Palio - Ann Arbor
347 S. Main
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Palio - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paliorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (734) 930-6156
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private party seating available for up to 40 guests, featuring the rustic Palio charm & our special Festa di Vitto menu.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Jacobs 8884563463
A word from Palio - Ann Arbor
Revel in the simple good taste of country Italian cooking in a convivial setting. Enjoy traditional Italian wines in a comfortable atmosphere. The wonderful aromas of this true Italian cooking are something to be savored. click here for information on special events and promotions http://www.paliorestaurant.com The Palio Rooftop is walk-in only!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Palio - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Palio - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (47)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (36)great for outdoor dining (32)fit for foodies (32)romantic (22)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (16)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Another great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014We took friends that were in from out of state for dinner. We knew that Palio would impress and they certainly did. The staff is very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014My parents were visiting A2, and we were celebrating my fathers birthday by taking him to Palio's. Had a terrific meal with the family, and was most impressed by the service. My father ordered a pasta dish thinking it had a red meat sauce, but it came with a white cream sauce. When he inquired about it, the server bent went out of her way to fix it, even though it was our mistake. It wasn't even five minutes later that he had a new dish of what he wanted delivery by the manager with an unnecessary apology. The food was terrific.Special Features:
- A great birthday celebration!cronyDined on 11/3/2014We just had a great time-good service, wonderful food, good company supplied by us. It would have been free for birthday person if it had been on the actual birthday date. It was on a Monday night so not too crowded. Only negative was that the cocktails seemed rather small. I would go back again and again.Special Features:
- Good Food/Poor MannersUMStudentDadDined on 11/1/2014I have been to this restaurant twice over the past three months. The fist time was a nice experience (good food, service, etc.). The recent trip on November 1st was less than stellar. We made a reservation for 8:30 and did not get seated until close to 9 PM. In the interim, I happened to look at the reservation list on their computer (not going behind any counter or private space) and the host asked me ... "can I help you buddy?" quite rude and not helpful given that they couldn't honor a reservation. Next time turn the screen around, honor reservations or be a bit more nicer to your customers ... especially in a college town with lots of choices!Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great food and service. Been coming to Palio for 4 years. A bit noise but that because people like to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and boisterousJet16VIPDined on 11/1/2014We had dinner after a UM football game so expected a busy night. Table for two was near two larger, noisy groups and at the end of the bar. Didn't like that more and more people kept clustering around our table impeding the waitstaffs' path and bumping into my husband's chair. Dinner was delicious - salmon for me. Would like vegetables with my meal, only came with spinach and onions on top so I requested mixed veggies on the side (delish squash!). As always, will come back but hope for a different table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The menu is on an iPad. My group did not see the benefit. We felt it took us awhile to make a decision because we had to keep turning back. Two in our party special ordered pasta, like our server said we could, however it came out nothing like the order. The kitchen was out of somethings and forgot to tell the server. Overpriced. Bowl of pasta 23 dollars. Recommend Olive Garden you get salad and breadstix with your meal for half what you pay at Palios.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014It was my daughters 23rd birthday and it was her choice in restaurants. Food was outstanding. Conner our server was very attentive and knew the menu inside and out. But most of all we had a great time. ThanksSpecial Features:
- PalioEatSomethingGoodDined on 10/18/2014Nestled in a quaint part of Ann Arbor, Palio's atmosphere is great. Very lively, fun and intimate. Service was average. Food was good, though overpriced.Special Features:
- Did not disappointpfhlad0Dined on 10/18/2014We've been to Palio quite a few times and it was wonderful, like always. The food is fantastic, the atmosphere is authentic and the service was great. Even being homecoming (which we did not know), the service was exceptional.Special Features:
- Issues With ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We went for Homecoming and mu mom initially made the reservation. She cancelled hers and put it in my name (Kellie) and the restaurant even called and confirmed a couple days ahead. Well, we were told that there was not a reservation in my name. That obviously was not correct. After we sorted through all that, they find the reservation only to find they have already seated people at my table!! Luckily we knew the people and it worked out but that was besides the point. The server, though, was excellent. Just need to get the reservation thing organized better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rigatoni...kekburDined on 10/18/2014...strascicati alla lucchese sono davvero buoni! e il pane di zingermann's è la ciliegina sulla torta... complimenti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnlaDined on 10/12/2014Palio is one of our favorite restaurants. This meal was outstanding!
- We love Palio'srabbijanDined on 10/11/2014We brought out of town guests to Palio's for dinner and had a wonderful meal. The waiter was attentive but not overbearing and the food was delicious. My only complaint was that I ordered an original daiquiri, not frozen or flavored, and the bartender didn't know what I wanted. When the waiter asked and I said a regular lime daiquiri I was told there was no daiquiri mix! Other than that, though, the evening was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheap quality, foodie pricesClayDined on 10/10/2014Poorly prepared starters, and the industrial grade olive oil spoiled the taste of the food. Also, seating people in the stairwell suggests desperation.
- Good food, horrible waitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was great, but even with our 7:30 pm reservation, we had to wait 40 minutes and weren't seated til 8:10 pm. One of the members of our group was 7 months pregnant and there were no seats in the crowded entry way for her to sit while we waited.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Sat us 1 hour after reservation time. Good was not anything special and it was too loud.
- Great food!ThehotterthebetterDined on 10/5/2014A little slow with the water and beverage delivery and our waitress never asked if we'd like more bread after we (quite obviously) devoured our first basket. Other than that, everybody thought their meal was delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Our server was very attentive, helpful, and courteous. She was excellent. Great service Great food. Great chef. My only criticism is, we did not like the wine served in little juice type glasses. Didn't enjoy the good wine as much because of the glasses used. I checked with a relative who just came back from Tuscany and she and her husband never encountered their wine being served in those little glasses anywhere in Italy including Tuscany. Their wine was always served in the appropriate wine glass for the wine being served. Our server told us you serve the wine in those little glasses because that is the way it is served in Tuscany. Even if it is a tradition in Tuscany, I think most Americans prefer wine glasses, I know our family does.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicenavylady14Dined on 10/3/2014The only issue I had was with the fruit flies. Unfortunately by the end of the evening we had killed 8 fruit flies at our table. Clean it up Palio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinnerrkb0929Dined on 9/29/2014I am currently on very restrictive diet for health reasons. Have been I'll for couple months. So it was difficult to decide where to go. I called to see if their pasta sauces are pretty made. No, they are made to order. So I had gluten free pasta with sauce minus garlic and onion. It was amazing!!! So delicious. The whole table was happy with their meals also. Great place for really cooking your food the way you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/27/2014We had heard such great things about Palio and were disappointed. The service was particularly poor.
- Kudos to PalioBarbFVIPDined on 9/27/2014This place knows how to handle a crowd! We went after a football game and they were busy. That being said, they honored our reservation, were exceedingly nice, got every order right and the food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Although the food was excellent, prices were too high. Bruschetta appetizer was 4 small French bread slices with toppings for $7.95. Main courses , desserts, and sides were equally overpriced. It would have been nice if soup or salad was included.Special Features:
- Perfect Date NightDorkmeisterDined on 9/27/20145 years ago I took my wife out on a "perfect date night" which included Palio's. It was our first time eating there and we've made it a tradition every year to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProportionsfoodgoddessDined on 9/20/2014The amount of food provided did not match the pricing. There should be more food for how expensive the dish was.Special Features:
- So sadMesa1Dined on 9/19/2014The veal Marsala was so tough I thought it was made from buffalo meat. The Alfredo sauce was extremely eggy. I have had dinner at Palio on a number of occasions and it has its ups and downs. While the food is not always good the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Great Chef!mgp1VIPDined on 9/12/2014Kudos to the chef, the food here is wonderful. The wine menu is extensive and we enjoy the atmosphere.Special Features:
- DeLynnDined on 9/8/2014We had the worst food ever. The Fettuchini alfredo dish we had was horribly dry and when we asked for addl sauce they brought us out a bowl of sauce that looked like milk with chunks in it. The brushetta had spagetti sauce on it. The ceasar salad had tough bitter lettuce with just a few pieces of parmesan on top with about 3 stale croutons. Overall it was a disaster. I would not recommend this place to anyone
- 5 star all aroundRonnieDined on 8/29/2014Everything was great - food, service, price. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual ItalianA2BradDined on 8/29/2014We have enjoyed Palio many times. It is a particular pleasure to dine outside. (Note that Palio operates a more or less independent restaurant on the rooftop; that location is fine too but has its own menu). We enjoyed the rigatoni with sausage and cream sauce, and a tortellaci (not sure about spelling!) - a large tortellini stuffed with veal. Both splendid. Service was attentive. Wine list has a number of good, affordable wines. Palio commissions its own house wines which are always good. While we like Palio at any time, their atmosphere is perfect when you can enjoy dinner out on the sidewalk.Special Features:
- TERRIBLEjimssvtDined on 8/26/2014We have been there before and had a great time. However, this time was bad. Party next to us was VERY loud. Had a salad with a BUG in it. Food (and everything else) took a VERY long time to get to us. By the time it did it was over cooked. After this experience I don't know if I want to go back. None of us do and we had a party of 11.
- Beautiful NightsjfineguyDined on 8/23/2014The night was lovely so al fresco dining was a wonderful option. My wife was somewhat disappointed with her eggplant parmesan, as she said it seemed like it was primarily zucchini rather than eggplant, at least to her taste. Otherwise the other 4 of us dining had a nice experience.Special Features:
- Mediocre & DisappointingToniDined on 8/23/2014I've had good meals at Palio, but this one was mediocre at best. The sausage and pepper pasta I had from the rooftop menu was lacking in flavor, but was abundantly greasy. I could've made this dish better at home, and wouldn't order it here again. My husband was disappointed he couldn't get a martini on the rooftop since there is a bar up there, after all. Why have a bar if you can't make a classic martini? Also, the appetizer options were severely lacking so we didn't get one. It would make sense to have a strong app. menu on the rooftop; I have to imagine people go up there for wine and small plates. The best part of the experience was being able to dine outside on a nice day in downtown Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitDaveVIPDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Palio. The food was excellent the service was pretty good considering our waitress was servicing a large group at the same time. We have been to Palios sister restaurants Gratzi and Chios and this was probably rated right below Gratzi and about the same as Chios.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSimoliDined on 8/12/2014Went there with three others with one celebrating a birthday. The food and ambiance were good. The 'birthday child' even got a free desert. Parking was close. The only negative would be that there were vinyl table cloths, not cloth.Special Features:
- Palio's on a Summer SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was fantastic. The service was prompt, and the wine was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badwallyDined on 8/9/2014Palio used to be one of my favorite restaurants but their menu has changed and is limited now. The noise level is unbelievable- we were a large party seated by the kitchen and there was clashing of metal throughout our meal. There was confusion about a pre-planned birthday celebration, that was very awkward. Very sad that it's not what it used to be!Special Features:
- Great foodgr8foodDined on 8/9/2014I recently went to Palio for a Bachelorette party, and it was a great dining experience. The food was fantastic, the overall wait time for our food to arrive was also decent. We initially had reservations for downstairs, but the staff was quickly able to accommodate our party to a rooftop table during a last minute request. I definitely plan on returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in Italymgp1VIPDined on 8/5/2014Found this using my opentable Ap...and the food was AMAZING! Had the cavtappi with chicken, bruschetta and grilled calamari...like you would find in ITALY! I will be back. Wine list was top notch.Special Features: