700 Tchoupitoulas St
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palettenola.com/
- Phone: 5046132350x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30AM - 11:00AM
Lunch Monday –Friday 11:30AM-2:30PM
Dinner: Monday- Saturday: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Sarrat
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Javier Corral 504-613-22350x
- Special Events: Happy Hour 7 Days a Week 4:00PM-7:00PM
A word from Palette
Discover the perfect marriage of Creole, Cajun and Southern flavors, all expertly infused into the freshest Regional seafood, produce and meat available. The result? Hand-crafted regional American cuisine designed not only to sate your hunger, but to satisfy your soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Palette reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- AwefulMonthlydinnersDined on 8/2/2014I will never eat there again. Rude service and took over an hour to get our entrees. Food was poor. Chicken was rubbery.Special Features:
- Tom GreenfieldOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Great food. Really great! Terrible service, rarely anyone there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BreakfasttexasjayDined on 7/5/2014Food was really good, but it took a little longer than expected for breakfast food. The waitress had to be reminded to bring a few food items and seemed to be annoyed at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehTprottVIPDined on 6/21/2014Food was decent., don't bother with the ceviche trio. Service was very slow. We were the only table in the restaurant and somehow it took forever to get our drinks. When we were done eating we sat for at least 10 min waiting for our dirty plates to be bussed. Food was ok other than the ceviche but nothing too memorable.
- A little disappointingAZFoodieDined on 5/17/2014We chose this restaurant based on the on-line menu but the menu was different when we arrived. We had planned to order the Gulf Stream platter and it was different. Same price; no lobster. However, the item was not available. We were invited to try the special citron basil martini which two of us did but when a third party wanted one there were no more available. The salad dressings had a strong vinegar taste. The waiter was polite and tried very hard but seemed scared. He did not know how to answer questions about the menu. The restaurant looked fine but the lights were a bit bright for dinner. This worked well for us because we had an infant and there was plenty of room between tables for the stroller. Good location, courteous staff.Special Features:
- The following 40 reviews are from the Palette reviews archive.
- Neither the food nor the serviceJMNOLAVIPDined on 4/6/2013Neither the food nor the service lived up to our expecttations
- Disappointing for foodiesddhdurhamVIPDined on 4/6/2013We are foodies and were disappointed. The dressing on the frisee salad had practically no flavor. The diver scallops which included 2 scallops and some other fish was adequate, but the platter also was lacking in flavor. The sardines appetizer was good and inventive. The ambience was upscale, quiet and comfortable.
- I like the location -- nicelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2013I like the location -- nicely set up inside. The waiter was rude though, he rushed us through the meal and his description of the special was incomprehensible (he described the fish as 'scorned'?). The mussels were really nice. But the rest was just ok.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Very poor service- server was not attentive at all... Long waits for food without a single visit to table to refill water or I quire if I wanted another glass of wine.
- We were regulars at the originalBentheadsVIPDined on 3/9/2013We were regulars at the original Rene Bistro and we are very happy to have a fine French dining option once again. The garlic soup was spectacular, the Tart Flambe and Moules Marinier were classsic and spot on and the goat cheese ravioli were quite good as well. The wine list offers some unique choices and validated parking is available with the hotel.Special Features:
- The food and service werecfhnolaVIPDined on 3/9/2013The food and service were excellent. The mussels and oyster appetizers were sizable portions as were the lamb shank and roast chicken entrees. Desserts were a bit disappointing. So fully enjoy the appetizers and entrees and don't worry about leaving room for dessert. The adjacent Renaissance Arts hotel lobby is worth taking a walk through to see the art on display.Special Features:
- A true French bistrotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/6/2013Classic French food preparation craftsmanship. Good for French cuisine aficionados and for those willing to acquire a taste for it. The apetizer menu has enough variety for you to sample around. The main course menu lists the classics on one side, and their own creations on the the other as a way to honor and show respect for tradition and enough boldness to go your own way. I like it when chefs do that.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2013Was not amazing. The menu was well thought out and the food was good, but not great.
- They were short staffed...tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2013They were short staffed...tables were not bused, and the service was slow. There ws a large convention in town, but still, a request for coffe and dessert meanies resulted in the check. Our server disappeared. The food was still quite good however.Special Features:
- Pretty Good food, personableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2013Pretty Good food, personable service- they were out of many of the dishes as well as wines.
- Normally hotel restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/4/2013Normally hotel restaurants are not a first choice but based on reviews and convenience decided to schedule a convention lunch here. We were not disappointed in the least. Several of us ordered a very delicious hot chevre appetizer with roasted tomatoes and freshly made garlic toast which I would highly recommend; the onion soup also got good ratings at the table. The prices are not inexpensive but the quality of the food and service, plus comfortable amenities, made it worthwhile for a business lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- The shredded duck confit shepherd'sGaryVIPDined on 2/28/2013The shredded duck confit shepherd's pie is one of the best things I ever ate. Topped it off with the peanut butter cheesequake, which was less inspired. Very nice place; a cut above the usual stodgy hotel restaurant in terms of style and decor.Special Features:
- A Special FindCoyote526VIPDined on 2/25/2013We are here for a week so we can eat our way across the city. So far we enjoyed two wonderful meals at Rene's. We plan dine here on Saturday night and Sunday brunch before we leave New Orleans. As the name implies this is French Bistro type food and not Cajun or Creole in flavor. Our first meal on this visit started with a glass of Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sav. paired with appetizers of Roasted Beet Salad and a Charcuterie containing 3 different pate's (YUM YUM) The Charcuterie is large enough to feed 2. Our entre's were boneless Beef Short Ribs (YUM YUM) with a French flavor profile.Special Features:
- The food was simply not upOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 2/17/2013The food was simply not up to the level of what else is available nearby. Our roasted beet salads were overdressed with a mediocre vinaigrette. Trout had burnt patches on the skin. Baklava dessert was limp rather than crisp. Other food was no better than "OK". In this town it's simple to find a better place to eat.
- Poorly staffed for a busyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Poorly staffed for a busy Valentines Day. I am a NOLA local and was looking around for a French (or French themed) spot and came across this place. Have tried several others in town and have enjoyed the food and experience at all others, however this was a flop. Then again I did not realize that the place is a restaurant in the lobby of a hotel with in-room mini-bar style pricing. Food was so so and we were served by four different stressed out and slow servers along with a 20 min with at the hostess station even though we had made a reservation. Dinner for two and a bottle of their most "economical" white wine came to $140.00. Thanks but no thanks.
- Elegant yet relaxed, intimateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Elegant yet relaxed, intimate feel: subdued lighting, white brick columns. French bistro food with some foodie twists. A special for our visit was truffled grilled oysters chateaubriand for entree. Eager to return and eat our way through the regular menu. We went on Valentine's Day. That may account for finding the service staff friendly and knowledgeable, but stretched. Kitchen view seating available at the bar.Special Features:
- Just wanted to celebrate a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/14/2013We went on Valentine's day, but were celebrating a birthday. Mentioned it when making reservation, to the floor manager, and to the chef when he walked to the table and no dessert or anything was brought to the table to celecrate. Applebee's even sends you a piece of cake. Food was hit and miss.... raw oysters and mussels were awesome, but the steak and fried oyster dishes were bland and lacked spicing. Chartuerie plate- I liked two out of the three items, but no crackers or bread. Our waiter, although I know busy because it was Valentine's Day, ignored our empty water glasses and my request to see the wine menu again. As we sat with completely empty water glasses he managed to pour wine into the glasses to top of the guests at the taSpecial Features:
- It was good. Not outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013It was good. Not outstanding or what we were expecting from dining hereSpecial Features:
- Ambitious menu. Poor executionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/12/2013Ambitious menu. Poor execution. The menu had an interesting selection but most of the dishes we ordered were uninspired and boring.Special Features:
- Food and service was fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013Food and service was fabulous. Treated like gold. Extremely tastey and succulent.Special Features:
- Great food, as expected.LesPocheVIPDined on 2/2/2013Great food, as expected. They were out of the skate, even though it was listed on the online menu, which was a bummer for me. I had the lobster special instead and was very pleased. Great escargots and fresh raw oysters. If you have a large appetite, do not miss the Veal Holstein!Special Features:
- Super SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013We were able to get last minute reservations Sat. night before the Super Bowl. They were very accomodating. Food was better than expected. The French Onion soup lives up to its reputationSpecial Features:
- French bistros do not serveKeithVIPDined on 1/25/2013French bistros do not serve fish tempura w frites. Appetizers good. Rest just ok
- All good food, but there wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2013All good food, but there was crab shell in my crab meat omelet. My advice: Be careful when you bite down/swallow...could have wrecked my esophagus! All in all, delicious brunch esp. the croque monsieur.Special Features:
- Possibly one of the worstIlivetoeatDined on 1/5/2013Possibly one of the worst meals I have had in the last 6 months. I was always such a fan of Rene's cooking, but my last 2 meals there can only be described as a total waste.
- The price was 75.00 per person.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012The price was 75.00 per person. I assumed it was a served course, it was not. It was a mediocre buffet. Desserts were a type of Sysco packaged deal. Only the oysters were of a quality that I expected. The bar was very limited and our waiter bordered on rude. To top it off the 15.00 valet pointed at our car at the end of the night and said there it is you can go get it. It was at the end of the block.I may have been so disappointed because my expectations were so high. I guess I need to assume that New Year's Eve dinners are going to be a rip off.
- Not good for a date.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Overpriced buffet for New Years. Great food but not what I was looking for.Special Features:
- Ruined my FIRST anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2012The mussels were fantastic, but the rest of the food was not very good. If you are looking for great mussels and wanting to wait to be seated, this a is place to go, but don't order anything else. My husband and I went there for our 1st anniversary and I will never be able to get that back!
- Greasy Vealfood4thoughtVIPDined on 8/4/2012Very unimpressed with this new version of the old Rene Bistrot. I remembered the food as being spectacular, and so we decided to try it out. I had the paneed veal dish, which was mostly comprised of a greasy panko coating over a super thing, almost non existent, slice of veal. I ended up peeling off the breading and eating what I could of the dish. Drinks were good and the service was professional and pleasant. I hope that they pull the food together, or they will not last too long.
- our group of 4 on ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/24/2011our group of 4 on Thanksgiving thoroughly enjoyed our meal. the service was excelent!Special Features:
- We dined here the night afterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/1/2010We dined here the night after New Year's Eve. The restaurant was empty and the chef could've used the night off. He finally warmed up to our group, and perhaps he was just exhausted. I would choose some other places to try before going back here again. I would like to give it anoher a chance on a night that doesn't follow a major holiday.
- We did not even get to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/31/2009We did not even get to dine here because we sat at the door for literally ten minutes without anyone greeting/seating us. I was very upset because I really wanted to dine at this establishment during our trip to New Orleans. We had received a promotion from the hotel we were staying at so we made reservations, dressed up and showed up. There was one table eating and about one person at the bar. We stood at the host desk and computer for quite sometime and no one came. The bartender made eye contact and we thought she would seat us, nope. What were we supposed to do, yell, "Hello does anyone work here?" I wish there had been a bell to ring, that was how bad it was. We finally decided that they obviously did not want our business.
- I thought the food was mediocreALA50VIPDined on 4/4/2009I thought the food was mediocre and the service was horrible. For the price you pay, it certainly IS NOT worth it.
- The restaurant was nearlyHansDined on 9/13/2008The restaurant was nearly empty on a Saturday night in a very happening part of town. The food was incredible, the service was not. The waitress was also the hostess. She did not know the menu nor could she make suggestions. She was also not trained on the proper way to serve (handing us forks with appetizers, etc). She seemed irritated that she had to wait on us (it was 8:30 PM and we were one of only three tables which had patrons at the restaurant). She did poor the wine properly. With some training on how to market the establishment, the food could make that place one of the top places to dine in the warehouse district of New Orleans. One would think since this is a Renaissance HOtel restaurant the Marriott would train their staff.
- La Cote never seems to beYoumay1Dined on 7/27/2008La Cote never seems to be very busy, and I cannot understand why. The armosphere is good, the food is good, and the prices are reasonable.Special Features: