114 W. Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pacificrimbykana.com/
- Phone: (734) 662-9303
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen Hours: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Duc Tang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Pacific Rim
Pacific Rim features pan-Asian cuisine that draws from the best of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food with a commitment to using the finest fresh and seasonal ingredients and timeless French techniques. Extensive wine list and full bar available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Pacific Rim - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Pacific Rim reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (139)special occasion (113)romantic (86)neighborhood gem (66)notable wine list (41)good for groups (31)hot spot (24)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (11)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- snapVIPDined on 11/22/2014I thought the food was delicious. We shared a number of appetizers, each one being unique and tasty. The rib steak was tender and flavorful, and the portion was huge. The special lamb shank was also fall-off-the-bone tender. We had a lovely waitress who paced our meal well. I would definitely recommend the restaurant for a unique Asian-fusion experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near perfection in food, service, ambiencemanoflettersVIPDined on 11/19/2014Among the top 5 best restaurants in A2, never disappointing, warm attentive service, food portions vary, some are smallish, some huge. It never matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Decade Old, Yet NewSatableDined on 11/18/2014I read about Pacific Rim in a 2004 menu from the Langone Culinary Archive, wondered if it was still around, found the website and made a reservation. I was a half hour early but was seated right away. The food continues to be the chef's riff on South East Asian and Chinese cuisine, two of my passions. As I was alone and curious, I made a meal of appetizers. Squash soup, zucchini pancakes, crab cakes and beef satay. Great flavors, professional yet friendly service. One tiny flaw, with an early snow and freeze, I would have loved everything to be piping hot, and it was not. (Cold plates?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good service, food was hit or missOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Got seated right away with our reservations. Service was top notch the entire time. We split the appetizer sampler and loved everything. My seared Tuna was top notch, and the accompaniments were great as well. The Wife's quinoa encrusted scallops were not up to the level of all other food we tried, however; they were cooked properly, but flavor just didn't compare to the rest of the meal. I left really liking it, she was disappointed. Having tried her food I would have been disappointed if that were my order as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't worry, it's good.Dstan58Dined on 11/14/2014Three of us visited Pacific Rim on a Friday night for my wife's birthday. The greeter was snooty and snippy, but that was the only unpleasant moment about the evening. The waitstaff was outstanding; knowledgeable, funny, and friendly. We had the calamari, the pork belly, and the spring rolls for firsts. Each was excellent. The pork was a great take - Asian inspired, & the squid was perfect. For entrees, my wife had the 5 spice duck. It was rare, instead of medium she requested, but very tasty, after we sent it back. I had a lambshank done in an Asian style. It was terrific. The real winner was our son's sablefish. Brilliant. It was like sake and fish flavored butter as it melted on your tongue. For dessert, the sake-marinated cherries in a flourless chocolate cake w/coconut ice cream was comped to my wife for her birthday. It was very tasty. Our son and I split the creme brulee tasting - green tea, ginger, and pumpkin. All good - the pumpkin was my favorite. It tasted like pumpkin, not pumpkin spice. I had an Founder's Rye IPA, but the wine list is full of hidden gems. Ask for help, and try something new. For the quality of food and experience, fair pricing and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pacific Rim FunstaceyDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I enjoy exploring resturants and cusines. We selected Pacific Rim for the interesting dishes we saw on the Internet. We selected the Pork Belly and Unagi appetizers. Both were wonderful and presented in an interesting manner. For Dinner I had the Korean Ribeye steak and she had the tuna. We enjoyed both meals. The tuna was prepared with subtle flavors while my steak came with a spicey grab your attention sauce. We were seated in a small booth and the entire evening was just perfect.Special Features:
- Fantastic Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Took my girlfriend to this restaurant before a night on the Detroit River and had an excellent experience. The ambiance was beautiful with a pleasant noise level in the background. The server was the very knowledgeable about the menu and helpful with recommendations when deciding between options on the menu. Some of the best calamari and salmon I have had in the Ann Arbor area!Special Features:
- Superb!nataliasimonDined on 11/8/2014This was one of the best meals I have had in my life, and it's been a long life so far. My husband tried the beef tenderloin, and I went for sablefish. We also tried the pumpkin soup and house salads. The quality and taste were simply superb. We had requested a window table months in advance, and were happy that it was available to us. The drinks were great! My husband went for the Japanese scotch flight and had a lot of fun with it. Overall, five out of five, and we will return for a special celebration againSpecial Features:
- Never Disappoints!loveandhugsVIPDined on 11/7/2014We are never disappointed in Pacific Rim! The food is always wonderful and the staff professional. It always makes for a great evening out!Special Features:
- Best food I have had in Ann ArborshanethealmightyDined on 11/5/2014Pacific Rim was hands down the best restaurant I have been to in Ann Arbor. The salmon and ribeye were 2 of the best dinners I have had. The service was great. I would go here again for any type of special occasion. I would go here every week if it were a little cheaper, but the prices are fair for the service, atmosphere, and quality of food. Great place for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the state!SallyDined on 11/3/2014There is not a tuna entree in the country which compares with that of Pacific Rim. Presented with artistry and panache! All dishes are spectacular in taste and beauty. Service is the best - very professional and personal, at once. This is our favorite restaurant - anywhere!Special Features:
- Date nightfoodsezDined on 10/31/2014Went to this restaurant with my significant other for my birthday, was not dissapointed. Started off with the butternut squash soup and beef skewers. Really liked the pace that the food was brought out, I feel like I constantly had food in front of me but didnt feel rushed. I had the wasabi peppercorn steak and loved it, best of all there was a complimentary warm chocolate cake for by birthday (even had a candle). Would recommend highlySpecial Features:
- Pacific Rim is one of the best!EnjoysA2diningDined on 10/27/2014We are never disappointed at this restaurant! The Tuna is unrivaled in the Ann Arbor area for taste and presentation. A perfect dish! The restaurant is reasonable and the menu is very interesting. The bar was very well stocked and the drinks were great! If you haven't been there yet, you need to experience it as one of Ann Arbor's best!Special Features:
- Excellent elegant consistentPickyeatrDined on 10/27/2014I've always found Pacific Rim to have a varied menu while keeping some favorites on the menu. Flexible wait staff (my friend and I shared an entree for an appetizer, and I had an appetizer for my entree), delicious food (leaving little for my husband at home), and wide wine selection. One of my favorites and one of the few places open on Mondays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedClaudeLumiereDined on 10/25/2014Excellent experience overall. At the western edge of downtown AA, but an OK 6 block walk from the main campus. Very attentive but unobtrusive service. Some unusual and interesting fusion recipes, but also a few conventional ones for the traditionalists.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/24/2014One of the best places in Ann Arbor - never disappoints. The sablefish is divine.Special Features:
- Love Pacific RimLive4FoodDined on 10/21/2014I love Pacific Rim and am never disappointed. I used to go there for lunch, when they were open for lunch, but their dinners are superb. It was my husband's first visit there and he was duly impressed. It's a very elegant space with professional wait staff and the food is DIVINE. Asian-inflected.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014Was expecting more. Food just mediocre. I did love the salad dressing.
- Saturday Night DinnerVoyageurVIPDined on 10/18/2014From appetizers to dessert, the entire meal was excellent. The crab cakes are outstanding for a starter and the scallops and sliced rib eye were both generous and delicious for entrees. The only thing that was interesting was that very few reservations were available on Open Table, yet the restaurant was about 1/3 empty. Not sure how they are arranging the reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably just not for me.AP2014Dined on 10/17/2014The good - My girlfriend loved her tuna dish. The waitress was very professional, attentive, and accommodating. The not-so-good: The food I ordered was at best ok (which is disappointing considering the price). The zucchini crepes were nothing to write home about. My entree was the goat-cheese pierogies, which were ok, but not great, and the portion size was very small for an entree (should've gone with the duck?). For dessert we ordered the creme brulee tastings, which weren't horrible but not great either. They had a weird texture and the flavors (green tea, pumpkin, and ginger) didn't really work. So overall, I didn't really enjoy the experience BUT everyone else I know LOVES this place so don't take my word for it. It might just be me.
- Great place in Ann Arborreluctant1Dined on 10/16/2014My wife and I have lived in Ann Arbor for about 7 years, and we frequent the area's better restaurants (e.g. Melange, Gratzi, Vinology, Eve (before it closed) etc.), but we hadn't dined at Pacific Rim until some friends of ours said it was their favorite restaurant. So, we went with them, and it was excellent! My wife just celebrated a birthday, and when I asked her if she could eat anywhere in Ann Arbor, where would she go, she selected Pacific Rim. She says that the salmon there is the best she's ever had. I like the tuna. Nice wine selection. Good whiskey selection. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Simply excellentCamaroZ28Dined on 10/15/2014This is our favorite restaurant in Ann Arbor and perhaps the best. Every dish is unique and excellent. Sometimes we just order an assortment of appetizers. My wife especially likes the Sablefish. For me, the Wasabie-Peppercorn Tenderloin is the best steak in Ann Arbor! Yes, better than the Chop House. Besides the perfect beef, it has a delicious (mild) wasabi and pepper sauce which goes well with the mashed potatoes and for flavoring the beef. Price is moderately high for Ann Arbor, but well worth it for special occasions. For an appetizer, main dish and one drink, figure $50 per person including the tip.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!NVW55VDined on 10/11/2014Everything was great. The Big-eye Tuna and Korean marinated beef were absolutely delicious. Portions were generous, service was attentive, friendly and always at the table at the right time. Went back 2 weekends in a row. This weekend may be a 3rdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificdinerDDined on 10/11/2014A wonderful spot to celebrate a special occasion. Our meals were terrific. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- simply awesome!DebbieMDined on 10/10/2014We went to Pacific Rim while visiting our son at U of M. Everything about our meal was superb. No complains what so ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 of the Best Meals We've Ever HadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food here was absolutely phenomenal, & the service was prompt.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently yummyDebsDined on 10/9/2014We keep returning to Pacific rim because it continues to be a consistently delicious meal. While it would be nice to see some changes on the menu, their mainstay courses are delicious thought fully prepared and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ann Arbor GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Pacific Rim is our favorite restaurant! The food is ALWAYS superb and the atmosphere is fantastic. The owner is engaged with his customers creating a warm and friendly environmentSpecial Features:
- Pleasant experienceNikoDined on 10/5/2014we went to this restaurant with my family and we appreciated the experience. the food was good and the atmosphere was nice for a quiet dinner. I would recommend it in the futureSpecial Features:
- DelicioushungrygirlDined on 9/27/2014Menu is imaginative and food is presented beautifully. Everything we ate was delicious, especially Big Eye Tuna and sablefish. Highly recommend for a very good meal in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/27/2014We were seated very end corner where you can hear all the action from kichen that turned us off. We ended up ordering just couple starters and left. Tables were close to each other where you can hear the conversation from the people next to you. Not recommended for date night or some sort. Food was good to ok level.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Excellent as always! An Ann Arbor favorite! Love Pacific Rim!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pacific flair, Continental charmChicagoTomVIPDined on 9/26/2014This, by our lights in several visits from out of town over several years, is the best restaurant in Ann Arbor. Its seafood has been unfailingly excellent and there are chicken, steak and lamb dishes to round out the menu. For four diners, we ordered two rounds of many starters ... and that could have been our meal. (It wasn't, as we lingered, not rushed despite the house being fully reserved. We had choreographed a small surprise gathering, which the staff accommodated very well. The ambiance is a relaxing oasis for a college town on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at PROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I made this reservation based on reviews of the restaurant. My wife and I were not disappointed. The atmosphere was very nice, the food was great and the service was the best. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodAnilDined on 9/22/2014This was our first visit and we enjoyed the service, food, excellent Atmosphere We plan to visit again with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulgolfdude667Dined on 9/18/2014Such good food, wonderful atmosphere. Pricey, but romantic and delicious.Special Features:
- Best in Ann ArborAzilDined on 9/13/2014Pacific Rim never disappoints. It has been my go-to restaurant in Ann Arbor for over 10 years. Their food is consistently outstanding.Special Features:
- ScallopsPitlizardDined on 9/13/2014Scallops with coconut sauce were great, and so was the coconut soup. Watch out for that drink "For Women Only" though. They are not messing arounnd -- it is strong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sep 2014JITRDined on 9/12/2014Great food. A little noisy and a little expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably very gooddmfxbjrDined on 9/11/2014This is a very good place for celebrations for small to mid sized groups. We go to it for anniversaries or birthdays, e.g., as well as just good dinners. It is really a great place without being overwhelming. Not a big menu, but many surprising and delicious choices nonetheless, especially if you like Korean food -- it is a kind of Pacific Rim fusion with Korea as home base. Service very pleasant and competent, too.Special Features: