114 W. Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pacificrimbykana.com/
- Phone: 734-662-9303
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen Hours: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Duc Tang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Pacific Rim
Pacific Rim features pan-Asian cuisine that draws from the best of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food with a commitment to using the finest fresh and seasonal ingredients and timeless French techniques. Extensive wine list and full bar available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Pacific Rim - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Pacific Rim reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (112)romantic (80)neighborhood gem (55)notable wine list (35)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (17)hot spot (14)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We went to Pacific Rim to celebrate our wedding anniversary. (We've been there several time before and thoroughly enjoy it). The meal and wine were excellent, but most particularly the service which was attentive, professional and very engaged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite placenewfavDined on 8/26/2014Low lighting, Asian modern decor and small entry (that does not disturb diners) is very inviting. Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive. The menu is creative, ingredients fresh and the flavor combinations really interesting without being cloying. Primarily a seafood menu, there are a few non-seafood menu items (I have a seafood allergy and was happy that I had options). I would only suggest to add perhaps a few more starters that are not seafood oriented for others like myself. We were most pleased with the wine list. Interesting and not overpriced. We came to Pacific Rim for a change (my dinner partner loves seafood), and we were very happy in the end to have found a 'new favorite place'.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Everything was outstanding. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- BergunkiVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our server Travis was great! Loved the beef skewers, duck, and corn ice cream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seared Big Eye TunacrlbDined on 8/22/2014Hands down the Seared Tuna entree is the best I have ever had. If you are in Ann Arbor, it's a must go to! As good as you remember it was the last time, it manages to exceed your expectations again and again.Special Features:
- Delicious!FoodieNewParentsDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I are foodies who had not been on a date for over 5 months (we have a baby). Pacific Rim was the perfect choice for us! We are new to A2 and wanted to start trying restaurants; we were not disappointed. After starting with 2 delicious soups, we opted for a platter of appetizers, all of which were enjoyable, but the beef with the peanut satay sauce was exceptional. The star of the meal was the Big Eye Tuna with crispy sushi rice cakes, a crunch fresh salad, and swirls of savory sauces. On top of that, the service was attentive without being overbearing. A wonderful re-entry into date nights.Special Features:
- The menu is amazing.JEM8Dined on 8/16/2014We love the food, cocktails and seasonal options. I always enjoy my order and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousndk2Dined on 8/16/2014We chose Pacific Rim on the recommendation of many friends and were not disappointed. I couldn't decide, so had 2 appetizers, both the cold avocado soup and the pork belly. Both delicious. My friend had the coconut curry soup and that was even better! For my entree I had the Korean rib steak and I loved it! I liked the sauce on the side so I could make it as spicy as I wanted. The waitress we had was very attentive and helpful. I am sure I will be back there many times!Special Features:
- rickDined on 8/15/2014upscale Asian food well made; consistent quality. Wortha return visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasty spot in Ann ArborcharlottefitzDined on 8/12/2014We dined here for a birthday party and the meal was definitely suitable for the special occasion. Portion sizes were decent, the curry soup appetizer was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Never a disappointmentcoachsokDined on 8/10/2014Pacific Rim is our special destination for special moments, in this case, our 45th Wedding Anniversary.Special Features:
- The waiter made the mealGtblueDined on 8/5/2014The food and wine were great for a romantic evening, but the reason I feel compelled to fill out a review is because our waiter, Mack, was fantastic. In addition to being incredibly knowledgable about wine and very friendly, he was capable, handled a delicate food allergy well, and generally made the experience enjoyable. If you go to Pacific Rim, ask for Mack!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitstaffSarawelderDined on 8/3/2014Outside was lovely and noise level was great. Inside didn't look very appealing. We ate at 8 but already some items on the main emu were sold out. The fish was good and basic and not at all over cooked The cold avocado soup with crabmeat was very good ( it was a special) I think it would have been improved with a few home made croutons. Desserts were better than expected. I plan to eat there again and try some more items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Big Eye Tuna at Pac RimDC2ColumbusDined on 8/2/2014My wife, my 2-year-old, and I ate dinner at Pacific Rim on a friend's recommendation and loved it. We sat on the front patio and enjoyed the atmosphere, the great service, and, for the most part, the food. We were a little disappointed in our appetizer, the Monsoon Plate (a combination plate); the portion size for each of the individual appetizers was real small, so despite the higher price for this particular appetizer, it was no bigger than the other apps. However, the rest of our food was terrific. We ordered the roast pork belly (appetizer) for my daughter's meal, and we all enjoyed it. My wife had the Korean-Marinated Ribeye (basically a deconstructed bibimbap, but tasted great). I had the seared big eye tuna, which was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightFooderVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our server was not up to par. He ignored an empty cocktail glass on 3 different visits to the table, actually offering and brining a soft drink refill on 2 of those visits. Finally another server noticed and got the cocktail order in. Service overall was painfully slow especially getting the bill, and even longer waiting for the credit card to be taken. From a food perspective, the seasonal menu has not changed in years and (other than the constant "special" avocado soup) there are never any entrée specials. Although the food is still very well prepared, the overall feel is they've stopped trying.Special Features:
- Loved Pacific Rim Again!JanInCincinnatiDined on 7/25/2014This was our second visit to Pacific Rim (we do not often get to Ann Arbor), but we love this restaurant. This was the first reservation I made when we planned this trip. The unagi appetizer was wonderful as before. For my main, I had the Sable - a really wonderful and light fish. My husband had the quinoa encrusted scallops which were great. Our waiter was attentive and friendly - overall, a great meal and a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shalsshalsDined on 7/22/2014Great food, quiet and wonderful atmosphere, Prices are right amazing service, simply excellent restaurant in Ann arborSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !AbbyDined on 7/19/2014Pacific Rim is our favorite restaurant for special occasions with friends and family. Food is delicious. Service is very good and we love the ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Larry Von SalineLarryVonSalineDined on 7/19/2014Simply delicious. Apps were great to start. Entrees were perfect! Big tuna was biggish portion, but couldn't turn any away because the flavouring was addictive. Excellent use of wasabi to give each bite a flavour sensation that passed in about 8secs then finished nicely leaving you to want more. Go. And have the Tuna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousfoodie4thoughtDined on 7/16/2014Sarah, our server, was awesome. The sablefish was to die for. Avocado soup was slightly under-seasoned but the portion & saltiness of the crabmeat that came with it made up for it & more. Service from host was a bit lacking in many aspects.Special Features:
- Consistently goodWeekendCookDined on 7/14/2014We always enjoy Pacific Rim - great food, good service, peaceful decor. It can get noisy sometimes, but never so bad you can't talk.Special Features:
- Great eveningenjoyeatingoutDined on 7/14/2014Special dinner at Pacific Rim was outstanding. The food recommendations were spot on and the meal was excellent. Service was among the best in Ann Arbor. We were well taken care of. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- Still wonderful!grendelVIPDined on 7/11/2014This birthday dinner for my husband at Pacific Rim validated what we have always known: service is impeccable and the food superb. The eclectic menu offered many excellent choices: my crepes for an appetizer were perfect as was my lemongrass chicken. My husband's ahi tuna and appetizer of shrimp were excellent as well. Pacific Rim is not inexpensive, but we always feel we are rewarded for our evening there with good food and service. This was probably our 6th visit--still worth the money and time.Special Features:
- Yay MichaelOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was superb...service even better. Thanks for chocy cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pacific Rim raised the bar! A 10!BillintownDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I went to the restaurant for our anniversary, and using the online reservation was easy and the manager Mr. Herbert got a hold of me personally to schedule a time that was convenient. This alone made them great choice of restaurants but wait! We got there sat right away and we were greeted by the manager Mr. Herbert wishing us an anniversary and how happy was to have us. The appetizer of calimari which we usually get was spectacular. The food came with its usual's spectacular presentation. Before our food came we noticed some of the other dishes and as usual the friendly patrons speak to one another about how good the food is. The tuna was delicious and unique and the fillet I had was as good as I've ever had Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Excellent meal! Would highly recommend the scallops. They were cooked to perfection and the sauce with the jasmine rice was a delicious blend of coconut and mild curry flavor. The dressing on the house salad was delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good Asian kitchenyannDined on 7/3/2014We sat outside so far it was quiet. Staff very nice. Quick serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicable Dinner/Superb Serviceekj5Dined on 7/1/2014Our group of eight enjoyed a variety of appetizers, entrees and drinks which were all thoroughly enjoyed because of the great ingredients and beautiful presentation. Service given by server Mike Firn was outstanding, attentive and accurate clarifications on menu items. Thank you.Special Features:
- Pacific RimWilliamDined on 6/29/2014Pacific Rim is one of the best restaurants in Ann Arbor. It is certainly our favorite. I recommend it without reservation. The food is incredibly good and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Pacific Rim by KanaFoodies654Dined on 6/27/2014We had an outstanding experience beginning with exceptional service and delicious food. The house infused vanilla vodka was a welcome surprise along with their exceptional tap offerings. Overall, a great experience! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- good good excellent dazzlingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014i like it. It was great to have dinner at pacific rim cause it had the best options for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding fusion of flavors!ptauntVIPDined on 6/26/2014We went as a family to celebrate a birthday during Ann Arbor's restaurant week. The restaurant week menu was fantastic with many options and it appeared the restaurant did not cut back on anything. All of the dishes were wonderful! Between the 5 of us, we tried a number of items and they were all very good. Most impressive was the variety of flavors that were introduced. If you like some asian flavors with beef and fish, this is a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of restaurant weekOldManDined on 6/25/2014Great food with a nice wine pairing. The Lamb shank was incredible. Their real prices do give me a jolt, the $28 dinner was a pocket save.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!A2hasgameDined on 6/25/2014An Ann Arbor Classic…never disappoints! Everybody should have a meal there if given the opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovated and relaxingSuenicDined on 6/25/2014Pacific Rim is lovely -- and nice that their menu can't be found other places in town, with a sophisticated twist on Asian cuisine. My Hamachi filet was delicious -- subtle, yet full of flavor. My co-diner was pleased with the lamb -- which was a healthy portion. My only disappointment was the crab cake appetizer, which I found doughy and perhaps best left to New England. While the indoor ambience is serene and romantic, we chose the sidewalk seating this time, and it was very pleasant. Their speciality cocktails also are a treat -- well balanced and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014In my book, this is the best restaurant in Ann Arbor for consistently excellent food, great service and nice atmosphere. And that's saying a lot because Ann Arbor has some great restaurants. There is nothing negative to say about any of my experiences at Pacific Rim over many years - beginning when it was a tiny hole in the wall on the corner of Washtenaw and Huron called 'Kana.' We worried when the family sold it, but it hasn't wavered in quality in any way. It's always been a favorite for us. One complaint: the old 'Kana salad' should be consistently on the menu. I miss it sometimes. Thank you, Pacific Rim, for another wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Repeat PerformanceHarleyDined on 6/24/2014We visited Pacific Rim during restaurant week in January and couldn't wait to go back again in June. The food is wonderful and this time we splurged on the wine pairing as well and were glad we did. The food looked as good as it tasted. Each plate was a work of art. The staff was knowledgeable and attentive. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationssvm24Dined on 6/24/2014I had been trying to get Restaurant Week reservations at Pacific Rim for a few years now, so I was so excited to finally have the opportunity to go. Needless to say, my expectations were pretty high going in after such a long wait...and Pacific Rim delivered. From a great appetizer to amazing salad and an out of this world entree, I left feeling great about my dinner. The food was carefully prepared and well presented, with the wait staff being very attentive. The selection of food is great and there is something for everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience.Special Features:
- Small portions of deliciousnessskangsDined on 6/23/2014The title says it all. Although the portions are small, that's not unexpected of fine dining. Every morsel is delicious and highly notable is the lime-cilantro sauce, which is quite fantastic. Some of the descriptions are pretentious, in fact most of them are, but that doesn't take away from how delicious everything is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceAnnArboDined on 6/22/2014This restaurant has a great selection of menu items. We tried three different fish dishes and all were excellent. We are looking forward to returning to try the chocolate cake dessert specialty. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys good food well prepared and served by a knowledgeable and low key waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.