Pampas Palo Alto
529 Alma Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Brazilian SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Pampas Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pampaspaloalto.com/
- Phone: 6503271323x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Evening Lounge Open Daily at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Brazilian Steakhouse, Californian
- Executive Chef: Nikki Baverso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For catering inquiries please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday evenings feature live music from 6:30pm-10pm.
- Special Events: For private event inquiries please contact us directly at email@example.com.
A word from Pampas Palo Alto
The spirit of Brazil meets luxury and extravagance at Pampas in the heart of downtown Palo Alto. Here, the authenticity of the Brazilian churrasco comes to a modern dining emporium where impromptu gatherings, romantic rendezvous’ and large corporate events feel at home. On the plate, smoke meets spice, rusticity finds sophistication, tradition is re-imagined. Simply prepared meats are spit roasted to juicy perfection and sliced tableside without limit. Sample the array alongside one of our mixologist’s freshly muddled seasonal cocktails or a choice vintage selected by our sommelier. Take in the side bar, brimming with seasonal vegetables, fresh salads and artisan cheese; and watch our servers round the room with simply prepared meats, spit roasted to juicy perfection and sliced tableside without limit. At Pampas, we invite you to sit back, indulge and watch. Every meal is a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Pampas Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Pampas Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (40)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (18)notable wine list (17)neighborhood gem (17)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- Waste of moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Stuck in lower level. Staff was inattentive. I never received beef but got pork two times and chicken once.Special Features:
- Great for foodiesCAfoodieDined on 8/26/2014I've had Brazilian style dinners at other places and Pampas ranks amongst the best of them. Very friendly service, excellent wines at $$$ prices, bad if you're on a diet. Lamb chops were the hit of the night.Special Features:
- Great placeabeditorDined on 8/22/2014Well designed restaurant with great ambience, great food that arrives hot. Knocked them on service because they reminded us 5 times (no kidding) that we needed to close out our tab at the bar before sitting down to eat. By the third reminder we began to wonder with bemusement if they thought we were going to run away without paying. For now, I don't take that as a knock against the restaurant, but I guess we'll see if it happens again next time we go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meat, meat, meatOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/19/2014Those familiar with Brazilian steakhouses know what to expect: meat, meat, and meat. The salad/sides bar is quite good with delicacies such as proscuitto and chunks of real parmesan cheese and tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes ... but don't eat too much or you won't be ready for the meat, meat, meat. On this occasion I enjoyed the roast lamb but it was rare even to my taste (and I like my lamb rare) ... but the lamb chops were closer to medium well than medium (let along medium rare), perhaps to make up for it. The sirloin is almost always my favorite, even more than the filet, of the beef offerings. The bacon-wrapped turkey sounds like a great idea but the turkey is to dry it's not worth the effort. On the whole, satisfying.Special Features:
- My experiences have been great!MsWillaDined on 8/15/2014Everything we ate was delicious. Staff unbeatable in the downtown Palo Alto area. Come early if you want a quieter dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cprvwsDined on 8/12/2014The food is very good except for the lamb which was too dry. The only problem we had that there wasn't much variety in the meat that was coming around, basically it was all beef. Once at the very beginning we were offered some turkey and once at the end. We were never offered any pork or chicken. The choices at the salad bar are very good but I got stuck behind some guys and they were busy talking rather than selecting items. If the actual salad part was on both ends and the extra items in the middle it might make the flow better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingmsbonbonDined on 8/9/2014Everything from food to service was great. However we did the buffet and was not aware that we had to ask for certain items if we wanted a certain one more. We thought that the selection would keep circulating around. As there was one specific one that was offered in the buffet but was at a request only and was not told that. Would be nice if we were made aware of this from the start.Special Features:
- Fabulous!BrittanyDined on 8/9/2014After relentlessly trying to get a reservation for my group of 6 at the nearest Brazilian restaurant and having no luck, I decided to try something a little further from home. Pampas had the exact time I was looking for available THAT weekend. We were seated immediately and were surprisingly delighted by the friendly staff. The food was delicious and they made sure to bring back our favorite meat selection so that we could have 2nds..and even 3rds! The overall experience was amazing. A large party arrived towards the end of our meal, which elevated the noise level, but this did not take away from an overall great experience!Special Features:
- Great as always!AskPrizDined on 8/9/2014Tried Fogo de Chao finally earlier this year, wasn't as impressed compared to Pampas. Came back for the first time in two years and the quality is still there. Great place!Special Features:
- HuanglaDined on 8/7/2014Picanha, both Frango and Picante, abcaxi, codeiro are the best - tasty -5 stars out of 5 the others are 4/5Special Features:
- Just as ExpectedAlabamaGRLDined on 8/3/2014I give Pampas 5 stars not because I'm a foodie and it's an amazing display of creative menus or beautiful execution, but because it delivers the experience of a Brazilian steakhouse. Meats prepared well, served at your pleasure, with great salad and side choices on the cold bar. Our waiters were fun and clearly enjoyed watching people eat themselves silly. They key to really enjoying the restaurant is pacing yourself so you enjoy and can try the things you liked again. Of course, there is the a la cart menu, which may meet the criteria of creative dishes with flawless execution, but we did not opt for that experiment. We went all in for the Brazilian steakhouse experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerThmbscrwDined on 8/1/2014We chose Pampas for something different for our anniversary. The food was delicious and plentiful, and the service was fantastic (the meat servers were almost too quick). We had a 5:45 reservation so were able to take advantage of happy hour pricing on drinks, which made the bill very reasonable. Everyone was very friendly. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceReneeSVIPDined on 7/28/2014Our meal at Indo was outstanding from beginning to end. The food came out promptly and well prepared from the kitchen. The service was excellent and attentive and the food was to die for! We started with black pepper mussels and only regretted that we had no bread to sop up the sauce, the ginger salad was refreshing and fresh, and the meal continued in this manner. We will definitely go back and highly recommend the restaurant for interesting, good, Asian cuisine and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LotsOfMEATBarryVIPDined on 7/26/2014Second time for us in a couple of months, I think we will wait at least a year before we come back. Everything is great, but the experience was better in our minds than the actual thing. Not all the food was cooked to my liking this time, some to rare and some to well done. The side table stuff was excellent, as well as, the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHungryBellaDined on 7/25/2014My mom and my brother were in town visiting. My brother is an executive chef of small chain in Southern California. I was really looking forward to bringing them to Pampas for their visit. We were sat at the closest table to the bar which was very loud. All of the meat that came out was extremely undercooked and little selection. There was one skewer came out and even the waiter noticed the meet was undercooked and cold yet he still served it to us. The sausage and chicken was over cooked. The salad bar was anemic. The service was mediocre and the manager never visited our table. For a $250 dinner no one paid any attention to us. We left underwhelmed and hungry.Special Features:
- A fun packageYankeerevDined on 7/22/2014When I arrived with my wife to celebrate our 25th Anniversary the restaurant was mostly empty. We were seated at a table for two tightly between where two large groups would be seated...not very romantic at all, so we asked to move and the manager was very helpful to direct us to a quieter and more personal location... The food was excellent. We both had the all you want to eat package - the best option by far. Tasty food and plenty of it. We were not rushed at all. Arrived at 6 and left at 8:20...so it was a great experience beyond the food. Clearly, if we had not asked for a different table we would have been miserable... I was surprised and disappointed that nothing special was offered or done as it was our 25th...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promises a lot, yet...opadineDined on 7/21/2014Nice place, very attractive architecture. Should be a great place for steaks. And yes, the NY steak was big and juice, yet the ordered medium- turned out to be medium+, if not more. The sidebar looked good and the selection is great, yet the taste wasn't anything special that would make me come back. And finally, the wine list is a remarkably extensive one, yet when I asked bottles other than those they recommended, we found out that they did not have the bottles. So I wonder how many of the wines listed really exist in their cave.Special Features:
- Exceeding ExpectationsBakoFoodTravelersDined on 7/19/2014Our first time experiencing the Brazilian dining experience. The food bar was very good. The service and the meat were even better. From chicken hearts to top sirloin. I heartily recommend Pampas Palo Alto.Special Features:
- OK Brazilian steakhouse at OK pricemaxionDined on 7/18/2014I have certain expectations for Brazilian steakhouse, Pampas isn't exactly what I expected, on both good and bad sides. But first, the expected: The salad bar has plenty of choices. The meat is cooked right and juicy. The good: the price, albeit not cheap, is more friendly than I expected. The bad: the variety of meat is just so so. It does have quite some common cuts of beef and chicken plus a couple of sausages. But only chicken heart is some-what uncommon.The service is friendly but not steakhouse-level. The family next to me told their waiter it was their son's BD, the waiter went straight saying there won't be any complements without a valid ID. How about something smooth like "Happy Birthday! And if you can show an ID, I can..."?Special Features:
- Excellent but not perfectAlexander1Dined on 7/6/2014This is the best restaurant I like it but not perfect as I had a baby and this is the first time I went to the restaurant after my delivery with my husband and my baby and I felt as I am not welcoming as usually from the waiter and this was really hurt. The manager was really good he came and apologized but why all if that. And why there is no changing table inside the restroom. Is this restaurant forbid babies I didn't understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evening outmsglin70Dined on 6/28/2014First time here and it was great...food, service, staff were at it's highest level...definitely a place to come to with an empty stomach because you will definitely get fullSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rodizio is overwhelming but goodgradstudentladyDined on 6/21/2014I got the Rodizio (unlimited meat that servers bring around) and honestly it was a bit overwhelming. I should have just stuck to a la carte for a more portion-controlled meal. The servers came by almost TOO often and we had to keep saying no otherwise our plates would have been PILED with meat. I wish they would give smaller portions so it would be easier to taste everything without wasting entire slabs of meat. That said, the meat was very well executed. The steaks were high quality, generally cooked medium, nice and juicy. The lamb tasted like rosemary and mint and was very moist.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and not just steak!cookie2monsterVIPDined on 6/20/2014There are a number of restaurants that serve "rodizio" style. But none that I have tried has the level of perfection and delicious flavors to each of the meat offerings that Pampas achieves. Every dish is prepared exceptionally well and that includes a huge and diverse salad bar that is in itself is a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentDebbieDined on 6/19/2014We saw the great reviews and thought we'd ignore the few bad ones. Well, unfortunately here comes another bad one. The "side bar" wasn't nothing special and had few straightforward veggies, the meats were not very good. I think of the many choices they offer, maybe 6 came by our table ( after we complained) and then I liked maybe one of them at best. Then comes dessert. We had a good start until we realized they didn't get my friend's order in. :( they also told us they didn't have the chocolate something it other and by the time our desserts came, they were offering it to other tables. No time management. Will we recommend or go back? Not so much. Fun concept. Go to Dim Sum if you want it executed well.
- Simply Outstanding!nrnrDined on 6/18/2014Outstanding service, food and drinks with ambience and vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to beSiliconValley2014Dined on 6/15/2014I've been here 4 times and that validates, it is a great place to dine, relax and catch up with family and friends. You experience a touch of privacy because tables are not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but spotty ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The food here is really very good as is the service. However, the noise factor made this visit really poor. We were seated by screaming patrons and loud music which made it difficult to enjoy the food. There were several open tables (pun intended) in the lower dining area or upstairs yet the table we were seated by was the closest to the bar & band. Poor judgement at best.Special Features:
- Great food but very noisyoca1963Dined on 6/6/2014We were a small party of 5. We got the table closest to the bar. The food was great but unfortunately there was a horrible jazz band playing some of the worst noise I have had the displeasure of having to listen to for a long time. It was almost impossible to have a conversation. I will definitely check next time if there is a live band and what kind of music. Also: get a table as far from the bar as possible!Special Features:
- jillDined on 6/6/2014funny, we have lived in the area for years but always thought the restaurant was just a bar. someone mentioned it and we gave it a try. next time we will plan better as we could only get an early reservation and we had a late lunch. needless to say I wasn't able to sample all the meats but the salad and vegetable bar was excellent and the meat that I did eat was outstanding. The beef tenderloin was a little overdone though and I didn't have the courage to try the chicken hearts but we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too cold!!SFeatsDined on 6/4/2014The food was absolutely amazing as usual. Everything from the salad bar, every morsel of meat was perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned and absolutely fresh. Our only complaint was that it was very chilly when we came in and when i asked to be moved, nothing happened. A cold draft seem to be directed right at our table. It took a good 25 minutes before we began to feel any difference at all. It never did really warm up sufficiently. Given the overall excellence of the restaurant. I was really surprised at this lack of attention to our comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were not served all cuts!InconsistentDined on 5/31/2014We kept getting the same cheap cuts while other tables were getting all of the cuts. I went to the other side of the service area and those tables were treated well.
- Dinner with flavor!BarryVIPDined on 5/22/2014Tasty food that keeps on coming to your table. My only problem with the dinner was it was my birthday and they knew it, but did nothing. Otherwise the meal was near perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 5/15/2014I was disappointed to learn that lunch is not served rodizio style, and felt the the "mixed grill" I was served was overpriced The sidebar was nothing special and the service was disjointed. My wife waited more than 30 minutes for her salad, which was served less than five minutes before her ala carte lunch entree was put on the table. Pampas Palo Alto is laid out in an unusual manner, as all tables at lunch line up against the far wall with no service in the middle part of the restaurant. It feels a bit like lunch in a bowling alley.Special Features:
- Vegans need not applyLouDVIPDined on 5/12/2014Great meal every time. The have a excellent salad bar that has both hot and cold food. The rotation amonsgt the food is usally good but this time noticed that they came out in clusters. You could go 10 minutes without a choice of meat, then bam 4 guys in 2 miuntes. Maybe it is just not too many people around that makes them cluster up. Food was still awesome all around.Special Features:
- wonderful experiencetheplace2goDined on 5/11/2014It was my first time so a Brazilian steak house restaurant. I took my mom for Mother's day and I think I made the right choice. From the beginning to the end the service was excellent the food was good and delicious. The salad bar had a lot of choices. I just loved the cheese puffs and the top sirloin. I am already planning on going back with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother's dayAlwzmoiDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I had been there at least twice before and loved the food. So, we took my mother there for mother's day 2014. It was a very pleasant experience for her & her husband. They loved the food and the lay out of the restaurant gave them an open feeling, not too cramped. My son came this time and he surprising said that he loved the vegatables more than the food. He ordered off the kids menu and got the mini burgers. Everyone ate alot and had a food coma afterwards.Special Features:
- Great spot for meat loverscharleyDined on 5/7/2014Pampas is a great all around restaurant, we always have a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but over-pricedNancyDVIPDined on 5/4/2014Good food but over-priced. You CAN order from the menu, but it's not that much less than the Rodizio if you add a salad or side. Each meat choice comes in rapid succession at the beginning. Don't pass it up if you think you'll want it because it probably won't come by again unless you ask for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 773 reviews are from the Pampas Palo Alto reviews archive.
- Great ambiance, but loud musicBirthdayDinnerDined on 5/3/2014I went in a group of four on Saturday night at 6:30. The ambiance is great and the servers were speedy and very nice. The music got pretty loud at some points and it was difficult to have a conversation. Our table was up above in the balcony-type area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!faye63Dined on 5/3/2014I came here with my son, (it was his 20th birthday) and boyfriend and every single thing was fantastic! From the Portuguese cheese bread they bring as soon as you sit down, all the meats cooked perfectly, the side bar was fresh and beautifully displayed, the cocktails were great, all servers were friendly and knowledgeable -- we loved every single thing!Special Features: