77 East Market Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18703Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oysterrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5708200990
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 10:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In house and take out catering available. Contact the sales office for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available with appropriate audio and visual when booked in advance. Please contact Elise for further information. 570-208-8508
- Private Party Contact: Elise 5702088508
A word from Oyster
Fresh Seafood & Hand Cut Steaks along with Italian Classics in Downtown Wilkes-Barre, PA. Oyster is the restaurant that began the revitalization of Downtown Wilkes-Barre. Our skilled culinary team along with our Romantic setting, and out of this world service makes for a memorable evening. The blending of bold rococo architectural design & the flavors make an upscale yet affordable experience. Portions are generous & meant to be shared "family style". With the mostly white space, candle-lit atmosphere, open kitchen & striking exotic mahogany floors the restaurant brims with a hip eclectic crowd of celebrities, families & business leaders. Certainly, Oyster is a place to see & be seen for the elegant as well as the casual diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (14)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- WOW! The Best Crab CakeVictoriousDined on 8/7/2014Went to enjoy the Crab Cake Dinner for $15 and it was well worth it. They use colossal crab meat and no fillers. It included a house salad, choice of potato and vegetable and dessert. The mashed cheese potatoes were delightful - tempura battered asparagus. Desserts that we had were chocolate covered coconut pie and chocolate decadence. WOW! Great ambiance and free parking - you need to buzz Best Western Gate and they leave you in parking lot if going to Oyster. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Not really for oystersneodocDined on 8/1/2014Although Oyster is the name, there was only one choice of oysters, which were small but tasty. The lobster bisque had nice pieces of actual lobster; the broth was less creamy and more like tomato soup than we expected. We had the menage a trois, consisting of a perfectly cooked tender filet wrapped around a piece of sweet lobster tail, and several tasty ocean scallops on the side. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Our companions had the scallop platter, which she enjoyed, and he had a very good filet. We tried the chocolate decadence dessert, which was good; one could serve 4 people. The sangria wine special was disappointing; the wine wasn't hearty enough to stand up to the fruit. The waiter was terrific. We plan to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks again for a great timewonderfultime14Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding experience. Darrell was a gem. Special dessert . great atmosphere would recommend to friends and familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters Crab Cake SpecailJack570Dined on 7/25/2014A terrific dining experience for a great price. Great dining experience!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Romantic NightplbellesDined on 7/25/2014We came here for our anniversary and had amazing service from the moment we walked in the door till we left Thanks for a very special night. The food was outstanding and everything was prepared to perfection. I had the NY Strip and my Wife had the Lobster. I am not a big fan of asparagus and was initially thought yuk however I did take a bite to try it then another bite and another it was amazing. I had the apple and raisin Won Ton it was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great serviceBearsGirlDined on 6/5/2014We chose the restaurant primarily because of its positive reviews and great looking menu offerings, but I won't lie that the convenience of its location (right in our hotel) wasn't a factor too. We weren't disappointed on any of those counts--the entrees were delicious and well-prepared, the wine list was respectable, and our server was very gracious and friendly. We found the decor a bit overdone, but since we were having an early anniversary celebration it all tied in fine. The restaurant and hotel are just around the corner from the F.M. Kirby Center, which made it a great choice for a pre-show dinner. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Service Made the NightjessinutahDined on 5/30/2014The absolute best thing I can say about this restaurant was that the service was fantastic. We felt special and very well taken care of from start to finish. The food was good, but not quite worth the prices. The crab cake was the best thing we had, for sure. It was delicious. Definitely a good experience and would certainly be a "special occasion" type of place. My boyfriend is from Utah and wanted to have some fresh, East Coast seafood and that's what he got!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2goneelsewhereDined on 5/24/2014The food was very good and nicely presented. Atmosphere was annoying, sheer fabric surrounded various seating areas, presumably for a sensuous, bedroom romantic feel, but poorly executed with views of a closed bar and buffet area and very loud noises coming from the kitchen. Service was slow, possibly due to the lack of staff. However, the restaurant, on a Saturday night, was virtually empty, which added to the creepy feel.
- Amazing Crab CakeVictoriousDined on 5/14/2014I have never had such an incredible crab cake - it was all crab meat held together by some seasoned bread crumbs - they use colossal crab meat - the best I've had in years!Special Features:
- FoodFoodieVIPDined on 5/7/2014I was disappointed with the Caesar Salad which was pre-made and kept in the cooler for quite awhile. The choices for wine were red or white but the entree was very good. If they fix a few of the basics this could be a very nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Not bad but not memorable.dmhenrieDined on 5/7/2014Restaurant decor was nice but dated. A place your grandparents would like. They had quite a few service people but service was somewhat slow start to finish. My wife and I had some of the items they are noted for ( they say ). She had the Chicken francais which had good flavor but j thought breading could of been better. I had the 10oz cheese covered filet mignon with hot sauce. The meat wad thick and tender, more medium than the medium rare i ordered, my choice not to send back. The cheese covering wad a nice thought but actually became hard while eating. The sauce tasted very much like standard red hot bottle sauce.
- The following 208 reviews are from the Oyster reviews archive.
- Awesome Dining Experience!GenHinDined on 4/21/2014I'm from Philadelphia, and I was looking for somewhere to dine while in Wilkes-Barre for my boyfriend's birthday. I chose this place based off of its great online reviews, and it definitely held up! Their fried calamari appetizer is amazing! (You must try it!) My boyfriend had the mussels marinara appetizer, and there were too many for him to eat! (lol) For our entrees, we had the stuffed haddock and the lumpy NY strip, both served with mashed potatoes and veggies- all outstanding! We were very happy! The waiter (I believe his name was Darrell) even brought out a chocolate mouse cake and surprised the both of us with dessert for my boyfriend's birthday! I didn't give it 5 stars is because we didn't enjoy our cocktails - but that was minor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemJerryMDined on 4/10/2014My family was vacationing in the Poconos when my wife and I had an opportunity to go out to dinner without our daughter. We found Oyster online and based upon its reviews, we decided to give it a shot for "date night". We were a little concerned to discover that it was inside of the Best Western but once inside the restaurant those concerns were allayed. The décor was nice, the service was very good, and the food was excellent. If we find ourselves out by Wilkes-Barre again, we will most likely be stopping by for another very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedSusanGDined on 4/7/2014Beautiful dining room but food was not worth the price. Lobster bisque was very thin Cioppino, menu description was in a white wine sauce, was cold and in a red sauce. Waiter tried to tell us that they add tomatoes to the white sauce??? What??? Waiter talked to much about himself intruding on our conversation
- Hidden GemWilkesBarreVIPDined on 3/28/2014We found this place and the food delicious. The waitress suggested a South Beach Martini and it was a great complement to the Sea Bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Favorite.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014Found this amazing place by chance online. Made reservations for 7:00. I arrived on time and was greeted by the staff working that evening. Forgive me I'm terrible with names but our hostess/waitress was absolutely wonderful. My friend was running late. She directed me to my table and promptly offered a drink while i waited. The dining room was stunning, just beautifully decorated.It was a slow night. I'm not too versed on the area. We had a wonderful chat about the history of the restaurant and surrounding areas. The food arrived promptly. It was very good as well as the presentation. Honestly what made the night completely worth it was the hostess and her hospitality. I feel terrible i can't remember her name. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice surpriseCesarDined on 3/15/2014Only draw back is the entrance were you have to walk through the cigar bar. Other than that a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a party of four celebratingMDLPAVIPDined on 3/8/2014We were a party of four celebrating a Birthday. Our food was delicious. The fillets were excellent, as were the Lobsters. The coconut pie is a delicious desert. Our waitress was very capable and friendly. The atmosphere is quite pleasant. Our big complaint was the fact that we had to walk through a smoke filled bar area to get to the restaurant and every time the door opened, we smelled the smoke.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donna our server was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014Donna our server was wonderful. I wish they had a better appetizer menu! Dinner was great. Steak was cooked perfectly and the presentation was lovely.Special Features:
- Favorite Romantic Dinner SpotdebbieDined on 3/8/2014When in the Wilkes Barre area we love going to the Oyster Bar and Restaurant at Genetti's Best Western. Excellent food and wonderful staff as well as a beautiful quiet romantic dinner site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went forcanddDined on 3/5/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary and were, literally, the only people in the restaurant. It was very pretty and romantic. Our waitress was outstanding and really took care of us. It was a great place to go for our special occasion.Special Features:
- Will be back!94RacerDined on 2/22/2014The 5 Star ratings say it all. No complaints about anything. Loved everything, from the cocktails & salad to the desserts & cordials, with a great main course in the middle. Great staff too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unappealing atmospherePaDianeDined on 2/18/2014This was a business dinner with an out-of town guest, so the location was convenient. Oyster is located inside an older hotel--Genetti's, and perhaps for that reason, the layout and ambiance of the restaurant is quite odd. It seems to have been created by building walls in a larger space, and it felt like we were eating in a large, gauze-draped box. Our server was quite nice and the food was okay, but I would not choose this place again.
- This restaurant has deliciousFrosty2Dined on 2/15/2014This restaurant has delicious food and excellent service and atmosphere. However a major drawback is the smoke filled bar. We were not able to enjoy a drink in the bar and unfortunately would probably choose other restaurants to dine with friends as we are all non smokers who usually spend time in the bar before dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Food was very good. Service was good. Valentine's Dinner, was not very crowded at all. Not sure why..Everywhere else seemed booked to capacity that night. A little pricey, but not horrible.....Wanted to try the appetizers, but the waiter forgot to put them in. By the time we realized it, our main course came. Understandable if the restaurant was crowded, but it was not. He did take them off the bill. Was very apologetic......We would eat there again for a special occasion, but not on a regular basis.....Special Features:
- Who knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/1/2014Went skiing in PA over the weekend with my son-in law and 5 year old grandson. Wanted to pick place close to our hotel. Well did we get lucky. Restaurant is located in a Best Western, which I must admit gave me reason to pause. With the exception of the wedge salad which was heavy on the vinegar for me the entire meal was excellent. Our server Donna did a fantastic job. Crab cake appetizer was first class. Grandson had the chicken tenders, the best chicken tenders I have had next to my wife's. Surf & turf at $39 was off the chart good. SIL went for the black & blue strip which beside the hunk of grizzle was excellent. Shared a chocolate decadence for dessert, great! House Pinot Noir and all is was spot on. Oyster was a real winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceKeithDined on 1/10/2014This was our first time dining here and it certainly won't be the last. Great food, large portions, meticulous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited Oyster for ourJeeper74Dined on 12/31/2013We visited Oyster for our New Years night out. The experience was very good and my date was quite pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!DerekDined on 11/25/2013Appetizers were amazing, entrees were even better! Service was great, and I love the bar! Brought two Oyster virgins with me and they absolutely loved it as well. I highly recommend the oysters rockefeller. Thanks again, I shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above ExpectationdebbieDined on 11/2/2013This is a totally awesome restaurant ! First time here and couldn't believe how great everything was. Great ambience plus fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oyster celebrationdiningdivaDined on 10/18/2013my husband and I just had a wonderful dinner at oyster. first of all, the martini list is quite extensive. the only problem is trying to pick the best one out. we settled on the lemon drop martini and the chocolate raspberry martini. we couldn't resist the raspberry mojito so we ordered one of those also.....all drinks were quite yummy. one of the best entrees at oyster is their cooked to order steaks. our steaks were cooked perfectly. if you are not a steak lover, their menu is quite extensive so there is enough to pick from. just remember to save room for dessert because they have quite a nice selection. we settled on the chocolate but I also had the coconut crème pie on my last visit. both received high marks. high marks to oyster.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingJomarDined on 9/14/2013The food at the restaurant was simply outstanding. Everything from the appetizer to the entree to the dessert was spot on. They offered an abundance of drinks and the server was very considerate and on top of things. I took my gf there and we both are definitely going to go back.Special Features:
- Food and service was greatHazletonDined on 9/14/2013Donna our server was outstanding. Knew everything on the menu. Food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Master of allRedorgohomeVIPDined on 7/19/2013Darrell greeted us seated us served us and gave outstanding advice on not only the menu but also the drinks and wine. The food was outstanding but Darrell made the night memorable. Obviously the oysters were an attraction. The oysters Rockefeller were the best I've ever had. Their martini list had somewhere in the neighborhood of 89 different choices. The house Malbeck was excellent. I may only ask for additional wines by the glass as an improvement. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ServiceljdinesVIPDined on 7/2/2013Food was OK but there wasn't too much choice in the area. Our server, Darryl actually made the meal - he was extraordinary. The level of enthusiasm was contagious - unfortunately the food was mediocre. I had the haddock which was tasteless. My husband however enjoyed his tuna. I would probably try again on the hopes that I picked an off meal - it would be worth going back for the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersKeithDined on 6/26/2013I had the lobster tail and my wife had the scallops. Both were good. Excellent salad. Reasonable bottle of wine from Chile that was discounted. The wine list ranged from around $18 to over $500 for a bottle of Opus One. The waiter was very personable and had time to engage us in conversation. Overall pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always love Oyster butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2013We always love Oyster but this time the food had a few problems. We got the meatballs as an appetizer and they were super fatty. Also, the NY strip was excessively fatty. I understand meat needs nice far ratio but it really was too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2013The food was excellent and the service was great, Best Calamari we have ever had. Oyster rockefeller was delicious. I had the scallops were delicious and my husband had the haddock. Delicious. All around I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and the price wasnt that bad either.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Awesome waiter, amazing food, my husband and I were just in town for the evening and this restaurant was wonderful (and admittedly my husband and I were a bit snobby in our expectations of a Wilkes-Barre restaurant, being from the NYC metropolitan area, lol.)Special Features:
- Delicious and affordable!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013This place had mixed reviews online, but my boyfriend and I decided to try it out for ourselves. The atmosphere is nice, quiet, & would be great for a romantic dinner or special occasion. The lighting is dark inside, which I prefer to overly harsh lighted restaurants. We started with drinks and the crabcake appetizer, which was delicious. Crispy on one side and delicate on the other with 2 sauces to choose from. I had to try an oyster also for obvious reasons. I'm not big into raw seafood, but the oyster was so fresh and just seemed to melt in my mouth. I indulged in the scampi style surf and turf which is a steal at the price of only $29.99! It was cooked perfectly and was a generous portion. He got the Chilean sea bass which was delish!Special Features: