605 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palacecafe.com/
- Phone: 5045231661x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 'till
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Brandon Muetzal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer a live jazz brunch every Sunday from 10:30am-2:30pm featuring the Joe Simon Trio.
- Special Events: All Private Dining Reservations must be made through our Group Sales Department. Please contact Sales at 504-521-8310 for information.
- Cross Street: Chartres Street
- Public Transit: Easily accessible by the Saint Charles Streetcar & the Canal Street car.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: For parking we offer discounted parking at the Marriott next door, based on availability. If this lot if full, we recommend the following garages, but are unable to offer discounted rates: The Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street, the Wyndham Hotel on Royal Street, and Premium Parking Garage on Iberville Street.
A word from Palace Café
For two decades Palace Cafe has been serving award-winning, contemporary Creole cuisine in the historic Werlein Music building. Located downtown, at the entrance to the French Quarter, this Dickie Brennan restaurant is popular with visitors & locals alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Palace Café - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Palace Café reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)good for groups (92)special occasion (90)great for lunch (74)great for brunch (57)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (43)hot spot (37)scenic view (35)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Whenever I visit New Orleans the Palace Cafe is always on my list of places to eat. My grandson is a second year medical student at Tulane and this was our opening night dinner. Great food, grat service and reasonable pricing. When you are staying down town very easy to find. Have had lunch in the past and that was as enjoyable. Had colleagues from Spain and they were very impressed with the food and service. This is truly a hidden gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinnerAgiolacDined on 10/18/2014We came to the Palace Cafe to celebrate our anniversary. The dining area is lovely! The staircase and the large dining area is grand. We ordered cocktails and appetizers from two very knowledgable servers. The drinks were delicious! They have a gluten free menu!! My husband ordered the oyster trio dish and I ordered a shrimp with mushrooms dish. Both were very good however my husband really enjoyed my dish and wanted to order one for himself but he was already so full! We ended the evening with the banana foster for dessert, which was prepared in front of us by our server. We definitly enjoyed our dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Service was poor but the food was excellent. We never got a food waiter. Our order was taken by the drink person who didn't know the specials. The couple next to us walked out because service was taking so long. I guess we were lucking to get the drink person taking our order. The place is much larger than I imagined. Not my kind of restaurant. Plenty of very good restaurants in New Orleans that offer excellent food, better service and much better atmosphere. Go if you must say you went to the Palace Café. Check out Irene's in the French Quarter.Special Features:
- As Advertisedhigs4nrgDined on 10/16/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening, a view from the front window and a busy collection of New Orleans entertaining nightlife made the people-watching fun. We enjoyed both seafood and chicken entrees as fine as we might have hoped. The crowd keeps the volume up but the clients are far from too loud. We will do this again someday.Special Features:
- good quality foodsshelleyDined on 10/14/2014Solid meals, lovely drinks, service was excellent. Seasonal extra's to menu were delicious. great bread. All of the wait staff were helpful and attentiveSpecial Features:
- consistentVonnVIPDined on 10/13/2014no visit to NOLA is complete without a visit to Palace Cafe. I can always count on excellent service and food. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Almost perfectlovenolafoodDined on 10/11/2014Crabmeat cheesecake was divine, sis had the ribs and best ever, hubby had stuffed mirlitons, good but not knock your socks off. I had ribeye and shrimp. Steak was overcooked. Should've gotten the andouille crusted fish - it's incredible. Original Bananas Foster for dessert can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dining venueHoosiergalsDined on 10/11/2014Palace cafe was perfect for celebrating girls weekend and a birthday. Excellent service catering to our special requests and needs. Food was superb--'best that we had in NOLA. Great location on edge of French QuarterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and great serviceRthreeDined on 10/11/2014Palace Cafe appears to be a forgotten gem right on Canal Street. Great Food and Great Service. You will not be disappointed by dining here.Special Features:
- One of my favorites...lsutigersDined on 10/10/2014Love Palace Cafe! We make it a point to eat here at least once on every trip to New Orleans. It is a quintessential New Orleans experience!Special Features:
- FunfoodDined on 10/9/2014Great dining experience. Service and food was excellent!!! The atmosphere was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Awesome food great chef!SallyDined on 10/9/2014Great dining experience! Creative menu everything was great can't wait to come back to New Orleans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedDisappointedDinerDined on 10/8/2014Other reviews talked about friendly servers and Anerican food. Our wait staff was condescending and rushed through our questions about the menu. The American food is not typical but with a fancy foodie twist. Menu is limited and pricey. The meals we got were tasty but the overall experience diminished by waiters that couldn't be bothered with being nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal with a viewSearchingforyumDined on 10/5/2014Had a wonderful table upstairs with view of the street below...great spot for people watching. Food was great. I had the signature shrimp dish....wonderful. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the edges of my white chocolate bread pudding were burnt. You could see they were blackened so I'm not sure why it was even delivered to my table. The non burned parts were yummy, though.Special Features:
- Terrific food, great service 5 StarFoodloverDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant wins hands down over others in New Orleans for the variety of the dishes, friendly, unpretentious service and value for money. Eaten at all the "best" restaurants in this city renowned for amazing food, but The Palace continues to stand out for me! I think if you only have a few nights in New Orleans, make sure that you dine here at least once, well worth it. I think it's the most innovative menu you will find! Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewPsychodocDined on 10/3/2014I arranged for a party of 10 during a recent business trip, with a reservation for 8:30 Friday night, but we had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated. It then took a very long time to get our drink orders filled and to have our food orders taken (over 30 minutes). The wait for our food was also very long. Two of my party were vegetarian-this restaurant only has one option for vegetarians-and one had food allergies. Our server seemed annoyed about it, or at least my colleagues thought she was annoyed. I had really looked forward to the evening and was disappointed with the long waits, the noise, and the staff's attitude. This was my second visit to this restaurant. I would recommend it-the food is good-but be careful about when you go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and VibrantNativesDined on 10/3/2014The decor was spot-on and the view of Canal St. was so amazing with all of the night life. We witnessed a second line of a wedding party promenadig down canal st.. Witnessed a warm greeting of someone's birthday by a quartet. Had and excellent dinner with friends from Florida. And we all had a great experience. We will be a frequent couple at this venue soon. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable dinnerRamblinRoseDined on 10/2/2014The Palace Cafe' was recommended by a local resident. Three of us dined on a weeknight and the restaurant was lively. The service was attentive and prompt and the meals - from starters to desserts - were flavorful and well presented. The only complaints were on the pork shank (the outside meat was a bit tough, but the inside meat was melt-in-your-mouth) and the risotto with shrimp was more broth-like than creamy. All in all, it was a good dining experience in a comfortable and modern atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Had a very enjoyable meal with a business colleague. Our waiter was very helpful and attentive. The food was very good and the wine selction was great.Special Features:
- Active resto on Canal St.BobPDined on 9/28/2014This was my first time at Palace Café. It struck me as a good place you can bring a large group looking for traditional New Orleans cuisine. The food was good, but not overly memorable. I have been dining in more exclusive places in New Orleans for the past 10 years or so, therefore I was not as impressed as a first time visitor to New Orleans would be. The wine list offers something for every taste and the service was very good from our head waiter but less so from the support staff. The noise level is high in the restaurant, if you are looking for a locale for intimate conversation this is not the place.Special Features:
- What a great eveningValleysGirlDined on 9/27/2014Booked the Palace Cafe purely because it is close to our Hotel, but what a lovely experience we had there. From the time we entered, we received great service. We had a table upstairs, which was lovely. Each table had plenty of room. However, best of all was the food. The stuffed peach starter was delicious and the fillet steak main was cooked to perfection and tasted awesome. This was by far the best meal we have had during our stay in New Orleans and will definitely be going back. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- slippingDom1207Dined on 9/27/2014used to be our favorite place. seems like the kitchen is changing a bit. appetizers took a while, then came out lukewarm. the amount of food provided as sides was much less than usual. seemed like they were skimping a bit and the kitchen was not on its best game, as we have come to expect.Special Features:
- Lovely, as always!RaineVIPDined on 9/27/2014The staff at The Palace Café are always lovely! It was my birthday this time and they were even more gracious! Always a safe bet!Special Features:
- Suzb50OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I have eaten at Palace Cafe several times now. Each time the food has been delicious and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableAnonymousDined on 9/26/2014Everything from start to finish was very good. Nice ambiance, very good service, and delicious food. What we most looked forward to was the Bananas Foster, which is prepared at this restaurant tableside. We were not at all disappointed. What a fun and super delicious dessert to complete an overall very memorable dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the trio singers have got to goWeLiveToEatVIPDined on 9/25/2014Everything was fine - until - the three gentlemen who sing "In the Jungle" 5 times an hour came to our table.
- Best for the moneyRemyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Love this Canal street staple...Great people watching as you enjoy lovely cuisine and ambiance! Prices are affordable and the food divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was not.BaileyDined on 9/21/2014We were disappointed with our visit because of the service. Everything was brought to us slow and or missed completely. They apologized continually but at some point it would have been nice to see things improved. It never did. They offered to comp us desserts but by then we just wanted to get out. We felt ignored. We seemed to have two waiters but between the two they couldn't get it right for us. I would probably give it a try again when we are back in New Orleans because the food was good and it is a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Friendly Service!julieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have dined at Palace Café many times over the years. It never fails to deliver great food and service. Fast, friendly and energetic servers add to the joy of dining there. The food is tops too! Try the crab claws bordelaise, best appetizer in the city in my bookSpecial Features:
- Great way to start the weekendCrosby68Dined on 9/19/2014Completed the online reservation and got exactly what was requested with the upstairs table by the window. The service was outstanding and the food was delicious. It was my wife's first time and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything was great from the BBQ shrimp appetizer to the Banana's Foster for desert prepared right there at the table.Special Features:
- Excellent local flavorMotordanDined on 9/16/2014Food was excellent and had a great local taste. Service was also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch before flyingFoodlatinloverVIPDined on 9/15/2014They didn't have the peach appetizer :(. We eat this on Friday night and it was excellent! Lunch felt too harried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!MississippiDinerDined on 9/13/2014Outstanding dining experience! We were celebrating my birthday. The food, service and atmosphere were second to none! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If Perfection Could Be Improved!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Thank you for making another lasting memory for my wife and I.Special Features:
- Bad wait staffGrandeDined on 9/13/2014We have visited The Palace Café for the last 20 years. The staff, and food has always been excellent. This time was different. They took drink order and the 5 minutes later returned for food order , we asked for drinks to be served before we ordered....I had a peach app. that was wonderful but my main course ( I always order the same one) a pecan fish dish was so spiced that I could not eat it, they took it back and offered me a bowl of gumbo... We were charged for both dishes.. The coffee for 1 never came, but we were charged. There were 4 in our party. NO one seemed to care or respond for another bread for our table. It was the only bad meal in our 4 day trip in NOLA.. restaurant, it is off my must go list!!!
- Palace Cafe New Orleans ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014It had been at least 10 years since I last dined at the Palace Cafe. The location on Canal Street is central and great for people watching out the very large windows. The interior is spacious with cathedral ceilings and a circular staircase up to the second level which I believe they use mostly for large groups. My dining companion and I dined early on a recent week night after completing a trade show. We were tired from a long week and wanted to relax. The food was very good. My only critique was that the waiter rushed. He may have though he was being efficient but the service seemed very hurried. But I would still recommend the Palace Cafe for great seafood, including the Andouille Crusted White Fish, oysters and soft shell crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canal Street Busy SpotNOHoneymoonersDined on 9/9/2014Service and food were outstanding. However, the restaurant is very noisy and crowded (which is probably good for the Dickie Brennan family). But not so relaxing for a quiet night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flexibility and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We came in with a group of 10, after making reservations for two smaller groups, and the staff quickly accommodated us. The food and service were great! Joy M.Special Features:
- TraditonalPQuizDined on 9/8/2014I was stating in a hotel close by and enjoyed dinner at Palace Café twice. Both times the food, drinks and service were very good.Special Features:
- Really, really good!!LLCCDined on 9/8/2014Good, delishous food..southern cooking w/elegance.. Highly recommend bananas foster!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.