20 South Spruce Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.packstavern.com/
- Phone: (828) 225-6944
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Edwin French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call 828-225-6944 for Catering - large or small!
- Entertainment: We have live music or a DJ every Thursday through Saturday.
- Special Events: Our beautiful Century Room is perfect for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, corporate parties and other private functions with a capacity of 50 - 250! Our South Bar is a casual area for large group lunches or dinners that may or may not need to be totally private (maximum capacity 60).
A word from Pack's Tavern
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville and housed in the historic Hayes Hopson building, Pack’s Tavern offers outstanding service, the best drinks in town, and a large eclectic menu of over 60 items; everything from signature salads to hand-pattied burgers, from wonderful appetizers to fresh cut steaks and seafood in a friendly, hospitable atmosphere. All to be enjoyed in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Asheville’s newly renovated Pack Square Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Pack's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Pack's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (41)vibrant bar scene (35)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (27)kid-friendly (19)great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (13)fit for foodies (13)late-night find (11)special occasion (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Great value in Downtown AshevilleAvlrealtorDined on 11/19/2014It is not a foodie haven but it good, fresh and decently priced for the location. We sat nearly in the bar b/c we had a large party so it was noisy. If booking a large party ask for the back room. My first time so I did not know. Service was excellent and the food all came out at the same time. What more could you ask for.Special Features:
- Average lunch spot. Slightly over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014It was a good lunch spot to watch the game. The food was about average but for what they're charging I would have expected a bit more flavor and quantity. The portions were a little small. The drinks were good. Slightly light on the alcohol content but not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the place!MDayDined on 11/7/2014We had a group of 10 visiting Asheville. We were all really happy about our visit to Pack's Tavern. Only negative is parking in that area. Yet I think downtown parking in Asheville as a whole is bad! Food was great. Great draft beer list. Service was great. Overall great times!Special Features:
- Great selectiondmousaVIPDined on 11/4/2014The menu is diverse but not overwhelming. Service was excellent and good recommendations were given. M Adult milkshakes a great end for a great meal. Shrimp and grits in the mountains are tremendous and on a cold night great comfort food.Special Features:
- Fantastic place to watch a gameBrilloDined on 11/2/2014Was looking for a good place to watch the late afternoon NFL game. They set us up perfectly in front of the big screen projection. Food was very good ... loved the fried pickles and the BBQ burger. We will be back next time we are in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent GoToout4thenightDined on 10/30/2014Good whiskey and local beer selection - music (solo guitar) was awesome, both nice additions to the service and dinner selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 10/30/2014Packs Tavern is a lively local bar and restaurant. The bar is big and they make a large variety of drinks. The restaurant has a good variety on the menu and our meals were very tasty. Prices are moderate. Good place to unwind and they do have music.Special Features:
- Wait staff excellentLovetoeat22Dined on 10/30/2014We came around change of shift from lunch to dinner and have a couple of different people but each was Excellent! Jeff, Mariss and Jessie were very attentive, great with our group that changed while we were there and had excellent knowledge of the menu! These three are an asset to the restaurant!Special Features:
- Good foodGdyufhjjhgDined on 10/19/2014We ate an excelent dinner and were superbly served by EricSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sports venueOM1979VIPDined on 10/18/2014Great service and food. Excellent venue for watching sports.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesMamasueDined on 10/17/2014Good food, great place to take our guests and then roam the streets of Asheville. Good times. Never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLilyDined on 10/13/2014We were visiting from Va. This is an ideal place to relax and have a great dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant, ambience was perfect and the waiters were very cordial.Special Features:
- Great Food - For Kids, TooFourSeafoodersVIPDined on 10/8/2014Not often are there bars with good kid food - great place for families visiting Asheville looking for something simple and reliable. Nice neighborhood, too, right next to the police and fire station! :-)Special Features:
- WAY TOO LOUDFarTooLoudDined on 10/4/2014I love the food and the service at Pack's Tavern but have become more wary of going because of the "far too loud" music playing in the background. We made reservations for a table of 9 prior to a show at Asheville Community Theater, bringing friends together to "catch up" with each other and have a few laughs....none of that happened as after screaming across the table for 15 minutes, everyone ate as fast as possible so we could leave and hear each other. I can TRULY say that I could not hear either person sitting immediately beside me on either side.Special Features:
- Pack's packs on flavor and service!NycdiletantesVIPDined on 9/30/2014We met a large group of newcomer friends at Pack's on a recent Tuesday night. We could have met even more, as we were set up in a very large room. (We had been told they could accommodate up to 60. I'm not sure what our numbers actually were, but clearly less than that.) Three servers were assigned specifically for our group, and they did a terrific job. Friendly, accurate, personable service. I was a little hesitant to order crab cakes, as we are in a landlocked location, but I wanted to try them. Our server reassured me by saying they're a crowd favorite. They were delicious; I'll have the second one for my lunch today. They were accompanied by a tasty potato salad and brussels sprouts. Yum all around!Special Features:
- WoodboxOldoakshomeDined on 9/19/2014Pack's Tavern is a favorite place of ours to dine. It has reasonable prices for great food, fun staff who make us feel welcome and is in the center of activity in Asheville. We can park, dine and walk to everywhere we wish to go. When people ask where a fun, great place to go is in Asheville, we are the first to say Packs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a chance - glad we did!jkayDined on 9/19/2014Our group of 8 had no personal reference for the tavern; however, we were all delighted with our choice. I had crab cakes, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts and my meal was perfect! Several of us had the crab cakes and all were very pleased with our choice - lots of crabmeat and less of the fillers you often find. Also, the mashed potatoes were very good - a step up from the usual mashed potatoes. When we visit Asheville again, Packs Tavern will be on list of places to visit. Reservations are recommended as this is a busy place.Special Features:
- Ambiance great-food good, bar-greatjustruthDined on 9/19/2014Very cool looking place. Service is excellent. Our food was good but nothing special...we ordered the chicken wings and the salmon dish. We looked at other tables and many people had ordered burgers and they looked fantastic. Parking was easy. Easy walk to town where there is all sorts of things happening!Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014We Love Packs Tavern. We had an exceptional time this visit. Our Server, Stuart, was absolutely fantastic! Stuart really made our experience memorable. If you go anywhere, you MUST visit packs. I'm a local and we go as often as possible. There were 8 of us plus a baby, and Stuart made us all feel right at home! Can't wait to go back for the amazing RIBS! Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tavern foodDebsterDined on 9/6/2014We had party of 6. We were seated right away, but tried to put us in a booth. Not working. We requested a table and it was not a problem. Service was good. Food is typical pub fare , prepared nicely. Was quite noisy during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We ate outside so the noise level was not an issue as it is inside. The waiter was wonderful and the food was delicious, and a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love everything about Pack'sLoritaDined on 9/1/2014I took my whole family out to lunch (ages ranging 3-70) at Pack's, and everyone LOVED it. It's a gorgeous building with fascinating architecture and history, and a very comfortable, laid-back but still refined vibe. Our server, Jin, was world class. Charming, knowledgeable, and quick, he anticipated our needs and kept us all happy, without ever hovering. Most of us had the burgers -- I'd suggest ordering it medium, as the cooks seemed to lean toward slightly more done. The sweet potato fries are outstanding, as are the pickle chips, the red pepper aioli, and garlic aioli. The fish tacos are a hands-down winner in every way, and the beer selection made me want to hang out all afternoon. Go to Packs. Take your friends/fam. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlatRockMikeDined on 8/29/2014A great place for relaxing after work with good service and a full plate of food. The only drawback if you're coming from out of town is parking. The restaurant is surrounded by police and fire employee parking. I recommend spending $5 and park in the public garage a block away and right in the middle of the Pack Square activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambience and good beerbwstoneDined on 8/27/2014I thoroughly enjoyed a sampler of NC beers. The menu is extensive and the food well prepared. In a city that specializes in specialties, it was good to have a more varied menu. Also, the beer selection was ample, so we were able to sample many different breweries in one stop. Our new waitperson was delightful and worked to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Great food, great old building ambience, excellent service. No complaints at all from our group of 9. The chicken tenders were raved about from everyone who had them. Our server (can't remember her name but it was Sunday night at 7, 8/24) went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. would definitely return.Special Features:
- First rate all aroundBenjyCompsonDined on 8/16/2014Part of a perfect outdoor Asheville evening. They even arranged for good weather!Special Features:
- Better than normal bar foodJEPEatinoutVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great pre shindig in the green spot. The food was great and our server was fantastic. This is a fun spot in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceVikingNCDined on 8/9/2014We arrived a little early for our reservation and were seated immediately. Server was excellent, food excellent, service fast. Noise level is always a bit high here, it was tolerable but Pack's Tavern is not a quiet place! We recommend it for lunch or evenings.Special Features:
- Country2ConcreteDined on 8/7/2014Great tavern atmosphere in the heart of Asheville. Loved this restaurant, and will definitely be returning. Highly recommend the Carolina Burger & Fried PicklesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meatloafDinnerHereB4ACTDined on 8/7/2014The Bison meatloaf is excellent. The service is always efficient and friendly. A convenient place to eat prior to attending the Asheville Community Theater (ACT) as it's a short walk to the theater.Special Features:
- The following 93 reviews are from the Pack's Tavern reviews archive.
- easy to walk tomilkshakeDined on 7/28/2014It was easy to walk to but nothing spectacular. If you are buying beers, its your place. Family dinner its okay. Buying a milkshake, you have to wait, wait, wait.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place, great foodFromSwitzerlandDined on 7/26/2014We ate there two times. We loved the place for its ambience. It was very vibrant. Service was great. We were there with our 9 year old daughter and she liked it. Try the red wine and the baby back ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomicusDined on 7/26/2014Great menu selection; something for everyone. Prices very affordable, food is delicious! Outstanding fish and chips, crab cake appetizers should have been warmer. Great French Dip. Creative burgers. Wonderful old building with rich history tastefully decorated. Beer selection outstanding! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So nice. Had to go twice.KeyGripWifeDined on 7/26/2014Visiting for a short time. There were so many great options. Packs was the most amazing. The service and great food kept us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Color-rificlowcountryncDined on 7/26/2014Had reservations after the ColorRun2014 - Group of 14, outdoor dining, kids could go out the gate to play in the water area while waiting for food. Beer was cold, food was hot and tasty. Servers were prompt and nice. Definitely would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pack's was the ticketOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014We were looking for a casual place for dinner on our first night in Asheville. Picked Pack's off the Yelp web site and was not dissappointed. Varied menu, very good quality food, great service. Only complaint was noise level. There was a solo artist playing guitar. She was good, but WAY too loud. We should not have to shout over the music just to have a conversation. Would recommend to others and go back ourselves next time in town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PackerbackerDined on 7/22/2014Our food was tasty. Service not so good. The main dish for one of the eight in our party came out before the salads for everyone else. Then when the rest got our meals they were warm - not hot. Our server was not attentive. It took him 10 minutes to come back to our table to get payment after dropping off the bill. On a side note, we started our dinner outside and rain come out of nowhere. They did a good job or re-seating us inside.Special Features:
- Large family lunchCharlestonBrideVIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food, great variety on the menu, service for a large group was a little slowSpecial Features:
- Delighted to have reservationsWife2Dined on 7/12/2014The food was worth waiting for, but because we had made reservations, we were seated right away, walking past many people waiting for a table. Their ribs were wonderful, and friend said the salad was good.Special Features:
- Pack's Tavern packs awesomenessGhostactorDined on 7/11/2014Since moving to Asheville a fortnight ago, my girlfriend and I have yet to have a negative dining experience in our awesome new town, and Pack's was certainly no exception. Great food, excellent and friendly service, tasty local brews, and a great place to pick up the Trolley Ghost Tour and the Pubcycle! We'll be back...you've been warned. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.