514 Via de la Valle, Suite 100
Solana Beach, CA 92075Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pgrille.com/
- Phone: 8587929090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Daily 5pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Strauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The award-winning chef is the top caterer in the county. All sizes can be accommodated.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager on site 8587929090
A word from Pamplemousse Grille
Pamplemousse Grille offers upscale French Continental Cuisine featuring grilled seafood, meats, game and daily specials. With his first restaurant, Pamplemousse Grille, Strauss makes a personal statement on the pleasurable dining experience -casual yet elegant, inspired yet straightforward, quality food that delights all the senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Pamplemousse Grille - Best Restaurants in Solana Beach ›
Pamplemousse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)fit for foodies (64)notable wine list (53)romantic (52)neighborhood gem (36)hot spot (17)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- WineselectionBestfinediningDined on 9/28/2014Pamplemousse has an amazing wine list - many bottles that you could not find elsewhere - and there is a good selection for $100 a bottle and under, and what is on that list is surprisingly well-priced. They keep you in the database and had noted that my take home package from last year (Kobe beef burger with truffle fries) was misplaced (I had forgotten this) and they presented our table with a burger and fries as an appetizer. Fantastic service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014After an absence of 5 years, I find Pamplemousse as fine as ever. Imaginative dishes, fine service. Will be looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- DelishBarbWDined on 9/26/2014The food was absolutely delicious! I have been wanting to go to this restaurant for years and finally made it. The reviews I had heard were spot on.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014PampleMousse never ceases to delight. We went for dinner during restaurant week and although the restaurant was very busy, the food and service were outstanding. The waiter was attentive and had a great sense of humor. We thoroughly enjoyed the roasted duck and the filet of beef/ short rib duo. They did not sacrifice quality in any way. It is the best restaurant in San Diego.Special Features:
- StanDined on 9/26/2014We have a wonderful time whenever we have dinner here.Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2014Overcooked duck (dark meat too), dry braised meat, sloppy presentation, and uninspired menu (everything over a bed of corn and green beans).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our meal during restaurant week. Highlights: perfectly cooked duck, a seafood boudin tender as foam, and a tender, buttery tarte tatin. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiesTJekDined on 9/26/2014terrific menu. great presentation. and not but not least, delicious food.Special Features:
- Back to the drawing boardVeggieladyDined on 9/25/2014Having had extremely good experiences dining at the Pamplemousse Grille in the past I was very disappointed with the vegetable Wellington dish. Soggy, tasteless pastry, bland vegetables and an overabundance of greens... I will stick to meat or fish dishes in the future!Special Features:
- Bad table, Flippant waiternatethegreatVIPDined on 9/25/2014We were seated at the WORST table in the restaurant (adjacent to the front entry) despite making the reservation weeks in advance. Our waiter (who did not look very happy about our toting fine wines from home) inquired as to whether we would like to pour our own wines or should he pour them? I've never heard such an inquiry in a fine dining establishment -- a bit of flippancy and hubris on his part. Aside from the fact for what are we paying $25 per bottle corkage??
- Fav for Special OccasionsbestofthebestDined on 9/25/2014We always find the food incredible and the service even more so. The wait staff anticipates our needs before we even know we have them...and yet they don't hover. This is our favorite special occasion restaurant. When given an opportunity we always recommend the Pamplemousse Grille to anyone looking for a special please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Sep 14RedSoxFanVIPDined on 9/25/2014Seafood Boudin appetizer - succulent, subtle, delicious Duck- always wonderful; hardly ever matched at other places I've dined in the US Filet and shortribs- tender, flavorful, nice combo Brown Butter Francier dessert- what a treat! Moist cake, crunchy dried raspberries and perfect sweet sauces. Favorite restaurant in San Diego, maybe even all California.Special Features:
- Depends on the dishD4OTDined on 9/25/2014Four of us, all "Restaurant Week" courses. Tomato/Fennel soup was very light and natural, but rather plain, like healthy veggie/tomato smoothie.--To be fair, you might like it if you like light and healthy. Heirloom tomato salad was excellent and visually pleasing. My son ordered Kobe burger medium rare, but was served well-done. He ate it anyway, and I tried a bite, and we both enjoyed it nonetheless. My main dish was duck, which was way too dry.--My wife had the same assessment. My wife ordered a beef dish that came with rib & steak.--Both my wife and I agreed that the steak was excellent, but the rib was rather dry and tasted okay, but nothing special. Our waiter was attentive and courteous and we were well cared for.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Pampelmousse during Restaurant Week 2014Special Features:
- Beautiful food in a cozy atmospherecoipticDined on 9/23/2014Came again for Restaurant Week after a few years away and was not disappointed. Excellent tomato basil bisque and pear tarte tatin, but the duck came out a bit dry for my taste. Otherwise, everything was bursting with a perfect balance of flavor. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Great foodBabblesatDined on 9/23/2014Went here for restaurant week, the food was amazing. It is expensive but the quality and ambiance makes it worth it. The wait staff were great and quick with refills and checking in on if we needed anything. Their short rib and truffle cake are t die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly over ratedWackywifeDined on 9/23/2014A party of 4 and most of us really enjoyed our meal. The service was amazing, the food just average. One of us ordered their Kobe beef burger and that was definitely the best entree of the night. I had John Dory, and it was dry, over cooked and bland. My husband had the Lobster Thermidor and it was a beautiful portion and we're not sure it was worth the $20 up charge. Overall I'd probably return to sit at the bar and enjoy the burger.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week 2014vbresdVIPDined on 9/22/2014PG is one of my usual Restaurant Week stops...have been going for years. This year, though, was disappointed with my entree, which was the duck. Who doesn't love crispy duck skin...? But the meat itself was pretty dry and chewy, so it was not of the caliber that I'm used to. The shrimp/crab cocktail that I started with was great, but not hard to do...the more disturbing thing about that one was that after we ordered it, around 6:30 (so early in the evening), they already told another table they were out of it. Second day of restaurant week, early in the evening, how do you already run out of something. Also, was not a fan of the table we had. Overall, I rate it still very good because of what I know. But on this night, not so good.Special Features:
- excellent restaurantJimSDined on 9/21/2014We dined during Restaurant Week, and we suspect they added a few tables and servers for the occasion. (It was a bit more bustling than one would expect for a top restaurant) But the food was superb - and we mean every item from the first taste of bread to the last bite of dessert. We were also pleasantly surprised at the generous size of the Restaurant Week portions. Our server was friendly and pleasant, and he coped very well with the load of customers. This place won our hearts and stomachs, and we will definitely return. A top, top restaurant. (The only reason we slightly downrated "ambience" and "service" was the slightly crowded nature the night we dined. We suspect these would be 5-star any other week.)
- Never disappointslovetoeatVIPDined on 9/21/2014You just can't go wrong at Pamplemousse. A restaurant week gem as well as year round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but could have been betterdinerDined on 9/21/2014The food was good except i ordered a fish entree because i don't eat meat. I put something in my mouth that runed out to be meat. I reviewed the menu with the waiter and saw that there was no mention of the meat. For a true pescatarian or vegetarian, to have meat on your plate is a big no-no. I should have been offered a discount or replacement, but given that it was restaurant week and the staff was busy, i did not trouble them for either. And because it was restaurant week, they jammed smaller tables into the aisles. My head was bumped from behind by waiters three times. My husband and i moved the table ourselves, but that only gave us inches of additional room. If i was struck again, we were going to ask to be relocated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayKikiDined on 9/19/2014Nice service. Skip the lobster ravioli. I'm sure there are wonderful things on the menu but, unfortunately, I didn't get one. This was at lunchtime. The dessert, however, was really delicious - chocolate bombe.Special Features:
- mediocre. not worth it.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014The mixed fish grille was terrible. Below the standards pamplemousse has set for itself. No flavor at all. Very dissastified. The watermelon salad sufficed I suppose...The ingredients and menu need sprucing up. Competition is fierce, this restaurant can not sit idly by.
- Jordan was great and good foodDdinerDined on 9/3/2014Good food- appetizer sampler was average - The Trio game is very good! Pomp Martini was excellent And Jordan our server was very good! Very knowledgable and friendly. The hostess was not friendly at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five StarsmartbooksDined on 8/31/2014Took my wife to enjoy what I had enjoyed before. Was not disappointed. All was superb. However, Kim Chee seafood appetizer could have used a bit more kick, and the marbling in my steak was a bit much at times, resulting in a mouthful of fat. But, overall Pamplemousse is a class restaurant that I would return to for another five star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid as alwaysStrokeanddistanceDined on 8/30/2014another great meal at Pamplemousse with excellent service. The aged bone-in ribeye is a thing of beauty!Special Features:
- real gem55cosmogirlDined on 8/29/2014The food is always wonderful. Each dish is special--so artfully presented.Special Features:
- They Like RegularsQCommVIPDined on 8/29/2014Unlike many of the tourist traps in town, this place treats the locals very well, and we are most appreciative. Kris is a great server. I think they are long overdue for a remodel; nonetheless the food here is superb…
- fresh and lovely presentationPowayfoodieDined on 8/29/2014had their trio of fish - excellent! so fresh and the sauce was perfect to pair it with. ahi, seabass and salmon. Shiitake mushroom salad was very nice. The Meyer lemon tart was a nice light finish,Special Features:
- Pamplemouse Grilleenosteak1VIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the best restaurants ever! Service, food, ambiance excellent!Special Features:
- Ladies roomeatingoutDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was good, food was delicious, but.... only ONE ladies' bathroom stall in the ENTIRE restaurant?! Are you kidding me? Was there on a Saturday night, and had to wait (and wait) to use the ladies room. There were 5 people waiting in line at one point! For a restaurant of that size, please EXPAND the bathroom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the MousseBrookeEBDined on 8/22/2014It's our favorite restaurant in SD. It's always a special treat to dine at Pamplemouse. We love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut RegrettdineDined on 8/19/2014I have experienced Pamplemousse on a few occasions. However the halibut was a little over cooked and dry and not much flavor in the sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow.timothyDined on 8/8/2014Its a bit of a local's spot, it feels like everybody seems to know everybody else, and you can see what keeps them all coming back. Pomplemousse is simply incredible. Save room for the warm chocolate cake. It's so good I swore aloud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing gastronomic ExperienceTastybites5Dined on 8/2/2014A perfect way to end the races. The server was very knowledgable and great recommendations of fish and steak dishes. Sorbet to cleanse the palate and desserts amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two nights in a rowRevDaveVIPDined on 7/31/2014Thursday was our second night this week that I had an opportunity to dine at the Grill. The first night we had an infant with us and our server was more than helpful with bringing a cup of hot water to warm the bottle, twice. Not much to say about the food, it's always cooked to perfection and delicious. I had the Alaskan Halibut. It was cooked beautifully. The second night I had the Salmon special and it was one of the best I've had. What I really appreciate is they are very open to accommodating any food restrictions. This helps me a lot as I'm on a low sodium diet as well as allergic to shellfish.Special Features:
- A must every trip to SDMichelinLoverVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our favorite restaurant. We always start with the truffle lobster grilled cheese to share with the table. Decadent but soooooo good. Their sushi appetizers selections are fresh and never disappoint. A guest in my party ordered the 3 different crabs appetizer special and loved it. My only disappointment this trip was I always order the bananas foster dessert and the new pastry chef's version was not good. But others in my party were happy with their berry crumble. Wine selection is great! We will still be visiting next time in SD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestKCsMomVIPDined on 7/14/2014Exceptional food and service. Dinner paced beautifully. Every time we come it is a dining experience. Hats off to the chef and the staff. You cannot go wrong here.Special Features:
- One of the best kitchens in SD!DelMarDinerDined on 7/14/2014With all the great (and expensive) restaurants opening in S.D., people may forget about Pamplemousse. Don't! Jeffrey Strauss runs one of the finest restaurant operations anywhere, and you will have a meal you'll long remember. Yes, it is expensive. But it is worth it. And if you are a wine aficionado, you have a treat in store--his cellar is unparalleled.Special Features:
- very disappointingLlajollachefDined on 7/8/2014We were very disappointed. We brought our own wine and our waiter did not offer to decanter our wine we had to ask someone else. Also we ordered rib eye on the bone and the meat was off. We were so looking forward to celebrating our anniversary at Pamplemousse and have eaten there before. We were also given a table that faced a wall right in front of us. There were plenty of other tables that did not face a wall. We will not go back or recommend this restaurant.Special Features: