PAIRINGS palate + plate
10 Walnut Ave
Cranford, NJ 07016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
PAIRINGS palate + plate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pairingscranford.com/
- Phone: 9082764026x
- Hours of Operation:
PAIRINGS is a causal fine dining experience and BYOW.(We'll uncork and pour the first glass...)
Wednesday Night: Four Course Prix Fixe Menu 5:30 to 9:00 pm
(courses: appetizer + handmade pasta + main + dessert)
Thursday Night: Tapas Thursday + Regular Dinner Menu 5.30pm to 10:00 pm
Fri 5.30pm to 11:00 pm
Sat 5.30pm to 11.00 pm RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED
Sun 5.00pm to 9.00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carol Murphy Clyne
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: PAIRINGS palate+plate offers on-site private (25 to 100) and semi-private (8 to 15) party dining.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Murphy Clyne, executive chef/owner 9082764026x
- Entertainment: Stay updated on our menu, events & cookbook launch party by following us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pairingscranford.
We also offer onsite private parties for up to 100 people, customized cooking classes & corporate team building events.
Bring Your Own Wine (BYOW)
- Special Events: Join us Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday Nights to enjoy our daily amuse-bouche, intermezzo palate cleanser and a finale of a sweet treat from the chef, complimentary.
Wednesday Night Four Course Tasting Menu http://www.pairingscranford.com/files/prix_fix_dinner_menu.pdf
- Cross Street: For GPS use 10 Walnut Ave - Corner of South Ave East and Walnut Ave.
- Public Transit: NJ Transit: Bus and Train (Raritan Valley Line) RR Station in Cranford town center across the street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: 300 space parking deck steps away, free after 6pm and all day on Sun.
To go to the parking deck, after you turn under the railroad underpass onto N Union Ave, make a quick right turn into the parking garage. Come out of the garage, the same side you drove in, and walk down the lane directly ahead of you (behind the Cranford Hotel.) We are immediately on your right at the end of the lane.
There is also lots of street parking, free after 6 pm and all day Sun.
A word from PAIRINGS palate + plate
PAIRINGS brings together globally inspired cooking, local and sustainable practices and the comfort of grandma's recipes. All of our breads and pastas, all of our stocks and sauces, all of our desserts and ice creams are made from scratch here in our Cranford kitchen. Our plates, which change based on seasonal availability, extend from gourmet to comfort. Each ingredient is strategically paired to intrigue and invigorate, to stimulate and satisfy: sweet with savory, crunchy with creamy, spicy with tangy. Just-baked breads and desserts, freshly rolled pastas, slowly braised meats, à la minute sautéed seafood and ice creams churned daily, leave no palate untingled.Continued
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
PAIRINGS palate + plate - Best Restaurants in Cranford ›
PAIRINGS palate + plate reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)special occasion (97)neighborhood gem (81)romantic (74)good for groups (38)hot spot (16)great for outdoor dining (16)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Please GoBobRDined on 8/27/2014If you have the chance be sure to visit. The food is wonderful, service very attentive, consistently good. We have been here a number of times and they do not disappoint. We went for the second time to the Price Fixed menu and every course was excellent.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentSilbs954Dined on 8/23/2014Vince & Carol have the perfect formular. Kudos to both. Another fine meal and enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- ProfessionalJackGDined on 8/23/2014We have dined at parings on numerous occasions. If I want a restaurant were I am assured excellent service and a memorable meal this is the one which never let's me down.Special Features:
- outstanding all aroundyumyumDined on 8/20/2014Had our 20th anniversary at Pairings. Brought our teenage children. Awesome night. Food was great. Service was so attentive.Special Features:
- Family celibrationopinionDined on 8/15/2014Great food and service at this upscale bring your own restaurant. They went the extra mile to make my daughters' 17th birthday special by printing a personal birthday wish on our menus. Apps,main course and desert were all first class and delicious. great local restaurant without a pretentious attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurant all aroundthefoodcomesfirstDined on 8/13/2014Our first time at Pairings. Great food, great setting in Cranford, great service. We had the "Wednesday prix fixe" dinner and enjoyed it all. The biscuits and rolls alone were practically enough (quality, not quantity)! Read the menu online, and BYOB that'll fit, it made for a terrific evening for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathleenDined on 8/13/2014Very chic. Like a bit of Manhattan sophistication in a suburban downtown. Owners and staff are genuinely friendly but not hovering and the food is outstanding. The dishes use very fresh seasonal ingredients and they add litle touches and tastings to enahnce your experience. A really wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014for our first time at PAIRINGS, the food, staff and ambiance was amazing! The quality of the food was outstanding! Will definitely be going back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Great service, wonderful food. BYOB as well, which is an added bonus.Special Features:
- LovetodineDined on 8/8/2014Excellent food, had trouble deciding what to order because there were so many dishes we wanted to taste! Had a lovely time, we stayed very long talking with our friends and they never rushed us or made us feel like we stayed too long..incredible atmosphere! We will be back!Special Features:
- Palate PleasingMaryHVIPDined on 8/8/2014I booked a baby shower for my daughter in law in September but my daughter had never eaten there. So we went for Dinner on Friday night; a refreshing palate of flavors in the salad and dressing and then onto the steak entree. It was perfectly cooked; a rarity these days and to our exact level of medium rare. We actually finished it because each bite was so delicious. We enjoyed coffee and blueberry cobbler with ice cream for dessert. We sat down with Carol during dessert to discuss the shower setup and menu and everything is all set. A beautiful restaurant, with only our party for the baby shower and a delicious, seasonal menu to go with it. Carol is gracious and helped us to make some delicious decisions. Bon Appetit !Special Features:
- Trying a New PlaceTrishGDined on 8/8/2014We normally celebrate special occasions at the same resturant. For our Anniversary this year we decided to give Pairings a try. Right from the start it was nice, I love the decor. It is rare that we make it through a full meal, appetizer through to dessert, but this time we wanted to try everything. The tuna tartar appetizer was amazing, our dinners were spectacular and the desserts were a great finish to a wonderful dinning experience. In addition to the food, the wait-staff was very helpful and polite. I even let out waiter pick which dessert I should try, he chose wisely! We will return again!Special Features:
- ExcellentDiningoutDined on 8/2/2014An all around excellent experience at Pairings, some of the best food in New Jersey. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Always amazing w/wonderful hosts.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Clyne and Murphy continue to amaze. The menu is designed to appeal to the senses...love the amuse-bouche! Amazing tuna with wasabi hummus! Delectable crab cakes. never disappoints.Special Features:
- Overall excellent, but...FoodiewannabeDined on 8/1/2014Since the menu is printed daily and no specials need to be recited by the wait staff, I suggest asking diners if they are interested in hearing the waiter's favorites....if we cared to know, we would ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousWineNdineDined on 7/31/2014I absolutely loved the new additions added onto the tapas menu. The muscles were to die for. The sauce was perfectly made, each muscle was coated the right amount, and the bread served with the dish was so delicious. Service was delightful and very attentive. Will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!CelesteVIPDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I took our married son and daughter-in-law there for their birthday's. Food was excellent. My son is allergic to certain foods, and the waiter was so helpful. A wonderful place to dine. 5 stars!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great food & PriceBobRDined on 7/30/2014WE had the 4 course Price Fixed menu on this evening. The food was wonderful. Each course was better than the next. Only drawback was that there were only a few selections without adding a supplemental fee. Even with that this is a definite go back to restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentJerseyGirl227VIPDined on 7/27/2014The entire dining experience was wonderful. Friendly, knowledgable and professional staff; serving delicous food. Four people, two courses each and everything was delicous.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014The staff was thoughtful and attentive! The food is always delicious and wonderfully prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014The food was fantastic! The service was great! Highly recommend for Wednesday price fixed menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014consistently outstanding; we have dinner there about every 6 weeks or so and it never disappoints.Special Features:
- A Neighborhood Gem!Love2DineDined on 7/23/2014I love this restaurant! It is apparent that the experience should mimic a lovely dining experience in one's home. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming while the decor is tasteful, just lovely and the food is quite good. I particularly liked the divers scallops appetizer and the eggplant entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmgoodDined on 7/20/2014We sat in these luxurious banquets. Very intimate. No noise. Service has been excellent all three times I've visited. It is great that it is open Sundays. I would love to try brunch there. Food is excellent. I had a delicious salad. My companions was even better with figs and goodies. I had delicious halibut and huge scallops on a risotto that was the best I ve ever had.. Not too soupy. Bring your own wine. It is too elegant a dinner not to have wine!Special Features:
- high standardkjdmdVIPDined on 7/19/2014This relatively new and ambitious restaurant in downtown Cranford has become one of the consistently best in the area. The appetizers and main courses are creative without tipping over into silliness. The service is attentive, although sometimes to a fault. I can highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A bit dissapointedEatingOurWayThroughVIPDined on 7/19/2014The hype was big. Our foodie friends said it was great. Our first course salads were inventive, flavorful and unexpected - amazing. The entrees were disappointing. My lamb and his tuna was of great quality but the entrees as a whole were not reflective of the $40 price tag. His tuna and accompaniments fell flat and lacked excitement and flavor. My lamb was under seasoned with an accompaniment of spinach, kale and chickpeas that tasted too vegetable-gamey and boring. Dessert was a peanut butter mousse torte whose elements were good but together they just didn't flow - too dense, too light...it was confusing. At this price we expect a food experience like a Ninety Acres in New Jersey or Blue Hill in New York. Would return for appetizers only.Special Features:
- Carol and her staff are superb!LindaDined on 7/19/2014I will be short winded if I tell you that the experience was wonderful and the one to one kindness from Carol and each member of her staff was beyond expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fab findmrsgDined on 7/18/2014A friend recommended Pairings to us. I knew I could trust her because she's so picky. We met another couple there and the four of us had a wonderful evening. The food and service were excellent. My only tiny complaint is that we were seating in cloth bench seating which were like 2 small loveseats. We all found it to be a little tight. Men are big and take up a lot of the room. There was regular seating however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningMrW89Dined on 7/18/2014I have been to expensive, upscale restaurants that charge unreasonable prices and most of the time I am underwhelmed. When my girlfriend and I entered Pairings we were greeted warmly and were sat immediately. The service was excellent and the server had a great knowledge of the menu and what appatizers would go well with a certain meal. The food was spectacular and the mood was wonderful. The best part of the whole evening was getting the check, which I was nervous about. To my delight, the bill was quite reasonable and with food that good I had zero complaints. I couldn't stop talking about the experience we had and recommended it to my friends and family. Thank you all for the wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday Tapas SplendorAnnieoVIPDined on 7/17/2014My two guests and I shared 9 plates - not one of them disappointing. The two new entries to the small plate selections stole the show: The pork belly sliders with a hint of a maple glaze was savory, and the Kale & Spinach was simply incredible (I might add we only ordered the later to say we had something green on our plates). We topped off the night with a blueberry compote with brown butter ice cream, I smile while I write this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love Pairing!Happy2shareDined on 7/16/2014As usual, we had a lovely meal. Wednesday is the prix fixe menu and as always it was fabulous. Carol and Vincent are the best hosts and everything that comes put of the kitchen is perfect! It is a Cranford gem.Special Features:
- Best in Cranford, NJOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We regularly dine at Pairings because the food and service are the best, or close to the best, in the area. Hosts are gracious and the ambiance is very pleasing.Special Features:
- Favorite RestaurantFoodFanatic5Dined on 7/12/2014I absolutely love the atmosphere at Pairings. The vibe is very "New York". It is casual but classy. The service is impeccable. The food is excellent. I dined with my husband and my parents and everyone LOVED their meal. The fig salad was the best salad I have ever tasted. The halibut and scallop dish with risotto was perfect. We each ordered a different dish and every one was delicious!!! You must make a reservation NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great last minute breakbrooksieVIPDined on 7/10/2014service and food are fabulous. have been there quite often and never disappointedSpecial Features:
- 5 Stars!FoodieDined on 7/9/2014great for a special occasion or just a night out since it is a BYOB - wonderful experience - we were treated very well and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- traveling foodietravelingfoodie2Dined on 7/9/2014Our second visit as enjoyable as the first. Delicious food beautifully presented.. The special salad this evening consisted of arugula and red lettuce, grapes, pears, candied walnuts, gorgonzola and topped with figs. The ample portion disappeared quickly. Equally enjoyable were the salmon and chicken entrees. The chocolate panacotta with roasted strawberries offered for dessert melted in your mouth. Pairings is our new favorite place to dine. I would recommend tapas night for a first visit to get a broader sampling of the restaurant's menu. Our only 'complaint' was that it got a bit noisy as the restaurant filled and on this Wednesday evening it was filled.Special Features:
- Pleasure Dining ExpierenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014It is always a relaxing pleasure to enjoy the wonderful cuisine at Pairings. Clynne and Murphy never cease to disappoint with the selections of fish, meat and delicious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star Gem in Downtown CranfordHappyFoodieDined on 6/28/2014Pairings palate + plate is a 5 Star Gem in the heart of Downtown Cranford. The co-owners Carol and Vincent are welcoming and their team is friendly, knowledgeable and always available to make your dining experience wonderful. Great place for friends to reconnect or a romantic dinner, this restaurant never fails. Fabulous place for the Foodie!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Celebrated our third wedding anniversary. Very nice exactly what I expected . The food was incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm never disappointed.Silbs954Dined on 6/21/2014Enjoyed a special occasion meal this past Saturday. It was perfect. Table service, food and ambiance; excellent. Carol and Vin are great hosts and make us feel welcome every time.Special Features: