605 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palacecafe.com/
- Phone: 5045231661x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 'till
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Brandon Muetzal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer a live jazz brunch every Sunday from 10:30am-2:30pm featuring the Joe Simon Trio.
- Special Events: All Private Dining Reservations must be made through our Group Sales Department. Please contact Sales at 504-521-8310 for information.
- Cross Street: Chartres Street
- Public Transit: Easily accessible by the Saint Charles Streetcar & the Canal Street car.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: For parking we offer discounted parking at the Marriott next door, based on availability. If this lot if full, we recommend the following garages, but are unable to offer discounted rates: The Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street, the Wyndham Hotel on Royal Street, and Premium Parking Garage on Iberville Street.
A word from Palace Café
For two decades Palace Cafe has been serving award-winning, contemporary Creole cuisine in the historic Werlein Music building. Located downtown, at the entrance to the French Quarter, this Dickie Brennan restaurant is popular with visitors & locals alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Palace Café - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Palace Café reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (83)good for groups (83)great for lunch (80)great for brunch (61)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (40)hot spot (34)scenic view (31)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- What a great eveningValleysGirlDined on 9/27/2014Booked the Palace Cafe purely because it is close to our Hotel, but what a lovely experience we had there. From the time we entered, we received great service. We had a table upstairs, which was lovely. Each table had plenty of room. However, best of all was the food. The stuffed peach starter was delicious and the fillet steak main was cooked to perfection and tasted awesome. This was by far the best meal we have had during our stay in New Orleans and will definitely be going back. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- slippingDom1207Dined on 9/27/2014used to be our favorite place. seems like the kitchen is changing a bit. appetizers took a while, then came out lukewarm. the amount of food provided as sides was much less than usual. seemed like they were skimping a bit and the kitchen was not on its best game, as we have come to expect.Special Features:
- Lovely, as always!RaineVIPDined on 9/27/2014The staff at The Palace Café are always lovely! It was my birthday this time and they were even more gracious! Always a safe bet!Special Features:
- Suzb50OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I have eaten at Palace Cafe several times now. Each time the food has been delicious and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableAnonymousDined on 9/26/2014Everything from start to finish was very good. Nice ambiance, very good service, and delicious food. What we most looked forward to was the Bananas Foster, which is prepared at this restaurant tableside. We were not at all disappointed. What a fun and super delicious dessert to complete an overall very memorable dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was not.BaileyDined on 9/21/2014We were disappointed with our visit because of the service. Everything was brought to us slow and or missed completely. They apologized continually but at some point it would have been nice to see things improved. It never did. They offered to comp us desserts but by then we just wanted to get out. We felt ignored. We seemed to have two waiters but between the two they couldn't get it right for us. I would probably give it a try again when we are back in New Orleans because the food was good and it is a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Friendly Service!julieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have dined at Palace Café many times over the years. It never fails to deliver great food and service. Fast, friendly and energetic servers add to the joy of dining there. The food is tops too! Try the crab claws bordelaise, best appetizer in the city in my bookSpecial Features:
- Great way to start the weekendCrosby68Dined on 9/19/2014Completed the online reservation and got exactly what was requested with the upstairs table by the window. The service was outstanding and the food was delicious. It was my wife's first time and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything was great from the BBQ shrimp appetizer to the Banana's Foster for desert prepared right there at the table.Special Features:
- Excellent local flavorMotordanDined on 9/16/2014Food was excellent and had a great local taste. Service was also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch before flyingFoodlatinloverVIPDined on 9/15/2014They didn't have the peach appetizer :(. We eat this on Friday night and it was excellent! Lunch felt too harried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!MississippiDinerDined on 9/13/2014Outstanding dining experience! We were celebrating my birthday. The food, service and atmosphere were second to none! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If Perfection Could Be Improved!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Thank you for making another lasting memory for my wife and I.Special Features:
- Bad wait staffGrandeDined on 9/13/2014We have visited The Palace Café for the last 20 years. The staff, and food has always been excellent. This time was different. They took drink order and the 5 minutes later returned for food order , we asked for drinks to be served before we ordered....I had a peach app. that was wonderful but my main course ( I always order the same one) a pecan fish dish was so spiced that I could not eat it, they took it back and offered me a bowl of gumbo... We were charged for both dishes.. The coffee for 1 never came, but we were charged. There were 4 in our party. NO one seemed to care or respond for another bread for our table. It was the only bad meal in our 4 day trip in NOLA.. restaurant, it is off my must go list!!!
- Palace Cafe New Orleans ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014It had been at least 10 years since I last dined at the Palace Cafe. The location on Canal Street is central and great for people watching out the very large windows. The interior is spacious with cathedral ceilings and a circular staircase up to the second level which I believe they use mostly for large groups. My dining companion and I dined early on a recent week night after completing a trade show. We were tired from a long week and wanted to relax. The food was very good. My only critique was that the waiter rushed. He may have though he was being efficient but the service seemed very hurried. But I would still recommend the Palace Cafe for great seafood, including the Andouille Crusted White Fish, oysters and soft shell crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canal Street Busy SpotNOHoneymoonersDined on 9/9/2014Service and food were outstanding. However, the restaurant is very noisy and crowded (which is probably good for the Dickie Brennan family). But not so relaxing for a quiet night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flexibility and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We came in with a group of 10, after making reservations for two smaller groups, and the staff quickly accommodated us. The food and service were great! Joy M.Special Features:
- TraditonalPQuizDined on 9/8/2014I was stating in a hotel close by and enjoyed dinner at Palace Café twice. Both times the food, drinks and service were very good.Special Features:
- Really, really good!!LLCCDined on 9/8/2014Good, delishous food..southern cooking w/elegance.. Highly recommend bananas foster!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/8/2014Whenever I go to the Palace Cafe, the service is always consistant. They work in teams and someone is always available to assist and/or explain. However, the blue cheese salad was drenched in dressing, to the point of having more dressing than salad. And, I ordered the Fish Panzanela entree from the glueten free menu and it was served with bread croutons. My guest ordered the crab leg appetizer from the gluten free menu and it was served with a piece of bread in the dish. The kitchen and servers need to communicate if they have the same items on the regular menu as the gluten free menu. Although it is "fashionable" these days to order meals without gluten, in my case, I am allergic.Special Features:
- Decent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014It's more cafe than I was expecting, was hoping for a but more intimate setting, the seafood cheesecake is really that good, dessert was very good also, steak and shrimp was ok, about 30-50 per personSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicWIfoodie27Dined on 9/6/2014Went for lunch with my husband after finishing up a conference. Building and interior was beautiful--loved the staircase to the 2nd floor! Were seated quickly (had a reservation) and had 2 awesome waiters (can't remember their names, sorry!). Very attentive, friendly, quick with drink refills, etc. Started with the turtle soup and the duck & roasted garlic gumbo. Both were amazing!! For entrees, my husband had the cafe cobb salad with shrimp and I had the cochon du lait pot pie. Both of those were delicious as well! The pot pie was like nothing I've had before; so glad I decided to give it a try! We were both very glad we decided to give this classic restaurant a try. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eating in New Orleanssenior4supperDined on 9/5/2014The food was very good, it was a little too much noise for me. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Great for food and people watchingAZGalDined on 9/4/2014The Palace Cafe did not disappoint. Great food and with big windows and an outdoor patio on Canal street, it allows diners a great view of street goers. The lump crab and fried oysters were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Bachelorette BrunchfoodgirlDined on 8/31/2014The atmosphere was amazing with a three piece band playing softly on the beautiful spiral staircase. Their build your own mimosa and bloody mary bar was unique and fun. The food was delicious and presented very beautifully. We were served by a two man team and I will have to say the one that got drinks and desert was fabulous, but the guy who took our meal order was uninterested and very blah. It took him a while to bring us our checks and then put them all together without asking. If you see four females eating brunch you automatically assume the checks will be separate. Other than that this place was perfect. They even fixed bananas foster tableside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- njoyfoodnjoyfoodVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is one of our most favorite places to eat. The food is always great, and the wait staff is professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAlexDined on 8/30/2014I ordered the catfish pecan and it was the best fish I've ever had. Absolutely delicious. We had a large group (9) and everyone was quite happy with their food. Large wine list, lots of food options, and a very knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesRedBarchettaDined on 8/29/2014As a local, I always have Palace Cafe on my list of recommended restaurants. The food is excellent, and is a great example of our true New Orleans dishes. They always use the freshest local ingredients. My standard recommendation is the bbq shrimp appetizer, turtle soup, andouille crusted fish, and white chocolate bread pudding for desert. But you can't go wrong with anything on the menu.Special Features:
- luvthatrestaurantDined on 8/29/2014Great restaurant in all areas. One of the best restaurants I've ever attended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodgeauxsaintsDined on 8/24/2014I love Palace Cafe. The food is wonderful, the ambiance is wonderful and to top it off it's gluten-free friendly. When I asked about gluten-free options, I was given an extensive menu that provided many delicious options. Not only that but the server was wonderful and attentive to my special dietary needs. One complaint that I have from our dining experience was service was a tad bit slow. Our appetizers were served while we still had our entree menus on the table. We also had completely finished our appetizers and waited about 15 minutes before our entree orders were taken. Everyone enjoyed the dessert, particularly the white chocolate bread pudding and the table-side bananas foster. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!UnimpressedDined on 8/23/2014Andrew and Zachary were great! The food was delicious and we had a great girls' night dinner. The food and drinks made it to the table quickly, but we did not feel rushed at all. It was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinerMacirishDined on 8/23/2014Our first visit to NOLA and w enjoyed the Palace Cafe very much. The wait staff team was excellent as were the meals. You will not be disappointed !Special Features:
- Great NOLA Food SpotVS2015Dined on 8/23/2014Palace Cafe is located near all the main downtown NOLA attractions. Great food and good service.Special Features:
- Palace Cafe disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014The waiters were polite, however, were not well informed about the menu. One wait person was a trainer and the other being trained. The table was set for two and there were three of us. Two of the entrees were as we would expect. Delicious.The third was very disappointing. The hamburger was nearly charred, bread and bacon burned while the fries were cold. We had to ask for the remoulade that was to come with this dish. The bill was electronically presented at the table with a 20% tip already added. We were told we could add or subtract as the waiter stood within view. We have been to Palace Cafe many times and this was not what we expected. Unfortunately we brought an out of town guest. It was not a good impression!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.HeatherDare22Dined on 8/20/2014It's definitely not the same caliber as other Brennan's restaurants. The food felt like it was pre-packaged, but the price was right. The wine and spirits list was nothing to write home about by any means. But it was convenient for people around Canal who want a quick sit-down meal.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014There's only one word to describe the good food and service at this local gem, and that's AwesomeSpecial Features:
- OK, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Surprisingly limited menu. Prices too much for what you got. Service somewhat lacking. My daughter's chicken was WAAAAAAAAY overcooked. Waiter did not check in on us enough. Wanted to sit upstairs, but couldn't because it was inexplicably closed. The turtle soup was very good. My wife's gumbo was disappointing. The other entrees were good. In summary, the overall dining experience just wasn't worth the high cost of the meal. I doubt we'll be back.Special Features:
- Always great!KHanebuttVIPDined on 8/13/2014We love Palace a Cafe in NOLA! The food and especially the service is ALWAYS perfect. my favorite things to get are the crabmeat cheesecake, the oyster loaf and the ginger rosemary drink! Yummy! Always have to go to this fab place while in NOLA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Brunch ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Food was quite good -- service ruined brunch. Disappointed by visit this Sunday -- poor service -- requests for silverware, water refills, bread/butter, the check were routinely ignored. Waitress and other staff simply walked by and would not stop. Made multiple requests to no avail.
- Eric's 50th Birthday_IISamandEveDined on 8/9/2014The ambiance from the second floor overlooking Canal Street is amazing, but the culinary distinction is truly a step above. The service from the wait-staff is wonderful and engaging, and the cocktails are sure to please. A great all-around venue, and a dining experience well-worth the time to checkout their atmosphere, cuisine and courteous and friendly service staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!NOLAFoodieDined on 8/8/2014The food was amazing. Great service and nice atmosphere!Special Features: