Palio - Ann Arbor
347 S. Main
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Palio - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paliorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7349306156
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private party seating available for up to 40 guests, featuring the rustic Palio charm & our special Festa di Vitto menu.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Jacobs 8884563463
A word from Palio - Ann Arbor
Revel in the simple good taste of country Italian cooking in a convivial setting. Enjoy traditional Italian wines in a comfortable atmosphere. The wonderful aromas of this true Italian cooking are something to be savored. click here for information on special events and promotions http://www.paliorestaurant.com The Palio Rooftop is walk-in only!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Palio - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Palio - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (45)special occasion (33)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (21)romantic (21)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (15)great for lunch (10)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Chef!mgp1VIPDined on 9/12/2014Kudos to the chef, the food here is wonderful. The wine menu is extensive and we enjoy the atmosphere.Special Features:
- DeLynnDined on 9/8/2014We had the worst food ever. The Fettuchini alfredo dish we had was horribly dry and when we asked for addl sauce they brought us out a bowl of sauce that looked like milk with chunks in it. The brushetta had spagetti sauce on it. The ceasar salad had tough bitter lettuce with just a few pieces of parmesan on top with about 3 stale croutons. Overall it was a disaster. I would not recommend this place to anyone
- 5 star all aroundRonnieDined on 8/29/2014Everything was great - food, service, price. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual ItalianA2BradDined on 8/29/2014We have enjoyed Palio many times. It is a particular pleasure to dine outside. (Note that Palio operates a more or less independent restaurant on the rooftop; that location is fine too but has its own menu). We enjoyed the rigatoni with sausage and cream sauce, and a tortellaci (not sure about spelling!) - a large tortellini stuffed with veal. Both splendid. Service was attentive. Wine list has a number of good, affordable wines. Palio commissions its own house wines which are always good. While we like Palio at any time, their atmosphere is perfect when you can enjoy dinner out on the sidewalk.Special Features:
- TERRIBLEjimssvtDined on 8/26/2014We have been there before and had a great time. However, this time was bad. Party next to us was VERY loud. Had a salad with a BUG in it. Food (and everything else) took a VERY long time to get to us. By the time it did it was over cooked. After this experience I don't know if I want to go back. None of us do and we had a party of 11.
- Beautiful NightsjfineguyDined on 8/23/2014The night was lovely so al fresco dining was a wonderful option. My wife was somewhat disappointed with her eggplant parmesan, as she said it seemed like it was primarily zucchini rather than eggplant, at least to her taste. Otherwise the other 4 of us dining had a nice experience.Special Features:
- Mediocre & DisappointingToniDined on 8/23/2014I've had good meals at Palio, but this one was mediocre at best. The sausage and pepper pasta I had from the rooftop menu was lacking in flavor, but was abundantly greasy. I could've made this dish better at home, and wouldn't order it here again. My husband was disappointed he couldn't get a martini on the rooftop since there is a bar up there, after all. Why have a bar if you can't make a classic martini? Also, the appetizer options were severely lacking so we didn't get one. It would make sense to have a strong app. menu on the rooftop; I have to imagine people go up there for wine and small plates. The best part of the experience was being able to dine outside on a nice day in downtown Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitDaveVIPDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Palio. The food was excellent the service was pretty good considering our waitress was servicing a large group at the same time. We have been to Palios sister restaurants Gratzi and Chios and this was probably rated right below Gratzi and about the same as Chios.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSimoliDined on 8/12/2014Went there with three others with one celebrating a birthday. The food and ambiance were good. The 'birthday child' even got a free desert. Parking was close. The only negative would be that there were vinyl table cloths, not cloth.Special Features:
- Palio's on a Summer SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014The food was fantastic. The service was prompt, and the wine was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badwallyDined on 8/9/2014Palio used to be one of my favorite restaurants but their menu has changed and is limited now. The noise level is unbelievable- we were a large party seated by the kitchen and there was clashing of metal throughout our meal. There was confusion about a pre-planned birthday celebration, that was very awkward. Very sad that it's not what it used to be!Special Features:
- Great foodgr8foodDined on 8/9/2014I recently went to Palio for a Bachelorette party, and it was a great dining experience. The food was fantastic, the overall wait time for our food to arrive was also decent. We initially had reservations for downstairs, but the staff was quickly able to accommodate our party to a rooftop table during a last minute request. I definitely plan on returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in Italymgp1VIPDined on 8/5/2014Found this using my opentable Ap...and the food was AMAZING! Had the cavtappi with chicken, bruschetta and grilled calamari...like you would find in ITALY! I will be back. Wine list was top notch.Special Features:
- trevisanoDined on 8/2/2014excellent lasagna a bit noisy was nice and cool on a humid day
- Usually good but not this timeDaveJoeyDined on 7/26/2014The food and atmosphere is usually good. This time they seated our party of two in an area full of large, unbelievably loud people. While experience was nearly unbearable this time but it usually isn't like that. Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhFairDined on 7/25/2014Service was ok, food was decent. The main issue was not owning up to a mistake. My fiance ordered a pizza without tomatoes on it. Right before our meal was delivered they came up to us and let us know they could not make it without the tomatoes and brought it out with them, instead of remaking our order or at least apologizing.
- foodiefromMIchiganDined on 7/19/2014I go to Palio every year for my birthday. I love the food and the atmosphere. It's not just a special occasion spot though because their food is amazing and their prices are very reasonable. It truly is a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Dinner during art fair.ModgieDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant was not at all crowded, but the food was not delivered steaming hot. My Margerita pizza was pretty tasteless and not that pretty to look at. It was described as being a "thin crust" pizza, but wasn't that thin and crispy. I was one of a party of 5 with 2 children, who ordered off the children 's menu. Our waiter failed to point out that children's meals include beverage and dessert. We had to ask for both. Palio used to be my favorite place, though haven 't been there in 2 years. I was disappointed.
- Excellent food great serviceaandrade01Dined on 7/16/2014Bethany are server was very knowledgeable of the menu she was great! The food just flowed the great service with excellent taste! I had a sea food pasta with a Arribbiata sauce recommended by a server on a previous visit. Over all Extremely pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can't quite recommendOTuserDined on 6/26/2014The food at Palio is good and the ambience inviting. But we were unhappy with the service - 4 of us were in a booth and the restaurant was mostly empty, yet our server made us feel pressured to hurry, wanting to clear plates before we were through, seeming impatient if we sat between or after courses just to talk, and bringing us a check while we were still considering dessert. Also, wine is served in small jelly glasses, which is a trademark of this restaurant but I personally do not enjoy that.
- PhenomenalAndrewskiDined on 6/23/2014I took my wife for her birthday, it was our first time. The service and food was stupendous. Can't wait to try out the patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palio - Great as always!Q123456TDined on 6/20/2014From the food to the server to the ambiance, once again I can give Palio a well deserved 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic italianMangiamoDined on 6/14/2014Palio is one of the few restaurants with the kitchen in prominent view and who serves wine the way the Italians do: in simple juice glasses. The food is prepared authentically in the regional Italian style. Delicioso!Special Features:
- Good restaurant overallWolverine81Dined on 5/25/2014The food and service are pretty good here. I'd say service was slightly slow due to being busy over the Memorial Day weekend. I think one confusing issue is the fact they have different menus for their lower floor and up stairs, but it doesn't explain that clearly when you book the reservations online. When we showed up, there seemed to be some confusion over our reservations (we had made them online via this website). We ended up upstairs, and again, it didn't have all the menu items we expected. Also, they seem to have a more limited bar service up there, but will get you drinks from downstairs - which will take longer.Special Features:
- Excellent in every way!luvA2Dined on 5/21/2014Palio was the perfect place to bring our out-of-town friends we don't get to see often enough. The food was excellent! I can't praise it enough! Our waitress was attentive and helpful, and she kindly let us talk for three hours. I would go back in a heartbeat and highly recommend it!Special Features:
- The following 586 reviews are from the Palio - Ann Arbor reviews archive.
- chadamDined on 5/17/2014Outstanding, very quiet, great food, great service....friendly greeters.....outstanding!!Special Features:
- A Bit DisappointedcmvtDined on 5/11/2014This was my second time here. It was Mother's Day. Ordered the Chicken Parmesan. The chicken and the pasta needed seasoning. They were quite bland. It really didn't look or taste like a $20 plate. The waitress also initially missed taking my daughter's drink order. The pizza margherita my son ordered looked a bit undercooked. Not the best mother's day meal I was expecting.Special Features:
- Great food, but too noisyCherylGDined on 5/11/2014The food didn't disapoint, but if you want to have a conversation do not eat inside this restaraunt . I will go back again, but only if I sit outside!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a bad placemamaynarDined on 5/10/2014Palio is a great place in terms of outdoor dining, they offer their roof and outside for it, so there is a lot more space to dine outdoors, and in warm weather that is very nice. Their wine menu is good in the fact that they have a range of prices. One thing I didn't like about the wine was it was served in what appeared to be slightly oversized shot glasses. My pork tenderloin was cooked well but the vegetables were definitely flavorless and not fresh. Our calamari appetizer sounded great (grilled calamari) but also lacked any flavor. However my dates veal tortelloni was excellent, so maybe their specialty is pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Definite MissDavidDined on 4/27/2014We have enjoyed eating at the various Main Street Restaurants for years (Gratzi, Chop House, Real Seafood Company), but I had never been to Palio before. This was a bad experience. We had told the waiter that we were in a hurry - please rush us in and out. Our orders were for simple items (soup, salads, pastas). The food arrived 45 minutes after ordering and wrong. Perhaps it was a communication issue between us and the waiter, between the waiter and the kitchen, but between the extensive wait (the restaurant was busy but not packed) and the food mistakes I will not be returning any time soon. Next time - Gratzi.
- Absolutely amazingFoodieDined on 4/26/2014My friends and I barely spoke at dinner because we were too busy eating. And when we did speak, we were talking about how amazing the service was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.BirthdaygroupDined on 4/26/2014Food and service was outstanding. The only caveat I have is that the noise level is too high. The owner should invest in noise canceling or absorption to abate the unreasonable noise level.Special Features:
- Great ambienceMinkski21Dined on 4/19/2014Love the old time traditional Italian atmosphere of this restaurant. Food is EXCELLENT! Great place to celebrate family occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good atmospherefoodlover17Dined on 4/17/2014I really enjoyed my meal here, as did the other two members of my party. Despite it being busy, our food didn't take forever and was delicious. Expect the wait staff to just bring out a tray of desserts...they all looked so good. We couldn't say no. I got the carrot cake (AMAZING).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there wtih another coupleEater1Dined on 4/12/2014Went there wtih another couple for an evening to catch up, eat great food and drink good wine! Palio succeeded to deliver in all three areas. Had a wonderful time, the food was awesome all the way down to the pineapple upside down cake! Yum!Special Features:
- I'll be backilikefoodDined on 4/11/2014Really good authentic Italian food, great atmosphere, attention to detail. I will go back and tell friends about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in everywayJaniePantsDined on 4/11/2014The staff was very nice and the food was very good. Their menus are on tablet mobile devices which is very nice. Each dish has a description, a picture, and a list of wines that have been paired with that specific dish. The food was served in a perfect amount of time, not too long, not too quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night location...AnthonyJDined on 4/5/2014Excellent food and service!!! Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food in Ann ArborRonnieDined on 4/5/2014Great place all around. It was crowded, but it was a Saturday night with lots of activity over the weekend. We had a party of 5 and everyone loved their meal. the only caution is most plates had tons of pepper. So if you don't like pepper, make sure to tell your server no pepper. Good service, and the prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBethDined on 4/4/2014Another successful evening at Palio. Food and service were both top notch. My husband and I don't visit Palios that often but always have a good time. This restaurant is worthy of being recommended to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.