605 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palacecafe.com/
- Phone: (504) 523-1661
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 'till
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Brandon Muetzal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer a live jazz brunch every Sunday from 10:30am-2:30pm featuring the Joe Simon Trio.
- Special Events: All Private Dining Reservations must be made through our Group Sales Department. Please contact Sales at 504-521-8310 for information.
- Cross Street: Chartres Street
- Public Transit: Easily accessible by the Saint Charles Streetcar & the Canal Street car.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: For parking we offer discounted parking at the Marriott next door, based on availability. If this lot if full, we recommend the following garages, but are unable to offer discounted rates: The Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street, the Wyndham Hotel on Royal Street, and Premium Parking Garage on Iberville Street.
A word from Palace Café
For two decades Palace Cafe has been serving award-winning, contemporary Creole cuisine in the historic Werlein Music building. Located downtown, at the entrance to the French Quarter, this Dickie Brennan restaurant is popular with visitors & locals alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Palace Café - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Palace Café reviews from OpenTable diners
267 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)good for groups (121)special occasion (113)great for lunch (82)great for brunch (66)neighborhood gem (57)romantic (55)hot spot (53)scenic view (40)great for outdoor dining (40)notable wine list (31)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (9)Show More
- Great experiencePBnJDined on 11/22/2014Having our first dinner here as a married couple after we eloped to New Orleans was the perfect choice. We had an excellent table on the second floor overlooking Canal St. Our waiter was knowledgeable and made several appealing recommendations, and the food was superb. We would not have changed a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The noise level at the Palace is extreme.denolaDined on 11/21/2014The staff and cuisine at the Palace show the Brennan family dedication to good food and service. However, they invite street singers in to perform. It's impossible to talk above the noise level they provide as they go from table to table performing for tips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud but food was goodFoodieVIPDined on 11/21/2014Palace Cafe is good if you get a good table and are not bothered by the street singers' singing and clapping. Unfortunately, our table was under the staircase and the street singers were awful. We ordered the barbecue pork shank and the cajun pasta. For dessert, we opted for the bananas foster. Food was delicious, everything else just okay. I would recommend it but go on a quieter night and ask for a booth.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aanrader als je in New Orleans bentDutchRonnieDined on 11/19/2014Op de Rand van the French District gelegen 2 verdieping restaurant met koloniale sfeer en gevarieerde menu kaart. Grandioze bediening, enigszins theatraal, maar ja je bent in de USA. Geen bier van de tap, maar lekkere wijnen. Prachtige plek om met z'n tweeen of een groep een avondje door te brengen. Reserveren, kan via hun website, is wel aan te raden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, medium serviceruntoeatDined on 11/19/2014I dined at the Palace Cafe on 11/19 for lunch. The restaurant is very appealing in a retro style and nicely decorated. I was greeted by two servers, who seemed impressive at first. I ordered the andouille crusted fish (mahi mahi), which was served with seasoned potatoes and broccoli with a creole mustard sauce, and a glass of wine. The server brought a loaf of bread which had good flavor, but was very messy with crumbs everywhere as soon as it was broken. The food came quickly and was very good. I had to remind the server to bring my glass of wine and the other server refilled my iceless water with ice; not a huge deal, but I ordered it without ice. The only other service item to mention was that those bread crumbs remained on the wooden table even after my plates were cleared, which was annoying. I'm not a dessert eater so I passed on the complimentary bread pudding, but thought it was a nice offering. Overall, it was a good meal, but could have been great with slightly better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL Food & ServicehcfsDined on 11/17/2014The food was amazing, the service was great! The restaurant itself has character and is great at accomidating large parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sam & leeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2014The Palace Cafe never disappoints. This trip we dined on crab meat cheesecake, shrimp tchefuncte and rib eye all of which were perfectly prepared. And as always the staff was friendly, helpful and simultaneously low key and efficient. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little too...ToothDined on 11/16/2014The food is just a little too trendy, the portion sizes just a little too big, the noise level just a little too high, the crowd just a little too touristy, but in a pinch it will do and once you are seated the servers give you a nice humane experience that leaves you feeling good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WIsconsinTravelerTooDined on 11/16/2014We were quite pleased that we could get a same day reservation, especially with the Saints and 3 conferences in town. We were there for a birthday celebration. The food was fabulous, I wanted to pick-up the plate and lick it, but the restaurant is too fancy to be that gauche.Special Features:
- Brunch, yes! Jazz, not so much...NCGrlDined on 11/16/2014Have eaten and loved the Palace Cafe since it opened, remember when it was Werlein's music store. Haven't been in town for a few years, met friends who'd never been to NOLA, took them there. Our table ordered oyster loaf, duck/gator gumbo, seafood gumbo, duck and waffles, cochon au lait pot pie, bananas foster. Food still amazing, service ok, but at 1pm, band on break, then played on the landing for about 20 minutes total, one of the musicians sat down to eat with friends around 2:00p. Renovations upstairs have hidden the beautiful architectural details, including the musical-themed cast iron balconies. Now just another good, expensive restaurant, one of many in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch in The Big Easy.OutoftownerDined on 11/16/2014This was one of NO's highlights during our stay in The Big Easy. The food was delicious, the jazz music was perfect and the service was 'right on.' Thank you for a delightful Sunday Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ErikBDined on 11/14/2014The food was great, especially the crab meat cheesecake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy restaurant - rushed serviceXuxaDined on 11/14/2014the noise level was extremely high. table was small even for two average sized people. Service was lacking -" look over you" type of wait staff even though there were plenty of them, Food was lukewarm and felt that the waiter was in such a hurry for us to leave. We did have dessert and it was delicious - crème brulee.
- great food; terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014I was impressed by their flexibility when I wanted to change my reservation at the last minute, for a later time and four, instead of two, people. We had two waiters, both of whom were told that we were going to the theatre and they said that would be no problem and they'd see that we got out on time. Our show started at 8, and by 7:30 our entrees had still not arrived. When the food did show up, we had to scarf it down in order to make the show on time. I was very disappointed that our servers assured us they'd get us out on time, and yet offered no strategy - like skipping appetizers - to help us out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fair, Service averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014If you want real good food go to GW Fins, Muriel. Palace Cafe does not have any outstanding plate. Service is average. Our waiter harrassed us for more tip, totally irrational.
- really good food, love the,ambiancecatwinksDined on 11/13/2014We sat in front of the great big windows, and people watched as we dined. Service was great, food was delicious, just right for our pre- Saenger dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always come for the Bananas Foster...YolieVIPDined on 11/12/2014I have to have my fix of Bananas Foster at a Brennan's restaurant when I'm in NOLA! But, I also leave the Palace Cafe with an overall satisfaction. The andouille crusted fish was perfect and my husband's pork shank was top notch. Always attentive service made this another great visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Orleans traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014I had the Ribeye which was superb. Perfectly prepared and presented and a very high quality cut. My wife had the andouille crusted fish and it was wonderful as well. The bread pudding was the right size and delicious. The service was well attended albeit the pace was as most New Orleans restaurants that is to say, relaxed. My only reason for not giving it 5 stars was the starter. I ordred the pan roasted oysters which sounded amazing. They weren't. The dish was a dissapointment. I was expecting something presented as roasted in their shells with butter and a delecate blend of spice and cheese. The 4 little Oysters disappeared in a mass of powdery substance. Choose another starter and the Palace could give a 5 star experience though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get a window table upstairs!CamelliaDined on 11/11/2014Enjoyed people watching while enjoying a very good meal. Fish dishes were fresh and visually appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palace Cafe - Great ExperienceLivetoeatDined on 11/11/2014Traveled to New Orleans and did not have dinner reservations. Used Open Table to make last minute reservations. Early evening dining. Was not crowded when we arrived, but filled up before we left. Born and raised in New Orleans, so my expectations are a bit high. Palace Cafe exceeded our every expectation. Crab Cheesecake appetizer was incredible. Wine list is very extensive. Save room for dessert. The white chocolate bread pudding is probably the best you will ever have. Cest bon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SolidJonnyNoodlesDined on 11/10/2014I recommend Palace Cafe to locals and visitors alike. I have brought many visitors to Palace Cafe and it never disappoints. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a must-stop location, but you'll find exactly what you're looking for. Quality service and fantastic food. Less notable that other Brennan family restaurants and often overlooked, despite it's Canal Street location. It's often easy to find seats, but don't let that stop you from thinking it's any less quality in service or food than other famous Brennan destinations. It's a little to obvious to be called a "hidden gem", but it's often overlooked. Consider it.Special Features:
- Service and food, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014We waited on a wine menu for about 20 minutes and by time it came they asked us if we were ready to order our food. Food came really fast, not enough time to enjoy ourselves. Food was good, a little overpriced. Ribeye was very fatty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No where better!CaljordDined on 11/9/2014My first visit to Palace Café was at brunch. It was fabulous. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and had a personality to match. Made the visit all the more pleasant. The food was out of this world. Perfect! So good in fact that we made reservations for dinner that evening. It was absolutely the best meal I have ever had. I cannot say enough good things to justify it. I would and will recommend any and all that are looking for a place in New Orleans to dine. Fantastic job!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Horrible service and subpar foodHollyDined on 11/8/2014Our waiter had way too many tables and could not handle them all. We had to ask twice to have our water refilled and my husband literally had to track him down in the restaurant to get out bill. Food was okay. My husband's salad and entree were too salty. We had better dinner at a restaurant out by the airport for 1/3 of the price.
- My experience would be better if. .OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014The service was poor and the experience would have been better if I hadn't felt ignored. The crab cheesecake is an acquired taste and not one I shared. I enjoyed the quartet that circulated the room and unfortunately that was the high light of my visit.Special Features:
- Very dissapointedSad2SeeDined on 11/8/2014In a restaurant filled with staff we received our first courses quickly as if our table were needed. Then a table a seven young ladies were seated and we fell off the radar. Another waiter served our food (not unusual) but our glasses of wine emptied and we were at best an after thought. We did stay to order dessert and watched another table next to us order and have their desserts delivered and cooked table side. We waited. When our waiter came by we mentioned feeling abandoned and he apologized but explained he was working alone. The manager skipped our table as he stopped in the row of our tables (the only one skipped). We did speak to the manager who apologized and promised to have a word with the server. We have been coming for years.
- CajungalDined on 11/8/2014The service was excellent and the waitress made our day. The experience is the first part to count when you feel at ease with great service to enjoy the rest of your meal. Everything we ordered was awesome . Would go back without any doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerCTgrrlDined on 11/7/2014Our group of four enjoyed every bite of food we ordered! The andouille crusted fish (entree) was particularly good. For something different, try the gingerbread manhattan (cocktail). The double chocolate brownie (dessert) was a generous portion of deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turtle Soup!BradCDined on 11/7/2014I dined at the Palace Cafe as a solo diner and sat at an outdoor table. It was in a great place to enjoy the activity of Canal street. I started with the Turtle soup, which was a rich broth and small pieces of snapping turtle meat. Add a loaf of their fresh bread and it could be a meal in itself. I could not resist the blue berry BBQ pork shank, which was fork tender with a great sweet sauce. Be sure to finish the evening with their warm bread pudding, a delight not to be missed! Palace Cafe will always be a stop when I am in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yearly visitTexanDined on 11/6/2014Visit New Orleans at least once a year and have looked forward to dining at the Palace Cafe each time. This was our third visit and the food was excellent as usual. The wait staff was not up to its usual efficient service. Not sure what was going on there. Anyway......the Palace remains a great New Orleans eatery for a casual evening of dining.Special Features:
- Palace Café a must!FoodieDocDined on 11/5/2014This restaurant is special to me. My Great Aunt worked for Mr. Wurlein for many years. the crabmeat cheesecake is something I must have every time I come home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely slow serviceThismancooksDined on 11/5/2014It took 3 hours for our party of 5 to have dinner. We arrived 7pm and left 10pm. That's How long it took AFTER several complaints about the delay of our meals. We we're comp'd dessert but it was just average tasting. The food was served luke warm and seemed as if it was sitting a while before served. The manager blamed the slow service on the kitchen being backed up due to three other large parties. Not a good reason for me. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- JulieYummycrabcheesecakeDined on 11/5/2014Great Dining experience. Great time and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunKathyDined on 11/5/2014Group of 6. Food was good and service great. Gave us a flavor of NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palace Cafe Still GreatrubusDined on 11/5/2014We were seated on time and had a great dinner. The place was crowded but the noise level was low enough that we had no problems conversing. Excellent entres and terrific dessert.Special Features:
- ExcellentNOLAFoodieDined on 11/4/2014My coworker and I went here to celebrate my birthday. We experienced exceptional service. The food recommendations from our waiter were excellent! We would definitely go back for special celebrations!Special Features:
- Losing its flareBR789Dined on 11/2/2014Cocktails were not great. Great food was served cold. The staff tried to fix, but food would have been better served at the proper temperature. Bread pudding was served cold as well. We may have to cross this one off our list.
- Delicious once againPalaceKingDined on 11/2/2014We visit the Palace Cafe everytime we visit New Orleans, which was twice this year alone. The service is really good and the food is excellent. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween Pre-Party Dinnerilovefood1228Dined on 10/31/2014Enjoyed our dinner in costume! Our friends who were not able to join sent over 2 bottles of champagne and our waiter was great at accommodating our group.Special Features:
- Eh, not bad but not greatkaiserDined on 10/31/2014Visiting the city with no prior knowledge about the place made a reservation here and it was fine in a touristy sort of way but nothing special and would not be eager to come back. Staff was pretty good, the cocktail list was sorely lacking- we were told if we didn't like sweet drinks we should order wine. The food was all ok but was a little cool and all was bland. Too many other options to come back.