401 7th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oyamel.com/
- Phone: 2026281005x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Andres; Head Chef, Omar Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that accommodate up to 50 guests and cocktail reception up to 75 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Felicia Perez 202-638-0202x
- Special Events: Our Butterfly Bar can accommodate groups of up to 20 guests. Oyamel also features a lovely private dining room that accommodates 50 guests. For large parties, full or partial buyouts of the restaurant, accommodating 175 guests, can be arranged.
- Cross Street: D Street
- Public Transit: Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter on the yellow and green lines; Gallery Place/Chinatown on the red, yellow and green lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are ample public lots in the Gallery Place/Chinatown/Penn Quarter area. Metered street parking is also available.
A word from Oyamel
Oyamel Cocina Mexicana combines Mexico’s rich regional culinary traditions with modern urban fare. Guests experience an array of antijitos—traditional Mexican snack or small plates—along with authentic tacos, ceviches and an impressive selection of cocktails and tequilas. This is like no Mexican food you have ever experienced. Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Head Chef Colin King takes traditional ingredients and techniques and elevates them to deliver dishes and drinks with exceptional creativity and refinement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Oyamel - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Oyamel reviews from OpenTable diners
540 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (366)hot spot (232)vibrant bar scene (186)good for groups (180)great for lunch (157)neighborhood gem (155)special occasion (143)great for brunch (53)late-night find (50)great for outdoor dining (39)romantic (32)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (16)scenic view (7)Show More
- GreatHollDollDined on 10/29/2014The food is always fabulous and it's always fun to try a new cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Good DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014I loved everything I ordered except the tacos. I wasn't impressed with the tacos at all. I also thought that the dessert was just okay. My server was knowledgeable about the menu which made it a great experience. I did however had to ask for more water. The tables are too close together so it's easy to overhear other's conversations. I would go again for everything but dessert and tacos.Special Features:
- Fresh Food. Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/28/2014Good Mexican food for DC area. Waiter, Sam, was awesome. Ceviche and guac were both extremely fresh. Tasty margaritas. Have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyamel gone down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/28/2014I remember it being far better. Everything tasted flat. The fries were frozen fries that had been reheated. The guacamole had too much lime. The desserts were the best part.Special Features:
- Unique EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014I had the pleasure of eating at Oyamel with my kids and my friend and his daughter. We come from California and my friend commented "why are we going to a Mexican restaurant in DC when we have great Mexican restaurants in California?" To that, I said that this is a unique restaurant, in which it is a authentic Mexico City type restaurant. But, still I was nervous that my selection of restaurants may not satisfy him. Well, it did. Even our kids liked the food. However, ,all our kids are future Foodies, since they tend to eat anything we put in front of them, which is more than I can say for a lot of our friends' kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014Wonderful tuna and Hawaiian sunfish ceviche, a gorgeous stuffed poblano pepper and meaty, tasty tacos. It was a wonderful dinner and the service could not have been better. Our server knew everything about the menu and guided us well. We will definitely put this in our rotation of 701, Central and Oyamel on our regular movie nights at E Street Movies. Oyamel is my current favorite in the Penn Quarter.Special Features:
- Overpriced Gourmet MexicanLeslieavaVIPDined on 10/25/2014Upscale Mexican. Soups were flavorful but Hearts of Palm Salad, a few bites for ten dollars. Chips and salsa never brought to the table. Service slow.
- MichaelOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014All good but very loud. Not a good place for any kind of decent conversation. Excellent food and service; worth the price.Special Features:
- OyamelFamilyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Oyamel never disappoints and is our favorite go to spot in Penn Quarter. The most important things are that the food is always excellent and also consistent. The taste is always as you remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014Service wavered between feeling rushed (they bussed too quickly) and forgotten (likely our server had too many tables to attend to). We arrived early and they sat us right away but at a very small table in a high traffic area; we had to ask to be moved. Don't expect an intimate experience, except perhaps at the ceviche bar, because all tables are packed tight. We went on a Tuesday at 6p and I couldn't imagine what it is like on a Friday or Saturday night! The whole place is very nicely decorated. The ceviches were incredible, as was the duck. Everything else we got was so-so (potatoes with mole, meatballs, rice pudding). All in all it was good, but I'm not rushing back.
- An early dinnerVanceDined on 10/19/2014Met a friend in Penn Quarter for a movie & then went to Oyamel for an early dinner. This is the second trip for us: once for lunch & now for dinner. The food is excellent & we had a very good mix of items & flavors. Ceviche with pecans is a new take and delicious. The brisket taco is the best taco I've ever tasted. Had the pork belly quesidilla, the albondigas, Brussels sprouts, & several other plates. This place is worth your time, but make sure you have plenty. Dishes roll out as they are done in the kitchen & not in stages. The pace is relaxed & gives the table plenty of time to chat & look forward to the next round.Special Features:
- Consistently fantasticcookbikerunDined on 10/18/2014Every time we're in D.C. to visit our son at school, Oyamel is on our itinerary. Always a highlight. Carnitas tacos are mandatory.Special Features:
- OyamelJaykayVIPDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant is amazing! The ambience is very appealing. Bright colors. We had a great booth with colorful pillows. Plenty of room for the three of us. The food comes in tapas size portions giving you the ability to taste lots of different things. Chips & salsa, queso fundito, mushroom tacos, brussel sprouts, plantain fritters, margaritas-all DELICIOUS. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- wonderful surpriseSteveVIPDined on 10/17/2014Went for lunch. Bean soup beyond incredible. Lunch specials a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual atmosphere, excellent food!DiningdivaVIPDined on 10/16/2014For many this would be the perfect restaurant. The food is the caliber of a fine restaurant but the mood is casual and fun. The walls are covered in sayings in Spanish and the Ceviche bar is so clever. Try the guacamole (made table side) even though the wait for the food is not a long one. Tapas are interesting and varied. There have a menu for those with allergies and our waitress took that menu in the kitchen where, with the help of the kitchen staff, she eliminated some items which my husband is allergic to but which are not common allergies (like peas!)All the food comes at once so be sure to eat the hot stuff first, or better yet, combine 2 dishes if they would be better together than apart. I highly recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grasshopper Tacos!LoveDeuxaveVIPDined on 10/15/2014Yes, grasshopper tacos. I finally tried them. They were... interesting. The guacomole, which is prepared table-side, is fantastic. All the tapas we got were pretty tasty. The drinks were also pretty good. The decor & ambiance is really cool as well, especially if you like butterflies! The hostess was polite and nice. In this business, a smile goes a long way, and the hostesses @ Oyamel get it. Our server was also very nice, quick, and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service loved Alex the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014We had a group that enjoyed the evening. They accomodated a change for reservations to allow for parking. The waiter was great and attentive. It was our first time there but loved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple food elevated to stardomDateNightEatsDined on 10/14/2014This was some of the most delicious food I've ever had utilizing simple ingredients found in most latino kitchens. Beans, rice, cheese, vegetables, all became delightful treats without becoming pretentious. We went for an anniversary celebration, and for a romantic dinner, it was a little loud and bustling, but we were seated at a booth in the back corner so I still felt like we had lots of privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Fabulous!!!MoniDined on 10/14/2014Delicious food, small bites and entrees perfect for sharing. Beautiful environment and fresh drinks! New fav in DC!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Evening at OyamelKathieDined on 10/12/2014What a great evening--6 of us dear friends met Sunday night at Oyamel--first time to eat at the restaurant and it was an incredible experience. Our waiter, Sergio was fantastic and based on his suggestion, we ordered the Chef Special and they were very accommodating to one in our party who has a severe shellfish allergy. The variety of tapas, the wonderful different flavors of each dish was quite impressive. We had about 11 different tapas, including dessert and by the time dessert was served, no one could eat another bite. We also ordered pitchers of the Oyamel Margaritas with salt foam...keep those pitchers coming! We will be back...Special Features:
- Love the Bar and the FoodTimBDined on 10/11/2014Great drinks with wonderful tequila selections. Fresh guacamole and salsa. Small plate concept with Mexican food using unique ingredients. Very creative menu. Been there a few times now and it has never disappointed. Better get a reservation. It's crowded and popular and its a wait to simply walk in and expect a table on weekend nights for sure. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for vegans!KiKiDined on 10/11/2014Always looking for someplace that my whole family can enjoy - from the foodie vegan to the adventurous 10 year old. Oyamel is just fabulous! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JhoytDined on 10/11/2014Food and service were fantastic. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Food was good, great flavor although portions were extremely small. Very busy and very noisy. cannot have a quiet conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much too loudDcdwellerDined on 10/8/2014Great food, but so loud we had to shout our conversation. Will not go back due to this issue.Special Features:
- Lunch at OyamelJudyDined on 10/3/2014Food was delicious, especially the tuna. Service excellent.Special Features:
- brisket tortaLauraUVIPDined on 10/2/2014I went for lunch and had a brisket torta (sandwich). It was delicious and very reasonably priced ad came with a good sized caesar salad. The only problem was that one of the wait staff kept trying to bring us food that was destined for other tables.
- One of My Favorite Spots!HotSpotDined on 10/1/2014I love to bring friends, especially friends in town, to Oyamel! Food, service, atmosphere is amazing!Special Features:
- Maravilloso!LBMemphisDined on 10/1/2014We were meeting friends for dinner. Made reservations based on comments. Oyamel did not disappoint. Everyone enjoyed the small plate menu and no one left hungry. I enjoyed the black bean soup with the avocado and roasted pepper add ins. We were delighted with the flavor combinations and the opportunity to expand our culinary experience with the grasshopper taco.Special Features:
- El mejor mexicano de WashingtonJuangrilloDined on 9/29/2014Hace tres años en mi última visita a Washington conocí Oyamel, y me encantó, así que esta vez que venia solo con mi esposa, sabíamos que teníamos que regresar. Y la sorpresa fue grande, Oyamel está aún mejor, su comida es excelente el guacamole es inigualable, los margaritas perfectos y el servicio de primera categoría. Y ya todos lo saben, porque a las 7 pm estaba totalmente lleno. Siempre lo recomendare y siempre volveré. Y para finalizar la portorriqueña que atiende en el bar es absolutamente preciosa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014We enjoyed great tapas and a double-order of guacamole which is offered in three heat levels (mild, medium, and hot). Service was excellent. I also like the fact I could make a firm reservation instead of "call ahead," and our table was ready when we walked in. Noise level is fairly high, so for someone like me with hearing problems might find it difficult to track every bit of the cross-table conversation. Otherwise a very pleasant dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ITZELDined on 9/29/2014VERY GOOD FOOD AS ALWAYS, BUT THE HUITLACOCHE WITH RICE WAS SALTY. EVERY-TIME I ASK FOR THIS DISH IS THE SAME. THE SERVICE DURING THE WEEKENDS IS WONDERFUL!! BUT THE SERVICE FROM MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY FOR LUNCH IS POOR.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night with friendsmexstormDined on 9/27/2014We had a great meal at Oyamel on a busy Saturday night. We were seated right away on a table that was a little tight for 6 people, but it was cozy and it worked. We had AWESOME margaritas and all of the small plates we ordered were delicious. The queso fundido con chorizo was by far our favorite. We ended up ordering another helping. We then switched to a taco course which were good, but not great (hence the four star food rating). For example, we all got a brisket taco and I would have liked to see the meat cooked a little more so it was falling apart and a little more flavorful. Oyamel hit the ball out of the park with the dessert so overall, we were VERY happy.Special Features:
- Fantastic as Always!CraigVIPDined on 9/27/2014Excellent Caesar salad, Brussel sprouts, chips and salsa. And the wine! Great service, beautiful afternoon on outdoors patio.Special Features:
- Perfect for a boozy brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Fun place for lunch or brunch with a small group after hitting up the museums. Everything is shareable but small. The staff will let you know how much to order. You can order guacamole made at table side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experpiencemcgwuireVIPDined on 9/26/2014The entire experience at Oyamel was solid. Excellent drinks, food, service and priced reasonably. Can't really ask for much more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchCharlieDined on 9/26/2014Interesting, plentiful, and tasty food, great service brought our business lunch together. Thanks!Special Features:
- Oyamel Tasting MenuBEMEDined on 9/24/2014We appreciated an opportunity to dine on a special tasting menu tailored a bit to our desires. While the food was wonderful and the drink pairing well orchestrated, we left feeling overstuffed. It was far too much food and as a result we both felt bloated for hours after. Is it really necessary to serve 2 people a full serving of guacamole or two desserts, which we barely touched due to our overt fullness? PLEASE scale down the tasting menu's portion sizes. I don't mind leaving full but I do mind leaving overburdened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but boringOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014The food is consistent and good, especially the ceviche and chips and salsa. But, the menu never changes and is kind of boring. Standard fare you'd get in most Mexican restaurants, despite the fact that Andres is from Spain. Overpriced! $60 for lunch for two, no alcohol, before tips and our meal was pretty light. Nice decor though and atmosphere. Just wish the food were more creative for the high prices.Special Features:
- Poor Service, No Apologies.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014Oyamel messes up at least five times (wrong dishes at table; no chorizo in chilaquiles; chips and salsa arrive 20 mins late) in one lunch. No apologies which means blatant disregard or lack of self awareness. AND they charged us for a taco that was not ordered or eaten. That was a lost two hours and $105.60 (Hint: you can refund us, Jose Andres).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.