20 South Spruce Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.packstavern.com/
- Phone: 8282256944x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Edwin French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call 828-225-6944 for Catering - large or small!
- Entertainment: We have live music or a DJ every Thursday through Saturday.
- Special Events: Our beautiful Century Room is perfect for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, corporate parties and other private functions with a capacity of 50 - 250! Our South Bar is a casual area for large group lunches or dinners that may or may not need to be totally private (maximum capacity 60).
A word from Pack's Tavern
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville and housed in the historic Hayes Hopson building, Pack’s Tavern offers outstanding service, the best drinks in town, and a large eclectic menu of over 60 items; everything from signature salads to hand-pattied burgers, from wonderful appetizers to fresh cut steaks and seafood in a friendly, hospitable atmosphere. All to be enjoyed in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Asheville’s newly renovated Pack Square Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Pack's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Pack's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (46)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (30)great for lunch (29)great for outdoor dining (28)kid-friendly (27)hot spot (19)fit for foodies (17)late-night find (11)special occasion (8)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)romantic (1)Show More
- Good foodGdyufhjjhgDined on 10/19/2014We ate an excelent dinner and were superbly served by EricSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sports venueOM1979VIPDined on 10/18/2014Great service and food. Excellent venue for watching sports.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesMamasueDined on 10/17/2014Good food, great place to take our guests and then roam the streets of Asheville. Good times. Never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - For Kids, TooFourSeafoodersDined on 10/8/2014Not often are there bars with good kid food - great place for families visiting Asheville looking for something simple and reliable. Nice neighborhood, too, right next to the police and fire station! :-)Special Features:
- WAY TOO LOUDFarTooLoudDined on 10/4/2014I love the food and the service at Pack's Tavern but have become more wary of going because of the "far too loud" music playing in the background. We made reservations for a table of 9 prior to a show at Asheville Community Theater, bringing friends together to "catch up" with each other and have a few laughs....none of that happened as after screaming across the table for 15 minutes, everyone ate as fast as possible so we could leave and hear each other. I can TRULY say that I could not hear either person sitting immediately beside me on either side.Special Features:
- Pack's packs on flavor and service!NycdiletantesVIPDined on 9/30/2014We met a large group of newcomer friends at Pack's on a recent Tuesday night. We could have met even more, as we were set up in a very large room. (We had been told they could accommodate up to 60. I'm not sure what our numbers actually were, but clearly less than that.) Three servers were assigned specifically for our group, and they did a terrific job. Friendly, accurate, personable service. I was a little hesitant to order crab cakes, as we are in a landlocked location, but I wanted to try them. Our server reassured me by saying they're a crowd favorite. They were delicious; I'll have the second one for my lunch today. They were accompanied by a tasty potato salad and brussels sprouts. Yum all around!Special Features:
- WoodboxOldoakshomeDined on 9/19/2014Pack's Tavern is a favorite place of ours to dine. It has reasonable prices for great food, fun staff who make us feel welcome and is in the center of activity in Asheville. We can park, dine and walk to everywhere we wish to go. When people ask where a fun, great place to go is in Asheville, we are the first to say Packs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a chance - glad we did!jkayDined on 9/19/2014Our group of 8 had no personal reference for the tavern; however, we were all delighted with our choice. I had crab cakes, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts and my meal was perfect! Several of us had the crab cakes and all were very pleased with our choice - lots of crabmeat and less of the fillers you often find. Also, the mashed potatoes were very good - a step up from the usual mashed potatoes. When we visit Asheville again, Packs Tavern will be on list of places to visit. Reservations are recommended as this is a busy place.Special Features:
- Ambiance great-food good, bar-greatjustruthDined on 9/19/2014Very cool looking place. Service is excellent. Our food was good but nothing special...we ordered the chicken wings and the salmon dish. We looked at other tables and many people had ordered burgers and they looked fantastic. Parking was easy. Easy walk to town where there is all sorts of things happening!Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014We Love Packs Tavern. We had an exceptional time this visit. Our Server, Stuart, was absolutely fantastic! Stuart really made our experience memorable. If you go anywhere, you MUST visit packs. I'm a local and we go as often as possible. There were 8 of us plus a baby, and Stuart made us all feel right at home! Can't wait to go back for the amazing RIBS! Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tavern foodDebsterDined on 9/6/2014We had party of 6. We were seated right away, but tried to put us in a booth. Not working. We requested a table and it was not a problem. Service was good. Food is typical pub fare , prepared nicely. Was quite noisy during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We ate outside so the noise level was not an issue as it is inside. The waiter was wonderful and the food was delicious, and a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love everything about Pack'sLoritaDined on 9/1/2014I took my whole family out to lunch (ages ranging 3-70) at Pack's, and everyone LOVED it. It's a gorgeous building with fascinating architecture and history, and a very comfortable, laid-back but still refined vibe. Our server, Jin, was world class. Charming, knowledgeable, and quick, he anticipated our needs and kept us all happy, without ever hovering. Most of us had the burgers -- I'd suggest ordering it medium, as the cooks seemed to lean toward slightly more done. The sweet potato fries are outstanding, as are the pickle chips, the red pepper aioli, and garlic aioli. The fish tacos are a hands-down winner in every way, and the beer selection made me want to hang out all afternoon. Go to Packs. Take your friends/fam. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlatRockMikeDined on 8/29/2014A great place for relaxing after work with good service and a full plate of food. The only drawback if you're coming from out of town is parking. The restaurant is surrounded by police and fire employee parking. I recommend spending $5 and park in the public garage a block away and right in the middle of the Pack Square activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambience and good beerbwstoneDined on 8/27/2014I thoroughly enjoyed a sampler of NC beers. The menu is extensive and the food well prepared. In a city that specializes in specialties, it was good to have a more varied menu. Also, the beer selection was ample, so we were able to sample many different breweries in one stop. Our new waitperson was delightful and worked to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Great food, great old building ambience, excellent service. No complaints at all from our group of 9. The chicken tenders were raved about from everyone who had them. Our server (can't remember her name but it was Sunday night at 7, 8/24) went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. would definitely return.Special Features:
- First rate all aroundBenjyCompsonDined on 8/16/2014Part of a perfect outdoor Asheville evening. They even arranged for good weather!Special Features:
- Better than normal bar foodJEPEatinoutVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great pre shindig in the green spot. The food was great and our server was fantastic. This is a fun spot in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceVikingNCDined on 8/9/2014We arrived a little early for our reservation and were seated immediately. Server was excellent, food excellent, service fast. Noise level is always a bit high here, it was tolerable but Pack's Tavern is not a quiet place! We recommend it for lunch or evenings.Special Features:
- Country2ConcreteDined on 8/7/2014Great tavern atmosphere in the heart of Asheville. Loved this restaurant, and will definitely be returning. Highly recommend the Carolina Burger & Fried PicklesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meatloafDinnerHereB4ACTDined on 8/7/2014The Bison meatloaf is excellent. The service is always efficient and friendly. A convenient place to eat prior to attending the Asheville Community Theater (ACT) as it's a short walk to the theater.Special Features:
- easy to walk tomilkshakeDined on 7/28/2014It was easy to walk to but nothing spectacular. If you are buying beers, its your place. Family dinner its okay. Buying a milkshake, you have to wait, wait, wait.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place, great foodFromSwitzerlandDined on 7/26/2014We ate there two times. We loved the place for its ambience. It was very vibrant. Service was great. We were there with our 9 year old daughter and she liked it. Try the red wine and the baby back ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomicusDined on 7/26/2014Great menu selection; something for everyone. Prices very affordable, food is delicious! Outstanding fish and chips, crab cake appetizers should have been warmer. Great French Dip. Creative burgers. Wonderful old building with rich history tastefully decorated. Beer selection outstanding! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So nice. Had to go twice.KeyGripWifeDined on 7/26/2014Visiting for a short time. There were so many great options. Packs was the most amazing. The service and great food kept us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Color-rificlowcountryncDined on 7/26/2014Had reservations after the ColorRun2014 - Group of 14, outdoor dining, kids could go out the gate to play in the water area while waiting for food. Beer was cold, food was hot and tasty. Servers were prompt and nice. Definitely would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pack's was the ticketOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014We were looking for a casual place for dinner on our first night in Asheville. Picked Pack's off the Yelp web site and was not dissappointed. Varied menu, very good quality food, great service. Only complaint was noise level. There was a solo artist playing guitar. She was good, but WAY too loud. We should not have to shout over the music just to have a conversation. Would recommend to others and go back ourselves next time in town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PackerbackerDined on 7/22/2014Our food was tasty. Service not so good. The main dish for one of the eight in our party came out before the salads for everyone else. Then when the rest got our meals they were warm - not hot. Our server was not attentive. It took him 10 minutes to come back to our table to get payment after dropping off the bill. On a side note, we started our dinner outside and rain come out of nowhere. They did a good job or re-seating us inside.Special Features:
- Large family lunchCharlestonBrideVIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food, great variety on the menu, service for a large group was a little slowSpecial Features:
- Delighted to have reservationsWife2Dined on 7/12/2014The food was worth waiting for, but because we had made reservations, we were seated right away, walking past many people waiting for a table. Their ribs were wonderful, and friend said the salad was good.Special Features:
- Pack's Tavern packs awesomenessGhostactorDined on 7/11/2014Since moving to Asheville a fortnight ago, my girlfriend and I have yet to have a negative dining experience in our awesome new town, and Pack's was certainly no exception. Great food, excellent and friendly service, tasty local brews, and a great place to pick up the Trolley Ghost Tour and the Pubcycle! We'll be back...you've been warned. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceEatingBearDined on 7/9/2014Love Pack's! We had a great time dining with friends and the staff made it happen in a snap. Service was fast and friendly and the outdoor patio was perfect with very pleasant views of Pack Square Park. Excellant selection of cocktails, beers and wines. The fried pickle chips were superb and my Beet Salad was great. The entire menu is yummy. We go to Pack's often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed on a Monday night!NycdiletantesVIPDined on 7/7/2014We have been to Pack's Tavern many times. This time, we had to ask to be moved from our initial table because of a raucous table game behind us. Then, settled into our booth, we started our meal with a Caprese pesto, an appetizer of fried green tomatoes served with fresh mozzarella and pesto. It was quite tasty. My husband had a perfectly cooked rib eye steak with hot, crisp French fries. His entrée was accompanied by a Caesar salad, also good. My grilled Atlantic salmon was also perfectly cooked, but lacking in flavor. Its accompaniment of jasmine rice had no flavor at all, not even a hint of salt. The sautéed squash and zucchini was much more flavorful than either the rice or the salmon. Our server, Amanda, was prompt and pleasant.Special Features:
- Best drink in AshevilleAmberVIPDined on 7/6/2014In a town known for great food, Packs Tavern has been overlooked! Fried green tomatoes appetizer rivals many others in Asheville!!! But the house coctail-- a frozen orange concoction is not to be missed on a hot afternoon!! Outside tables overlook a beautiful park, sprinkled with fountains, families, and fun. Great place to sit, relax and people watch!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute stopDP69Dined on 7/3/2014Good fish and chips, good spinach artichoke dip, excellent strawberry pecan chicken salad, great Mac and cheese, quick efficient serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service decent foodJuliaVIPDined on 7/1/2014We were seated with no silverware and no one came to even offer us water for at least 10 minutes. Once the server finally arrived and took our drink order, she seemed preoccupied she had to come back to ask us what we had. We get our drinks , place our food order of the Thai salad and the chicken salad. We both asked for dressing on the side. When our food came my husband's dressing was on his salad and I had no dressing at all. Not to mention we had no silverware and had to ask the hostess to bring us water. We got our own silverware from the booth behind us. Overall it was terrible service. Which is sad because this place is in a great location. Perhaps because it is in a great location they feel they don't have to give great service .
- Great find!YummybitsDined on 7/1/2014Charming, kid friendly spot with lots of elbow room. Food was great, service delightful and love the history behind the location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 77 reviews are from the Pack's Tavern reviews archive.
- A perfect experience by all...Sunflowers69Dined on 6/22/2014Our reservations were at 4pm. We were right on time. Seated immediately to our table. Our waiter was right in que. He provided us with professional and courteous service from start to finish. Our food was delicious from the appetizer to dessert. We would definitely make reservations to come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pack TaverndopeteDined on 6/20/2014We had a great time at Pack Tavern -excellent food and good service at very reasonable prices. Very popular restaurant in Asheville with great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014We typically go to the same restaurant every week for our date night. We had a little extra time so decided to go to Packs after looking at the menu online. The closer for us was also the fact that there were plenty of tvs to watch the world cup. We were seated immediately. Our server was knowledgeable and very gracious. The food was awesome and my husband lived the drink special. Thanks Packs Tavern it was a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.