20 South Spruce Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.packstavern.com/
- Phone: 8282256944x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Edwin French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call 828-225-6944 for Catering - large or small!
- Entertainment: We have live music or a DJ every Thursday through Saturday.
- Special Events: Our beautiful Century Room is perfect for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, corporate parties and other private functions with a capacity of 50 - 250! Our South Bar is a casual area for large group lunches or dinners that may or may not need to be totally private (maximum capacity 60).
A word from Pack's Tavern
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville and housed in the historic Hayes Hopson building, Pack’s Tavern offers outstanding service, the best drinks in town, and a large eclectic menu of over 60 items; everything from signature salads to hand-pattied burgers, from wonderful appetizers to fresh cut steaks and seafood in a friendly, hospitable atmosphere. All to be enjoyed in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Asheville’s newly renovated Pack Square Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Pack's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Pack's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (48)neighborhood gem (38)vibrant bar scene (32)great for outdoor dining (31)great for lunch (30)kid-friendly (30)hot spot (24)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (12)late-night find (11)scenic view (7)great for brunch (5)romantic (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- WoodboxOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Pack's Tavern is a favorite place of ours to dine. It has reasonable prices for great food, fun staff who make us feel welcome and is in the center of activity in Asheville. We can park, dine and walk to everywhere we wish to go. When people ask where a fun, great place to go is in Asheville, we are the first to say Packs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a chance - glad we did!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Our group of 8 had no personal reference for the tavern; however, we were all delighted with our choice. I had crab cakes, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts and my meal was perfect! Several of us had the crab cakes and all were very pleased with our choice - lots of crabmeat and less of the fillers you often find. Also, the mashed potatoes were very good - a step up from the usual mashed potatoes. When we visit Asheville again, Packs Tavern will be on list of places to visit. Reservations are recommended as this is a busy place.Special Features:
- Ambiance great-food good, bar-greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Very cool looking place. Service is excellent. Our food was good but nothing special...we ordered the chicken wings and the salmon dish. We looked at other tables and many people had ordered burgers and they looked fantastic. Parking was easy. Easy walk to town where there is all sorts of things happening!Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014We Love Packs Tavern. We had an exceptional time this visit. Our Server, Stuart, was absolutely fantastic! Stuart really made our experience memorable. If you go anywhere, you MUST visit packs. I'm a local and we go as often as possible. There were 8 of us plus a baby, and Stuart made us all feel right at home! Can't wait to go back for the amazing RIBS! Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tavern foodDebsterDined on 9/6/2014We had party of 6. We were seated right away, but tried to put us in a booth. Not working. We requested a table and it was not a problem. Service was good. Food is typical pub fare , prepared nicely. Was quite noisy during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We ate outside so the noise level was not an issue as it is inside. The waiter was wonderful and the food was delicious, and a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love everything about Pack'sLoritaDined on 9/1/2014I took my whole family out to lunch (ages ranging 3-70) at Pack's, and everyone LOVED it. It's a gorgeous building with fascinating architecture and history, and a very comfortable, laid-back but still refined vibe. Our server, Jin, was world class. Charming, knowledgeable, and quick, he anticipated our needs and kept us all happy, without ever hovering. Most of us had the burgers -- I'd suggest ordering it medium, as the cooks seemed to lean toward slightly more done. The sweet potato fries are outstanding, as are the pickle chips, the red pepper aioli, and garlic aioli. The fish tacos are a hands-down winner in every way, and the beer selection made me want to hang out all afternoon. Go to Packs. Take your friends/fam. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlatRockMikeDined on 8/29/2014A great place for relaxing after work with good service and a full plate of food. The only drawback if you're coming from out of town is parking. The restaurant is surrounded by police and fire employee parking. I recommend spending $5 and park in the public garage a block away and right in the middle of the Pack Square activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambience and good beerbwstoneDined on 8/27/2014I thoroughly enjoyed a sampler of NC beers. The menu is extensive and the food well prepared. In a city that specializes in specialties, it was good to have a more varied menu. Also, the beer selection was ample, so we were able to sample many different breweries in one stop. Our new waitperson was delightful and worked to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Great food, great old building ambience, excellent service. No complaints at all from our group of 9. The chicken tenders were raved about from everyone who had them. Our server (can't remember her name but it was Sunday night at 7, 8/24) went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. would definitely return.Special Features:
- First rate all aroundBenjyCompsonDined on 8/16/2014Part of a perfect outdoor Asheville evening. They even arranged for good weather!Special Features:
- Better than normal bar foodJEPEatinoutVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great pre shindig in the green spot. The food was great and our server was fantastic. This is a fun spot in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceVikingNCDined on 8/9/2014We arrived a little early for our reservation and were seated immediately. Server was excellent, food excellent, service fast. Noise level is always a bit high here, it was tolerable but Pack's Tavern is not a quiet place! We recommend it for lunch or evenings.Special Features:
- Country2ConcreteDined on 8/7/2014Great tavern atmosphere in the heart of Asheville. Loved this restaurant, and will definitely be returning. Highly recommend the Carolina Burger & Fried PicklesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meatloafDinnerHereB4ACTDined on 8/7/2014The Bison meatloaf is excellent. The service is always efficient and friendly. A convenient place to eat prior to attending the Asheville Community Theater (ACT) as it's a short walk to the theater.Special Features:
- easy to walk tomilkshakeDined on 7/28/2014It was easy to walk to but nothing spectacular. If you are buying beers, its your place. Family dinner its okay. Buying a milkshake, you have to wait, wait, wait.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place, great foodFromSwitzerlandDined on 7/26/2014We ate there two times. We loved the place for its ambience. It was very vibrant. Service was great. We were there with our 9 year old daughter and she liked it. Try the red wine and the baby back ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomicusDined on 7/26/2014Great menu selection; something for everyone. Prices very affordable, food is delicious! Outstanding fish and chips, crab cake appetizers should have been warmer. Great French Dip. Creative burgers. Wonderful old building with rich history tastefully decorated. Beer selection outstanding! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So nice. Had to go twice.KeyGripWifeDined on 7/26/2014Visiting for a short time. There were so many great options. Packs was the most amazing. The service and great food kept us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Color-rificlowcountryncDined on 7/26/2014Had reservations after the ColorRun2014 - Group of 14, outdoor dining, kids could go out the gate to play in the water area while waiting for food. Beer was cold, food was hot and tasty. Servers were prompt and nice. Definitely would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pack's was the ticketOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014We were looking for a casual place for dinner on our first night in Asheville. Picked Pack's off the Yelp web site and was not dissappointed. Varied menu, very good quality food, great service. Only complaint was noise level. There was a solo artist playing guitar. She was good, but WAY too loud. We should not have to shout over the music just to have a conversation. Would recommend to others and go back ourselves next time in town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PackerbackerDined on 7/22/2014Our food was tasty. Service not so good. The main dish for one of the eight in our party came out before the salads for everyone else. Then when the rest got our meals they were warm - not hot. Our server was not attentive. It took him 10 minutes to come back to our table to get payment after dropping off the bill. On a side note, we started our dinner outside and rain come out of nowhere. They did a good job or re-seating us inside.Special Features:
- Large family lunchCharlestonBrideVIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food, great variety on the menu, service for a large group was a little slowSpecial Features:
- Delighted to have reservationsWife2Dined on 7/12/2014The food was worth waiting for, but because we had made reservations, we were seated right away, walking past many people waiting for a table. Their ribs were wonderful, and friend said the salad was good.Special Features:
- Pack's Tavern packs awesomenessGhostactorDined on 7/11/2014Since moving to Asheville a fortnight ago, my girlfriend and I have yet to have a negative dining experience in our awesome new town, and Pack's was certainly no exception. Great food, excellent and friendly service, tasty local brews, and a great place to pick up the Trolley Ghost Tour and the Pubcycle! We'll be back...you've been warned. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceEatingBearDined on 7/9/2014Love Pack's! We had a great time dining with friends and the staff made it happen in a snap. Service was fast and friendly and the outdoor patio was perfect with very pleasant views of Pack Square Park. Excellant selection of cocktails, beers and wines. The fried pickle chips were superb and my Beet Salad was great. The entire menu is yummy. We go to Pack's often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed on a Monday night!NycdiletantesVIPDined on 7/7/2014We have been to Pack's Tavern many times. This time, we had to ask to be moved from our initial table because of a raucous table game behind us. Then, settled into our booth, we started our meal with a Caprese pesto, an appetizer of fried green tomatoes served with fresh mozzarella and pesto. It was quite tasty. My husband had a perfectly cooked rib eye steak with hot, crisp French fries. His entrée was accompanied by a Caesar salad, also good. My grilled Atlantic salmon was also perfectly cooked, but lacking in flavor. Its accompaniment of jasmine rice had no flavor at all, not even a hint of salt. The sautéed squash and zucchini was much more flavorful than either the rice or the salmon. Our server, Amanda, was prompt and pleasant.Special Features:
- Best drink in AshevilleAmberVIPDined on 7/6/2014In a town known for great food, Packs Tavern has been overlooked! Fried green tomatoes appetizer rivals many others in Asheville!!! But the house coctail-- a frozen orange concoction is not to be missed on a hot afternoon!! Outside tables overlook a beautiful park, sprinkled with fountains, families, and fun. Great place to sit, relax and people watch!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute stopDP69Dined on 7/3/2014Good fish and chips, good spinach artichoke dip, excellent strawberry pecan chicken salad, great Mac and cheese, quick efficient serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service decent foodJuliaDined on 7/1/2014We were seated with no silverware and no one came to even offer us water for at least 10 minutes. Once the server finally arrived and took our drink order, she seemed preoccupied she had to come back to ask us what we had. We get our drinks , place our food order of the Thai salad and the chicken salad. We both asked for dressing on the side. When our food came my husband's dressing was on his salad and I had no dressing at all. Not to mention we had no silverware and had to ask the hostess to bring us water. We got our own silverware from the booth behind us. Overall it was terrible service. Which is sad because this place is in a great location. Perhaps because it is in a great location they feel they don't have to give great service .
- Great find!YummybitsDined on 7/1/2014Charming, kid friendly spot with lots of elbow room. Food was great, service delightful and love the history behind the location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect experience by all...Sunflowers69Dined on 6/22/2014Our reservations were at 4pm. We were right on time. Seated immediately to our table. Our waiter was right in que. He provided us with professional and courteous service from start to finish. Our food was delicious from the appetizer to dessert. We would definitely make reservations to come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pack TaverndopeteDined on 6/20/2014We had a great time at Pack Tavern -excellent food and good service at very reasonable prices. Very popular restaurant in Asheville with great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014We typically go to the same restaurant every week for our date night. We had a little extra time so decided to go to Packs after looking at the menu online. The closer for us was also the fact that there were plenty of tvs to watch the world cup. We were seated immediately. Our server was knowledgeable and very gracious. The food was awesome and my husband lived the drink special. Thanks Packs Tavern it was a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food & excellent serviceLUVTOTRYNEWPLACESDined on 6/13/2014We planned an evening out on the town of Asheville and picked Pack's Tavern to have out dinner. We made a reservation in advance and had no wait time at all. The menu had something for everyone to enjoy and their beer list was outstanding. We had an excellent server and she was very helpful with picking the right beer to go with the food. The food was excellent. The server also took the time to show me a map and told me which craft breweries we should visit. If you enjoy sports they have an amazing bar for viewing the games.Special Features:
- Happy Place with Good ServiceKenCookieVIPDined on 6/12/2014Pack’s Tavern is in a lovingly restored building in the heart of Asheville, adjacent to Pack Square Park. The food is definitely good, but this is a place where locals and tourists alike come to enjoy the ambiance, good service, and wonderful craft beer choices. We started with both wine and beer from a good list—and priced right. Then we had nachos—with house-made tortilla chips in various hues. For dinner, we had the fish and chips and a barbeque bacon cheddar burger with fries. Everything was delicious, though my husband was sure the fish was frozen, not fresh. My burger was cooked to perfection, something unusual when requesting it be cooked rare. Our service was friendly, very attentive, and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Best good we had in Asheville!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2014Ate at Pack's because it was the meeting place for the Ghost Tour. Was surprised...food was freshly prepared and delicious! Pulled turkey Reuben...turkey right off the bird and not lunch meat! Bison meatloaf was wonderful...real mashed potatoes. Great for a couple and large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large Groupahm514Dined on 6/7/2014We had a group of 10 and they were very accommodating! We had reservations and our table was ready when we got there! Service was great and the food and drinks were too. Everyone in our group was happy with the visit.Special Features:
- Great sports barBBQerVIPDined on 5/25/2014Solid Southern cuisine and a very large bar area with plenty of TV's. Great sports bar with some historical flavor.Special Features:
- The following 69 reviews are from the Pack's Tavern reviews archive.
- First time visitMountainjunkie25Dined on 5/23/2014Dined at packs before a trolley tour. Very pleased with menu and great service. Beer sampling nice feature. Highly recommend. Will return next time in town.Special Features: