1359 Bardstown Road
Louisville, KY 40204Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Palermo-Viejo-Authentic-Argentine-Restaurant/132222680172
- Phone: 5024566461
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, South American
- Executive Chef: Federico Elbl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Occasional live music.
A word from Palermo Viejo
Palermo Viejo is the only authentic Argentine restaurant in 3 states & features the only Argentine charcoal grill in the Midwest. Palermo Viejo specializes in free-range beef, handmade pasta & Argentine wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Palermo Viejo - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Palermo Viejo reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (11)romantic (10)good for groups (8)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Unique & ReliableFranDined on 9/6/2014Always excellent food and unique flavors. Moderately priced. A great value. A bit noisy, but not to the point of distraction. The restaurant was crowded (a good sign) and there was a bit of a delay between our appetizer and main course. We were in no hurry, however, and the food was worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!RKVille1Dined on 9/4/2014The authentic Argentinean fare is a treat. Our party had a little of everything. The pasta, fish, empanadas, desserts, & meat were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice all aroundZinphanyDined on 8/30/2014Small quaint place. The food is the right amount and very tasty. The server was fast and knowledgeable. The sangria was very tasty with a punch. Good noise level to converse. I recommended and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak!MissJessDined on 8/14/2014Palermo Viejo honestly has some of the best steaks/meat I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. I have recommended this place multiple times to multiple people. Every item on the menu is absolutely succulent and I love eating here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palermo Viejomashie01Dined on 8/9/2014I liked this place so much, I returned a week later. The steak and chorizo sausage are excellent, and I love the based cheese appetizer. My only real disappointment was the salad, which was only so-so. I loved the fact that it was full or hearts of palm, but the rest of the salad was absolutely nothig special, and lacked any flavor or spark. You can do better! Decent wine list, decent drinks. Not a cheap evening, but worth it for a sometimes treat! I was with a large group of nine people, and service was well done, if not perfect.Special Features:
- Pc1029VIPDined on 8/2/2014We haven't been for a while and enjoyed going back. Everyone got something different and liked what they ordered. Service was great. I had the salad with hearts of palm in it and the 1/2 chicken, plus we shared the cosida and calamari for appetizers. Lots of food and all very tasty.Special Features:
- Good Atmosphere & Comfort FoodBwooliesDined on 7/19/2014We dined at this restaurant with a party of 4 on a Saturday night. We had no problem getting a table earlier than our reservation although about half of the tables were filled. We thought about sitting outside but the tables were very close to the street exhaust so we dined inside. The atmosphere was lively and the waitress was very attentive throughout our visit. The food was good comfort food - half chicken & salad, chicken with red pepper, onions and mashed potatoes, a beef pasta dish, etc. Everyone liked their food and our only comment was that we would have liked more spices or variety/complexity of flavors. It is definitely a good comfort food type of menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014We absolutely love Palermo Viejo. It's romantic, personable, delicious, and our go to restaurant on date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snobery for no reasonexercisetoeat48VIPDined on 7/9/2014My family decided to go there for a spontaneous special occasion. We were asked if we had reservations and looked down upon for not, even though the restaurant was less than half full. The waitress forgot to put in our appetizer order because she wrote nothing down, therefore all food came together, which is a huge pet peeve. When asked about a couple of classic drinks, she did not even inquire with the bartender as to making them. Our steaks were overcooked and had to ask 3 times for another drink. Very disappointing, have had delicious meals there. The cheese plate, which was described as one of the best of Louisville award winners looked like a 1st grader threw cheese and grapes on a plate. Bummer.
- Something for everythingKyRoamerDined on 7/5/2014We had a vegetarian who said his portobello dish was the best ever. My wife enjoyed her fish. My half chicken was excellent. Usually I have beef there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Rush to Order!derbycitypalatteDined on 7/5/2014Met an old friend who now lives out of town. Spent an hour catching up over a carafe of white sangria. The waiter artfully kept an eye on us too see if we were ready to order but never interrupted. She took her cue when we finally picked up our menus. Both the salmon and flank steak were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceKarenDined on 6/19/2014Loved the restaurant and the ambience. Louisville has much to offer. Some food is a bit spicy, so ask the wait staff what not to eat if spicy isn't your thing.Special Features:
- The following 255 reviews are from the Palermo Viejo reviews archive.
- great place !NurseseaDined on 4/18/2014my husband, son and I dined here on a recent first visit to Louisville. The Highlands neighborhood is quite the cool spot, very walkable and fun. Palermo Viejo was unique and delicious. Our server was quite helpful in suggesting entree items. I had sweetbreads as part of my mixed grill entree and they were delicious, along with everything else. we all enjoyed our food, and plan to return.Special Features:
- One of my favorite go-to restaurantbama426Dined on 4/4/2014One of my favorite go-to restaurants in Louisville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice a monthFoodie2VIPDined on 3/14/2014Great for the diet. A tenderloin with a salad of your choosing. They also have more traditional Argnyian selections. Fish, chickem, shrimp. We go at least twice a month.Special Features:
- Great mealKyRoamerDined on 2/28/2014Not just a steakhouse. Many excellent vegetarian choices. But the steak, chicken and fish dishes were the best.Special Features:
- Great foodkkasunDined on 2/22/2014We loved the food, the atmosphere, and the service! There are so many choices that we will have to go back a few more times to try out everything we were interested in! The prices are very reasonable for what you get! I can't wait to go back in the spring or summer and eat outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great potentialredheadfoodiewrandomdateDined on 2/19/2014Palermo serves SOME great food, We both had steaks (filet & rib-eye) they were great quality. Didn't understand the Chimicurri sauce - very tart, guess it is an Argentinean thing… We had the garlic fries YUM YUM! Very inventive However… The salad was WEIRD! cheap iceberg, tomato and HUGE amounts of hearts of palm…. dressing was also very tart The thing that got me the most is the place used the CHEAPEST silverware, dishes, & glasses. The tablecloths have not been changed in YEARS - very worn and dated. It is time to liven up the place, sorry I do not go out to dinner to eat off of salvation army type dishes…… I now remember why I have only visited Palermo 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years Not bad enough but lacking too much to be very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood originalnoshingawayDined on 2/18/2014Have been several times now and each time the food is delicious. The beef is tender, cooked to your taste, and delivered to your table sizzling. The house salad is delicious, as is the house-made pasta, and there is an interesting wine selection. Reservations are needed on weekends. This small intimate restaurant adds to the Highlands dining scene. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not let me downDianeDined on 2/15/2014I took my valentine out on a belated date and was pleased with the food, service, and overall experience. The seating was a bit tight, but doable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bardstown Road meets Argentina!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Palermos is in an intimate space that combines the delicious foods of Argentina with the convenience and fun of Bardstown Road. We ordered the pork dinner with red cabbage and whipped potatoes. The meat was fork tender, seasoned beautifully and delicious. The red cabbage was the most yummy, flavorful dish that I've ever had made from that vegetable. It was perfect, in fact, and I could have made a meal of it. I'm glad I didn't though because the pork was so good. My guest had the filet and it was amazing. Tender, flavorful beef cooked to perfection was the perfect size. It was served on a grill heated with a hot coal to keep the meat the perfect temperature. The server was attentive and non-intrusive.Special Features:
- Great Date Place!Nmthie01Dined on 2/15/2014My husband and I enjoyed a belated Valentine's Day dinner at Palermo Viejo. The food was wonderful and the atmosphere quite cozy. We absolutely loved the homemade banana ice cream for dessert. We almost went back the next day to order it again!Special Features:
- Customer ServicekbowmanDined on 2/13/2014Wait staff was awesome, food was served in a timely matter with a smile and friendly attitude never had an empty glass. Also on a side note I dropped an I.D card while at the restraint the next day the staff called me and held it for me till I could return for it which I truly appreciated. I would recommend this place to anyone not just because the food was awesome but more importantly the service was as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good flavorssouthernfoodieDined on 1/31/2014Three of us, 2 had flank steak, one fish. Flavors all blended together and had a good snap! All agreed it was delicious! Loved how the steaks were brought to a table on a grill, asparagus were fresh and perfectly cooked. Service was most friendly. Would like to go back and try something different.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014We wanted to try something new for dinner. So we found Palermo Viejo on Opentable. It sounded great after reading the menu and it was amazing. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Friday nightPhotopro24Dined on 1/24/2014Enough variety to ease everyone. Very attentive staff. Love coming here to celebrate something special. Don't miss out on the appetizers or the homemade ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Argentinian...deepOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Authentic Argentinian...deep robust spices on and in various cuts of beef, chicken and sausages. Nice house salad with hearts of palm and fresh tomato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveninglkng4goodeatsDined on 1/11/2014good food. good service. could order ~4 great apps and make a meal for 2. small & busy on a Saturday night, but w reservations went right in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and AuthenticnikkibDined on 1/10/2014Palermo Viejo is a wonderful taste of Argentina in the heart of Louisville. Anything off of the grill is phenomenal--I enjoyed a perfect filet. I spent a semester studying abroad in Buenos Aires (and loved the food), so I'm so happy to have found a place near home that offers some authentic Argentine cuisine! My little sister and I took our mom here for her birthday and had a lovely evening. The only reason I gave the food a 4/5 is because of the empanadas. Empanadas are central to Argentine cuisine and, while the empanadas at Palermo Viejo were good, they weren't as excellent as I expected. They were also much smaller than traditional, so didn't seem a very good value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had not been in quite awhileAudmaryDined on 12/31/2013We had not been in quite awhile but need to increase our visits. Pasta was seasoned just right not strong garlic, Steaks were all done perfect. Salads came with meal were plenty and tasty. Chorizo was a great appetizer choice. reasonable pricing and wit staff very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceSuperJames74Dined on 12/28/2013The food, service, and ambience were all excellent, period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, Palermo did notcrochetcpaDined on 12/21/2013As always, Palermo did not disappoint!!! We had a wonderful dinner and wonderful experience!! Great wait staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/30/2013I love this restaurant. The food is all very good. The melted provolone cheese appetizer - serendipity! The variety meat platter is a great variety of items, the chimichuri sauce is wonderful. Enjoy all with a great Malbec wine. I will return again. I would propose less artichoke hearts on the salad. A few is okay. Featuring them is overkill. Anything with the word choke in it should be used lightly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was awesome. Had ribeyecathyDined on 11/23/2013Food was awesome. Had ribeye and lomo whipped potatoes salad. Heart of palms was excellent.Special Features:
- Paleo-mazing!HoosierMamaVIPDined on 11/22/2013We have lived within walking distance of this restaurant for a year and just tried it for the first time. It was fantastic beyond our expectations. On paper, the menu is perfect for our diet/lifestyle choices. The execution of the meal was startlingly good. Our steaks were prepared perfectly and the chimichurri was excellent. Byte service was attentive without being intrusive. We will definitely return. Reservations needed.Special Features:
- Very Nice Steak Restaurant.FlyingCamelDined on 10/26/2013The restaurant is very nice and the menu has a fair amount of variety. The steak is served on a charcoal grill to keep it warm at the table. This means the sides are served in a kind of a la carte manor. They are easy to share if you don't get the salad. I think they use a wood fired grill so the food gets s nice smokey flavor. Over all it was a nice experience and I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be much betterjohndDined on 10/19/2013Overall food did not meet standards of the pricing level.
- Palermo Viejo is a Louisville GemK9KrunchiesDined on 10/12/2013Palermo Viejo is one of Louisville's culinary treasures. I visit this restaurant fairly frequently & have never had a bad experience there. The meat is always spot-on in terms of being cooked to order. The build-your-own salad with hearts of palm is fresh and amazing. They have a pretty decent selection of nice wines, to compliment any meal choice. And the dulce de leche crepes are a MUST!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just average ...MidatlanticDined on 10/1/2013The menu was nice, but the excecution was just average. The steaks were relatively tough. The vinaigrette dressing basically water. The decor seems unfinished. All in all just an average place.
- Great ambiance and servicevirusgroundDined on 9/27/2013The ribeye steak wasn't as good as we had expected. The tilapia was fantastic. Ambiance was great and so was the service.Special Features: