11 South Fullerton Ave.
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palazzonj.com/
- Phone: (973) 746-6778
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm,
Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 1:30pm - 9:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: John Giglio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: On and off-site catering is available.
- Private Party Facilities: Palazzo offers a fresh take on skillfully prepared Italian & world cuisine. The atmosphere is stylish and sophisticated yet warm and relaxed. Whether it be graduation, birthday party, family gathering or office function, Palazzo specializes in private parties both on and off premises.
- Private Party Contact: John or Nick 9737466778
- Entertainment: Live jazz on Friday & Saturday evenings.
A word from Palazzo Restaurant
Palazzo is an upscale Italian restaurant, using Mediterranean and carefully sourced ingredients such as octopus, whole Branzino, Ahi-tuna, Atlantic Salmon Angus beef, milk fed veal, homemade pastas and ravioli. Our delicious desserts stray from traditional Italian, but for good reason as the crème brûlée, bread pudding and tiramisu are outstanding. We also have live jazz on Fridays & Saturdays. Private parties can be accommodated on or off site.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Palazzo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)romantic (27)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (15)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- ALWAYS GREAThappydinerDined on 11/25/2014Have dined here for years - in the heart of downtown Montclair, so there is always something going on. Great town. Food is consistently excellent, staff is wonderful, atmosphere is wonderful. A true don't miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timeJZwowowDined on 11/22/2014fun, had a wonderful time and would recommend to allSpecial Features:
- great moments!SammiandfriendsreviewniteDined on 11/20/2014Great place, great service! Everyone is always on point! Servers are knowledgable, and attentive. The manager is warm, and makes us feel like we are home. Food was excellent! The dessert, was mouth watering, melt in your mouth fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red07Red07Dined on 11/15/2014Service was poor. Waited at least 10 minutes for menus and for someone to open our wine. Never received bread until we asked the manager. Was my third time there food was excelant but the poor service was very disappointing.
- disappointing...AllyVIPDined on 11/15/2014went there Saturday night for birthday dinner.... despite having a reservation we had to wait for a table for about 20 minutes! Ordered our food... were waiting almost an hour for a main course to be served! 1 pasta and 1 steak! The excuse from the restaurant hostess was that they had two tables of 10 people and the kitchen is backed up. Medium rare steak was overcooked. It was well done. I didn't send it back because didn't feel like waiting another hour for a chef to redo it. Upon arrival the hostess was notified it's a birthday celebration - it has not been acknowledged at all - no candle, no happy birthday song - NOTHING. Frustrating and disappointing experience. We won't go back.
- Will go back againGerardDined on 11/15/2014Went with my wife and some friends, we all enjoyed our evening. From appetizers to desert to hostess to waiter everything was just great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond in the roughSammiandfriendsreviewniteDined on 11/13/2014Saturday 17th... From the minute we walked in it was a warm greeting! The Manager that happened to greet us (we find out later) was great! She was warm and welcoming! We were seated and welcomed! Service was wonderful! The waitress Lulu was on point with everything! Christina made sure our glasses were never dry, and also gave us some food recommendations. Christina checked on us and all of the surrounding tables. For a busy Saturday night we felt very special. The food was great! The piano was a little louder than we would have liked, but we enjoyed it! I would recommend this place to everyone and have! I noted to my company that I have never seen a manager that took such personal care of guests like they were all VIP, I think that's great! A young lady came by our table told us due to big parties our food might take a while, we had no idea why, because everything was perfect! I would like to thank Christina & Lulu for making the perfect dinning experience! The owner/Chef has magic hands because every bite of the food was fabulous. You can see the craft of fine dining in every aspect of the dining experience at Palazzo's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good-Had the mussels and the salmon specialBackdocVIPDined on 11/13/2014Very good-Had the mussels and the salmon special. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the mussels were plump and fresh. Also the Autumn salad was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palazzo is Quality at HomeCParker674Dined on 11/10/2014Palazzo has a sense of professionalism and comfort that is inviting to the foodie as well as the occasional diner out. The chef researched great food sources and produces excellence from salads to entres to bread pudding. I enjoyed and ostrich steak accompanied by duck and venison sausage flavored with a surprising addition, blueberries. Superb sauce and level of cooking which chef suggests as rare. WonderfulSpecial Features:
- Great meal before the showJoeDDined on 11/10/2014We decided to have dinner at Palazzo before going to a concert at the Wellmont. We received great service from the staff especially from Candy, our server. For starters, I had home made rabbit and veal sausage and my wife had the mushroom soup which was delicious despite not having any cream. For the main course, I had the duck special which was served over risotto with an orange sauce on the side and she had a pork paillard that was a double cut chop that had been butterflied and pounded thin and then grilled. It was served under a salad of greens and tomatoes and was a play on veal Milanese but healthier since it was grilled instead of fried. For dessert we split a mixed berry sorbet that was obviously made in house and was terrific.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014We had a wonderful night at Palazzo's. The staff was very friendly, the food was delicious. We started off with the Balsamic Calamari - when we finished we wanted more. Both the Caesar salad and Rustic salad were refreshing. For dinner my wife had the whole Bronzino and I had the Veal Chop done to perfection. The wine list is limited but we found a nice bottle. When you add in a glass of wine at the bar beforehand, dessert and coffees it is not a cheap dinner but well worth it. We went on a Saturday night so we waited a bit longer between courses but the owner kept on coming over to make sure we were ok and we did not mind the wait as we enjoyed the piano playing. Would highly recommend and can not wait to go back.Special Features:
- Ice bucket challengemomsniteoutDined on 11/1/2014We brought in friends from Madison, and went to Palazzo because of the piano. The food, in general, was very good. However, when the server brought over the ice bucket to our table, the bucket stand fell over dumping ice all over the floor and my husband's leg, soaking his sock and making for a less-than-optimal dining experience for him. He was never asked if he was ok. No apologies were ever made, although the ice was picked up. The service was unbelievably slow. I was told, after I received my entree and had started eating it, that it was worth the wait. My entree was fine, but not more-than-one-hour-wait fine. The entire meal took 3.5 hours!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montclair StaplekandjVIPDined on 10/25/2014Took clients out for a celebratory dinner and the food was reliably very good. Not sure what happened to service at the end. Staff member had birthday event. Waitress disappeared for ten minutes, then brought check, then walked back and forth taking orders, chatting with friends at other tables before 15 minutes later, after having to use hand signals, she brought our card back. Painful.Special Features:
- First DateBLouLoveDined on 10/17/2014It took me a few days to find a great place to take my girlfriend on our first date. I ended up finding this restaurant and saw good reviews on it. I was looking for a romantic place, with classy music, but also live music. There are very few restaurants that take their time to hire a live musician for their restaurant. When we got there from the start one could already tell you were going to have a great night. Everybody was so friendly and welcoming, which surprised me since my date and I are both 18 so I automatically thought before that they might think we were immature to be coming to a restaurant like their's. The night was perfect, food was really good, and my date loved the whole night so overall I would say this place deserves an ASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MelvDined on 10/11/2014This truly was a pleasant experience! They had an elderly gentleman playing classic piano, live! It was a great setting and me and my girlfriend enjoyed it very much. The food was great, and our waiter, Humberto, was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OldtimeroldtimerVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have dined at this restaurant numerous times. The food is always very good (though the menu is limited), and the service is usually very good and professional. This time the service was extremely slow - it took 45 minutes longer than usual for our dinner. Because of our previous experiences, we will return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very good.michaelVIPDined on 9/26/2014Have been here a number of times and the menu/food is diverse and a bit varied. Would like to see more seasonal food varieties with the menu. Overall, we enjoy our meals and will continue to visit.Special Features:
- Disappointing--what has changed?Edw123VIPDined on 9/26/2014This was our latest of multiple visits to Palazzo. Previously, we always loved the food. Somehow, something has changed. The food (all of it, unfortunately) just failed to hit the mark. The appetizers and entrees failed to taste the way they "sounded" on the menu. We will probably try it again but it was sad to be so disappointed by what used to be one of our favorite restaurants.
- great findlocalfoodieDined on 9/26/2014The place is wonderful. Jeff our server was amazing. We had tickets to a show and he was great at helping us keep our time without it feeling rushed. The food was outstanding. Perfection. I had the feal c chop special and it was incredible. My husband had the pumpkin ravioli and my stepson had the ahi tuna. All were amazing. The entire staff were wonderful. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeanieVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food and dining experience including the service were fine until dessert. We decided to skip dessert and coffee because of the extended delay in taking our dessert order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the ShowLankyDined on 9/12/2014We went for an early dinner (before 6) the service was vey good. And, the food was delicious. My husband had the tilapia and said it was great. He even ate the mashed potatoes, which he would never eat at home. I had the pasta bolanese, which was also very good. The desserts were outstanding. Tiramisu and bread pudding. Yes, bread pudding in an Italian restaurant and it was a huge serving ( enough for 2 ). Would definitely go back and highly recommend. Worth every the price.Special Features:
- Good good but service not good.Luv2eat45VIPDined on 9/6/2014Booked reservations and was seated promptly. Our food was very good but the service was awful. The waiter asked if we wanted oil with our bread and never brought it, I had to get up and get my wine to refill our glasses since they were behind us due to the tables being so close together. Rather than ask if we wanted desert the menu was quickly put in front of us. I never experienced that before but know doubt the staff was told to push the desert. Also the air conditioning wasn't working and it was very uncomfortable.
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014This is our family go to restaurant. We always know that the meal and service will be excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointscriticalcriticVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food quality and variety was good. Their Pollo Mattone (chicken under a brick) is great, I have it every time we go there....service is timely and unobtrusive. They have jazz piano on weekends which is a nice touch. It can be a bit crowded, tables are close, but it does not have negative effect on experience.Special Features:
- Love the pianoMarksVIPDined on 8/29/2014Live piano while you dine creates a great atmosphere and the food is good. One of my favorites in Montclair.
- Good, but not greatDanSDined on 8/23/2014In most towns, Palazzo would be a stand out, but given the quality of the competition in Montclair it's not high on my list. Had a great salad but the entree (Veal Palazzo) was a bit tough. Service was good, and the piano on a Sat night is a nice touch.
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Very attractive and a pleasant surprise. The food was on par with previous reviews I had read. My Tuna was excellent, prepared in the manner I enjoy. Other than uncomfortable chairs, I would highly recommend this as a pleasant dinning experience. The hostess couldn't have been nicer and the wait staff pleasant. I would definitely look forward to coming, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stand out in MontclairDK1362Dined on 8/3/2014There are numerous wonderful restaurants in Montclair. Palazzo was recommended by a local resident, so I decided to try on a recent Sunday night with friends. Loved the ambiance, comfortable and relaxed. Food is prepared fresh when you order, so some dishes take a few minutes to arrive at the table. Service was well done and the prices are reasonable given the quality of the food.Special Features:
- When you have itBillVIPDined on 8/2/2014Second time at Palazzo. The service was excellent and most courteous Little debate about the website vs. the price fix deal no problem though. The mussels were ok but small and pricey and not PEI. The salmon was so perfect so congrates! and the risotto was perfect too. The carrot cake as good and fresh as Ivie had. This is top tier rest. that has a nice music piano background.Special Features:
- Awesome LunchFoodieDined on 7/30/2014Awesome lunch! Food was delicious. Service was great! My sandwich was great. Grilled vegetables with goat cheese.Special Features:
- The following 207 reviews are from the Palazzo Restaurant reviews archive.
- gotogeezersDined on 7/16/2014Food and service was excellent. The crispy duck was done just about right, and although I usually dislike the sauces that usually accompany duck because they are too sweet, the sauce was superb. It was perfectly balanced and tasted fresh, bright and citrusy. My husband enjoyed his spicey chicken dish which was flavorful and generus in portion. Wait staff was friendly, professional and attentive, enhancing the whole experience..Special Features:
- CindyVIPDined on 7/5/2014We have been coming to this restaurant for many years. It's always been very good and the extra special thing is that they have a piano player on Saturday nights!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visit was just as nicezebra207Dined on 7/5/2014We had lunch at Palazzo on Saturday, July 5, 2014. This was our second visit to this restaurant, and it was every bit as enjoyable as the first. There were four people in our party, and everyone was completely happy and satisfied with our lunches. Service was efficient and very friendly. I look forward to our next visit here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedRegularsVIPDined on 6/25/2014Palazzo continues to be our favorite Montclair restaurant. Never an off note.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceDinerDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious and service very attentive. The only negative was the noise but the restaurant emptied as the evening went on and the noise abated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodhappydinerDined on 6/14/2014We dine here often - always delicious. Service was off slightly this trip - our waitress seemed a little overwhelmed. Looked like an entire new wait staff, which is too bad since we had been so comfortable with the staff over the last year. Otherwise, still a great local restaurant in Montclair center.Special Features:
- Great for a Special EventRicardoDined on 6/12/2014bCelebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary based only on their website and a recommendation from a reviewer of a disappointed patron of another local restaurant. Would not change anything. Palazzo's has a nice wine list, and our waiter told us next time we could bring our own if we preferred. I'm sure there will be a next time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2014We had a delicious dinner at Palazzo. The service and atmosphere were excellent. There was a pianist playing lovely dinner music which could have been just a little quieter for conversation purposes, but non the less very enjoyable. It was our first time there however we were treated like regular customers. It was my observation that all guests were treated that way. We will certainly be going back.Special Features:
- SimonSaysDined on 5/31/2014Good food, good music and we could even enjoy conversation at the table. We will surely be returning.Special Features:
- Good Italian FareShudainVIPDined on 5/30/2014This was a relatively decent place to dine. They were very good at accommodating and providing a much longer list of menu to choose from since we had dietary restrictions (1 person gluten free and other vegetarian). The wild mushroom risotto was delicious.Special Features: