Ozumo - Oakland
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Ozumo - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ozumo.com/oakland
- Phone: 5102869866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Yo Matsuzaki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ozumo does offer catering in both its San Francisco location and its Oakland location. Please call either the Oakland phone number at 510-286-9866 or the San Francisco phone number at 415 882-1333. Advance notice is required.
- Private Party Facilities: Ozumo offers two dynamic private rooms. One is a beautiful Kotatsu room, traditional Japanese private room that has glass walls lined with decorative sake bottles, and a custom wood table that can seats up to 20. Ozumo also offers the Private Dining Room, a fully enclosed room.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Pinkham 5102869866
- Entertainment: DJ Thursday - Saturday in our sake lounge.
- Special Events: 3 Private Dining Rooms. Contact Amanda at email@example.com for details.
A word from Ozumo - Oakland
Ozumo, contemporary Japanese cuisine with Oakland's largest sushi bar, sake lounge and full bar with a nightly DJ. Ozumo serves classic Japanese cuisine along with it's own original creations. Ozumo has 3 private dining rooms and chef counter seating as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Ozumo - Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Ozumo - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)vibrant bar scene (32)good for groups (31)special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (28)romantic (25)great for lunch (17)hot spot (15)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food was excellentMagz36Dined on 8/16/2014There was a plate that I order that was so good. I can't remember the name, but it had a jalapeno and ginger sauce (?). I will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Overpriced and loudPlunko49Dined on 8/15/2014The food was quite good but incredibly overpriced, especially considering the lackluster service and extremely loud noise level. The dance music was as loud as a dance club, which is fine if we thought we were going to a dance club. We knew we were going to a restaurant with a lively atmosphere but we had to yell to one another at our own table. I've been here twice and won't be coming back, and will warn others. This place needs to figure out what it wants to be.
- Beautiful restaurant!OTfanVIPDined on 8/14/2014Loved the decor! The menu worked for my older Japanese aunt as well as for my not-so-authentic Japanese tastes. Wine choices by the glass were great for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScooterVIPDined on 8/9/2014Upscale, fine dining in Downtown Oakland. Large selection of Sakes, numerous small plates to choose from in addition to seasonal specials. Chocolate Fondue allows for interactive dessert...a great way to close a meal.Special Features:
- Food was great with a few hiccupsACharlesDined on 8/7/2014I tried Ozumo again after a long hiatus. Their menu has completely changed since I last came in, and I had a fee questions for the server. I specifically asked if there was sauce on anything and he said no. Additionally, my friend wanted no tofu as one of her sides. The food arrives and her tofu was replaced with something else, which turned out to be fried halibut and was quite tasty. My food arrives with sauce on my skewers. I told the staff that I had specifically asked because I have food allergies. They were very accommodating about getting a new dish without the sauce. The kicker though was when the party next to us came in with their dog. I had been planning on ordering dessert but quickly changed my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy SushijonathonstoneVIPDined on 7/29/2014Two separate rolls, shared, were delicious. Very good service.
- AG's birthday celebrationneighborhoodgemDined on 7/17/2014When asked where my son wanted to celebrate his 23rd birthday, without hesitation Ozumo's Oakland was his enthusiastic response. From the top notch service to the stellar presentation of our delectable dinner selections, it was a most memorable evening. Thank you to the awsome staff for making my son's birthday so special.Special Features:
- alikeDined on 7/14/2014LOVE the fresh Sushi, always consistent! My 10 year son and his friend love to eat sushi here. All you can eat night is perfect forlittle one's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeHuggsDined on 7/11/2014Thank You For Making Our Birthday Dinner Another Highlight. Service Is On Point and Appreciated. Sushi and Saki Yum YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Quality of fish excellent. Presentation outstanding. Service -- outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOLIDOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/7/2014I used to go all the time for their Sushi Bar special. I have been for dinner as well, every time its a great dining experience. Usually the service is spot on but our server was not too attentive on the drinks however a server I've come to know made up for it with a special treat from the kitchen! I would not let that serve as a reason not to go at all - people have bad days. Over all they have a great staff and really make you feel special. Namaste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BerkeleyDiner1VIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our second time eating at Ozumo and we did not like it as much as the first time. Food was just ok, service was just ok. There was a large party near us with young children that were completely out of control - screaming and running around with the mother screaming in our ears at them. Very unpleasant. Our dinner for four was extremely expensive considering what we had and compared to other restaurants that offer the same food and drink. It's definitely a popular dining spot - so we may have just had a bad time this time around. Our first dinner there last year was really outstanding.
- Great dinneralbanyfoodieDined on 7/2/2014We love eating at Ozumo. All the food is so good and the staff is really nice. The sauces are amazing. And our kids (7 and 9) love it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ozumo overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Partially things were good. The waitress must have been having a bad day. She was in a rush to get us out of there. Not pleasant and did not help the dining experience or the price we paid!Special Features:
- Ozumo Awesome!carterDined on 6/14/2014From the time we were greeted by the hostess Elyse to being guided by the most awesome server of all time, Kim Tran! Kim took us on a culinary journey complemented by the best Sake pairing ever! Food was extraordinary and Sake exceptional.Special Features:
- Good Customer ServiceRenaDined on 6/9/2014I've eaten here several times over the years. I absolutely love Ozumo's for their food and ambience! It's a special treat. I made a reservation to treat myself to lunch. I sat in the bar area. I placed my order within a reasonable time. I waited 20+ minutes after my order was placed (which is unusual). I asked about the status of my order. It turns out that my order wasn't "sent" in the computer. Thus, my long wait. The waitress apologized profusely. I understand, mistakes happen. They redeemed themselves by compensating my meal free of charge. I tried something new (the various meats) bento box. It was absolutely wonderful! I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so OzumoJenniferCDined on 6/7/2014Got a gift certificate so we decided to try this place...and it was just so-so. Ordered a variety of items from menu (Sushi rolls, robata, hot appetizer) and rather than space the selections (or ask if we wanted them spaced), the waiter put it all in at once and food came out all together. The rolls were OK - the jalapeno himachi was not spicy at all, but the hoshi was very good. Ordered the robata sampler plate - fish was over cooked and dry and the beef was chewy. Nice atmosphere - good drinks, but so-so food. Without another gift certificate, unlikely that we'd go back. Too many other good sushi places in the Bay to settle for Ozumo.Special Features:
- ServiceraeeatzDined on 6/6/2014Service was good and efficient. There could have been more friendly and offered explanations about the menu including specials etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014Great place to entertain clients! My clients and I thoroughly enjoyed the ambience and the excellent entrees.Special Features:
- Best Bento Box EVERRenaDined on 5/20/2014I treated myself and dined alone. I was in the bar area. I ordered the Sake Bento Box and it was a feast for my eyes and so scrumptious! I tried and ate something new (the mashed radish, the buckwheat noodles with the mushrooms, the tempura shredded veggies)! The vanilla cream puff was an unexpected treat! Wow! I will order this again! I highly recommend this dish and Ozumo's in general.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SC4JulieDined on 5/17/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate graduation. Ozumo was perfect. Food was delicious. We ordered appetizers, veggies, rolls and desserts. Our party of 5 had a generous sized table for all our dishes. We could easily carry on a conversation at our table, even with all the other diners on a Saturday night. The DJ in the bar played good music but it wasn't loud in the separate dining room. The sushi rolls were a little petite compared to other Japanese restaurants where we have dined. The edamame and veggie sides had wonderful depth and flavor. The flour-less chocolate cake with green tea ice cream and fruit was delicious.Special Features:
- GiGiDined on 5/8/2014Service was excellent and quality of food is great. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnernamsmomDined on 5/6/2014Three of us enjoyed a recent dinner in which we tried a variety of menu items. We began with just-right salted garlic edamame beans, a sashimi plate of tuna, yellowtail and salmon, a beautiful tuna tartare, and a yummy three-seaweed salad. Entrees included seared tuna, a chef's choice of skewered and grilled filet, tuna, salmon and chicken, and potato encrusted petrale sole. A gorgeous vodka-cucumber cocktail and some lovely sakes rounded out the meal. Service was perfect, the food was incredibly delicious, and we couldn't have been more pleased. Highly recommend that you give Ozumo an evening of captivating your taste buds.Special Features:
- I'm a sushi nut!dragonrabbitVIPDined on 5/6/2014The rolls were excellent and I'm sure the rest of the menu is very good. The only thing I would suggest is more comfortable seating and tables. The bench was hard even though they had cushions, and we couldn't figure out how we were supposed to sit. The table was too low for us to cross our legs and we had to slouch over to eat, and the backing was such that we couldn't sit up properly. At the bar, we heard a young couple talk about how sore their butts were after sitting on the wooden bench. Would we go back? Absolutely for happy hour because of the pricing and not wanting to sit at an uncomfortable dining table for long. I hate reviews that don't talk about the food, and am sorry to be one of them, but it left such an impression... :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Robata!drmwDined on 4/28/2014We sat at the Robata Grill and ordered from the Robata menu and from the regular menu. Everything was so good. I would definitely recommend the "sampler" from the Robata (can't remember what it's called but there was salmon, chicken, steak, and pork on skewers), the Gindara, pea shoots, and the Gyu Kakuni. Things were pricey, but for the amount of food we ate plus 2 large beers and 2 glasses of sake, I don't think it was too bad.Special Features:
- The following 828 reviews are from the Ozumo - Oakland reviews archive.
- Lunches are good, too!JohorVIPDined on 4/28/2014Have been impressed with dining here and brought a work group for lunch. Less fancy than dinner, but great service, good food, reasonable priced for a business lunch. Will return.Special Features:
- Always great at OzumoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2014Food and service. My only complaint was my date. Back to the drawing board on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceSharonDined on 4/15/2014I loved everything about this place!....It was difficult to choose among the entrees because everything looked delicious....I was thrill ed with my choices, and will return again.Special Features:
- Very happy first time dinerFrench19Dined on 4/12/2014This restaurant is very close to the Paramount theater and we had tickets to see Bill Cosby, so after reading the reviews on Open Table we decided to try Ozumo. Our expectations were exceeded. Not only was the food innovative and delicious, we had the most amazing waiter named Roy. He was knowledgeable and friendly and he made sure we were on our way to the theater in plenty of time. The restaurant had made jello shots in a nod to Bill Cosby since he used to do the commercials for Jello brand. It was just a fun little extra that made us smile. Such attention to small details is so rare, and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find for sushi in oaklandJordanDined on 4/11/2014finally made it to ozumo. it was worth the wait and hype! delicious fresh fish and great service. nice spot with a happening scene for a Friday night definitely will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLOW service even when not crowdedmsdbDined on 4/3/2014I have been here several times when the restaurant was lively and service was good. Thursday night at 7, place pretty dead and the service was off and the food seemed even pricier than I remember. Constantly had to flag down the waitress for drinks, to order food and more drinks. The food was fair at best and the restaurant seemed sluggish in general. Won't return
- Special Dinner With Our DaughtersMamaJDined on 3/29/2014We had such a fun time out with our daughters, celebrating our family togetherness. Both of our girls are married and have their own busy lives and families, we needed to set time aside to catch up with each other. Our waiter Ron was perfect! making suggestions on our drinks, appetizers, entrees and desert. The food was all so very delicious and presented in such a beautiful way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been to Ozumo several times.JoanieDined on 3/28/2014Been to Ozumo several times. Great place to take clients. This visit was a colleague's birthday lunch. Service was a bit slow, but the server himself did a very nice job. Would return again and would definitely recommend as a great lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a 1st dateAndrewDined on 3/21/2014She wanted Sushi on our 1st date, I'm not a sushi fan but she was so excited about the idea so I booked a table at Ozumo on a Friday night. The place was hopping. Bar was full, the music was loud but not too loud so we could still hear each other. Beautiful room and the food was fantastic. Maybe I do like sushi after all. She ordered a variety of sushi, I ordered short ribs and a steak item. ALL of it was fantastic. Great place to order a few small plates for sharing. Our waitress was super helpful suggesting some Saki to sample. She was around when we needed her and she was invisible when we didn't need her. Date was success, next week she & I are having Italian in the city ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great from Start to Finish!MobileaccessDined on 3/20/2014Absolutely exquisite Japanese food with fabulous service and great ambience. The seasonal specialties were amazing - grilled lobster tail over mushrooms and curly spinach in vinaigrette, Wagu meatballs on skewers, and grilled ribs with fresh green herbs. But the big surprise was how wonderful the regular menu items were. The Gyoza filling was really good while the Miso soup was outstanding - lots and lots of flavor in the broth along with fresh green onions and tofu. We then shared the Bucho roll - shrimp tempura inside the rice covered by thin, thin avocado slices and roe - absolutely the BEST roll we've ever had. Our primary server was really helpful and all of the wait people gave us great service throughout. PRIME CHOICE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Sushi near Fox TheaterLuluDined on 3/15/2014Tried Ozumo before a show at the Fox Theater. Made a reservation 2 days in advance, with no problem. Contemporary interior, large but doesn't feel "too big". Appropriately attentive service. Very fresh-tasting sushi rolls, agedashi tofu, sashimi, nigiri and sunomono salad. Highly recommended and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to go toDollDined on 3/12/2014I was meeting up with a friend. When I first walked in, I was greater right away. Arrived earlier than my friend, so I had the option to sit at the bar or go to my reserved table.. The alcohol drinks are very good, and I had teriyaki chicken, with white rice. Sat in the back. Very nice ambience. It was my first time there, and I'll definitely be back! Happy hour ends at 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet lunch spoteastbayfoodieDined on 3/12/2014We checked out Ozumo for dinner when it first opened and were very impressed. It is not an inexpensive spot but is nonetheless popular. The restaurant has a large number of tables, but doesn't seem crowded. The high ceilings which help keep noise manageable and give a feeling of spaciousness. This was our first try for lunch and it was very enjoyable, low noise level It was at for lunchtime, although we recall that the bar area was very noisy at night time. Food is excellent and service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No hesitation to take my guest(s) -OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014My friend and I enjoyed our dinner last Saturday: I requested a hot water - I appreciated very much that it was served in a nice pot with a couple of sliced lemons - the restaurant shows we are the first-rated: Yes, indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening at Ozuma (read both parts)JinruigakushaDined on 3/6/2014We have dined at Ozumo 4/5 times before, and it seems to surprize us - for instance this time, how "non-Japanese" it was, perhaps because we did not order sushi or sashimi. The atmosphere is good, not crowded, the seating comfortable, the sevice pretty attentive, though they didn't know that much about Japanese food. Another surprize was that we couldn't tell he size of a dish - some of the small dishes were larger than te main course! It didn't matter because they were all good and we shared. The Ika was particularly good, tender with light batter. Aoba salad was good, like Ceasar's with a tiny bit of fried lotus root - and was HUGE - and shared. Not on the menu - ordinary warm flask (atsukan) of sake, but when it came it was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.