605 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palacecafe.com/
- Phone: 5045231661x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 'till
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Brandon Muetzal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer a live jazz brunch every Sunday from 10:30am-2:30pm featuring the Joe Simon Trio.
- Special Events: All Private Dining Reservations must be made through our Group Sales Department. Please contact Sales at 504-521-8310 for information.
- Cross Street: Chartres Street
- Public Transit: Easily accessible by the Saint Charles Streetcar & the Canal Street car.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: For parking we offer discounted parking at the Marriott next door, based on availability. If this lot if full, we recommend the following garages, but are unable to offer discounted rates: The Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street, the Wyndham Hotel on Royal Street, and Premium Parking Garage on Iberville Street.
A word from Palace Café
For two decades Palace Cafe has been serving award-winning, contemporary Creole cuisine in the historic Werlein Music building. Located downtown, at the entrance to the French Quarter, this Dickie Brennan restaurant is popular with visitors & locals alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Palace Café - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Palace Café reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)special occasion (84)good for groups (76)great for lunch (74)great for brunch (64)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (42)scenic view (37)hot spot (34)great for outdoor dining (21)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Outstanding dining experience! We were celebrating my birthday. The food, service and atmosphere were second to none! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If Perfection Could Be Improved!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Thank you for making another lasting memory for my wife and I.Special Features:
- Bad wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We have visited The Palace Café for the last 20 years. The staff, and food has always been excellent. This time was different. They took drink order and the 5 minutes later returned for food order , we asked for drinks to be served before we ordered....I had a peach app. that was wonderful but my main course ( I always order the same one) a pecan fish dish was so spiced that I could not eat it, they took it back and offered me a bowl of gumbo... We were charged for both dishes.. The coffee for 1 never came, but we were charged. There were 4 in our party. NO one seemed to care or respond for another bread for our table. It was the only bad meal in our 4 day trip in NOLA.. restaurant, it is off my must go list!!!
- Palace Cafe New Orleans ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014It had been at least 10 years since I last dined at the Palace Cafe. The location on Canal Street is central and great for people watching out the very large windows. The interior is spacious with cathedral ceilings and a circular staircase up to the second level which I believe they use mostly for large groups. My dining companion and I dined early on a recent week night after completing a trade show. We were tired from a long week and wanted to relax. The food was very good. My only critique was that the waiter rushed. He may have though he was being efficient but the service seemed very hurried. But I would still recommend the Palace Cafe for great seafood, including the Andouille Crusted White Fish, oysters and soft shell crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canal Street Busy SpotNOHoneymoonersDined on 9/9/2014Service and food were outstanding. However, the restaurant is very noisy and crowded (which is probably good for the Dickie Brennan family). But not so relaxing for a quiet night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flexibility and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We came in with a group of 10, after making reservations for two smaller groups, and the staff quickly accommodated us. The food and service were great! Joy M.Special Features:
- TraditonalPQuizDined on 9/8/2014I was stating in a hotel close by and enjoyed dinner at Palace Café twice. Both times the food, drinks and service were very good.Special Features:
- Really, really good!!LLCCDined on 9/8/2014Good, delishous food..southern cooking w/elegance.. Highly recommend bananas foster!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/8/2014Whenever I go to the Palace Cafe, the service is always consistant. They work in teams and someone is always available to assist and/or explain. However, the blue cheese salad was drenched in dressing, to the point of having more dressing than salad. And, I ordered the Fish Panzanela entree from the glueten free menu and it was served with bread croutons. My guest ordered the crab leg appetizer from the gluten free menu and it was served with a piece of bread in the dish. The kitchen and servers need to communicate if they have the same items on the regular menu as the gluten free menu. Although it is "fashionable" these days to order meals without gluten, in my case, I am allergic.Special Features:
- Decent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014It's more cafe than I was expecting, was hoping for a but more intimate setting, the seafood cheesecake is really that good, dessert was very good also, steak and shrimp was ok, about 30-50 per personSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicWIfoodie27Dined on 9/6/2014Went for lunch with my husband after finishing up a conference. Building and interior was beautiful--loved the staircase to the 2nd floor! Were seated quickly (had a reservation) and had 2 awesome waiters (can't remember their names, sorry!). Very attentive, friendly, quick with drink refills, etc. Started with the turtle soup and the duck & roasted garlic gumbo. Both were amazing!! For entrees, my husband had the cafe cobb salad with shrimp and I had the cochon du lait pot pie. Both of those were delicious as well! The pot pie was like nothing I've had before; so glad I decided to give it a try! We were both very glad we decided to give this classic restaurant a try. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eating in New Orleanssenior4supperDined on 9/5/2014The food was very good, it was a little too much noise for me. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Great for food and people watchingAZGalDined on 9/4/2014The Palace Cafe did not disappoint. Great food and with big windows and an outdoor patio on Canal street, it allows diners a great view of street goers. The lump crab and fried oysters were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Bachelorette BrunchfoodgirlDined on 8/31/2014The atmosphere was amazing with a three piece band playing softly on the beautiful spiral staircase. Their build your own mimosa and bloody mary bar was unique and fun. The food was delicious and presented very beautifully. We were served by a two man team and I will have to say the one that got drinks and desert was fabulous, but the guy who took our meal order was uninterested and very blah. It took him a while to bring us our checks and then put them all together without asking. If you see four females eating brunch you automatically assume the checks will be separate. Other than that this place was perfect. They even fixed bananas foster tableside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- njoyfoodnjoyfoodVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is one of our most favorite places to eat. The food is always great, and the wait staff is professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAlexDined on 8/30/2014I ordered the catfish pecan and it was the best fish I've ever had. Absolutely delicious. We had a large group (9) and everyone was quite happy with their food. Large wine list, lots of food options, and a very knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesRedBarchettaDined on 8/29/2014As a local, I always have Palace Cafe on my list of recommended restaurants. The food is excellent, and is a great example of our true New Orleans dishes. They always use the freshest local ingredients. My standard recommendation is the bbq shrimp appetizer, turtle soup, andouille crusted fish, and white chocolate bread pudding for desert. But you can't go wrong with anything on the menu.Special Features:
- luvthatrestaurantDined on 8/29/2014Great restaurant in all areas. One of the best restaurants I've ever attended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodgeauxsaintsDined on 8/24/2014I love Palace Cafe. The food is wonderful, the ambiance is wonderful and to top it off it's gluten-free friendly. When I asked about gluten-free options, I was given an extensive menu that provided many delicious options. Not only that but the server was wonderful and attentive to my special dietary needs. One complaint that I have from our dining experience was service was a tad bit slow. Our appetizers were served while we still had our entree menus on the table. We also had completely finished our appetizers and waited about 15 minutes before our entree orders were taken. Everyone enjoyed the dessert, particularly the white chocolate bread pudding and the table-side bananas foster. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!UnimpressedDined on 8/23/2014Andrew and Zachary were great! The food was delicious and we had a great girls' night dinner. The food and drinks made it to the table quickly, but we did not feel rushed at all. It was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinerMacirishDined on 8/23/2014Our first visit to NOLA and w enjoyed the Palace Cafe very much. The wait staff team was excellent as were the meals. You will not be disappointed !Special Features:
- Great NOLA Food SpotVS2015Dined on 8/23/2014Palace Cafe is located near all the main downtown NOLA attractions. Great food and good service.Special Features:
- Palace Cafe disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014The waiters were polite, however, were not well informed about the menu. One wait person was a trainer and the other being trained. The table was set for two and there were three of us. Two of the entrees were as we would expect. Delicious.The third was very disappointing. The hamburger was nearly charred, bread and bacon burned while the fries were cold. We had to ask for the remoulade that was to come with this dish. The bill was electronically presented at the table with a 20% tip already added. We were told we could add or subtract as the waiter stood within view. We have been to Palace Cafe many times and this was not what we expected. Unfortunately we brought an out of town guest. It was not a good impression!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.HeatherDare22Dined on 8/20/2014It's definitely not the same caliber as other Brennan's restaurants. The food felt like it was pre-packaged, but the price was right. The wine and spirits list was nothing to write home about by any means. But it was convenient for people around Canal who want a quick sit-down meal.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014There's only one word to describe the good food and service at this local gem, and that's AwesomeSpecial Features:
- Always great!KHanebuttVIPDined on 8/13/2014We love Palace a Cafe in NOLA! The food and especially the service is ALWAYS perfect. my favorite things to get are the crabmeat cheesecake, the oyster loaf and the ginger rosemary drink! Yummy! Always have to go to this fab place while in NOLA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Brunch ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Food was quite good -- service ruined brunch. Disappointed by visit this Sunday -- poor service -- requests for silverware, water refills, bread/butter, the check were routinely ignored. Waitress and other staff simply walked by and would not stop. Made multiple requests to no avail.
- Eric's 50th Birthday_IISamandEveDined on 8/9/2014The ambiance from the second floor overlooking Canal Street is amazing, but the culinary distinction is truly a step above. The service from the wait-staff is wonderful and engaging, and the cocktails are sure to please. A great all-around venue, and a dining experience well-worth the time to checkout their atmosphere, cuisine and courteous and friendly service staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!NOLAFoodieDined on 8/8/2014The food was amazing. Great service and nice atmosphere!Special Features:
- Place is a PleasurebobgDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I have dined at the Place several times. This was our first luncheon. It was just as expected, no surprises, excellent service, delicious meal. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014Our two waiters were excellent! Great dining experience........good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jus OKlivingtodineDined on 8/6/2014We had been to Palace Cafe before and actually enjoyed the food better then; could have just been our fish choices that were not the best. Being from South Louisiana, and enjoying the luxury of sports fishing, we are very picky about our fish. The location was great for our Saenger night out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014I had not been at the Palace Cafe for a while, and was more impressed than ever. The food was outstanding.Special Features:
- NewOrleansNYFoodieDined on 8/4/2014Open table lists Palace Cafe as serving lunch for coolinary week, but when we arrived we were abruptly told by the manager, Chris, they only participate in Coolinary for dinner. I proceeded to let him know Palace Cafe is listed as participating for lunch, and even more abruptly he told us, "Well! We'll have to call them and change that." The gumbo was old and had been overheated. The shrimp and oysters in it were very tough, and the flavor was near burnt. The three salads we ordered were fine.Special Features:
- Unimpressive ServiceCajunchic3Dined on 8/3/2014Our service was disappointing to say the least. Three in our party ordered soup and had to request spoons only to be given coffee spoons. Our wait staff was not the most attentive. Food was delicious as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!OutoftownerDined on 8/2/2014Delish! I had the andouille crusted fish. I couldn't finish the meal :( (I tried!!!) and the whole table was fighting over who got to finish my dish! We started with the seafood cheesecake and almost slapped the busser when he tried to remove the small piece that was left! Sevice was great, however it did take a little long for our bottle of wine to be deliver but we didn't care! Definitely would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!CajunChefRyanDined on 8/2/2014Palace Cafe has always been one of our favorite restaurants in New Orleans. And they still hold the same quality of food and service every time we frequent the dining room.Special Features:
- Thank youPfectionDined on 8/1/2014My wife, son and I couldn't be any happier on the way the staff took care of us. The food was outstanding, but the service we spot on at all times. We would definitely come back.Special Features:
- mediocrehousecatDined on 7/27/2014While the building itself still packs the same punch when it was Werleins the food was a little out of tune! Passable fare but not really up to what I recall as a memorable"Brennans" brunch.
- Always A PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Love the Palace: don't get their enough. Great staff, excellent food, what more can I say?Special Features: