401 7th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oyamel.com/
- Phone: 2026281005x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Andres; Head Chef, Omar Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering on a whole new level José Andrés Catering elevates catering and event planning to new heights in the Washington, DC area and beyond. Now you can experience the inspired creations of celebrated chef José Andrés at your own party or venue. Visit us for more information at www.joseandrescatering.com, or call us at (301) 913-0003.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that accommodate up to 50 guests and cocktail reception up to 75 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Felicia Perez 202-638-0202x
- Special Events: Our Butterfly Bar can accommodate groups of up to 20 guests. Oyamel also features a lovely private dining room that accommodates 50 guests. For large parties, full or partial buyouts of the restaurant, accommodating 175 guests, can be arranged.
- Cross Street: D Street
- Public Transit: Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter on the yellow and green lines; Gallery Place/Chinatown on the red, yellow and green lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are ample public lots in the Gallery Place/Chinatown/Penn Quarter area. Metered street parking is also available.
A word from Oyamel
Oyamel Cocina Mexicana combines Mexico’s rich regional culinary traditions with modern urban fare. Guests experience an array of antijitos—traditional Mexican snack or small plates—along with authentic tacos, ceviches and an impressive selection of cocktails and tequilas. This is like no Mexican food you have ever experienced. Under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, Head Chef Colin King takes traditional ingredients and techniques and elevates them to deliver dishes and drinks with exceptional creativity and refinement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oyamel - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Oyamel reviews from OpenTable diners
599 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (389)hot spot (240)vibrant bar scene (198)good for groups (190)great for lunch (171)neighborhood gem (170)special occasion (162)late-night find (65)great for brunch (62)great for outdoor dining (43)romantic (40)kid-friendly (31)notable wine list (16)scenic view (9)Show More
- El mejor mexicano de WashingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2014Hace tres años en mi última visita a Washington conocí Oyamel, y me encantó, así que esta vez que venia solo con mi esposa, sabíamos que teníamos que regresar. Y la sorpresa fue grande, Oyamel está aún mejor, su comida es excelente el guacamole es inigualable, los margaritas perfectos y el servicio de primera categoría. Y ya todos lo saben, porque a las 7 pm estaba totalmente lleno. Siempre lo recomendare y siempre volveré. Y para finalizar la portorriqueña que atiende en el bar es absolutamente preciosa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014We enjoyed great tapas and a double-order of guacamole which is offered in three heat levels (mild, medium, and hot). Service was excellent. I also like the fact I could make a firm reservation instead of "call ahead," and our table was ready when we walked in. Noise level is fairly high, so for someone like me with hearing problems might find it difficult to track every bit of the cross-table conversation. Otherwise a very pleasant dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night with friendsmexstormDined on 9/27/2014We had a great meal at Oyamel on a busy Saturday night. We were seated right away on a table that was a little tight for 6 people, but it was cozy and it worked. We had AWESOME margaritas and all of the small plates we ordered were delicious. The queso fundido con chorizo was by far our favorite. We ended up ordering another helping. We then switched to a taco course which were good, but not great (hence the four star food rating). For example, we all got a brisket taco and I would have liked to see the meat cooked a little more so it was falling apart and a little more flavorful. Oyamel hit the ball out of the park with the dessert so overall, we were VERY happy.Special Features:
- Fantastic as Always!CraigVIPDined on 9/27/2014Excellent Caesar salad, Brussel sprouts, chips and salsa. And the wine! Great service, beautiful afternoon on outdoors patio.Special Features:
- Perfect for a boozy brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Fun place for lunch or brunch with a small group after hitting up the museums. Everything is shareable but small. The staff will let you know how much to order. You can order guacamole made at table side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experpiencemcgwuireVIPDined on 9/26/2014The entire experience at Oyamel was solid. Excellent drinks, food, service and priced reasonably. Can't really ask for much more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyamel Tasting MenuBEMEDined on 9/24/2014We appreciated an opportunity to dine on a special tasting menu tailored a bit to our desires. While the food was wonderful and the drink pairing well orchestrated, we left feeling overstuffed. It was far too much food and as a result we both felt bloated for hours after. Is it really necessary to serve 2 people a full serving of guacamole or two desserts, which we barely touched due to our overt fullness? PLEASE scale down the tasting menu's portion sizes. I don't mind leaving full but I do mind leaving overburdened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but boringOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014The food is consistent and good, especially the ceviche and chips and salsa. But, the menu never changes and is kind of boring. Standard fare you'd get in most Mexican restaurants, despite the fact that Andres is from Spain. Overpriced! $60 for lunch for two, no alcohol, before tips and our meal was pretty light. Nice decor though and atmosphere. Just wish the food were more creative for the high prices.Special Features:
- Poor Service, No Apologies.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014Oyamel messes up at least five times (wrong dishes at table; no chorizo in chilaquiles; chips and salsa arrive 20 mins late) in one lunch. No apologies which means blatant disregard or lack of self awareness. AND they charged us for a taco that was not ordered or eaten. That was a lost two hours and $105.60 (Hint: you can refund us, Jose Andres).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Mexican foodgeoriginDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I enjoyed Oyamel thoroughly. The food was impeccable. Do not be afraid of the Chapulines (authentic grasshopper tacos), they taste and feel like meat; this is not a gimmick, it is real mexican food. Will definitely be coming back again!Special Features:
- Brunch at OyamelBTsmomDined on 9/21/2014Waiter was a little impatient and, probably because of that, sloppy. One guest didn't know immediately what beverage she wanted. Rather than saying he'd give her a minute to decide and he'd come back, he just left. Two guests never got dishes they ordered (we were charged for one but not the other). The restaurant was busy but I don't see that as an excuse for poor service. The food was good and i'd give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumfredVIPDined on 9/20/2014We dined there for our third wedding anniversary and choose the chef tasting option. It was a glorious culinary adventure.Special Features:
- Fav!GWM2Dined on 9/20/2014After moving from Virgina to Chicago this is a must stop, when I go back to visit with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A magical worldJanetrobDined on 9/20/2014I took two visitors from the UK to Oyamel. They are well-travelled professional people. They have never been to Mexico, but now they want to visit! Why? They loved everything about Oyamel. The server was friendly and made wonderful recommendations based on input from his guests. The food and drinks were fantastic and unique. A great place to take people who want to try something different. Or, for those who just love great food in a fun environment!Special Features:
- Date nightAlexiscurryDined on 9/19/2014We went with a group of friends, they all received their food and waited for me to receive mine. After about 10 mins of not getting my food, I called the waitress over to tell her, and she after about 10 more mins I finally received my order. This led me to only assume that the waitress did not put in my order, I expected my meal to be free or to get an explanation as to why it took so long and got nothing. We still tipped our waitress 15% but she was not a good server at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunnyarwDined on 9/19/2014Service was wonderful and the food was excellent. It was insanely loud. However, I know it's hard to control noise. It's not fun to scream across the table at dinner time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014I've been to Oyamel several times now and it has never disappointed. The food is always great, as are the drinks. They have a great tequila selection. Although the tacos are supposed to be street food size, you don't have to order $60 of food to be filled up. All in all, I love this place and highly recommend it to anyone who loves good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the coctails and foodfunfoodieDined on 9/19/2014It was our first time to the restaurant and Oyamel met all the hype and expectations we have of a Jose Andres restaurant. Delicious food and drinks. We came during happy hour, so it was loud in the front part of the restaurant. However, we were given a table in a quieter room away from the bar so was able to enjoy the quieter ambiance. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- Great Date Night spot!SuburbanParentsDined on 9/19/2014This place was recommended by a friend and we are so glad we listened! We live out in the 'burbs and were looking for yummy eats! Service was a little slow, I think because it was packed, but if you are with good company and patient, it is well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but tasty.AndrewDined on 9/18/2014The food and service were great, everything on the menu (even the grasshoppers) is worth a try. My only issue was the noise level, like dull roar. It was hard to hear the waitstaff let alone eachother.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visit when in DC.JeffDined on 9/17/2014The food was delicious. The waiter definately made the night over the top. The celebrities often show up at thia hotspot so keep your eyes open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodErimDined on 9/15/2014Food is amazing! Loved the guacamole, chips and salsa, Chile en nogada and Birria were amazing too but the birria was a very small portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeattleDined on 9/15/2014Food was very good, small portions but good too share just need to order more if your hungry.Special Features:
- ALWAYS SPOT ONPBGFOODIEDined on 9/15/2014If you like sharing and small dishes that are outstanding then this is the place for you-always extremely good-tried grasshopper tacos and they were great. Third time there and its always very very good. Craving Mexican then go.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderfulJeffDined on 9/15/2014I love Oyamel! It's easily one of my favorites in DC. The food was wonderful, the cocktails are inventive and delicious, and our server, Andrew K, was really friendly and helpful. Overall, I couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Home made Mexican foodWant2bchefDined on 9/14/2014What can I say about oyamel. It is my favorite Mexican place. The ambiance is great. It's lively and fun. The food is outstanding. Especially the guacamole and salsa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Lots of great tapas to try- friendly staff, I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Againphillyborn315Dined on 9/12/2014I've been to a lot of tapas restaurants in many different states and this was the worse. I can tell it's a popular place with the 20 to 30 something crowd but I wasn't impressed. I left hungry and felt my money wasn't well spent.Special Features:
- Pre Theatre DinnerFoodnDrinkGuyDined on 9/12/2014Food was good but not great. When foods were delivered they were given to the wrong people at the table. It became confusing since many of us had ordered tacos and they all looked alike. Server took drink orders for 4 people and came back with 1 drink. It was not what I have come to expect at Think restaurants. I am hoping it was an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every penny!NOVAPickyEaterDined on 9/11/2014My fiance and I have been here before, but our most recent experience was especially nice. We had reservations at 9pm and were greeted and seated right away. Our waiter was exceptional and suggested a few dishes, which were delicious. The food was brought out promptly, but not rushed, it tasted incredible, and the presentation was stellar. I don't like scallops but the Los cayos jarochos literally melted in my mouth. The staff was friendly and informative and the atmosphere was relaxed yet upscale. There was an old black and white Spanish movie projected on a screen that we found particularly entertaining. We absolutely loved everything about our experience and will definitely recommend to friends!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014tables are a little tight but a very good experience.
- Great!JeanneDined on 9/11/2014We had a wonderful experience at Oyamel. The food and service was great! We split several tapas and it was more than enough food. Definitely worth making the reservation as we had to wait for our table, even though we had made a prior reservation.Special Features:
- Love This Placeflhx07Dined on 9/9/2014I absolutely love this place. Every time I have friends in from out of town I try to bring them here. The guac is amazing, great margaritas (especially the spicy Don's), and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- MichaelBVIPDined on 9/9/2014The grasshopper tacos were unusual but delicious, and the horchata (i.e., a creamy rice drink w/ Mexican cinnamon) was the best that I've ever had! Two caveats: (1) The noise level is deafening (both in the bar & the dining area); so, if you want to have a conversation, plan to shout at each other the whole time you're there. (2) The drinks (wine & cocktails) are very overpriced, except during happy hour (M-F, 4-6); so, go early to do your drinking and then have dinner.Special Features:
- bravo oyamelrufkdlkDined on 9/9/2014the food is small plates so you do sometimes leave thinking "where do i eat?" but the service, particularly Sergio and Angel, are first rate and the desk staff always makes sure there is a server which everyone should do. I like the caesar salad and black bean soup or the chicken soup and tamal verde. Wish they had soup and salad combinations, also manager and chef said they have churros but not on the menus. Desserts not too tempting but i'd go back in a minute. Jose Andres should be proud of this place, the food and its incredible people. They are all first rate in my book. Mucho gusto.Special Features:
- Delicious and funJTucDined on 9/7/2014Loved getting to pick a bunch of small plates and share with my husband. Every item was delicious. Great decor, service, and food. Affordable too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun brunch spot!OldTownFoodieVIPDined on 9/7/2014Reliably great food. The small plates are a lot of fun and there are many vegetarian options. The seasonal limeade is another highlight. One of my favorite places for brunch in the city.Special Features:
- partridgepegVIPDined on 9/7/2014We started with a "Tequila Bloody Mary" that set the tone for a great lunch. The ceviche appetizer was great as well as the snapper for an entrée. The "blackened shrimp" was the tastiest version that I have ever experienced. And, even though I thought that the tapas menu seemed a little limited, the tapas on the menu were very tempting. Our server, Sam, was on top of his game, and we really enjoyed his recommendations.Special Features:
- When the rain cameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We initially sat outside. I was surprised how efficiently the staff moved us indoors before the rain started (table of 5). My hats off to the red haired manager on Saturday the 6th. I'm former military and I can sense when operations are well run. Also, food here is just the best.Special Features:
- bramptondinerDined on 9/6/2014BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER- without a shadow of a doubt. This place is unreal. The freshly mixed guacuamole at the table was delicious. Every plate was a different flavour and every plate was better than the last. The braised beef tacos are a must have. You must eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.