Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar
10335 - 83rd Ave
Edmonton, AB T6E 2C6Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.packratlouie.com/
- Phone: (780) 433-0123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For groups of 20-50, we reserve the lounge area completely. We offer sit down 3-6 course dining, as well as cocktail party style with hors d'oeuvres and beverage service.
- Private Party Contact: Jon Elson 7804330123x
A word from Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar
Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar, located in the heart of the Old Strathcona district, offers a menu as distinct as its name. European- inspired dishes and a stellar wine list make Packrat an absolute must for casual dining with friends, business lunches, cocktails in the lounge or as a start to a memorable evening. Signature dishes include the rack of lamb, prosciutto-wrapped giant prawns, arctic char, wood-fired gourmet pizzas and a revolving selection of decadent desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Old Strathcona ›
Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (58)special occasion (53)good for groups (47)romantic (33)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (23)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (16)late-night find (13)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Never disappointedHungrygakVIPDined on 11/21/2014Always consistent with their food and service. Not high end, but a great casual restaurant. Our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was not disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014recommended by a friend and he was spot on. Took my wife here for her birthday as she is a fish or pasta gal. well the selections were some of the best we have seen in E-town. Starters and mains were great and desert was filling!.in our top 5 for Edmonton now and can't wait to treat others here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food/Outstanding Service2coolDined on 11/8/2014The food was flavorful, delicious and overall had excellent presentation! The customer service was quick, responsive, and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Great Food!Wonderful service. A little close to the front door so it was cool, but not uncomfortably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and Refreshing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Absolutely wonderful atmosphere, meets refreshing menu choices. Not the usual pick a meat or pasta type of menu. Great variety and beautifully plated dishes. Serving staff are accommodating, courteous and professional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ordinary, unfriendly waitressFoodieDined on 10/31/2014My soup was not that good and could have been warmer and the waitress was not v attentive and gave impression she didn't like her job. Not at all ready to please.Special Features:
- ServiceamazingserviceDined on 10/28/2014The service made the experience as well as the food. Having a good server who is attentive and thinks about things before you do is a great asset. The woman who worked Tuesday evening around 6pm was amazing!Special Features:
- Excellent foodConcordiaClubDined on 10/28/2014Went for a birthday dinner. Best feature was the food. Tries to come off as fine dining but does not have all the qualities. Service was mediocre - it felt like our server was almost running to too many tables. Unfortunately our round table was in the middle of the room near the open kitchen so we were in the traffic flow. Menu changes were brought to us after we ordered and server was confused as to who ordered what for our group of five. Wine list is pricier than other restaurants in area and edmonton. Food was delicious and flavourful with reasonably sized portions. Arctic char was perfectly cooked and nice to see more fish than rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!LolaVIPDined on 10/28/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food is delicious and perfectly served. The service is very good. Everything is high quality.
- EdmontonfoodieDined on 10/23/2014I have always enjoyed dining at Packrat's. I like the food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- Terrific!ArchDined on 10/22/2014The food was amazing! I had the Chicken Supreme and I'm glad I did. Mouth Watering! The entire group of 6 enjoyed their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfactoryjccaDined on 10/17/2014Had supper here on Friday October 18. Service was friendly. Appetizers came out fairly quickly. We were a little bit underwhelmed with the charcuterie plate. The blue cheese was tasty but goat cheese was too big in portion and almost tasteless. Accompaniments were fine but not inventive by any means. Entrees were a mixed review. Vegetarian pizza was reported as tasty as was the Arctic char. Pork shoulder was a little stringy. By far the biggest disappointment was the beef tenderloin. First off it was anything but tender and required sawing through. Seconly it arrived lukewarm at the table. Thirdly, I personally felt it was over seasoned and had too much spinach puree for the dish. We will not return.
- a little lateJdawg64Dined on 10/16/2014Food was great, waitress great, but an hour and forty to get your food ridiculous! Credit to the waitress they covered our drinks, but eating dinner in ten minutes to make the comedy festival show really put a damper on the eveningSpecial Features:
- Disappointing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014The food was disappointing but the service was excellent. It lacked creativity and flavor. I don't know if they have a new chef because people in Edmonton rave about this place. The tendon wasn't pulled from the back of the rack of lamb so it was impossible to cut through and well gross. It was served with charred cauliflower with no flavor and tater tots... really? Our server however was excellent. When we talked to him about the rack of lamb, he took it back and brought out fresh prawns wrapped in prosciutto. The duck carpaccio was delicious but the garnishes and sauce could have used more thought. I did like how they would let you cork your wine and take it home as well and they have an excellent wine list.
- Quite noiseyfiddlestixDined on 10/5/2014The food was terrific and the service was very good. However, the ambiance, due to the noise of other diners, made it necessary to nearly shout to each other. I think some noise baffles would be good idea.Special Features:
- Great food, not-so-great servicedynahthirstDined on 10/4/2014It was a Saturday night, to be fair. We started with wine and the scallop and pork belly appetizer - the scallops were probably the best either of us has ever had. I then had the Arctic Char and my companion had the beef tenderloin. All of the food was amazing and incredibly well-balanced. Every bite was a symphony of taste. We then moved on to the sticky toffee pudding for dessert which, again, was probably the best one we've ever had. Our only issue was that we were left alone for quite awhile between our entree plates being removed and even being offered the dessert menu. I had to stop someone to ask for more water and our waiter passed us several times before checking in with us. The food was good enough to salvage the night, though.Special Features:
- Got the Bum's RushNightoutDined on 10/4/2014Asked if we would leave, the next reservation needs to be sitted (never happened to any of us before!). I thought the request might be tied to the lack of booze ordered, 2 out 4 had a beer with our meal, no wine.
- Mostly goodbubsDined on 10/3/2014Attentive service. Bison tenderloin was good. Black bean soup was tasty but wasn't very warmSpecial Features:
- One of the best YEG restaurantsYumkrisVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food was excellent, with well thought out and complex dishes. The dessert was delicious as well. Can't wait to come back to try sonething elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over and aboveELakoVIPDined on 9/27/2014We made this reservation last minute when we realized we didn't have one and were meeting friends for dinner. Our table was a bit late when we got there and so the Manager(Jarred) comp'ed us drinks and appetizers for the inconvenience. Over and above is what I say! The servers were amazing, and the food even better! this place seems to get better and better every time I go. thanks!Special Features:
- Dinner at Packrat LouisRichardDined on 9/23/2014The food was outstanding. The halibut dish was one of the tastiest I have ever had. My one concern is that the person who accompanied me has a very low speaking voice, and it was hard to hear her because of the noise level. At times it seemed they were playing music. If so, maybe they should shut it off so as to subtract from the total noise.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014The food at Packrat Louie was outstanding, the person serving us was also outstanding. The only issue was the kitchen on this night was really slow.Special Features:
- Jenn2eatDined on 9/21/2014Really awesome evening! We left absolutely stuffed. My boyfriend got the prime rib which was the daily special it was unreal, and you have to always add scallops they are just the best. We enjoyed two different wines recommended by our awesome server THANKS DANIEL. She really made our evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BCGuyDined on 9/21/2014On a recent visit to Edmonton, we ate twice at Packrat Louie. Both times we were impressed by the interesting, creative, well prepared food coupled with the good service. I believe that there are few if any other restaurants in the entire length of Whyte Avenue that would measure up to PL.Special Features:
- Amazing!chuckleheadDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I wanted to try something new for our anniversary dinner. Someone showed opentable.com to me and from there I found Packrat Louie's. The food, the drinks, the atmosphere and the service were all fantastic which made for a really memorable experience.Special Features:
- Great for BusinessOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2014I decided to meet clients for lunch at Packrats. I had the smoked duck lunch feature and it was excellent. My clients tried dishes from the menu and they were very happy with their choices. It was an overall excellent experience. I will definitely be eating lunch at Packrats again soon!Special Features:
- Good; could be even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/8/2014As always, the food was good. Couple of suggestions/observations, though: - It shouldn't take 45 minutes to be served lunch, particularly when only 8 tables were active. By the time we were done, our stay exceeded two hours (bring lots of loonies for the parking meter). - While it's difficult to rid a restaurant of flies, having them buzz one's guests is rather distractingSpecial Features:
- still goodChipDined on 9/6/2014It's been 9 years since we have been to Packrat but food and service is still top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and won't be the lastYegfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Great service, really nice atmosphere. Lamb seemed a little undercooked. Otherwise was a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRL -food and atmosphereHappy1Dined on 9/3/2014The food was good, but the server was challenged as she had a lot to do. The noise level from a table close by made it uncomfortable to talk.Special Features:
- CateDined on 8/30/2014We always enjoy our evenings at Packrat Louie's. The food is always interesting - even the vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, some I ffy serviceLola57Dined on 8/28/2014Chose Packrat Louie for a special occasion lunch as I had a wonderful dinner experience a few months ago. Our food was all delicious, but our waitress was unfriendly and clearly annoyed to be working that day, which put a bit of a damper on the experience. The food also took over an hour, which surprised as the restaurant was less than half full. Would still return, but probably at dinner time, and try to avoid this particular snotty waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artic char perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Light lovely simple yet complex harmonious flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Summer evening !perfectnightDined on 8/26/2014We chose Packrat Louie's to celebrate our 42 Anniversary and were thrilled to find the outdoor patio available on a perfect summer evening. The weather was perfect, the music was delightful, the service was wonderful and the food was delicious. Thank you for a memorable occasion !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommend!LovetoeatDined on 8/23/2014The service was great, our drinks never emptied, and plates weren't on the table long after finishing. The food was fantastic. I would highly recommend Pakrat Louie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlgyDined on 8/17/2014We went for our anniversary dinner between shows at the Fringe. Excellent service, always attentive but not smothering. Good wine selection and a pleasing variety of beer. The "Chefs soup" was wonderful, enquire as it appears to change regularly. One braised pork entree and one prawn entree, both of which were excellent. We were given plenty of time to enjoy a drink while making our selections and appreciated the pause between courses to enjoy the atmosphere. You don't have to break the bank to have a great meal here. Seeing the Hawaiian pizza with boar bacon on the menu guarantees a return visit.Special Features:
- Outstanding!ImpressedDined on 8/17/2014Hosted a 50th birthday and I was able to drop the cake off and gift and decorations and the staff looked after it for me and the birthday person was none the wiser. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TippingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014It's presumptuous to start your tipping option at 18%, especially when our server was not worthy of that. I guess you're hoping people don't hit the "Other" button.Special Features:
- amazing as alwayskammyDined on 8/9/2014Yet another great visit, wonderful service, ambiance and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Evening Had!MrsTDined on 8/9/2014From the friendly host when I first walked in, all the way to receiving the bill, our first experience at Packrat Louie was fantastic! Between the 4 of us we sampled a very good cross section of the menu - 2 cocktails, 2 wines, 1 scotch, & 1 champagne. We had 2 appetizers, 1 salad, 1 pizza, 4 entrees, and every dessert on the menu- and we loved it all! There was a bit of a wait before ordering starters, and then again before ordering dinner, but I'm pretty sure that's because I was so involved in checking out the extensive wine list! I believe we have the impression that we were in no rush, which we weren't, and still anytime we asked for something, it arrived promptly. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.