Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar
10335 - 83rd Ave
Edmonton, AB T6E 2C6Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.packratlouie.com/
- Phone: 7804330123x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For groups of 20-50, we reserve the lounge area completely. We offer sit down 3-6 course dining, as well as cocktail party style with hors d'oeuvres and beverage service.
- Private Party Contact: Jon Elson 7804330123x
A word from Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar
Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar, located in the heart of the Old Strathcona district, offers a menu as distinct as its name. European- inspired dishes and a stellar wine list make Packrat an absolute must for casual dining with friends, business lunches, cocktails in the lounge or as a start to a memorable evening. Signature dishes include the rack of lamb, prosciutto-wrapped giant prawns, arctic char, wood-fired gourmet pizzas and a revolving selection of decadent desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Packrat Louie Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (100)fit for foodies (96)neighborhood gem (91)romantic (63)good for groups (61)notable wine list (51)great for lunch (43)great for outdoor dining (43)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (14)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Jenn2eatDined on 9/21/2014Really awesome evening! We left absolutely stuffed. My boyfriend got the prime rib which was the daily special it was unreal, and you have to always add scallops they are just the best. We enjoyed two different wines recommended by our awesome server THANKS DANIEL. She really made our evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!chuckleheadDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I wanted to try something new for our anniversary dinner. Someone showed opentable.com to me and from there I found Packrat Louie's. The food, the drinks, the atmosphere and the service were all fantastic which made for a really memorable experience.Special Features:
- Great for BusinessOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2014I decided to meet clients for lunch at Packrats. I had the smoked duck lunch feature and it was excellent. My clients tried dishes from the menu and they were very happy with their choices. It was an overall excellent experience. I will definitely be eating lunch at Packrats again soon!Special Features:
- Good; could be even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/8/2014As always, the food was good. Couple of suggestions/observations, though: - It shouldn't take 45 minutes to be served lunch, particularly when only 8 tables were active. By the time we were done, our stay exceeded two hours (bring lots of loonies for the parking meter). - While it's difficult to rid a restaurant of flies, having them buzz one's guests is rather distractingSpecial Features:
- still goodChipDined on 9/6/2014It's been 9 years since we have been to Packrat but food and service is still top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and won't be the lastYegfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Great service, really nice atmosphere. Lamb seemed a little undercooked. Otherwise was a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRL -food and atmosphereHappy1Dined on 9/3/2014The food was good, but the server was challenged as she had a lot to do. The noise level from a table close by made it uncomfortable to talk.Special Features:
- CateDined on 8/30/2014We always enjoy our evenings at Packrat Louie's. The food is always interesting - even the vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, some I ffy serviceLola57Dined on 8/28/2014Chose Packrat Louie for a special occasion lunch as I had a wonderful dinner experience a few months ago. Our food was all delicious, but our waitress was unfriendly and clearly annoyed to be working that day, which put a bit of a damper on the experience. The food also took over an hour, which surprised as the restaurant was less than half full. Would still return, but probably at dinner time, and try to avoid this particular snotty waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artic char perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Light lovely simple yet complex harmonious flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Summer evening !perfectnightDined on 8/26/2014We chose Packrat Louie's to celebrate our 42 Anniversary and were thrilled to find the outdoor patio available on a perfect summer evening. The weather was perfect, the music was delightful, the service was wonderful and the food was delicious. Thank you for a memorable occasion !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommend!LovetoeatDined on 8/23/2014The service was great, our drinks never emptied, and plates weren't on the table long after finishing. The food was fantastic. I would highly recommend Pakrat Louie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlgyDined on 8/17/2014We went for our anniversary dinner between shows at the Fringe. Excellent service, always attentive but not smothering. Good wine selection and a pleasing variety of beer. The "Chefs soup" was wonderful, enquire as it appears to change regularly. One braised pork entree and one prawn entree, both of which were excellent. We were given plenty of time to enjoy a drink while making our selections and appreciated the pause between courses to enjoy the atmosphere. You don't have to break the bank to have a great meal here. Seeing the Hawaiian pizza with boar bacon on the menu guarantees a return visit.Special Features:
- Outstanding!ImpressedDined on 8/17/2014Hosted a 50th birthday and I was able to drop the cake off and gift and decorations and the staff looked after it for me and the birthday person was none the wiser. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TippingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014It's presumptuous to start your tipping option at 18%, especially when our server was not worthy of that. I guess you're hoping people don't hit the "Other" button.Special Features:
- amazing as alwayskammyDined on 8/9/2014Yet another great visit, wonderful service, ambiance and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Evening Had!MrsTDined on 8/9/2014From the friendly host when I first walked in, all the way to receiving the bill, our first experience at Packrat Louie was fantastic! Between the 4 of us we sampled a very good cross section of the menu - 2 cocktails, 2 wines, 1 scotch, & 1 champagne. We had 2 appetizers, 1 salad, 1 pizza, 4 entrees, and every dessert on the menu- and we loved it all! There was a bit of a wait before ordering starters, and then again before ordering dinner, but I'm pretty sure that's because I was so involved in checking out the extensive wine list! I believe we have the impression that we were in no rush, which we weren't, and still anytime we asked for something, it arrived promptly. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stillrocksDined on 8/2/2014Great experience on a beautiful summer's night. Noise level better on the patio than in the restaurant. Food, as always, outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!FoodLoverDined on 7/31/2014Air conditioning didn't seem to be working but floor fans were abundant. The beef tenderloin was exceptional as was the Arctic Char, the halibut and the chicken. The server was available and there when needed but not hovering at all. The wine list provided a very good variety for all tastes. A wonderful experience overall - we are sure to be back!Special Features:
- Amazing birthday lunch!meplustheeDined on 7/31/2014My girlfriend and I enjoyed great service during our FOUR hour lunch this week. We were particularly enchanted with your corn chowder as soup of the day. We followed that with two great salads because we wanted to leave room for your famous dessert menu, which we also just loved (we ordered two different ones ... the stick pudding and the toblerone chocolate one, and shared them both!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackVIPDined on 7/29/2014Charlotte and the staff did a great job in accomodating our last minute request for a patio spot on a busy night. Another great experience. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- New Chef ?beachgirlDined on 7/26/2014Saturday evening, anniversary dinner for friends. Packrat has been a staple in Edmonton for years - the meal was fantastic. Four fish dishes, IN Edmonton, prepared perfectly - really really amazingly well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolDined on 7/25/2014Very accommodating of my gluten free diet. Great halibut dish, with the risotto!Special Features:
- Summer patio in Old StrathconaandyDined on 7/22/2014A party of 9 of us recently had lunch on the patio. Perfect day and very positive experience. Nicely accommodated us at the same table set under a curving screen that blocked the midday sun. Waiter was friendly and efficient. Smoked tuna pizza was fresh and tasty as was the shrimp pizza. Food brought promptly, water glasses constantly refilled. Reasonable price. The patio area is quite large and across from the park and Walterdale Theatre (Fire Hall). Street ambiance. There is a parking are behind the patio but it is screened off and not too intrusive. Comfortable lunch experience on a perfect day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie4lifeDined on 7/19/2014Food wasn't as good as in previous times. Portions were smaller and overall the food wasn't as good. The menu is smaller too so many of my favourites are no longer offered. This used to be my favourite restaurant but unfortunately I won't be going back anytime soon.
- justicejVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a remarkably good meal here Great advantage if you are going to Varsona theatre it is 2 minutes away the soup was exquisite and the main course was great . unfortunately the noise level is very high do not go there for conversation but the food was greatSpecial Features:
- Wont be back for awhileluv2drinkwineVIPDined on 7/17/2014Was very unhappy with the change in the menu mainly the Ceaser Salad and don't waste your money on the new chicken thighs appetizer. Pizza was good as always but there was a cook who kept putting his fingers in his mouth and then touches the food.Special Features:
- djtmDined on 7/17/2014Staff were friendly, very good to accommodate our request for another table, as original table was wobbly. We had: Caesar salad had a unique good flavor, but not enough dressing, as half of the lettuce was plain with no dressing on it at all, was my disappointment of this dining experience. The Hawaiian pizza was quite tasty, the chicken supreme was interesting with the ingredients, tasted quite good. Our group really enjoyed the complimentary bread and butter, which was exceptionally good. Overall, the food was good, but overpriced for what you are getting. The service was very good.
- Good MenuBarbaraDined on 7/17/2014I especially love your lemon pizza!! Packrat Louie is one of our favourite places to dine. The service is excellent, the ambience is warm and tasteful.Special Features:
- Satisfied palateYummy4mytummyDined on 7/16/2014We stuck with the left side of the menu. We ordered Tomato Caprese salad, Florentine & Tuna Pizzas, & finished with a Lemon Tart. Simple, yet so fabulously flavourful in all its creations. Our server was friendly, refreshingly honest & very likeable. He definitely added to our first time experience at Pack Rat Louis'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packrat LouieGeminiDined on 7/16/2014This is our favourite local restaurant. We have been coming here for many years for the dependable relaxed experience, with friendly service, great food and good choice of wines by the glass. The saffron risotto with prawns was delicious. Sometimes we come for the famous thin pizza and a glass of wine. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RestoDiva2014RestoDiva2014Dined on 7/16/2014Very good food and good service. Great place for friends to sit and catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most of the right notesPogoJDined on 7/15/2014Packrat is still hitting most of the right notes. The starters, pizzas and desserts are mostly excellent. I don't often bother with the main course offerings, as I find them a bit pricey. The room is pleasant. The service is excellent. And there is no music played on the restaurant side, which is a very welcome departure; just the sounds of diners enjoying themselves and the kitchen working.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go againLove2dineDined on 7/15/2014I have been to packrat before and had a great time years ago, the other evening was not the same. First off they didn't have AC, and the temperature out side was 'feels like 34' all they had were fans. I found te fans distracting and the place hot and uncomfortable. Although the food was good, it was extremely over priced!!! My husband and I love to dine and have been to places all over the city and found for what they offer it's very expensive. I would rather spend money like that on local food that has a more unique flare to it.
- Mediocre food but overpriced!PalmsDined on 7/15/2014I had a Groupon to try this restaurant out, which I'm grateful for as the food definitely wasn't worth the price! My friend ordered a pasta dish, which had one flavour - salty. I ordered the shrimp and for $30, you get 4 shrimp that had no flavour and were a bit on the rubbery side. It came with a cup of saffron risotto, that was also salty. The only redeeming quality of the restaurant was my friend commented on her meal and the waiter brought us dessert on the house. Won't likely be returning and can't recommened it.
- Great service and lovely atmosphereHollyGoDarklyDined on 7/14/2014First time here for my husband and myself. We loved the building and the decor--brick and wine corks, comfortably dim lighting, not too loud. A great win in the ambiance department. Our server was fantastic. Friendly, but not fake. And she let us know that Monday is 1/2 price bottles of wine, so we got a whole bottle for what we'd've paid for just 2 glasses. (All the other servers I observed seemed equally stellar.) The food was quite good. I had scallops that were just a bit sandy, but that was my only issue. My husband loved his wood-fired pizza. We would definitely return for a date-night repeat!Special Features:
- Great little place!MissDuchessDined on 7/14/2014I went here on a Monday night with my boyfriend. We ordered the spicy Hawaiian pizza and the prawns; both were fantastic! The pizza especially was a very pleasant surprise, the crust was cooked just right, there was lots of cheese and the boar bacon was crispy and very tasty. The prawns were also very good. The saffron risotto was tasty but we found that it wasn't as creamy as a risotto should be. OUr server was very nice but she was not a professional as we would like to see at such an upscale restaurant, we didn't mind much because we are very laid back but some people may not like it much. Overall, we were very satisfied with our entire experience and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- IMPRESSEDROUGAROUDined on 7/14/2014Did not know what to expect, first time there, impressed. Soup of the day was very good (tomato a la creme) and homemade. I had the pork shoulder smoked and braised, it was very good but I wished that there was more of it (a little skimpy). My wife had the Arctic Char, I tasted it and it was to die for, excellent! Excellent! I made the wrong choice that evening but we will be back to try other goodies! The peach sangria that my wife had was so amazing that she ordered another. The waitress, her name was Darrah was efficient, not pushy, gave us lots of time to enjoy the meal. She was fun to talk and joke around with. When we do come back we most definitely want to seat in her section.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerMulletteDined on 7/12/2014Went to Pack Rat Louie's for dinner Saturday night and was very disappointed with the food. Server was busy, but the appetizers came out before we got our drinks, second drink order took the same amount of time. Friendly server though. Overall the food wasn't great - especially for the price point. The restaurant needs interior updating. Great location though, could be a decent dinner destination.
- Great little gem!FoodieturnedchefDined on 7/10/2014This place is great! I've been here multiple times and everyone I've recommended it to has loved it. It's a little on the pricey side but great atmosphere and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.