice experience I don't really mind. It's such a comfy place to have a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything Great, Except DecorQCommVIPDined on 4/11/2014High quality ingredients…good preparation.. Great all around dining experience, except a remodel is needed.
- The food was wonderful, ourTeresaDined on 4/5/2014The food was wonderful, our waiter an absolute delight and the wine list was spectacular . . . . with a wide range of prices to suit all tastes and budgets. My ONLY complaint about the experience was a rather large, rather loud group seated in the near vicinity that could literally be heard throughout the entire restaurant.Special Features:
- zorbaszorbasDined on 3/26/2014brought friends for the first time -- service late and poor -- table for 4 to tight -- food very good -- just poor service -- not what it was in the past --Special Features:
- Lovely dinner - Cajun friedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014Lovely dinner - Cajun fried oysters were especially delicious. Had parts of truffle tasting menue - also very good. One minor point - service was very attentive but somewhat rushed. I would have liked to have lingered longer between course to be able to enjoy the company and the wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousness awaits you!ErbearDined on 3/21/2014Wow - what a fantastic place for a special occasion! It's on the pricey side but the food and the service is well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service and FoodLovelyLizVIPDined on 3/19/2014We've always come to expect excellent meals at Pamplemousse, the chef uses the highest quality ingredients in such a creative way. This evening was no exception, however in addition to the fine meal our waiter was outstanding! Very personable and knowledgeable. He attended quickly and efficiently yet wasn't overly present, giving us some quality time together. Will always come back to this great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit For FoodiesLv2betheteDined on 3/19/2014It was my birthday: I was looking for delicious food, warm ambience, friendly competent service and a casual atmosphere (meaning upretentious). Pamplemousse gave me the joy I was looking for! Expensive but worth it in every way. Just walking in one is met by the Dessert Chef at her station making the freshest desserts and breads. Portions are generous; flavors and quality exceptional with inventive ways of creating every dish. I may never eat lobster again after my superlative experience with the ginger and butter sauce on the side. I could go on and on - I'll just let you have the experience for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.