514 Via de la Valle, Suite 100
Solana Beach, CA 92075Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pgrille.com/
- Phone: (858) 792-9090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Daily 5pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Strauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The award-winning chef is the top caterer in the county. All sizes can be accommodated.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager on site 8587929090
A word from Pamplemousse Grille
Pamplemousse Grille offers upscale French Continental Cuisine featuring grilled seafood, meats, game and daily specials. With his first restaurant, Pamplemousse Grille, Strauss makes a personal statement on the pleasurable dining experience -casual yet elegant, inspired yet straightforward, quality food that delights all the senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Pamplemousse Grille - Best Restaurants in Solana Beach ›
Pamplemousse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (79)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (64)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)good for groups (13)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- always specialMACfoodieDined on 11/21/2014We like Pamplemousse for the great food and for entertaining special friends. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Took my wife there for her birthday. We were first timers. Everything was excellent from greeting to service and the food was really out of this world. We had the special's; flattened lobster with crab overlay and the bone in rib-eye with a great bottle of wine. While the entry is really nice, this restaurant loses it on the internal ambiance. You get the feeling that your sitting right on top of the table next to you. Even though it was a Wednesday night and the restaurant less than half full, they seated a party of six right on top of us. When you pay the kind of money you do at Pamplemousse, you expect more. The food delivers, the ambiance misses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!LarryGVIPDined on 11/14/2014One of the very best special occasion restaurants in San Diego. Terriffic food, service and atmosphere. Our first time here, but many visits to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014Consistently one of the best restaurants anywhere. Each course perfectly prepared. Cocktails, each side dish-wow. Don't know what they do to their steaks but the filet was better than any steakhouse. If they were in NYC they would compete with anyone. Service - responsive. Took goodies from back east and they flipped
- RaywooVIPDined on 11/1/2014Food portions were excellent and the fact you are not paying extra for potatoes, etc. is always a plus with me. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Good but NOT at the Prices ChargedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/20144 of us spent about $250 including tip and we had no alcohol drinks. Food was good but not at the price we paid. Very pricy for a C ambiance.
- Simply perfect.saraDined on 10/30/2014My husband's crispy duck? Excellent. My friend's scallops? Perfection. Her husband's salmon? Magnificent. So why do I feel sorry for them? Because I ordered the aged bone in ribeye special; it is not possible for there to be a better. All concurred. The restaurant itself is refreshngly simple and, rare these days, quiet enough that we could carry on a conversation without raised voices. The wait staff was friendly and attentive but not overbearing. But my favorite thing of the evening by far was the grapefruit sorbet. I'm going to call and see if I can order a gallon to go. Pamplemousse is why you go to an expensive restaurant.Special Features:
- Comfortable Dining ExperiencetoatwayVIPDined on 10/29/2014It is unfair I guess that our expectations were really high after reading other reviews and noting the history of the chef but in every sense of the word this is a 'Grille' and not the fancy restaurant we were expecting. But even on their website they note that this is all about getting back to what is comfortable and it was. The food was great but no one at our table remarked that anything was outstanding. The service was relaxed and friendly. The wine list had a comfortable range of prices for some excellent wines. Perfect. And I don't think anything was over-priced. It is just, for that evening, we were looking for something more; but this was not a bad experience in any way.Special Features:
- Great dinnerTMeltDined on 10/29/2014I went here on the recommendation of a friend, who joined me at this dinner. The food was excellent. We both had the steak specials, and they were cooked perfectly -- the waiter asked us to cut into them to make sure we were happy with the steak preparation. We also had the gnocchi and black truffle appetizer from the truffle tasting menu and the abalone appetizer -- both were delicious. The food menu and the wine menu are extensive -- the point of being overwhelming. The waiter, though, was very knowledgeable and helpful with suggestions. I will definitely return when I'm in town.Special Features:
- Excellent!DelMarDinerDined on 10/24/2014This is still one of the finest restaurants in San Diego--food, service, wine list are exceptional. Don't be fooled by the somewhat odd location. It is an elegant place to dine!Special Features:
- the pleasure is worth the costcwareDined on 10/22/2014The pleasure is worth the cost. Service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food, attentive services22kVIPDined on 10/19/2014They had a special truffle menu to celebrate white truffle season. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodjtsdDined on 10/18/2014This was our second trip to Pamplemousse and both meals were excellent. Don't be fooled by the business building look from the outside. great food, self park with 10 second walk, outstanding service and love the pastry chef working her magic at the entry. Going back in 2 weeks,love celebrating birthdays and anniversaries there.Special Features:
- Second disappointing mealfoodie4everDined on 10/11/2014I typically don't leave dining reviews but just want to briefly say that my dinner at Pamplemousse this last weekend was one of the worst meals that I have ever been served. I would normally brush it off to the kitchen possibly having a rare off night, unfortunately though, this is the second time I have been served a meal that was literally inedible there. Where did the chef and/or quality control go?
- Stuff happensJohnAVIPDined on 10/2/2014The extension of Restaurant Week added to a packed house. Our celebrating foursome arrived for our 7:30 reservation expecting reasonably prompt seating and remained standing at reception having been told the table was being cleared. After a while I asked: "Could we order a drink?" After waiting a good hour we were graciously seated. The manager, a delightful chap, carefully reviewed the menu and followed up bring a nice bottle of champagne, which along with the drinks, was compted. Problem aside, our ratings remain TOPS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic mealmj13126Dined on 10/2/2014We went to Pamplemouse for Restaurant Week and both my guest and I had a perfect meal In addition to the restaurant week meal we could have ordered from the regular menu. All of the food we were served was exceptional but we both agreed we would happily return was the trio of sorbets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveDineouttwiceadayDined on 10/1/2014Great food, service, etc. Most expensive restaurant in San Diego areaSpecial Features:
- Worth the tripetLyannaVIPDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I went during restaurant week and although the restaurant was very busy, the food and service were excellent. The waiter was very attentive and courteous. We enjoyed the roasted duck and the filet of beef/ short rib duo their kobe beef burger with truffle tries is a must try too. Will definitely recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WineselectionBestfinediningDined on 9/28/2014Pamplemousse has an amazing wine list - many bottles that you could not find elsewhere - and there is a good selection for $100 a bottle and under, and what is on that list is surprisingly well-priced. They keep you in the database and had noted that my take home package from last year (Kobe beef burger with truffle fries) was misplaced (I had forgotten this) and they presented our table with a burger and fries as an appetizer. Fantastic service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014After an absence of 5 years, I find Pamplemousse as fine as ever. Imaginative dishes, fine service. Will be looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- DelishBarbWDined on 9/26/2014The food was absolutely delicious! I have been wanting to go to this restaurant for years and finally made it. The reviews I had heard were spot on.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014PampleMousse never ceases to delight. We went for dinner during restaurant week and although the restaurant was very busy, the food and service were outstanding. The waiter was attentive and had a great sense of humor. We thoroughly enjoyed the roasted duck and the filet of beef/ short rib duo. They did not sacrifice quality in any way. It is the best restaurant in San Diego.Special Features:
- StanDined on 9/26/2014We have a wonderful time whenever we have dinner here.Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2014Overcooked duck (dark meat too), dry braised meat, sloppy presentation, and uninspired menu (everything over a bed of corn and green beans).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our meal during restaurant week. Highlights: perfectly cooked duck, a seafood boudin tender as foam, and a tender, buttery tarte tatin. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiesTJekDined on 9/26/2014terrific menu. great presentation. and not but not least, delicious food.Special Features:
- Back to the drawing boardVeggieladyDined on 9/25/2014Having had extremely good experiences dining at the Pamplemousse Grille in the past I was very disappointed with the vegetable Wellington dish. Soggy, tasteless pastry, bland vegetables and an overabundance of greens... I will stick to meat or fish dishes in the future!Special Features:
- Bad table, Flippant waiternatethegreatVIPDined on 9/25/2014We were seated at the WORST table in the restaurant (adjacent to the front entry) despite making the reservation weeks in advance. Our waiter (who did not look very happy about our toting fine wines from home) inquired as to whether we would like to pour our own wines or should he pour them? I've never heard such an inquiry in a fine dining establishment -- a bit of flippancy and hubris on his part. Aside from the fact for what are we paying $25 per bottle corkage??
- Fav for Special OccasionsbestofthebestDined on 9/25/2014We always find the food incredible and the service even more so. The wait staff anticipates our needs before we even know we have them...and yet they don't hover. This is our favorite special occasion restaurant. When given an opportunity we always recommend the Pamplemousse Grille to anyone looking for a special please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Sep 14RedSoxFanVIPDined on 9/25/2014Seafood Boudin appetizer - succulent, subtle, delicious Duck- always wonderful; hardly ever matched at other places I've dined in the US Filet and shortribs- tender, flavorful, nice combo Brown Butter Francier dessert- what a treat! Moist cake, crunchy dried raspberries and perfect sweet sauces. Favorite restaurant in San Diego, maybe even all California.Special Features:
- Depends on the dishD4OTDined on 9/25/2014Four of us, all "Restaurant Week" courses. Tomato/Fennel soup was very light and natural, but rather plain, like healthy veggie/tomato smoothie.--To be fair, you might like it if you like light and healthy. Heirloom tomato salad was excellent and visually pleasing. My son ordered Kobe burger medium rare, but was served well-done. He ate it anyway, and I tried a bite, and we both enjoyed it nonetheless. My main dish was duck, which was way too dry.--My wife had the same assessment. My wife ordered a beef dish that came with rib & steak.--Both my wife and I agreed that the steak was excellent, but the rib was rather dry and tasted okay, but nothing special. Our waiter was attentive and courteous and we were well cared for.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Pampelmousse during Restaurant Week 2014Special Features:
- Beautiful food in a cozy atmospherecoipticDined on 9/23/2014Came again for Restaurant Week after a few years away and was not disappointed. Excellent tomato basil bisque and pear tarte tatin, but the duck came out a bit dry for my taste. Otherwise, everything was bursting with a perfect balance of flavor. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Great foodBabblesatDined on 9/23/2014Went here for restaurant week, the food was amazing. It is expensive but the quality and ambiance makes it worth it. The wait staff were great and quick with refills and checking in on if we needed anything. Their short rib and truffle cake are t die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly over ratedWackywifeDined on 9/23/2014A party of 4 and most of us really enjoyed our meal. The service was amazing, the food just average. One of us ordered their Kobe beef burger and that was definitely the best entree of the night. I had John Dory, and it was dry, over cooked and bland. My husband had the Lobster Thermidor and it was a beautiful portion and we're not sure it was worth the $20 up charge. Overall I'd probably return to sit at the bar and enjoy the burger.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week 2014vbresdVIPDined on 9/22/2014PG is one of my usual Restaurant Week stops...have been going for years. This year, though, was disappointed with my entree, which was the duck. Who doesn't love crispy duck skin...? But the meat itself was pretty dry and chewy, so it was not of the caliber that I'm used to. The shrimp/crab cocktail that I started with was great, but not hard to do...the more disturbing thing about that one was that after we ordered it, around 6:30 (so early in the evening), they already told another table they were out of it. Second day of restaurant week, early in the evening, how do you already run out of something. Also, was not a fan of the table we had. Overall, I rate it still very good because of what I know. But on this night, not so good.Special Features:
- excellent restaurantJimSDined on 9/21/2014We dined during Restaurant Week, and we suspect they added a few tables and servers for the occasion. (It was a bit more bustling than one would expect for a top restaurant) But the food was superb - and we mean every item from the first taste of bread to the last bite of dessert. We were also pleasantly surprised at the generous size of the Restaurant Week portions. Our server was friendly and pleasant, and he coped very well with the load of customers. This place won our hearts and stomachs, and we will definitely return. A top, top restaurant. (The only reason we slightly downrated "ambience" and "service" was the slightly crowded nature the night we dined. We suspect these would be 5-star any other week.)
- Never disappointslovetoeatVIPDined on 9/21/2014You just can't go wrong at Pamplemousse. A restaurant week gem as well as year round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but could have been betterdinerDined on 9/21/2014The food was good except i ordered a fish entree because i don't eat meat. I put something in my mouth that runed out to be meat. I reviewed the menu with the waiter and saw that there was no mention of the meat. For a true pescatarian or vegetarian, to have meat on your plate is a big no-no. I should have been offered a discount or replacement, but given that it was restaurant week and the staff was busy, i did not trouble them for either. And because it was restaurant week, they jammed smaller tables into the aisles. My head was bumped from behind by waiters three times. My husband and i moved the table ourselves, but that only gave us inches of additional room. If i was struck again, we were going to ask to be relocated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayKikiDined on 9/19/2014Nice service. Skip the lobster ravioli. I'm sure there are wonderful things on the menu but, unfortunately, I didn't get one. This was at lunchtime. The dessert, however, was really delicious - chocolate bombe.Special Features: