PAIRINGS palate + plate
10 Walnut Ave
Cranford, NJ 07016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
PAIRINGS palate + plate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pairingscranford.com/
- Phone: 9082764026x
- Hours of Operation:
PAIRINGS is a causal fine dining experience and BYOW.(We'll uncork and pour the first glass...)
Wednesday Night: Four Course Prix Fixe Menu 5:30 to 9:00 pm
(courses: appetizer + handmade pasta + main + dessert)
Thursday Night: Tapas Thursday + Regular Dinner Menu 5.30pm to 10:00 pm
Fri 5.30pm to 11:00 pm
Sat 5.30pm to 11.00 pm RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED
Sun 5.00pm to 9.00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carol Murphy Clyne
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: PAIRINGS palate+plate offers on-site private (25 to 100) and semi-private (8 to 15) party dining.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Murphy Clyne, executive chef/owner 9082764026x
- Entertainment: Stay updated on our menu, events & cookbook launch party by following us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pairingscranford.
We also offer onsite private parties for up to 100 people, customized cooking classes & corporate team building events.
Bring Your Own Wine (BYOW)
- Special Events: Join us Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday Nights to enjoy our daily amuse-bouche, intermezzo palate cleanser and a finale of a sweet treat from the chef, complimentary.
Wednesday Night Four Course Tasting Menu http://www.pairingscranford.com/files/prix_fix_dinner_menu.pdf
- Cross Street: For GPS use 10 Walnut Ave - Corner of South Ave East and Walnut Ave.
- Public Transit: NJ Transit: Bus and Train (Raritan Valley Line) RR Station in Cranford town center across the street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: 300 space parking deck steps away, free after 6pm and all day on Sun.
To go to the parking deck, after you turn under the railroad underpass onto N Union Ave, make a quick right turn into the parking garage. Come out of the garage, the same side you drove in, and walk down the lane directly ahead of you (behind the Cranford Hotel.) We are immediately on your right at the end of the lane.
There is also lots of street parking, free after 6 pm and all day Sun.
A word from PAIRINGS palate + plate
PAIRINGS brings together globally inspired cooking, local and sustainable practices and the comfort of grandma's recipes. All of our breads and pastas, all of our stocks and sauces, all of our desserts and ice creams are made from scratch here in our Cranford kitchen. Our plates, which change based on seasonal availability, extend from gourmet to comfort. Each ingredient is strategically paired to intrigue and invigorate, to stimulate and satisfy: sweet with savory, crunchy with creamy, spicy with tangy. Just-baked breads and desserts, freshly rolled pastas, slowly braised meats, à la minute sautéed seafood and ice creams churned daily, leave no palate untingled.Continued
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
PAIRINGS palate + plate - Best Restaurants in Cranford ›
PAIRINGS palate + plate reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (86)romantic (72)neighborhood gem (71)good for groups (34)great for outdoor dining (15)hot spot (14)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Excellent!MamaBDined on 9/27/2014Excellent restaurant, the food is delicious. I love the way they put different flavors together. I found myself trying things that I normally would never try. The service was impeccable. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Pairings needs attitute adjustmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014The food is great - delicious and lots of choices. But, the portions, especially the appetizers are small and the prices are very high. The men in our party both said their entrees were too small. Also, I asked for a substitute vegetable and was offered a choice. But, when the bill came, we were charged for this! And, the waiter did not have the power to take it off the bill. He brought over the manager, who was became obnoxious and we had to push to have the charge removed. What happened to the customer is always right? Did I mention how high the prices are? We shared 2 appetizers for 4 people and each of us had a main course. No dessert, no soft drinks, no coffee. It was about $120/couple. Too much of a Manhattan attitude for Cranford.Special Features:
- A New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014What initially caught my eye with PAIRINGS palate + plate was the menu and ingredients when looking for a restaurant in the area online. It certainly lived up to the expectations. Dishes were executed very well with both presentation and taste. It provides a very pleasant ambiance to dine in and our service was solid. A new favorite for us. We are looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A food gem in Crandford.KenbobsrDined on 9/19/2014How nice to be greeted at the door by the host. The hostess knew who we were making you feel special (I guessing from our reservation through OpenTable). We were seated in a section of the restaurant that was quieter - which suited us well. Our server was very friendly. The room got a bit warm/stuffy but then the air conditioning came on. While a little pricey, the food was very good - fresh. Would definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- You have to try itNjbenzboyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Amazing food. First time there and definitely not my last!Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This restaurant has outstanding food! The dishes are prepared with good ingredients and these change according to the season. Dishes are inventive with respect to pairing tastes, and the presentation is beautiful. Additionally the service is charming, knowledgable and attentive to your every need without hovering over the table.Special Features:
- We love itLinda1616Dined on 9/11/2014From the service to the food this place is outstanding. We have been to Pairings many times and we are NEVER disappointed. They go the extra mile with everything from soup to dessert. We just happened to tell them we were there to celebrate my nieces birthday and out came her dessert with a happy birthday candle and writing along with our 25th wedding anniversary congrats. We recommend this place HIGHLY!Special Features:
- Please GoBobRDined on 8/27/2014If you have the chance be sure to visit. The food is wonderful, service very attentive, consistently good. We have been here a number of times and they do not disappoint. We went for the second time to the Price Fixed menu and every course was excellent.Special Features:
- great girls night outmonaDined on 8/27/2014we went on wednesday and had the pre-fixed dinner. the food was excellent, portions were great, and ambiance was amazing. our waitress was average (she might have been new), but the manager kept coming up to us and checking on us. it was an excellent night out:)Special Features:
- chocoDined on 8/24/2014This was our 4th time at Pairings and it will certainly be our last.. We have visited this restaurant in the past as a "special occasion" restaurant because it is not inexpensive. We were very disappointed this last time.. We had reservations on Sunday evening at 6:45.. When we arrived, there was some type of "kids" pasta cooking class going on in the front of the restaurant so we were seated in the back in a small table in the corner, very very claustrophobic... We ordered salad as an appetizer and had to send it back because the salad was "black and wilted." They brought another salad (peach) which was OK.. We ordered entrees.. mediocre." Not a wonderful dining experience for a restaurant of any price but certainly not at these prices.
- Consistently excellentSilbs954Dined on 8/23/2014Vince & Carol have the perfect formular. Kudos to both. Another fine meal and enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- ProfessionalJackGDined on 8/23/2014We have dined at parings on numerous occasions. If I want a restaurant were I am assured excellent service and a memorable meal this is the one which never let's me down.Special Features:
- outstanding all aroundyumyumDined on 8/20/2014Had our 20th anniversary at Pairings. Brought our teenage children. Awesome night. Food was great. Service was so attentive.Special Features:
- Family celibrationopinionDined on 8/15/2014Great food and service at this upscale bring your own restaurant. They went the extra mile to make my daughters' 17th birthday special by printing a personal birthday wish on our menus. Apps,main course and desert were all first class and delicious. great local restaurant without a pretentious attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurant all aroundthefoodcomesfirstDined on 8/13/2014Our first time at Pairings. Great food, great setting in Cranford, great service. We had the "Wednesday prix fixe" dinner and enjoyed it all. The biscuits and rolls alone were practically enough (quality, not quantity)! Read the menu online, and BYOB that'll fit, it made for a terrific evening for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathleenDined on 8/13/2014Very chic. Like a bit of Manhattan sophistication in a suburban downtown. Owners and staff are genuinely friendly but not hovering and the food is outstanding. The dishes use very fresh seasonal ingredients and they add litle touches and tastings to enahnce your experience. A really wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014for our first time at PAIRINGS, the food, staff and ambiance was amazing! The quality of the food was outstanding! Will definitely be going back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Great service, wonderful food. BYOB as well, which is an added bonus.Special Features:
- LovetodineDined on 8/8/2014Excellent food, had trouble deciding what to order because there were so many dishes we wanted to taste! Had a lovely time, we stayed very long talking with our friends and they never rushed us or made us feel like we stayed too long..incredible atmosphere! We will be back!Special Features:
- Palate PleasingMaryHVIPDined on 8/8/2014I booked a baby shower for my daughter in law in September but my daughter had never eaten there. So we went for Dinner on Friday night; a refreshing palate of flavors in the salad and dressing and then onto the steak entree. It was perfectly cooked; a rarity these days and to our exact level of medium rare. We actually finished it because each bite was so delicious. We enjoyed coffee and blueberry cobbler with ice cream for dessert. We sat down with Carol during dessert to discuss the shower setup and menu and everything is all set. A beautiful restaurant, with only our party for the baby shower and a delicious, seasonal menu to go with it. Carol is gracious and helped us to make some delicious decisions. Bon Appetit !Special Features:
- Trying a New PlaceTrishGDined on 8/8/2014We normally celebrate special occasions at the same resturant. For our Anniversary this year we decided to give Pairings a try. Right from the start it was nice, I love the decor. It is rare that we make it through a full meal, appetizer through to dessert, but this time we wanted to try everything. The tuna tartar appetizer was amazing, our dinners were spectacular and the desserts were a great finish to a wonderful dinning experience. In addition to the food, the wait-staff was very helpful and polite. I even let out waiter pick which dessert I should try, he chose wisely! We will return again!Special Features:
- Special EveningAdeodatusDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food, reasonably priced, bring your own wine, attentive service, not noisy. Always a good evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDiningoutDined on 8/2/2014An all around excellent experience at Pairings, some of the best food in New Jersey. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Always amazing w/wonderful hosts.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Clyne and Murphy continue to amaze. The menu is designed to appeal to the senses...love the amuse-bouche! Amazing tuna with wasabi hummus! Delectable crab cakes. never disappoints.Special Features:
- Overall excellent, but...FoodiewannabeDined on 8/1/2014Since the menu is printed daily and no specials need to be recited by the wait staff, I suggest asking diners if they are interested in hearing the waiter's favorites....if we cared to know, we would ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousWineNdineDined on 7/31/2014I absolutely loved the new additions added onto the tapas menu. The muscles were to die for. The sauce was perfectly made, each muscle was coated the right amount, and the bread served with the dish was so delicious. Service was delightful and very attentive. Will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!CelesteVIPDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I took our married son and daughter-in-law there for their birthday's. Food was excellent. My son is allergic to certain foods, and the waiter was so helpful. A wonderful place to dine. 5 stars!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great food & PriceBobRDined on 7/30/2014WE had the 4 course Price Fixed menu on this evening. The food was wonderful. Each course was better than the next. Only drawback was that there were only a few selections without adding a supplemental fee. Even with that this is a definite go back to restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentJerseyGirl227VIPDined on 7/27/2014The entire dining experience was wonderful. Friendly, knowledgable and professional staff; serving delicous food. Four people, two courses each and everything was delicous.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014The staff was thoughtful and attentive! The food is always delicious and wonderfully prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014The food was fantastic! The service was great! Highly recommend for Wednesday price fixed menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014consistently outstanding; we have dinner there about every 6 weeks or so and it never disappoints.Special Features:
- A Neighborhood Gem!Love2DineDined on 7/23/2014I love this restaurant! It is apparent that the experience should mimic a lovely dining experience in one's home. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming while the decor is tasteful, just lovely and the food is quite good. I particularly liked the divers scallops appetizer and the eggplant entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmgoodDined on 7/20/2014We sat in these luxurious banquets. Very intimate. No noise. Service has been excellent all three times I've visited. It is great that it is open Sundays. I would love to try brunch there. Food is excellent. I had a delicious salad. My companions was even better with figs and goodies. I had delicious halibut and huge scallops on a risotto that was the best I ve ever had.. Not too soupy. Bring your own wine. It is too elegant a dinner not to have wine!Special Features:
- high standardkjdmdVIPDined on 7/19/2014This relatively new and ambitious restaurant in downtown Cranford has become one of the consistently best in the area. The appetizers and main courses are creative without tipping over into silliness. The service is attentive, although sometimes to a fault. I can highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A bit dissapointedEatingOurWayThroughVIPDined on 7/19/2014The hype was big. Our foodie friends said it was great. Our first course salads were inventive, flavorful and unexpected - amazing. The entrees were disappointing. My lamb and his tuna was of great quality but the entrees as a whole were not reflective of the $40 price tag. His tuna and accompaniments fell flat and lacked excitement and flavor. My lamb was under seasoned with an accompaniment of spinach, kale and chickpeas that tasted too vegetable-gamey and boring. Dessert was a peanut butter mousse torte whose elements were good but together they just didn't flow - too dense, too light...it was confusing. At this price we expect a food experience like a Ninety Acres in New Jersey or Blue Hill in New York. Would return for appetizers only.Special Features:
- Carol and her staff are superb!LindaDined on 7/19/2014I will be short winded if I tell you that the experience was wonderful and the one to one kindness from Carol and each member of her staff was beyond expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fab findmrsgDined on 7/18/2014A friend recommended Pairings to us. I knew I could trust her because she's so picky. We met another couple there and the four of us had a wonderful evening. The food and service were excellent. My only tiny complaint is that we were seating in cloth bench seating which were like 2 small loveseats. We all found it to be a little tight. Men are big and take up a lot of the room. There was regular seating however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningMrW89Dined on 7/18/2014I have been to expensive, upscale restaurants that charge unreasonable prices and most of the time I am underwhelmed. When my girlfriend and I entered Pairings we were greeted warmly and were sat immediately. The service was excellent and the server had a great knowledge of the menu and what appatizers would go well with a certain meal. The food was spectacular and the mood was wonderful. The best part of the whole evening was getting the check, which I was nervous about. To my delight, the bill was quite reasonable and with food that good I had zero complaints. I couldn't stop talking about the experience we had and recommended it to my friends and family. Thank you all for the wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday Tapas SplendorAnnieoVIPDined on 7/17/2014My two guests and I shared 9 plates - not one of them disappointing. The two new entries to the small plate selections stole the show: The pork belly sliders with a hint of a maple glaze was savory, and the Kale & Spinach was simply incredible (I might add we only ordered the later to say we had something green on our plates). We topped off the night with a blueberry compote with brown butter ice cream, I smile while I write this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.