Pacific's Edge Restaurant
120 Highlands Drive
Carmel, CA 93923Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Pacific's Edge Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pacificsedge.com/
- Phone: 8316225445
- Hours of Operation:
Come early and enjoy one of our seasonal hand crafted cocktails from 3:30 PM daily in our Sunset and Lounges overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Dinner service begins from 5:30 PM until the end of January 2013 then from 6PM in February onwards. There is a full ocean view from every single table, however diners with early reservations will have the best chance to obtain a table next to the western wall of glass. Reservations are very strongly recommended to avoid disappointment.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Bolton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: The Wine Room at Pacific's Edge Ideal for wedding receptions or corporate group events, our Private Dining Room will wrap its guests with warmth and beauty as they view the majesty of the Big Sur coastline. Glass enclosed for privacy, the Wine Room can seat up to 40 guests and provides personal service for the ultimate dining experience. Let Executive Chef Matt Bolton delight you with his culinary expertise and artistic creations.
To book, contact one of our sales professionals on 831.622.5445
- Private Party Facilities: If you wish, close our floor-to-ceiling glass doors for full privacy, and still enjoy the awesome view of Yankee Point and Yankee Cove just below. We can delight up to 40 guests in our sky lighted Wine Room. Impress your group with world class wines, cuisine and service in a truly memorable setting. Any and all amenities and special services may be arranged. Perfect for business groups and/or life's most memorable occasions.
- Private Party Contact: McKenna Harris (831) 622-5486
- Entertainment: Come and listen to the stylish voice of Neal Banks and contemporary guitar of Steve Ezzo every Friday night in the Lobos Lounge from 7:00pm to 10:00pm beginning February 2013. Lee Durley and Joe Indence of the Easy Street Band have been delighting music lovers and dancing fools for many years in the Lobos Lounge every Saturday night from 7:00pm until 10pm. Peer at the wildlife on Bird Rock at Point Lobos through the ship's telescope in the corner, then drop the lens and join the party, dancing to tunes such as "Great Balls of Fire," one of their more raucous covers that always seems to get everyone up and dancing in merriment.
- Special Events: Join us for the first in our Winemaker Dinner series for 2013 on Thursday January 17th where Chef Matt Bolton hase created a 5 course menu perfectly paired to the wines of Margerum Vineyards. The menu price is $125 per person plus tax and gratuity and reservations are essential. Please contact Pacific’s Edge at (831) 622-5445 or visit http://www.pacificsedge.com/.
- Cross Street: Highway 1
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Free Valet Parking. Drive your car to the front steps and the friendliest valets in the world will happily park your car for you. Towards the end of your meal, have your server summon your car. Nothing could be more convenient, other than an overnight stay here at the Hyatt Carmel Highlands where you could walk to your room after dinner.
A word from Pacific's Edge Restaurant
Perched high atop a granite cliff overlooking Point Lobos State Reserve, migrating whales may be seen from every table in the dining room. USA Today selected us as "One of the Top 10 Restaurants in America With a View." Sunsets here are so spectacular that the entire dining room often breaks out in spontaneous applause. Pair a bottle of Domaine Bertagna Vougeot Clos de la Perriere with our Maple Glazed Smoked Duck Breast with Duck Confit and Strawberry-Rhubarb Chutney. We have just been awarded Zagat Restaurants' Guide "Best Decor" award for the entire greater Bay Area, including Napa, San Francisco, Monterey and Carmel. Amber mica lanterns, Santa Lucia fir beams and granite boulder walls evoke the local mood of the Big Sur rugged coast and mountains. This is the premier place for a special occasion when people like to dress up, look their best, and go somewhere they shall always remember. Come delight your senses in a magical setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Pacific's Edge Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
Pacific's Edge Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (101)special occasion (85)romantic (78)notable wine list (54)fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Go for the viewrtpivVIPDined on 9/8/2014We had a nice meal at Pacific's Edge overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean. The food was good. My steak was cooked to medium rare as requested, but it could have used a little more searing on the outside. My wife's short rib entree was excellent, however. You can probably find better food, but you won't pay more for it. You won't find a better view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to start a restaurantPATWDined on 9/8/2014Traveling the west coast, this is was our thirty fifth anniversary dinner. What a disappointment. We enjoy visiting upscale restaurants, the food, the service, the ambience. If you’re looking for any of these three, better look someplace else. The view is magnificent, but that’s where it stops. I can’t rate the entrees as our evening never progressed to that point. After one and a half hours we still had empty appetizer plates and cocktail glasses spread out on our table, as well as empty water glasses. Spoke with some locals about the restaurant and they all agreed it was the crown of the area until Hyatt took it over. My advice go to the bar have a cocktail watch the sunset and go someplace else for dinner.Special Features:
- Glorious Coastal DiningMrsBDined on 9/7/2014Pacific's Edge restaurant at the Highlands Inn has long been celebrated as a place for fine dining with a stunning Pacific Ocean view. Happily, the restaurant has not lost any of its "edge" over the years. Service is attentive, the ambiance is elegant and subdued, the wine list is capacious and the food is beautifully prepared and served. This is a special place for a special meal. It is expensive, but worth every dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the downslopeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014Sad that owners/management have allowed this iconic scenic view restaurant to slide downhill. The food is more akin to a mediocre steakhouse, never coming close to what the restaurant formerly offered. They are obviously going for the timeshare customers not a broader customer base. View is lovely as always, and service is fine, although the hostess was dressed very casually particularly for a Saturday night. Reflective of a lack of oversight and attention to detail.Special Features:
- bad servicebillyDined on 9/6/2014the waiter(Alex) that served us was rude. we asked h im to describe the dish and the flavor. he responded with sarcasm "it's potato, what do y ou think it tastes like?" there was several occasion Alex made us felt that we were not welcome there. He added his own tip too our credit card bill after we tipped in cash. I just cannot believe he still allows to work there. I will not take any of my clients there any more.
- Very special eveningBrianVIPDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I were in Carmel to celebrate her 50th birthday and had a very lovely evening here. The food was fabulous! She had the mushroom ravioli and I had the lamb chops. The view is AMAZING from every table, but get there before sunset to enjoy it. Service was good, but the sommelier was a little snobby and $40 corkage is ridiculous. We spent 3 days in Napa prior to coming here and brought a bottle of my wife's favorite. They waive the corkage if you buy a bottle of their wine, but it is very expensive. Other than that, I highly recommend Pacific's Edge for a special occasion; it is very pricey, but we knew it (other than the corkage) coming in.Special Features:
- Pleasantly happyAnniefromenglandDined on 9/5/2014Very bad reviews from Yelp and nearly cancelled reservation. Apart from the high cost, which we knew about,,everything was great, especially the great chocolate croissant bread pudding . Sadly too expensive for further visits,,but had a great visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAD STAFF,ONLY SAVED BY VIEWOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014After reading the bad reviews, surely a restaurant of this caliber would have done something about it. NO The sommelier was very rude, we said we did not want wine ,she said "that's unfortunate", gave a sour look and walked away ( we were never offered a cocktail which we would have liked). We each chose the same fish entree only to be told that it was not available. Why were we not told this when given the menu? My husband asked if there were any items not listed on the menu, the waiter only then told us that indeed there was a halibut. When asked how it was prepared (he never offered) we were told the same as the fish that was not available. My husband ordered it and it was NOT. Empty water glasses were ignored.Waiter terrible!Special Features:
- Sunset at the HighlandsJeffDeeDinerDined on 8/31/2014Diana, the hostess, gave us a window seat for two...doesn't get any better. Exquisite meals and a spectacular sunset...that's why we came here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drjtDined on 8/30/2014Food , views, wine were great. Wait staff had no clue. Dinner came out before our salads. Then waited over an hour for the rest of the meal. This stuff happens at Applebee's, not a place like this. Absolutely no explanation or apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scenic view with poor serviceMiswuVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been for many occasions whenever we visit Carmel areas. excellent romantic dining location. Food was good with notable wine list. The view is spectacular. However, the service is slow and poor. After sitting down for 5 minutes, our waiter finally showed up for drink order. Another ten minute later, he returns with the drinks and ready to take order. We had to asked about the specials. He seems uninterested and unfocused. After the food arrivals, he was slow to check on the food. The management need to work staff service. It us really unfortunate for such a beautiful romantics dining location to be match with a third class cafeteria services. We will definitely not return anytime soon.Special Features:
- Wonderful Meal, Romantic SettingRicnKumiDined on 8/29/2014We were there for our anniversary and the meal was wonderful. We arrived after sunset so it was dark but the restaurant itself has wonderful ambiance and our table was very cozy and comfortable. The bread is served warm and the food is excellent quality and prepared perfectly. The portions are small so quality over quantity. The bread pudding was to DIE for!! amazing. I would return simply for this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, but poor managementJGJLAWVIPDined on 8/28/2014Pacific Edge has an amazing view of the sunset, and quite good food, but the drunk, vulgar table next to us was beyond reasonable. It was obviously a business dinner, with way too much wine and liquor served, and way too much LOUD discussion by the host re sex parts, sex acts, etc. that should have prompted action by management. No such luck! It ended only when I told the host to "stop the F…..talk"and to respect not only the guests at his table, but also the other diners and the restaurant. He apologized and admitted that he had too much to drink, but this was an obvious problem, as the men at two other tables immediately chimed in that he was boorish. Would I recommend Pacific Edge, yes. Management, though, needs to get its act together.Special Features:
- AnniversaryBobertDined on 8/28/2014Returned to Highland's Inn, where we honeymooned, for our 45th anniversary. View was fabulous; the filet was the best we've ever had. For the prices they charge (entrees $40-60), the service could have been more attentive.Special Features:
- Service at Pacific's EdgeFredDined on 8/28/2014We come to Pacific's Edge every year on our trip to Carmel and really look forward to an outstanding meal. This visit provided the same outstanding meal in which we have grown accustomed. However, we were truly disappointed in the level of service provided by our server - Alex. He was incredibly inattentive and frankly, seemed, somewhat disinterested. Time and again we had to wait for an element of service. This experience was truly an anomaly as we normally receive excellent service at Pacific's Edge. This particular visit was especially disappointing but it will not cause us to not return to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pacific's Edge DinnerRoadfoodieDined on 8/25/2014Hostess was fabulous, seating us at a lovely corner table with a marvelous view of Pacific and whales jumping. Service was extremely SLOW; dishes presented w/ appetizers stayed on table entire meal. 4 or 5 flies on windows at corner table-- premier table in restaurant. Food VERY pedestrian--overly sauced, salted, and generally not up to what expectations would be for such a lovely venue. Plus, sommelier suggested a bottle of local wine not on the list. We had been discussing wines in $70 price range--very surprised to see bill for $115 bottle of wine! She could have told us that prior to our selection. Probably would still have picked bottle, but not been so surprised.Special Features:
- Great, as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/21/2014We have been to the Pacific Edge several times, and have never been dissapointed. There simply isn't a better place for a special occasion dinner. The view this time was just spectacular, with a pod of whales frolicing in the cove. My wife had the salmon and I had the short rib - both were perfect.Special Features:
- Can I order a drink please?!FeedmedeepDined on 8/20/2014It remains one of our favorite spots to dine, but our waiter was distracted and not very attentive. I had to flag him down to order a drink 10 minutes after we were seated...and the restaurant was half full. The rest of the staff was very courteous and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed after Many YearsDisappointedDined on 8/19/2014We have been to Pacific Edge many times and have always been thrilled but this experience was horrible. The sommelier came to the table and we ordered a bottle of wine. She poured about an inch in each glass and we never saw her again(had to get up and pour our own wine) The first words our waiter spoke to us were " do you know what you want" He never checked on us to see if everything was ok(some of the food was cold and just ok) then he dropped the desert menus and hit my wife in the shoulder and lap(no apology, just gave us a desert on the house) After we paid the bill which was incorrect at first we asked for the manager to let him know we were disappointed and he was a bigger looser than our waiter.
- Server attitude can be improvedbadserviceDined on 8/19/2014The story was long and it involved the waiter's or the kitchen's mistake on a vegetable ravioli. We also made a mistake to ask for no cheese too late. By the waiter's attitude was very unfriendly and totally with no respect. Worst of all, he did not listen and talked back as if he has no patient. Very unprofessional. At the end, he came back unexpectedly with what we finally want, but the damage has already been done.Special Features:
- Spectacular AmbianceLoveToDineVIPDined on 8/17/2014Gorgeous Views of the bay in a misty forest setting. Expansive windows in an open upscale lodge atmosphere. Perfect for twilight cocktails in the lounge upstairs and appetizers. Kitchen closes at 10pm so plan on eating in the restaurant early.Special Features:
- Glorious setting for fine dining!MrsBDined on 8/17/2014This is an expensive restaurant, but well worth the cost. The setting overlooking the Pacific is perfect, service is attentive but not obtrusive, and the food is beautifully prepared and flavorful. The wines are very pricey, but you can find some more affordable gems if you look. This is a place not to be missed on the CA central coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A complete disappointment.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014We return every year we are near Carmel and it is always a treat. This year was a mess. A bill for two nearly $300. Our waiter was loud, obnoxious, arrogant, and dismissive. We waited 30 minutes for bread. Even longer for water. Our entrees were finished before he showed up to say bon appetite. This restaurant was perfection. The kitchen still is. The rest... Including the general manager who could not comprehend our comments before we left... Was entirely and utterly disappointing. Go for the view and a drink. Skip the meal. So many more deserving establishments.
- Beautiful viewTerryDined on 8/17/2014and great location. My husband and I were staying at the Tickle Pink Inn which is right next door and in walking distance to the resteraunt. We had a fabulous dinner. I wanted to take a desert back to our hotel and they fixed me one (not to worry about the dishes they pick them up from the Inn). When we were leaving we were offered a golf cart ride back to the Inn.Special Features:
- Great Scenic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014This is the place for a special occasion dinner. Cannot beat whale-watching from your dining table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalspicemanDined on 8/13/2014Selected this beautiful establishment as the place celebrate a milestone occasion. The Pacific's Edge delivered across the board. People, service, food, view, total experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014This was the perfect place for a romantic dinner. The service was great, the food was even better and the view could not be topped.Special Features:
- Worth it, butGastronommeVIPDined on 8/7/2014One is prepared to pay for lease value with normal bottles of wine at least twice a distinguished restaurant. Service on this night was a bit off. The busboy did deserve an "extra" handshake as I like to see one hustle and take pride. For prices like these you have to be on your A game all the time. Food was splendid but not over the top. One has to be comfortable in knowing a dinner for two can exceed $500 as you will want to complement your meal with a good bottle or two. Until next time here, Cheers!Special Features:
- Wont be backluv2dineDined on 8/6/2014Pacific's Edge is a wonderful location with a stunning view. However, it's associated with Hyatt and been turned into timeshare community. The food was good, the service was poor, and the prices were very high. There's much greater value to be found elsewhere in Carmel.
- Great View / Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2014Would be tough to match the Pacific Ocean view. Nice local wine list. Menu had a nice variety of offerings. Yellow fin tuna, salmon and filet were excellent.Special Features:
- Delightful!MarthaawhVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were here a few years ago and had to come back. The view takes your breath away... Learned about it from an article in USA Today featuring restaurants with the best views. So there's all that but the food and service are wonderful as well. I highly recommend this place and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite viewKateDined on 7/30/2014For a special occasion, this is the place. The staff is attentive, the view and food excellent. Beautiful place with lots of history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experiencejstdoitVIPDined on 7/25/2014We were there a little late due to traffic and hostess was FABULOUS at managing to get us a great table! It was much appreciated as it was a special milestone birthday. Food was delicious. We had the yellowfin tuna and rack of lamb. Both were done nicely! The view is magnificent as always being able to catch the sunset over the ocean.Special Features:
- Whale Of A TimejazzyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Pacific Edge was fabulous. Not only was the ambiance, view and food delicious we had a bonus with entertainment from the many whales swimming around in the ocean. What a special evening....Special Features:
- Destination Great - Food okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Second visit was not as memorable. Food was ok. Hotel connected is very noisy and not worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariahDined on 7/19/2014Overall it was an amazing place to dine. The view was amazing! Our waiter Frederick gave excellent customer service! I would recommend this to my friends and family and I would come back here in the near future.Special Features:
- Awesome expierenceAmazingDined on 7/18/2014Pasific edge met all my expectations of what fine dining should be. I booked the hyatt for a romantic getaway for my boyfriend and i. I thought the resturant would be just as nice so I reserved that also. As we walked in around 8:30 we had the most amazing sunset view overlooking the ocean. Priceless! We got a corner table with an incredible view! The wine list was endless and the service was on point. We each had Filet mingon. I can say the best I've ever had. Well worth the cost. I definitely recommend it! See you all soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice, but very expensivepricematters2Dined on 7/12/2014We had a nice dinner, but their prices are not competitive w/ most of the best restaurants in Carmel. Go there if money doesn't matter. No complaints on the food or service. The ambience and views are great, but next time we'll eat in Carmel 1/2 the cost.Special Features:
- Ok...NancyDined on 7/9/2014Frozen peas used with the salmon dish fell short for me with a plate price of $32. Besides my poor selection of entree it was extremely niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View if Not FoggyxtravelagentBDined on 7/5/2014We were given a nice table facing the window on the 2nd level where we both had to sit on the same side.The hostess greeted us and said Happy Anniversary and told us it was a special anniversary table. Unfortunately, that evening it wouldn't have mattered where anyone sat as the coast was fogged in. The server took very good care of us. We didn't have to wait long for anything. We each ordered an appetizer. My husband ordered tuna tartar which he said was good. I ordered the heirloom caprese. The tomatoes were not that good. We both ordered steak for our dinner. Mine was a filet. It was good, but not foodie good. My husbands steak was good too. However, We've had great steak elsewhere for a lot less money. The wine list was decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.