Ozumo - Oakland
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Ozumo - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ozumo.com/oakland
- Phone: (510) 286-9866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Yo Matsuzaki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ozumo does offer catering in both its San Francisco location and its Oakland location. Please call either the Oakland phone number at 510-286-9866 or the San Francisco phone number at 415 882-1333. Advance notice is required.
- Private Party Facilities: Ozumo offers two dynamic private rooms. One is a beautiful Kotatsu room, traditional Japanese private room that has glass walls lined with decorative sake bottles, and a custom wood table that can seats up to 20. Ozumo also offers the Private Dining Room, a fully enclosed room.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Pinkham 5102869866
- Entertainment: DJ Thursday - Saturday in our sake lounge.
- Special Events: 3 Private Dining Rooms. Contact Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
A word from Ozumo - Oakland
Ozumo, contemporary Japanese cuisine with Oakland's largest sushi bar, sake lounge and full bar with a nightly DJ. Ozumo serves classic Japanese cuisine along with it's own original creations. Ozumo has 3 private dining rooms and chef counter seating as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Ozumo - Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Ozumo - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)vibrant bar scene (46)good for groups (38)special occasion (37)hot spot (34)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (23)great for lunch (15)late-night find (7)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Perfect dateRenaDined on 11/15/2014I've dined at Ozumo's for lunch and dinner (solo and groups) several times. It's one of my faves for special occasions! The food and atmosphere was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant with one of a kind dishes!VanaAli3Dined on 11/13/2014The ambiance in this restaurant is amazing. It was out first time there and I can honestly say that we will be returning in the near future. Everything that we ordered and were given to sample was fresh and exquisite! My favorite by far is the Acadia blue mussels in this superb broth. And the Giddy Geisha cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was outstandingfrenchfoodie13Dined on 11/5/2014OUr server was extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable. He helped my mother choose a sake and even gave her sample to try before she ordered. So great having a waiter who actually enjoys their job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific pre-show optionAllegrovVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was our first visit to Ozumo and we were very pleasantly surprised with the food, the setting, and the service. We will certainly be back to dine prior to a show at the Fox or Paramount. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious bar bitestravelingtastebudsDined on 10/30/2014Stopped to grab a bite before seeing Dylan at the Paramount and discovered their great "bar bite" menu, with happy hour pricing on sushi and sashimi. We ordered a couple of rolls, which were excellent, chicken skewers, a plate of broccolini and sweet potatoes, all were delicious. I was surprised & delighted to see okonomiyaki on the menu and had to order it. I'm so glad I did - It was a-maze-ing! I'll be back the next time I'm in Oakland and order up more sushi and okonomiyaki. :-)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014I had lunch with a friend at Ozumo's on 10/29. Our server got my order wrong and my friend graciously waited with her meal while the kitchen cooked my food. After waiting, I had to ask a manager for my food and it came a few minutes later. The server offered dessert, but we were late back to work, so we passed on the dessert offer. The bill came and I was disappointed to see that there was nothing to compensate us for our inconvenience. I would have expected a discount or something....It made the dessert offer seem like a token jesture, especially since my friend's bento box came with at dessert already! I have been to this restaurant several times this past year and was very disappointed on this visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food. Great ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014This is the kind of restaurant that you go to once to check out, say you've been there, and never go back to. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the layout makes it a great place to hang out. But the food was a great disappointment. I don't mind paying higher end prices for food, but the quality has to justify the high end pricing. The quality of the sushi here was just not at the same quality that you would find at higher end Japanese restaurants. And some of the combination of ingredients in a select few sushi rolls just did not go well together and seems that they were trying too hard to be "contemporary" in their menu style. Would definitely not come back for the food.Special Features:
- Great findJapanesebyworkDined on 10/24/2014Brought my friend here for her birthday. I knew it was good but I was a little apprehensive about the price. I thought it was going to be one of those fancy, expensive restaurants where you go at least "once" to inpress every year. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Price was not bad either. The prix fixe lunch was the best deal. Soup & edamame for starters. Choice of entre then dessert for $20. I will be back sooner than later..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placewineanddineVIPDined on 10/21/2014Beautiful decor and good food. Brought a client for lunch. The servive was very good and substituted things for us with no problem. Parking lot right across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a must for sushi!!!mia12bellaDined on 10/18/2014We have enjoyed the SF City location, thrilled to learn of Oakland location!!!! We were immediately seated, not given the bar detour! The restaurant is beautifully designed and welcoming. The menu is amazing….we started with salmon tartare and seaweed salad. The salmon tartare was incredible, it is served with a mixture of avocado, dressed with sesame and soy and served with rice chips (?) The seawood salad consised of 4 different types and delicious. Then came the uni risotto!!! A MUST!! ..savory, sweet, buttery….amazing!!! We then ordered sushi ---all were fantastic~~and a cold saki to share….the saki menu is incredible. Oh, I left out the jasmine, green tea! A wonderful night!!!Special Features:
- good foodEcerDined on 10/17/2014Our meal was excellent from appetizers to desert. The noise level is pretty high and hard to have a conversation with those at my table. Our food also took a long time to come but in the end was very good.Special Features:
- ✓ off mom's bucket listcweatsDined on 10/17/2014I had no idea that inviting mom to Ozumo (before the show) would be a highlight beyond great food and ambiance. Apparently it was on her "bucket" list. She sang praises for her hamachi starter...."excellent" were her words, this will be her main course next time. She & my 2 sisters, had the black cod which was good, but very rich. My 2yr old nephew enjoyed the edamame & the salmon from my assorted grilled kabobs (beef, salmon, chicken) which he & I both loved. Note, chicken was a little dry & beef chewy...salmon however, perfect! The grilled veges were nicely prepared. Best of all were the fall off the bone ribs appetizers! (succulent). Our wait staff was very attentive & helpful with recommendations...very very good overall.Special Features:
- great time was had...both timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014I have been here twice once on a date the other during happy hour with a girlfriend and both times Ozumo was accommodating for both situations. Food is amazing and drinks are superb. DJ on Friday is amazing as well. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi place if you love modrnSushiLoverDined on 10/11/2014Service was great as well as the sushi. The ambiance was nice, but the place is very modern and noisy, which is not really my preferred style for sushi (The ambiance is still great). Since the price tag is more on the upper scale for a sushi place, I'd say it's great for special occasions. I definitively do not regret to have dined here.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesPaulVIPDined on 10/3/2014Ozumo is particularly great on a Friday and Saturday night, with a hopping bar and live DJ. The expansive restaurant is stylishly themed and serves first-class sushi. If you want quiet, just ask to be seated deeper into the restaurant; otherwise, just enjoy the buzz and let the hum wash over you. There is valet parking, which although not cheap, makes your evening a breeze. I've eaten here many times and never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- Awesome!CarmDined on 9/27/2014Ozumo is the hot spot of downtown Oakland. The food, service and ambiance was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A star!fallonVIPDined on 9/27/2014Ozumo was a "hey, why not?" choice one night for dinner - and turned out to be a JEWEL of a place. We now go every couple of weeks. The food is delicious and the service is absolutely impeccable. Eat there immediately.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014I've eaten at Ozumos in SF many times and it is wonderfuland. The oakland spot does not even come closes. Services was very slow and food was underwhelming.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014We wanted to do the Monday Sushi menu and I thought I had entered this detail in my reservation notes but when we arrived this was not in their records. We explained this to our waitress who quickly accommodated our request and we had an awesome evening. Definitely will return because of this waitress.Special Features:
- A gem in Oakland diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014The sushi is always wonderfully prepared, but the beet salad was a delightful addition to the meal. Our server was very helpful with portions and attentive. The noise from the bar scene was somewhat distracting (e.g., loud), but lessened as the night progressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CilantroVIPDined on 9/9/2014From the moment we walked in the door, we felt welcomed and cared for. Really good cocktails and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely special occasion diningSushiConvertDined on 9/6/2014We went to Ozumo for the first time. It was early evening reservation. The place filled up while we were dining. Noise level rose a bit when a larger party of disabled elders arrived to occupy a privately cordoned group "room" near our table, but the lighting supported an intimate, quiet experience. Cocktails were delightful. Fish was fresh and well prepared. All flavors blended well. An enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best quality sushi aroundPindogDined on 9/3/2014It's a bit pricey bit definitely one of the best sushi places in Oakland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud hip hop musicJakeDined on 8/29/2014The food was delicious for the most part and the outdoor patio furniture that all the seats indoors were made out of weren't terribly uncomfortable, but i came there to celebrate a birthday and we could hardly hear each other over the blasting music. I ordered a dish with avocado instead of cucumber and the waiter said that wouldn't be a problem. When he served the dish he mentioned that it had avocado and not cucumber, so i believed him and didn't bother checking. it had no avocado and did have cucumber. They comped that item from the meal and gave us some free whisky which was very good. I don't think the staff are overly competent, but i appreciated the effort the waiter took to remedy the incident.
- Love this restaurant!jandfVIPDined on 8/25/2014I always have a good experience here. The staff is friendly and attentive. The space is beautiful. And the food rocks! I love the Hanabi and the sushi, and they always have a special roll that's unexpected and delicious. I'm a huge fan!Special Features:
- Food was excellentMagz36Dined on 8/16/2014There was a plate that I order that was so good. I can't remember the name, but it had a jalapeno and ginger sauce (?). I will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Overpriced and loudPlunko49Dined on 8/15/2014The food was quite good but incredibly overpriced, especially considering the lackluster service and extremely loud noise level. The dance music was as loud as a dance club, which is fine if we thought we were going to a dance club. We knew we were going to a restaurant with a lively atmosphere but we had to yell to one another at our own table. I've been here twice and won't be coming back, and will warn others. This place needs to figure out what it wants to be.
- Beautiful restaurant!OTfanVIPDined on 8/14/2014Loved the decor! The menu worked for my older Japanese aunt as well as for my not-so-authentic Japanese tastes. Wine choices by the glass were great for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScooterVIPDined on 8/9/2014Upscale, fine dining in Downtown Oakland. Large selection of Sakes, numerous small plates to choose from in addition to seasonal specials. Chocolate Fondue allows for interactive dessert...a great way to close a meal.Special Features:
- Food was great with a few hiccupsACharlesVIPDined on 8/7/2014I tried Ozumo again after a long hiatus. Their menu has completely changed since I last came in, and I had a fee questions for the server. I specifically asked if there was sauce on anything and he said no. Additionally, my friend wanted no tofu as one of her sides. The food arrives and her tofu was replaced with something else, which turned out to be fried halibut and was quite tasty. My food arrives with sauce on my skewers. I told the staff that I had specifically asked because I have food allergies. They were very accommodating about getting a new dish without the sauce. The kicker though was when the party next to us came in with their dog. I had been planning on ordering dessert but quickly changed my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy SushijonathonstoneVIPDined on 7/29/2014Two separate rolls, shared, were delicious. Very good service.
- The following 849 reviews are from the Ozumo - Oakland reviews archive.
- AG's birthday celebrationneighborhoodgemDined on 7/17/2014When asked where my son wanted to celebrate his 23rd birthday, without hesitation Ozumo's Oakland was his enthusiastic response. From the top notch service to the stellar presentation of our delectable dinner selections, it was a most memorable evening. Thank you to the awsome staff for making my son's birthday so special.Special Features:
- alikeDined on 7/14/2014LOVE the fresh Sushi, always consistent! My 10 year son and his friend love to eat sushi here. All you can eat night is perfect forlittle one's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeHuggsDined on 7/11/2014Thank You For Making Our Birthday Dinner Another Highlight. Service Is On Point and Appreciated. Sushi and Saki Yum YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Quality of fish excellent. Presentation outstanding. Service -- outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOLIDOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/7/2014I used to go all the time for their Sushi Bar special. I have been for dinner as well, every time its a great dining experience. Usually the service is spot on but our server was not too attentive on the drinks however a server I've come to know made up for it with a special treat from the kitchen! I would not let that serve as a reason not to go at all - people have bad days. Over all they have a great staff and really make you feel special. Namaste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BerkeleyDiner1VIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our second time eating at Ozumo and we did not like it as much as the first time. Food was just ok, service was just ok. There was a large party near us with young children that were completely out of control - screaming and running around with the mother screaming in our ears at them. Very unpleasant. Our dinner for four was extremely expensive considering what we had and compared to other restaurants that offer the same food and drink. It's definitely a popular dining spot - so we may have just had a bad time this time around. Our first dinner there last year was really outstanding.
- Great dinneralbanyfoodieDined on 7/2/2014We love eating at Ozumo. All the food is so good and the staff is really nice. The sauces are amazing. And our kids (7 and 9) love it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding sushi!CeCeDined on 6/26/2014I've only dined there once for lunch, but the food was excellent and service wonderful! Comparable to Yoshi's (Oakland), which I very much enjoy as well. Beautiful dining rooms and very comfortable surroundings.Special Features:
- Ozumo overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Partially things were good. The waitress must have been having a bad day. She was in a rush to get us out of there. Not pleasant and did not help the dining experience or the price we paid!Special Features: