PAIRINGS palate + plate
10 Walnut Ave
Cranford, NJ 07016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
PAIRINGS palate + plate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pairingscranford.com/
- Phone: (908) 276-4026
- Hours of Operation:
PAIRINGS is a causal fine dining experience and BYOW.(We'll uncork and pour the first glass...)
Wednesday Night: Four Course Prix Fixe Menu 5:30 to 9:00 pm
(courses: appetizer + handmade pasta + main + dessert)
Thursday Night: Tapas Thursday + Regular Dinner Menu 5.30pm to 10:00 pm
Fri 5.30pm to 11:00 pm
Sat 5.30pm to 11.00 pm RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED
Sun 5.00pm to 9.00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carol Murphy Clyne
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: PAIRINGS palate+plate offers on-site private (25 to 100) and semi-private (8 to 15) party dining.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Murphy Clyne, executive chef/owner 9082764026x
- Entertainment: Stay updated on our menu, events & cookbook launch party by following us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pairingscranford.
We also offer onsite private parties for up to 100 people, customized cooking classes & corporate team building events.
Bring Your Own Wine (BYOW)
- Special Events: Join us Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday Nights to enjoy our daily amuse-bouche, intermezzo palate cleanser and a finale of a sweet treat from the chef, complimentary.
Wednesday Night Four Course Tasting Menu http://www.pairingscranford.com/files/prix_fix_dinner_menu.pdf
- Cross Street: For GPS use 10 Walnut Ave - Corner of South Ave East and Walnut Ave.
- Public Transit: NJ Transit: Bus and Train (Raritan Valley Line) RR Station in Cranford town center across the street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: 300 space parking deck steps away, free after 6pm and all day on Sun.
To go to the parking deck, after you turn under the railroad underpass onto N Union Ave, make a quick right turn into the parking garage. Come out of the garage, the same side you drove in, and walk down the lane directly ahead of you (behind the Cranford Hotel.) We are immediately on your right at the end of the lane.
There is also lots of street parking, free after 6 pm and all day Sun.
A word from PAIRINGS palate + plate
PAIRINGS brings together globally inspired cooking, local and sustainable practices and the comfort of grandma's recipes. All of our breads and pastas, all of our stocks and sauces, all of our desserts and ice creams are made from scratch here in our Cranford kitchen. Our plates, which change based on seasonal availability, extend from gourmet to comfort. Each ingredient is strategically paired to intrigue and invigorate, to stimulate and satisfy: sweet with savory, crunchy with creamy, spicy with tangy. Just-baked breads and desserts, freshly rolled pastas, slowly braised meats, à la minute sautéed seafood and ice creams churned daily, leave no palate untingled.Continued
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
PAIRINGS palate + plate - Best Restaurants in Cranford ›
PAIRINGS palate + plate reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)special occasion (85)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (68)good for groups (31)hot spot (17)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- CpfoodieDined on 11/22/2014The attention to detail at Pairings is so well done. From the food to the decor to the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did it again.....MaryHVIPDined on 11/22/2014provided us with a memorable dining experience. Food is always fresh and inventive. Interesting flavors and never a rush. Horseradish crusted salmon was moist and delicious. Will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall excellent dining experienceJackGDined on 11/22/2014Have dined at pairings on many occasions, and have never been disappointed. It is unusual to have an exceptional dining experience in all aspects; but from the greeting to the good nite and everything in between a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss outMarkDined on 11/15/2014Excellent place, from the owner to the waiters, everything is top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Silbs954Dined on 11/15/2014Never disappointed. Food, staff and environment make for a great dining experience. Carol and Vincent are the ultimate hosts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentScottDined on 11/14/2014Everything at Pairings is made in-house, right down to the butter that comes with the bread assortment - and it shows. The food is among the best in NJ, the tables are very well spaced, and the service is excellent. They truly care about each course served to every diner. If you're looking for a special occasion or just a great meal, Pairings should be on your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!mjds87Dined on 11/8/2014Heard a lot about the restaurant... all good. Was not disappointed. It was wonderful. We went for our 27th wedding anniversary I can't wait to go back and try something else on the menu...Awesome!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a nice findzisbellaDined on 11/8/2014Upon entering Parings there was a warm and inviting feeling to the place. The host/hostess were friendly, wait staff attentive and pleasant. Menu included some interesting "pairings". I look forward to coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travelingfoodie2Dined on 11/5/2014Third time here. Very lovely restaurant with outstanding food and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - service just okCusefanDined on 11/1/2014Food is consistently good here. The first time here my steak came out 15 min after everyone was served. This time the service was just mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Birthday DinnerKarlandLisaDined on 10/29/2014We are ALWAYS completely satisfied with our ding experience at Pairings. Wednesday 10/29/14 was tops!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!FoodieDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I both had salads to start. I had the beet spinach salad which was delicious. He had the marinated pear and blue cheese salad. Very good. My husband had the filet of lamb for his entree and I had the salmon with brussel sprouts. Everything was so good. I had a little salmon and brussel sprouts left over and brought it home. Had it the next day for lunch, still great! Will go back soon! Service and our table in the back was great!Special Features:
- Daughter's first visitcmtcynthiaDined on 10/25/2014My Daughter & I came to Pairings Saturday evening with our Open Table reservation. As soon as we entered, we felt very welcome and right at home. Our meal was fabulous. The halibut and scallops were prepared perfectly. The fettuccine complimenting the eggplant tower was light yet creamy and delicious. Our service was attentive but not intrusive. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really excellent foodMSFoodieDined on 10/24/2014Very rare to find this caliber of restaurant in NJ. Loved itSpecial Features:
- suprisingJerseyKVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have been anticipating dining at Pairings for years, and was surprised and unimpressed with my experience. The decor and ambiance was very nice. Our server could not have been nicer, but seemed distracted at first and drinks were not offered until we had our appetizers. Plus we were given far too long to peruse the limited menu. I had trouble finding something to order for all three courses. The pear salad was the best course of my meal, though all those long stems were difficult to eat. The honey ribs were tasty but difficult to eat with lots of small bones only detected by chewing. My cheesecake was covered in unappetizing sauce that was difficult to avoid. Hard non-cushioned heavy chairs. Doubtful I will return.
- Weeknight Birthday CelebrationRitakayDined on 10/23/2014As usual, Pairings provided a wonderful setting to celebrate my birthday, once again. From the pre-printed menu acknowledging our special dinner, the wait staff that is a breath of fresh air in their professional demeanor, to the presentation of fresh food combinations prepared perfectly. Pairings turns out a consistent dining experience, and their creative approach with food pairings (no pun) makes sharing a meal so much more enjoyable. Carol and Vincent were kind to 'gift' me a copy of their new book 'Modern Buffet' - wonderful ideas, photos, and inspiration - Thank you for that wonderful surprise!Special Features:
- Outstanding!Lmac99aDined on 10/23/2014I brought my wife here for our anniversary and we had a wonderful evening. Pairings pays attention to detail, food was a great experience of flavors, creativity and presentation. We started with a selection of tapas, followed by salad and my course of halibut with scallops and my wife enjoyed honey laquered ribs. The dessert was amazing... we had a peach strudel layered with crushed walnuts... Exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cranford's BestmsbmswDined on 10/23/2014Pairings is a beautifully decorated restaurant whose owners greet you at the door and make you feel welcome. Wait staff is enthusiastic and well prepared. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres are lovely, menu varied, and staff willing to accomodate allergies and substitutions. While prices are high, food is consistently excellent, and the experience is worth the expense.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceKJM1Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I were looking for a place to celebrate our anniversary. Pairings is an absolute homerun. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone looking to have a great meal with outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENAL!!JimleeDined on 10/18/2014A major surprise! Gift certificate received as a wedding gift. Didn't know what to expect - had never heard of Pairings. From the moment we walked in the door the hosts were SO pleasant and genuinely pleased that we were there. Staff was VERY attentive, Andrew our server was attentive, informative and knowledgeable of the menu choices. I mentioned that we were there as a wedding gift recipient, and he congratulated us, and presented us with our check and the complimentary end of meal cookies in a dish with the chef having written "Congratulations on your wedding" in chocolate ganache! (sp?) The food was astounding and different and delicious! Everything was superb.Special Features:
- Great special occasion restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014I took my husband to Pairings for his birthday on a whim. We live in the area but never ate there. I told them it was his birthday when I made the reservations and they remembered. Not only did they remember the menu had his name on it. The food was very good however did not know it was BYOB which would have been helpful to know ahead of time. It was pricey but if you are a foodie the menu will not disappoint you. Very unique dishes and wait staff is ready and willing to describe everything you need to know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Servicelove2eatDined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. The food was outstanding as was the service. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014We dine here every 4 - 6 weeks; the food and service are consistently very good which is why we keep coming back.Special Features:
- Another great mealNJWineGuyDined on 10/17/2014I have to start coming more than once every 6 months. Another great meal! There was a large party going on, and all the tables were full, and we never felt like our conversations were drowned out. The monkfish with chorizo was outrageous. I'd go back for that alone. My wife's one complaint was the food runners/busers were "notably present". When she mentioned that, I would absolutely agree. The waiter was tremendous (I wish I got his name), super friendly, very helpful, attentive and just great overall service.Special Features:
- Simply WonderfulSnoopy21Dined on 10/12/2014We went to celebrate two birthdays. The staff was wonderful. The food, as always, was exceptional. This is a great restaurant and we are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayFoodReviewDined on 10/10/2014Overall experience was just okay. My app (tuna tartar) was great, but my wife's (poached pear salad) was just pretty good. My wife's main (tuna) was great, but mine (halibut) was below average.
- Always superbFoodiewannabeDined on 10/10/2014They never disappoint! At most recent dinner, an unexpected nor ordered, birthday dessert arrived for one of my dining companions, whose birthday was indeed a few days earlier. Our server had overheard a conversation we had with friends who arrived for their reservation for a birthday celebration. Now, this is truly excellent service!!!Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 10/4/2014Dined here for the first time. For appetizers we had the arugula ensalada, the crab cakes and the tuna tartar - all excellent and decoratively plated. Among the 4 of us we tried 2 entrees, the duck breast and the halibut & scallops with risotto. Duck was perfectly cooked, tender with crispy skin. The risotto that came with the halibut/scallops was delicious - made with lots of earthy mushrooms. While fish was excellent the serving size for $39 was rather small especially the scallops - they were NOT diver size. Also we needed a few greens on the plate - a few asparagus spears or green beans would have been a nice addition. Desserts we tried were the peanut butter mousse, chocolate ale cake and the panna cotta - all perfect endings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialNJ4folksVIPDined on 10/4/2014Excellent food and service. Stands above most restaurants. Hard chairs not comfortableSpecial Features:
- Upscale NYC type dining in Cranford24dinnerDined on 10/3/2014Much to our surprise the entire experience was exceptional....The overall rating was as if we were in an upscale New York City restaurant. The ambiance, the quality of the food more than met our expectations but what really set this restaurant up was the greeting and attention given to us by what appeared to be the owners. They were smiling and made you feel like you were at their home for dinner.Special Features:
- DeliciousWineNdineDined on 10/2/2014Such a lovely spot. Tapas were so delicious. Hats off to the Chefs. Strongly recommend for a quite evening with loved ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have never been disappointedgregpasDined on 9/28/2014We have dined here many a time and have never been disappointed. The food is always top notch, the service is great and we walk out satisfied. We hadn't eaten there in about 6 months and our dinner was like coming home.Special Features:
- Excellent!MamaBDined on 9/27/2014Excellent restaurant, the food is delicious. I love the way they put different flavors together. I found myself trying things that I normally would never try. The service was impeccable. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Pairings needs attitute adjustmentXXBYOsDined on 9/27/2014The food is great - delicious and lots of choices. But, the portions, especially the appetizers are small and the prices are very high. The men in our party both said their entrees were too small. Also, I asked for a substitute vegetable and was offered a choice. But, when the bill came, we were charged for this! And, the waiter did not have the power to take it off the bill. He brought over the manager, who was became obnoxious and we had to push to have the charge removed. What happened to the customer is always right? Did I mention how high the prices are? We shared 2 appetizers for 4 people and each of us had a main course. No dessert, no soft drinks, no coffee. It was about $120/couple. Too much of a Manhattan attitude for Cranford.Special Features:
- A New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014What initially caught my eye with PAIRINGS palate + plate was the menu and ingredients when looking for a restaurant in the area online. It certainly lived up to the expectations. Dishes were executed very well with both presentation and taste. It provides a very pleasant ambiance to dine in and our service was solid. A new favorite for us. We are looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A food gem in Crandford.KenbobsrDined on 9/19/2014How nice to be greeted at the door by the host. The hostess knew who we were making you feel special (I guessing from our reservation through OpenTable). We were seated in a section of the restaurant that was quieter - which suited us well. Our server was very friendly. The room got a bit warm/stuffy but then the air conditioning came on. While a little pricey, the food was very good - fresh. Would definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- You have to try itNjbenzboyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Amazing food. First time there and definitely not my last!Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This restaurant has outstanding food! The dishes are prepared with good ingredients and these change according to the season. Dishes are inventive with respect to pairing tastes, and the presentation is beautiful. Additionally the service is charming, knowledgable and attentive to your every need without hovering over the table.Special Features:
- We love itLinda1616Dined on 9/11/2014From the service to the food this place is outstanding. We have been to Pairings many times and we are NEVER disappointed. They go the extra mile with everything from soup to dessert. We just happened to tell them we were there to celebrate my nieces birthday and out came her dessert with a happy birthday candle and writing along with our 25th wedding anniversary congrats. We recommend this place HIGHLY!Special Features:
- Please GoBobRDined on 8/27/2014If you have the chance be sure to visit. The food is wonderful, service very attentive, consistently good. We have been here a number of times and they do not disappoint. We went for the second time to the Price Fixed menu and every course was excellent.Special Features: