Pampas Palo Alto
529 Alma Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Brazilian SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Pampas Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pampaspaloalto.com/
- Phone: 6503271323x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Evening Lounge Open Daily at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Brazilian Steakhouse, Californian
- Executive Chef: Nikki Baverso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For catering inquiries please contact us directly at email@example.com.
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday evenings feature live music from 6:30pm-10pm.
- Special Events: For private event inquiries please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Pampas Palo Alto
The spirit of Brazil meets luxury and extravagance at Pampas in the heart of downtown Palo Alto. Here, the authenticity of the Brazilian churrasco comes to a modern dining emporium where impromptu gatherings, romantic rendezvous’ and large corporate events feel at home. On the plate, smoke meets spice, rusticity finds sophistication, tradition is re-imagined. Simply prepared meats are spit roasted to juicy perfection and sliced tableside without limit. Sample the array alongside one of our mixologist’s freshly muddled seasonal cocktails or a choice vintage selected by our sommelier. Take in the side bar, brimming with seasonal vegetables, fresh salads and artisan cheese; and watch our servers round the room with simply prepared meats, spit roasted to juicy perfection and sliced tableside without limit. At Pampas, we invite you to sit back, indulge and watch. Every meal is a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Pampas Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Pampas Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (38)romantic (23)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- wonderful find!PATRICIADined on 10/8/2014Had a great lunch with superb service. The skirt steak was cooked to perfection and the ribs tender, moist and flavorful. will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfab1Dined on 10/4/2014Really enjoyable night. Good food and service. Like the style of it. Expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat Lovers DenFalconiDined on 10/3/2014Good place for Carnivors looking for endless meet. Nice big table on second floor suit for large party. Meat quality was not great, but salad bar and service were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!tasteybudsDined on 9/25/2014I went to Pampas for the first time, for my mother's birthday, and I can say that I will be returning for future celebrations. The atmosphere was elegant and the service was punctual but not pushy. The manager, Gene, really made us feel comfortable and his professionalism was impressive. The food was so good, from the tri-tip down to the roasted pineapple. Probably my new favorite spot to eat.Special Features:
- Second timeBmv425Dined on 9/24/2014Second visit to Pampas. Loved the side bar last time but not fans of the meat. Salty and everything started to taste the same. Service was lacking on the first occasion, server was very cordial this time. We chose lobster and prawns this time with the side bar. Lobster was good, prawns were not prawns, they were small shrimp with tails that had a quick sauté. The side bar was what we came for and that was as good as the first time. Coconut flan is good for the minute portion and tres leche is yummy while leaning toward the wayyy to sweet side. Fruit looks beautiful on it but a bit too much fruity sauce. Pass on the meat and seafood next time and we will just get sidebar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than AverageLCSanFranciscoVIPDined on 9/22/2014Went for my bf's birthday and the restaurant was about 60% full. We have been to many Brazilian churassacarias before and i have been here several times before. We both opted for the all you can eat rodizio with all the different types of bbq meats. Usually when you sit down and turn your card over, there is a dance of servers flocking over to your table to cut you a slice of whatever they have. We started with the salad bar which was delicious, but waited for nearly 15 minutes before a meat server came. We waited another 10 minutes before another one came. Our server came back and asked if we wanted anything specific from the menu which was nice. The food is good (esp the lamb loin), but the timing of the food seemed off.
- Good food, priced for Palo AltoStephMDSCDined on 9/20/2014The food here was very good, but not exceptional. The prices are not unusual for Palo Alto, but I think you could find similar food and ambiance for less in a neighboring town. Service was exceptional, every person we came in contact with was friendly, polite, efficient, and happy to accommodate us. We chose entrees, since we are not big eaters, rather than the table service of freshly prepared rotisserie meats and the sides bar, which costs more.
- Not the old PampasTooshortnickLeeDined on 9/8/2014Service was exceptional. We had a vegetarian in our group and Pampas had a veg entrie over and above their salad bar which I found quite tasty. Food was not up to usual high quality. Some meat was dry with little taste. Several of us had digestion problems. Food service seemed to slow toward end of evening. We will return, but we will delay to give repairs time to catchup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, go with friends!otterlyanonymousDined on 9/6/2014The Rodizio is THE reason to go here. All-you-can-eat of a wide variety of meats and their salad bar is awesome! I recommended going as a group and checking it out! Make sure to reserve a table as it can get pretty packed. My only complaint would be that the live band was nice, but at times it was so loud it made it hard to converse at the table. Next time I will ask to be seated on their lower level.Special Features:
- great varietyScotDined on 9/6/2014Their side dish / appetizer / salad bar was pretty impressive - especially since we were focused on the meat. The variety and flavors of eat were great. The beef offerings included rare slices (our preference) and also had more well done pieces for those who preferred. The sausage was especially flavorful and the grilled pineapple was quite tasty.Special Features:
- very nice!pigiDined on 9/4/2014Very good meats, great variety. The roasted pinapple is really goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great high- protein bingePannoniusVIPDined on 9/3/2014Loved the variety of cuts and the rich salad bar. Great service - you have to come hungry to do justice.Special Features:
- Very good - a lot of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014Key at any Brazilian steakhouse is to not load up on the salad bar items instead use your salad bar choices to accompany the meats as they come out (i.e. The cheeses go well with the cheese filet the sauteed mushrooms with the sirlion etc). Eat slowly so you can enjoy the meats as they come out, and as for meats you have not yet tried that are on the menu, the waiters don't remember what meat the served you last time so you have to ask, or they will likely serve you the same meat a few times, not a bad thing if you like it, but there is soooo much to taste and it is all good.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant poor patronsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food, overall, is quite good. There are a wide variety of meats brought to your table and although they missed our table a few times, in the end we got our fill. My fiance and I were sat in the lower section of the restaurant, where someone allowed their kid to run wildly around the dining area screaming. People don't dress up and don't act with any propriety and the manager does nothing to enforce this behavior. Disappointing, because generally the place is nice. They don't do much for birthdays, which is disappointing, but they did at least find a candle and put it in our dessert. It did the trick.Special Features:
- Waste of moneyPotatosaladDined on 8/29/2014Stuck in lower level. Staff was inattentive. I never received beef but got pork two times and chicken once.Special Features:
- Great for foodiesCAfoodieDined on 8/26/2014I've had Brazilian style dinners at other places and Pampas ranks amongst the best of them. Very friendly service, excellent wines at $$$ prices, bad if you're on a diet. Lamb chops were the hit of the night.Special Features:
- Great placeabeditorDined on 8/22/2014Well designed restaurant with great ambience, great food that arrives hot. Knocked them on service because they reminded us 5 times (no kidding) that we needed to close out our tab at the bar before sitting down to eat. By the third reminder we began to wonder with bemusement if they thought we were going to run away without paying. For now, I don't take that as a knock against the restaurant, but I guess we'll see if it happens again next time we go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meat, meat, meatOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/19/2014Those familiar with Brazilian steakhouses know what to expect: meat, meat, and meat. The salad/sides bar is quite good with delicacies such as proscuitto and chunks of real parmesan cheese and tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes ... but don't eat too much or you won't be ready for the meat, meat, meat. On this occasion I enjoyed the roast lamb but it was rare even to my taste (and I like my lamb rare) ... but the lamb chops were closer to medium well than medium (let along medium rare), perhaps to make up for it. The sirloin is almost always my favorite, even more than the filet, of the beef offerings. The bacon-wrapped turkey sounds like a great idea but the turkey is to dry it's not worth the effort. On the whole, satisfying.Special Features:
- My experiences have been great!MsWillaDined on 8/15/2014Everything we ate was delicious. Staff unbeatable in the downtown Palo Alto area. Come early if you want a quieter dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cprvwsDined on 8/12/2014The food is very good except for the lamb which was too dry. The only problem we had that there wasn't much variety in the meat that was coming around, basically it was all beef. Once at the very beginning we were offered some turkey and once at the end. We were never offered any pork or chicken. The choices at the salad bar are very good but I got stuck behind some guys and they were busy talking rather than selecting items. If the actual salad part was on both ends and the extra items in the middle it might make the flow better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingmsbonbonDined on 8/9/2014Everything from food to service was great. However we did the buffet and was not aware that we had to ask for certain items if we wanted a certain one more. We thought that the selection would keep circulating around. As there was one specific one that was offered in the buffet but was at a request only and was not told that. Would be nice if we were made aware of this from the start.Special Features:
- Fabulous!BrittanyDined on 8/9/2014After relentlessly trying to get a reservation for my group of 6 at the nearest Brazilian restaurant and having no luck, I decided to try something a little further from home. Pampas had the exact time I was looking for available THAT weekend. We were seated immediately and were surprisingly delighted by the friendly staff. The food was delicious and they made sure to bring back our favorite meat selection so that we could have 2nds..and even 3rds! The overall experience was amazing. A large party arrived towards the end of our meal, which elevated the noise level, but this did not take away from an overall great experience!Special Features:
- Great as always!AskPrizDined on 8/9/2014Tried Fogo de Chao finally earlier this year, wasn't as impressed compared to Pampas. Came back for the first time in two years and the quality is still there. Great place!Special Features:
- HuanglaDined on 8/7/2014Picanha, both Frango and Picante, abcaxi, codeiro are the best - tasty -5 stars out of 5 the others are 4/5Special Features:
- Just as ExpectedAlabamaGRLDined on 8/3/2014I give Pampas 5 stars not because I'm a foodie and it's an amazing display of creative menus or beautiful execution, but because it delivers the experience of a Brazilian steakhouse. Meats prepared well, served at your pleasure, with great salad and side choices on the cold bar. Our waiters were fun and clearly enjoyed watching people eat themselves silly. They key to really enjoying the restaurant is pacing yourself so you enjoy and can try the things you liked again. Of course, there is the a la cart menu, which may meet the criteria of creative dishes with flawless execution, but we did not opt for that experiment. We went all in for the Brazilian steakhouse experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerThmbscrwDined on 8/1/2014We chose Pampas for something different for our anniversary. The food was delicious and plentiful, and the service was fantastic (the meat servers were almost too quick). We had a 5:45 reservation so were able to take advantage of happy hour pricing on drinks, which made the bill very reasonable. Everyone was very friendly. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceReneeSVIPDined on 7/28/2014Our meal at Indo was outstanding from beginning to end. The food came out promptly and well prepared from the kitchen. The service was excellent and attentive and the food was to die for! We started with black pepper mussels and only regretted that we had no bread to sop up the sauce, the ginger salad was refreshing and fresh, and the meal continued in this manner. We will definitely go back and highly recommend the restaurant for interesting, good, Asian cuisine and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LotsOfMEATBarryVIPDined on 7/26/2014Second time for us in a couple of months, I think we will wait at least a year before we come back. Everything is great, but the experience was better in our minds than the actual thing. Not all the food was cooked to my liking this time, some to rare and some to well done. The side table stuff was excellent, as well as, the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHungryBellaDined on 7/25/2014My mom and my brother were in town visiting. My brother is an executive chef of small chain in Southern California. I was really looking forward to bringing them to Pampas for their visit. We were sat at the closest table to the bar which was very loud. All of the meat that came out was extremely undercooked and little selection. There was one skewer came out and even the waiter noticed the meet was undercooked and cold yet he still served it to us. The sausage and chicken was over cooked. The salad bar was anemic. The service was mediocre and the manager never visited our table. For a $250 dinner no one paid any attention to us. We left underwhelmed and hungry.Special Features:
- A fun packageYankeerevDined on 7/22/2014When I arrived with my wife to celebrate our 25th Anniversary the restaurant was mostly empty. We were seated at a table for two tightly between where two large groups would be seated...not very romantic at all, so we asked to move and the manager was very helpful to direct us to a quieter and more personal location... The food was excellent. We both had the all you want to eat package - the best option by far. Tasty food and plenty of it. We were not rushed at all. Arrived at 6 and left at 8:20...so it was a great experience beyond the food. Clearly, if we had not asked for a different table we would have been miserable... I was surprised and disappointed that nothing special was offered or done as it was our 25th...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promises a lot, yet...opadineDined on 7/21/2014Nice place, very attractive architecture. Should be a great place for steaks. And yes, the NY steak was big and juice, yet the ordered medium- turned out to be medium+, if not more. The sidebar looked good and the selection is great, yet the taste wasn't anything special that would make me come back. And finally, the wine list is a remarkably extensive one, yet when I asked bottles other than those they recommended, we found out that they did not have the bottles. So I wonder how many of the wines listed really exist in their cave.Special Features:
- Exceeding ExpectationsBakoFoodTravelersDined on 7/19/2014Our first time experiencing the Brazilian dining experience. The food bar was very good. The service and the meat were even better. From chicken hearts to top sirloin. I heartily recommend Pampas Palo Alto.Special Features:
- OK Brazilian steakhouse at OK pricemaxionDined on 7/18/2014I have certain expectations for Brazilian steakhouse, Pampas isn't exactly what I expected, on both good and bad sides. But first, the expected: The salad bar has plenty of choices. The meat is cooked right and juicy. The good: the price, albeit not cheap, is more friendly than I expected. The bad: the variety of meat is just so so. It does have quite some common cuts of beef and chicken plus a couple of sausages. But only chicken heart is some-what uncommon.The service is friendly but not steakhouse-level. The family next to me told their waiter it was their son's BD, the waiter went straight saying there won't be any complements without a valid ID. How about something smooth like "Happy Birthday! And if you can show an ID, I can..."?Special Features:
- Excellent but not perfectAlexander1Dined on 7/6/2014This is the best restaurant I like it but not perfect as I had a baby and this is the first time I went to the restaurant after my delivery with my husband and my baby and I felt as I am not welcoming as usually from the waiter and this was really hurt. The manager was really good he came and apologized but why all if that. And why there is no changing table inside the restroom. Is this restaurant forbid babies I didn't understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evening outmsglin70Dined on 6/28/2014First time here and it was great...food, service, staff were at it's highest level...definitely a place to come to with an empty stomach because you will definitely get fullSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rodizio is overwhelming but goodgradstudentladyDined on 6/21/2014I got the Rodizio (unlimited meat that servers bring around) and honestly it was a bit overwhelming. I should have just stuck to a la carte for a more portion-controlled meal. The servers came by almost TOO often and we had to keep saying no otherwise our plates would have been PILED with meat. I wish they would give smaller portions so it would be easier to taste everything without wasting entire slabs of meat. That said, the meat was very well executed. The steaks were high quality, generally cooked medium, nice and juicy. The lamb tasted like rosemary and mint and was very moist.Special Features:
- The following 789 reviews are from the Pampas Palo Alto reviews archive.
- Fabulous food and not just steak!cookie2monsterVIPDined on 6/20/2014There are a number of restaurants that serve "rodizio" style. But none that I have tried has the level of perfection and delicious flavors to each of the meat offerings that Pampas achieves. Every dish is prepared exceptionally well and that includes a huge and diverse salad bar that is in itself is a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentDebbieDined on 6/19/2014We saw the great reviews and thought we'd ignore the few bad ones. Well, unfortunately here comes another bad one. The "side bar" wasn't nothing special and had few straightforward veggies, the meats were not very good. I think of the many choices they offer, maybe 6 came by our table ( after we complained) and then I liked maybe one of them at best. Then comes dessert. We had a good start until we realized they didn't get my friend's order in. :( they also told us they didn't have the chocolate something it other and by the time our desserts came, they were offering it to other tables. No time management. Will we recommend or go back? Not so much. Fun concept. Go to Dim Sum if you want it executed well.
- Simply Outstanding!nrnrDined on 6/18/2014Outstanding service, food and drinks with ambience and vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to beSiliconValley2014Dined on 6/15/2014I've been here 4 times and that validates, it is a great place to dine, relax and catch up with family and friends. You experience a touch of privacy because tables are not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.