198 Allen Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.palapizza.com/
- Phone: 2126147252
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gigio Palazzo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for large parties and private events for up to 60 people
- Special Events: **NEW**
GLUTEN FREE and VEGAN Menu options available
A word from Pala
Voted "Best Pizza" by Daily News readers. Pizza is taken seriously at this Lower East Side pizza restaurant. Chef/Owner Gigio Palazzo creates oblong Roman pies made with your choice of an ORGANIC MULTIGRAIN Crust or GLUTEN FREE crust. Palá is known for fresh, innovative pies such as "Zucca" pumpkin puree, pancetta and smoked scamorza cheese and "Bufala Cruda" oven melted cherry tomatoes, fresh buffalo mozzarella and whole basil leaves. Pizzas are served on long wooden "Pala's" or pizza peels and are excellent for sharing in groups. In addition to pizzas, Palazzo serves up homemade specialties like "arancini" and "fiori di zucca" not to mention an impressive list of salads, pastas and desserts. GLUTEN FREE and VEGAN menus available. Wine, beer and a full bar top off the experience at Palá.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pala reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (12)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)special occasion (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- The perfect pizza placeandycali6Dined on 9/13/2014Loved everything about this restaurant. Excellent service and food. Highly recommended:The vegan chocolate cake(I am not even a vegetarian, much less a vegan, but this cake is to die for!)Special Features:
- Hostile HostessPalaDined on 9/12/2014The hostess on 9/12/14 looked miserable and was extremely rude to us. The bartender was a sweetheart and was warm, knowledgeable about the menu, and attentive.Special Features:
- vegan or omnivore gemMJKODined on 8/29/2014My wife and I are vegan and we were going out with 4 non-vegans. We found Pala on Yelp and decided to give it a try. Wow! Everyone loved their food whether there was meat and cheese or not. Vegan pizza was terrific and the pasta was pretty good too. The other folks loved their non-vegan pizza and pasta as well. Drinks were good and our vegan desert was good too. Pala does it right because they care about both sides of the menu. Great spot. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best gluten-free pizza in NYCBGGBDined on 8/26/2014We love Pala because they make great regular crust pizza for me and amazing gluten-free pizza for my wife. They make it from scratch and it is amazing.Special Features:
- Great for Specialty DietsYummiliciousDined on 8/9/2014Some friends and I were looking for a place that would be good for those who really didn't eat meat, would be healthy and ideally located. WE all like Italian and how can you really go wrong with pizza, pasta and salad? The bartender was really personable and knowledgeable. The menu had vegan, gluten free, veggie friendly and meat dishes for those inclined. If I was with any big eaters they might have been disappointed but the food was beautifully prepared and the service was friendly.Special Features:
- Food decent but service rushedKat423Dined on 8/8/2014Came for the vegan menu which looked fantastic. We started with the mushrooms, then ordered the uvetta pizza and the penne. All were delicious, no complaints, but still nothing special, especially for the price and service. Our waitress was overly perky, but in an extremely phony manner. She spoke to us in a very brusque fashion, as though it was the Great Famine and more important people needed our table. The noise of the restaurant was also extremely loud, I felt like I was eating at a rock show. Overall, the food was good, but not worth the price, especially when coupled with the lackluster service and horrible ambient acoustics.Special Features:
- luscious pastacharlesbaudelaireDined on 8/1/2014wonderful bolognese to die for, great eggplant quinoa, and the gluten free carrot cake of the goddesses...YUM YUM YUM!!!!Special Features:
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014food was SO tasty + our server was knowledgeable about the gluten free optionsSpecial Features:
- still going strongshevaDined on 8/1/2014i've been to pala over the years and it's still a solid place that guarantees great food and service. i'm gluten free + vegan and they easily cover both while making the food delicious. definitely recommend going here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC FavoriteCeliyakDined on 7/27/2014I eat at Pala every time I visit NYC. Their gluten free pizza is the best I've ever found. If you have celiac disease or NCGS, you can trust Pala to serve you a delicious--and safe--meal. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- NYCFoodieDined on 7/25/2014The food was good --two of our guests particularly enjoyed the vegan menu --but the service was markedly poor.Special Features:
- Recent dinnerglutenfreediningDined on 7/18/2014We went to Pala because of the gluten free options available so I would recommend Pala for anyone seeking gluten-free options. Despite a near-empty restaurant, the service was rushed. Be careful if you ask for recommendations, the pizza is a generous portion and we were told it was a "personal" pizza. We should have ordered just one and then ordered another if we were still hungry. That being said, the pizza was delicious!
- best vegan pizza2fatvegansDined on 7/16/2014This was the most out standing pizza that I have eaten as a vegan. Delicious crust and faux sausage! Crazy good! So much so, we had to order another one! Brilliant atmosphere and superb service. Awesome awesome awesome! Oh! The truffle oil potato chips are not to miss too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmeliaDined on 7/12/2014The food was very good, particularily the eggplant vegan pizza. Excellent. Very nice and friendly waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date night loveingBrooklynFoodieDined on 7/11/2014My boyfriend and I love going to Pala for date night when we are in the mood for something a bit low key. The service is great and the food is amazing. Incredible pizza and so unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Gluten FreeseanDined on 7/4/2014Had a couple gluten free pizzas and they were just fantastic. I'd put them up against regular crust any day. Apple tart dessert (also gluten free) was amazing, the tart crust was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PizzaTifKimicataDined on 6/27/2014I made a reservation for 10 people to celebrate my husband's birthday, and everyone was really excited. I received two phone calls confirming my reservation - one in the morning and one in the evening, closer to the reservation time. I called back after the first call, and I spoke with someone who had no idea what he was talking about, which is why they called me again - because no notes or confirmation was written down. Once I finally got to the restaurant, the hostess was rude to my party emphasizing all of the other reservations. It made us feel unimportant. They rushed us all night with less than good service. The seating arrangement was odd with us all bunched towards the end of the table.Special Features:
- BEST gluten-free dairy-free pizza!DruBDined on 6/27/2014Gluten-free pizza can already be tricky, but dairy free too? That's hard enough at home. But out at restaurants? That's basically an impossibility in my world. It usually has soy-based vegan cheese. But this place uses Daiya. When I got the pizza, I was in a foodie heaven!!! Tasted perfect with my hard cider. I haven't had pizza this good since I've gone GF-DF years ago (GF 7 years ago and DF 3 years ago). I'm definitely going back whenever I'm in NYC!!!Special Features:
- The following 511 reviews are from the Pala reviews archive.
- Allergy FriendlyStephDined on 6/25/2014Pala was sensitive to food allergies (I am nut-free) as well as Gluten-Free and Vegan. It was an amazing place to get together with a group with many dietary restrictions! The most important part was that the food was delicious!Special Features:
- Fantastic PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/10/2014Went to dinner with a client this week who is GF. I was fairly skeptical about the pizza and it was FABULOUS! We sampled three pies in the meat section and one special. All of them had great flavor and everything was so fresh. Also had the risotto balls and chips for an appetizer which were very tasty. Also recommend the Limonata cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best GF restaurant in ManhattanPrincess7VIPDined on 6/9/2014I love that Pala's offers GF and Non-GF options. Making the dining experience lovely and delicious for everyone. Food, crowd, atmosphere, service all divine! Highly recommend Palas.....one of our favorites in Manhattan.Special Features:
- Okay ExperienceLove2EatDined on 6/1/2014Average pizza, but nice location. Trendy decor. Our waiter was kind of absent, had to wait 10 minutes before he greeted us, luckily another waiter saw it and stepped in, 1 start for him. The place is very trendy and cool ambiance but the food is average at most.Special Features:
- Best Gluten Free RestaurantMariannDined on 5/31/2014My Friend has a very bad gluten intolerance and she's very limited in choices when she's eating out in a restaurant. I know about Pala for quite a wile, and I came here with my GF friend for dinner. We were amazed by the GF/vegan options. The food tasted absolutely amazing and we had a wonderful time. I recommend this place even if you don't have any food allergies: they will prepare your dish for you in the "normal way" then.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood pizza spot!CeliyakDined on 5/26/2014My family eats here as often as possible. The gluten-free pizzas are amazing. Be sure to make a reservation, or you may be standing in line. Even so, it's worth the wait!Special Features:
- amazing gluten free pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/26/2014Awesome every time! The dairy free gluten free is the best pizza we've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable first experience.vc225Dined on 5/23/2014Met friends for a quick dinner. Excellent pizza, fresh ingredients and a great wine selection, although they were out if my favorites. Will go back if I'm on the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placebundtcakeDined on 5/21/2014The food is yummy and accommodated those in my group that have gluten free diets. The potato chips with truffle oil are amazing! The staff was also great since we had a kid with us and he can sometimes be a handful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, not chummyKdubsDined on 5/21/2014This place was very tasty and perfect for groups with mixed diets(meat eaters, vegans and celiacs unite!). The personal pizza is a little small for the price and only shareable if you aren't starving. Also, the waitress we had was condescending and impatient. (She got very huffy about my mother asking for black coffee and insisted that they only had Anericano. Alright, lady, we get it, you're wildly more sophisticated than everyone because you work at a pseudo Italian restaurant). If gratuity hadn't been automatically included, we'd have thought very carefully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free & allergy friendly WOW!AussieTexanDined on 5/18/2014We visit Pala every time we come into New York. It has something for everyone and everything is absolutely delicious. It's a cool restaurant and the staff are friendly. They are GREAT with gluten free. They tell you what is in their flour mix, and they also have several different types of gluten free pasta, so if you can't tolerate corn, there's a rice pasta option. The pizzas are great - we've tried nearly every one and love them all. Gluten free pizzas come on a specially marked board which is really reassuring for the celiacs in the family. They also have an extensive menu for vegetarian and vegan. Everyone gets to eat deliciously here - nobody has to feel deprived of anything ... it's a real treat. Love, love, love Pala!Special Features:
- Great food, includes gluten freeBrooklynFoodieDined on 5/17/2014Spouse is gluten free. They have many options that actually taste good with gluten free products (pasta/pizza) etc. Some items on menudo not allow substitutions, be sure to check menu before going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best gluten free food ever!jaiframseyDined on 5/17/2014my gf has celiac and I do not so I always try to find tasty places places that she can eat at and I can enjoy as well. Pala's food is amazing and better than gluten-full food! Very friendly staff and worth going to over and over again!Special Features:
- KarsammyDined on 5/16/2014Food was amazing and one person in our group has an allergy to dairy, there is a whole menu with dinner choices that are dairy free and delicious too! The waitress was attentive and friendly. Everyone in my group loved their meal and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Best vegan pizza!kaitDined on 5/10/2014Pala's vegan pizza is absolutely amazing. I went with a group of non-vegans and everyone loved it. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A Very Happy Birthday, IndeedMichaelDined on 5/9/2014When celebrating my niece's birthday, we were on the hunt for a great restaurant that could accommodate severe gluten and diary allergies. It was such a joy to have my niece get to pick almost anything she wanted off the menu. Ordering can often be a tough situation when you're 11 and have allergies, but PALA was the perfect place for her. The staff was lovely, the restaurant was quiet and intimate with a very cool aesthetic, and the entire evening was an absolute joy. At the end of the meal they brought out two desserts for the two birthdays being celebrated, on the house. We left feeling like we had found the perfect restaurant for the perfect birthday. We would definitely recommend Pala to anyone who enjoys food and will be coming back!Special Features:
- Good And good !!!LoloDined on 5/8/2014I love PALA. One of my favorite spot un NYC. Amazones pizza, fresh ingrédients, high quality food in a beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Gluten Free PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/3/2014Their whole pizza menu is available gluten free, and it actually tastes like real pizza. The staff is accommodating and friendly. I've been twice already and will likely go again.Special Features:
- DeliciousHappydinerDined on 5/2/2014Both the good and the service were spectacular. We were late for our reservation, but the host accommodated us by sitting us at the bar. It was comfortable to sit there, and the bar tender was delightful. The food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overprice and average food.Luv2eatoutDined on 5/2/2014The food was average and very overpriced. Portions were small. I will not be going back to this restaurant.
- Great pizza for vegansOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/26/2014They do daiya cheese on pizza the best in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Desapointing and overpricedRamiroDined on 4/16/2014There is nothing especial about the food. If you have to eat there go for the pizzas.