Palace at the Ben
834 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Palace at the Ben
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thepalaceattheben.com/
- Phone: 2672325600
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 3:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Subhash Sarpal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Pritam Khanna 2672325600
- Entertainment: At the Palace at the Ben, customers are welcomed to enjoy fine drink and snack at the restaurants two luxurious lounges. The lobby and restaurant lounges feature full bars and serve a vast selection of specialty cocktails, unique wines, and genuine Indian beers. The premier lobby lounge features low seating in rich burgundy and gold striped fabrics, candlelit gold-accented tables, and garnishes deeply rooted in Indian tradition. Palace at the Ben hosts Happy Hour specials, Monday thru Friday, 4:30 PM to 7 PM.
- Cross Street: 9th & Chestnut St.
- Public Transit: Regional trains (R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, R8) stop two blocks away at the Market East Station located at 11th & Market Street. All below listed buses stop in front of the restaurant: 9, 17, 21, 33, 38, 42, 44, 47, and 61. The New Jersey High Speed PATCO Line station is located in less than a block away at 9th & Locust Streets.
- Parking: Valet
A word from Palace at the Ben
When you think if India, it conjures images of royalty & legendary hospitality. Inspired by the architecture & ambiance of the royal courts of India, you can now immerse yourself in the comfort of rich Indian culture & tradition where you will you relish the finest cuisine developed by the renowned Master Chef Subhash Sarpal. Indulge yourself at the Palace at the Ben and we promise you NIRVANA! Palace at the Ben offers a wide selection of Indian haute cuisine made from the finest & freshest ingredients. Our menu is a welcome change from the ordinary... Not only to the palate, but a healthful alternative as wellContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Palace at the Ben reviews from OpenTable diners
- Really great food, and gaveldoughDined on 5/11/2013Really great food, and gave great suggestions to members of the group who were not familiar with Indian foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came here for a very earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2013We came here for a very early dinner so the place was empty. The cashemere chicken was to die for! The place is looking a bit run down and could use some attention, but the food was really outstanding. I felt like I was in India. Prices are fair and worth it!Special Features:
- Wonderful Indian MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2013I'm from out of town and went with the many great reviews. What I found is they were spot on! Food (butter chicken, which goes by another name on the menu) was filled with taste and a good portion was served. Tables had tablecloths and seating and ambience had an upscale look and feel. I will be back the next time I travel to Philly! Note: no beer or wine, but I really didn't mind after receiving my meal. Also, the Naan was delicious.Special Features:
- The Palace at the ben is aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2013The Palace at the ben is a really nice restaurant with good tasting food. I've gone here several times and have never had a bad experience. The only complaint I have is that the service was a bit slow. Upon being seated, it took about 10 minutes to receive our drinks and another 15 mins after that to get our appetizer. This wouldn't be a big deal if the place was packed out but with only five tables being catered to. the service should have been much faster. Overall, this is a nice place with tasty indian cuisine and we will most certainly be back.backsSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed the buffet lunchSilverQueenVIPDined on 4/4/2013We enjoyed the buffet lunch which included a variety of tasty dishes. The place is cheerful, bright, and elegant. The staff is helpful, courteous, and attentive. I would definitely return to this restaurant and recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- My reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2013Home style food , great ambience and bring your own drinks .... What more can one ask for !!!Special Features:
- A great variety of well executedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2013A great variety of well executed dishes. Attentive and friendly staff. I took my 5 year old son and 10 year old niece on a mission to introduce them to Indian cuisine. They both enjoyed everything and wanted to go back again the next day. I've enjoyed lunch at Palace at the Ben for years, dinner exceeded all my expectations.Special Features:
- I can never understand whyRudyMassDined on 3/9/2013I can never understand why this wonderful spot is always half empty. Maybe because it does not serve liquor, maybe because it's a bit away from the CC hotels, maybe because the service (while attentive) is not especially warm and friendly. But do note...this is some of the best Indian food I've ever had. It's delicious, fragrant, portion-appropriate, and creative. Book a table here without hesitation.Special Features:
- The food here was simply amazing.FoodLoverTaiDined on 3/8/2013The food here was simply amazing. The service was great. My party got there an hour later them my reservation and they accommodated us with no hesitation. I would definitely go here again.Special Features:
- This place was highway robbery.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013This place was highway robbery. High prices for not great food. They don't have many traditional dishes either. Put cilantro on everything and don't ask if you like it first. I would never go here again!
- Ambience was not too goOdOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Ambience was not too goOd . Food was less than consumable .Special Features:
- We go to the Palace frequently,FoodluverVIPDined on 2/5/2013We go to the Palace frequently, but were disappointed this time. They are no longer serving alcoholic beverages. Service was exceptional, as it always has been, but the quality of the food had slipped a little. Specifically, the lamb seemed a bit old and some pieces were tough. Everything else was just as good as always, and we're hoping this was just a temporary setback. We are happy to BYOB, but hope to be able to look forward to the excellent foods we have come to expect at the Palace.
- Disappointed that they closedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2013Disappointed that they closed their bar- I used to love their cocktails. Felt like a place that was on the verge of going out of business.
- Food was great. I highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2013Food was great. I highly recommend the mango d'fango for dessert.Special Features:
- Wonderful homey feelOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013Delicious food and great service. I felt like a guest in someone's home. We asked for a moderate amount of spiciness, anticipating that the Indian food might have been too spicy. I personally could have done with more spiciness, as the medium spice seemed mild to me. Next time I won't ask them to hold back!Special Features:
- Excellent food, service andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2013Excellent food, service and setting. If you like Indian cuisine, this is the place to go. If you don't like Indian cuisine, this is still the place to go! Food was amazing. The Na'an was out of this world, so fresh.Special Features:
- The Palace at the Ben no longerPegB13Dined on 1/24/2013The Palace at the Ben no longer has a liquor license. We did not know this, so the server gave us a complimentary glass of wine. The food (Indian) was very good and plentiful. Go hungry, and don't be bashful about telling the waiter how spicy you want your food (and take his recommendation regarding how spicy you want it).
- The food was outstanding -OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/31/2012The food was outstanding - some of the best Indian food I've had. The service was, however, lackluster, from the moment I walked in the door and no receptionist in sight. I attribute the slowness to the fact that I was dining solo - couples and groups around me got much better attention.Special Features:
- Still very good but not as great...MmmmGoodVIPDined on 12/8/2012This gourmet Indian once rated 5-stars, but has slipped greatly on last 3 visits. It's a family run place and the expertly prepared Indian food is made with care. However, portions are getting skimpier (our Navratan Korma -- a seven vegetable dish had virtually no vegetables in a bowl of sauce (albeit delicious sauce) The lamb had very few pieces of lamb, even the raita had very little actual yogurt(it was watery and had some kind of filler pasta or bean in it -- we did not want an added starch in our yogurt side dish). Since two in our party were here for the first time, and it was a special night out for all of us, we wanted a perfect meal (as we've had in the past here) but, while very good, it was greatly diminished from the past.Special Features:
- Entrees were good, but vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2012Entrees were good, but vegetarian choices are limited. Every Indian restaurant I have been to provides complimentary papad before dinner, but here i was charged for the papad...$2 for 3 pieces of papad, that too stale papad...felt like it was from 3 days ago.Special Features:
- What happened to food hospitality?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012We love Indian food and I guess we are spoiled by a little Indian restaurant in NYC, called Wallenskys at 3rd and 49th, where every time we go, the table is filled with bread, the food is a palette of delight and color, and the waiters are attentive. The Palace of Ben was just plain bland. Although the bread was delicious and the food was tastey, the presentation of the food and the overall service were really lacking (boring). The overall hospitality we come to expect in Indian restaurants wasn't there, neither were their offerings of tastings and artful presentations. Expensive menu, nice ambiance but something was missing in that Indian flair we've come to expect!
- Palace at the Ben gets highOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/4/2012Palace at the Ben gets high points for the following: location, dining room (spacious and quiet), and very prompt, respectful servers. Here's where Palace at the Ben doesn't rate quite so high: the quality of the food relative to its price. Of the two dishes my dining companion and I tried, one was moderately good. The other, palak paneer, was bland and pretty terrible. And a high end Indian restaurant that can't hit a homerun with an easy and popular dish like that doesn't warrant a return trip in my book. Other diners that proclaimed this as THE BEST INDIAN FOOD they've ever had clearly have not eaten much Indian. I've had more than my fair share. This was was barely middle of the pack.
- Went with a group for a holidayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Went with a group for a holiday lunch. Ambiance was very nice, buffet style with a very good selection, and reasonably priced. Would go again for sure.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian food in aGinoDined on 11/25/2012Excellent Indian food in a spacious restaurant. We went after a theater matinee and it was a great complement to the day. Finally a quier restaurant were i can hear my wife talking without straining. And the food was good. Many of the usuak indian dishesbut also some unusual ones. A great discovery. Will definitely go back .
- Give your review a title (optional)BillJVIPDined on 11/22/2012This is a beautiful and very comfortable restaurant. The food selections are very well done, but what seems lacking is any sense of adventure here. The entire menu is standard north Indian. Of course, with that being said, the selections we had were prepared perfectly and wonderfully. What would have raised this review to 5 stars would have been some more creative options. We will definitely go back, and I might just ask for some things not on the menu and see how they could accommodate me.Special Features:
- Best Indian food in CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/16/2012Best Indian food in Center City...but three times as pricey
- I've eaten here numerous timesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2012I've eaten here numerous times on week nights. The service is prompt and helpful. We had some of the lamb and chicken dishes were were very delicious. We had a larger group of people attending, and it worked out very well.Special Features:
- Excellant Traditional indianOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/10/2012Excellant Traditional indian cusine . Fresh preparation , with quality Ingredients. I will go back. This is the only elegant india. Restaurant in philly.
- Everyone was so friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2012Everyone was so friendly and the food as well as the service was excellent! I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Over priced. Poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2012Over priced. Poor service. Average food, especially for the price.
- Good food but felt weird becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2012Good food but felt weird because we were the only people at a large restaurant.
- palace at the benOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012very nice atmosphere. the food was excellent. first time having indian food. you know it is good quality food when majority of people in the restaurant were indianSpecial Features:
- I took my fiancée here forletsgoflyersVIPDined on 10/7/2012I took my fiancée here for her birthday this past Sunday around 5:30. This was during Phila restaurant week. When we arrived there was only one other group there, so we were a bit worried. It was a bit earlier and other people arrived not much later, but it was still very quite with very nice decor and dim lit ambiance. Our server was very attentive and the food was delicious. I had the lamb roganjosh and my fiancée had the cashmere chicken; both were tender and flavorful (spicy was definitely hot and medium had a nice kick but was manageable). The cocktails were strong, and soups, chutney, naan, and the deserts were great. I would definitely go back, and restaurant week was great for trying a variety of the fare offered.Special Features:
- Got to try Palace at the BenSteveDined on 10/5/2012Got to try Palace at the Ben during restaurant week. What a find. The food was amazing! Would have given 5 stars for the service, except the restaurant was a bit busy and our waiter couldn't spend enough time at our table explaining the different dishes. Our party was new to Indian food, so we required a little more help. Still, would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Fabulous food and delightfullyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2012Fabulous food and delightfully quiet enough to have a conversation! Serene dining room and excellent service.
- Palace at the Ben is one ofFoodluverVIPDined on 10/2/2012Palace at the Ben is one of our favorite restaurants.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2012Servers were attentive, and food was fresh, aromatic and full of flavor.Special Features:
- My first restaurant in PhillyAnndreaDined on 9/1/2012My first restaurant in Philly and it was very good. I was not 100% fond of the drinks but you would want to go there for the food. The samosas were crispy and delicious. The butter chicken was also fabulous as well as the tandoori chicken.Special Features:
- My husband and I were theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012My husband and I were the only people in the restaurant- which was a little weird. The food was good and it was romantic... as if we had reserved the entire place for ourselves!!
- The reservation process wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2012The reservation process was smooth and we were seated promptly. It was a weeknight so the restaurant wasn't too busy, so it was nice and quiet for our group. The service was good as well, attentive to the table, and the food was delicious.Special Features: