Oya Restaurant & Lounge
777 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Oya Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oyadc.com/
- Phone: 2023931400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday : 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30 pm Late Night Happy Hour Friday & Saturday 11pm - 2am Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm All Night Sushi Happy Hour Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - close, Friday 5:00pm - 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Avinash Rana
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off Site Drop Off Catering and Sushi Platters to GO
- Special Events: Semi-private dining room for groups of 10-32 guests
Small Lounge for 15-20 guests
Large Lounge for 30-40 guests
Lounge Buyout for 50-100 guests
Restaurant Buyout for 125 guests seated or 350 guests standing reception
A word from Oya Restaurant & Lounge
OYA promises guests an exquisite experience through exceptional food, contouring textures, smooth vibes and sophisticated service. Serving an innovative menu of creative sushi, small plates beginning at $6 and entrees that blends the best of Classic American with an Asian flair. All set in a beautifully theatrical designed space. OYA brings a unique flair for ingredients and flavors to the Washington, DC dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Oya Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Oya Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (158)romantic (142)fit for foodies (103)hot spot (83)good for groups (77)vibrant bar scene (72)great for lunch (53)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (39)late-night find (35)great for brunch (12)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great lunch spotGirlscout57Dined on 8/25/2014Food is always great - great staff. Spicy Crunchy Shrimp roll is the best - even if it's not on the menu anymore!Special Features:
- Great before theater.ChevyDanDined on 8/22/2014Went before Sweeney Todd at Warehouse Theater. Mussels and asparagus ravioli were great. Waiter brought a taste of a couple of wine s before we chose, which was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service is much too slowenewVIPDined on 8/22/2014We ate at Oya for lunch and whereas the food was delicious, the serving of the food was painfully slow. We selected the Restaurant Week lunch menu, which had three courses, and we had to depart before dessert was brought to the table. It took at least 20-25 minutes for the first course - 2 salads! - to come to the table. The restaurant has to be more attuned to the 'lunch crowd' and hustle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Amazing service and great food! Our waiter and the hostess were extremely attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeTheprez77Dined on 8/20/2014I always enjoy eating here. Food was great but the waiter was less than competent. He spilled water on me several times and seemed to have a problem focusing. May not do too many business lunches here anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect mealFoodieDCDined on 8/19/2014I really enjoyed my experience at OYA. The food was amazing and the service was award winning. The price fixe was the perfect opportunity to experience an array of food choices. I will OYA to my list of favorite places .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME SERVICE & AMAZING FOOD!AmandaUDined on 8/16/2014I came here for my birthday dinner and I'm so glad that I did! First of all the decor and atmosphere is so GORGEOUS! When I went to the front desk to check in for my reservation, they were so nice and friendly. When my party got there, we were promptly seated and waited on. I had one of the last dinner reservations, so the restaurant was thinning out and it wasn't too noisy except for one loud party. I ordered some kind of tuna sushi roll, a salmon entree, and the summer shortcake for dessert. They were all so delicious, perfectly cooked and seasoned! This is the perfect place for special occasions or a nice dinner. Great service & amazing food - I definitely recommend this restaurant and I would come here again!Special Features:
- Girls night outChefJWDined on 8/16/2014This place was delish!!! The good was great and inventive. Sushi fresh. Fun, strong drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb! Awesome!Jtownfab6Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant completely exceeded all expectations! Our waitress Rosie was fabulous, as was the host Walter! They made our evening so special! The food was out of this world! We had 4 rolls of sushi and it was made to perfection! We will definitely be back to OYA on our next trip to DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Great ambiance and great service! Perfect for a date.Special Features:
- JDubDined on 8/15/2014Decor & ambiance is outstanding. We went here for restaurant week as a group. Food was good, no complaints. Our waiter (Brandon) was great as well. I wish I remembered the name of the wine we got. Will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Beautiful decor. Vibrant bar scene. Stay there. The food is remarkably disappointing.Special Features:
- Great double dateBurkeFoodieDined on 8/15/2014It was a very chic, well decorated place and the service was fantastic. I really loved that I could get a sushi appetizer, and then salmon meal at one restaurant. Would definitely go back. Absolutely loved my bread pudding desert.Special Features:
- Perfect night!!GalleriaDinerDined on 8/14/2014I seriously had the most amazing night at OYA this past Thursday! The staff is extremely friendly - Walter the manager is such a gem. He made us feel right at home and made our evening very special. Also, I'm still thinking about the amazing passion fruit margarita we had... it was amazing. The food was delicious. We had four sushi rolls - the typhoon was my favorite, mac & cheese and the edamame guacamole. Everything was great! Perfect for a girls night out!Special Features:
- I LOVED IT !!!!!JoviGeorgeDined on 8/14/2014I will go back time and time again I wish I had time to try the drinks Hubby and I are going there fior date night This FridaySpecial Features:
- Loved it before but not this timeLarryDined on 8/11/2014Did not live up to expectations. Guacamole was good but ceviche was rubberie. And pork taco and chicken tamale were bland. Will go back, try again as it was very good before. Service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Better the first the timeTimbocceVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was very impressed on my first visit to Oya a couple of months ago, so I was really excited to return. I was not as pleased the second time around. It could have been that the restaurant was busier, but it seemed like our server didn't check in our table enough. It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't regularly see him apparently chatting with his colleagues. The sushi was amazing last time but this time it was just OK. We also had pork ribs as a starter and they were delicious. Our drinks were first too weak and then too strong. Our entrees, though, we're delicious. I had lamb and my guest had the branzino. Overall, this time around, the service just wasn't there, so I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent!CST13Dined on 8/9/2014The food and service was excellent! We had sushi, cocktials and entrees and everything was great. Our only complaint would be the noise level, although it wasnt too bad for a Saturday evening. We would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Waited at least half an hour after our reservation to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014We were in DC for a conference and happened upon this place for an early dinner. We arrived around 6:30 - so were able to take advantage of their early special ($25 for three courses). All three of us went for the quinoa and Kale salad which was wonderful. Two of us got the Branzino (fish) dish at the recommendation of the waiter and it was delicious - our other friend got the asparagus ravioli and really enjoyed that. The deserts (banana pudding and a very chocolate cake) were also great. The waiter staff were very attentive and helpful. It is a lovely restaurant, with a fireplace and lots of marble and white. Definitely would go here again when in DC. Also had glutton free and vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceBunniesfriendDined on 8/5/2014Friends birthday celebration went well. Server was a little slow but overall the ambiance and experience was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remarkableairmanDined on 8/2/2014Great place to celebrate special occasion. Staff is very attentive. The food is extraordinary. Fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014When celebrating a milestone with a friend, I always love to reserve a table at Oya. The ambiance is very elegant, the service is first class, and the food is delightful and enchanting. They are willing to accommodate my requests for service.I usually 10 minutes early to select a wine or champagne to be served as we sit down. The staff has a way of making you feel like you are the most important guest. My favorite dessert is the Bananas Foster Bread pudding. I highly recommend Oya for a dining experience that will not disappoint.Special Features:
- Great food & serviceYonisVDined on 7/31/2014Our server was Alexis, he was very attentive and made sure we were enjoying every second of the night. Food came out quick and tasted amazing. Too bad we couldn't finish all of it. LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatLEGGDined on 7/30/2014We went to Oya for my birthday. I specifically wanted to go to a restaurant that had good reviews but wasn't so trendy/trying too hard to be different. (Foodie mania overload). Oya fits that bill. However, I must admit that we were a little disappointed in the food. Good but not great. Interesting sounding dishes that delivered less flavor than you'd think reading the ingredients and description. I'd go again but maybe for lunch instead of a special occasion dinner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014The staff was very attentive. I was very impressed with the service. The food was excellent and was presented very well. I had the salmon and it was delicious.Special Features:
- great mealsmg13Dined on 7/27/2014My friend and I went to OYA and ordered from the Table @5 deal, where you can get three items (choosing from an app to share, a starter, an entree, a dessert, or wine/cocktail) for only $25. I got the kale and quinoa salad, the ribeye steak, and the banana bread pudding, which normally would have cost about $55 without the deal! Everything was delicious. My only complaint is that swiss chard that came with the steak was a bit salty. Otherwise, OYA is a great restaurant with great food and nice decor.Special Features:
- I love this restaurantch22VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food and drinks are amazing and the decor is incredible. We had one dish at the table that was just off for some reason (avocado soup) and our waiter handled it well and happily replaced it with something else from the menu. Everything else we ordered was outstanding. I can't wait to go back and try their great happy hour deal!Special Features:
- treated like a king and queenbrianDined on 7/25/2014We had the amazing pleasure of making dinner reservations at 6:00 and everything after being seated got better and better. the food was amazing and definitely worth checking out, but the service we received made us feel like VIPs. It was a great night and those that waited on us from our server to the manager made sure our night was memorable. As many stars as you can throw at Oya that's how many I give it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- made for a special lunchLovethecityDined on 7/24/2014Celebrating a new opportunity that will take one of us out of state, the Oya folks took note of the occasion I mentioned in the reservation and just made the entire lunch all that much more memorable and special with a mini cake and message on the dessert plate. It was a heart-warming moment and made what could have been sad and bittersweet feel festive and celebratory instead. thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyEdicahDined on 7/23/2014I really enjoyed the green tea! My executive lunch was perfect. Thanks Oya!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Everything was delicious as always! My favorite lunch spot!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerCPgoestoDCDined on 7/21/2014I wanted to go to a nice place for a birthday dinner, and Oya was perfect. Every order was delicious, including the sushi, starters, entrees, and dessert. I would definitely recommend this place to a friend, or anyone for that matter.Special Features:
- Great place!Yam4001Dined on 7/19/2014Beautiful restaurant so it is great for a date! The ambience really Sets this place above the rest! I always have pleasant experiences here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oveall Great, except a little noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2014Food was very good, service good and staff very friendly, nice décor--light and modern. However, noise from bar area came into dining area as there is not a good separation between the two areas and sometimes hard to even hear my guest speak during dinner. Otherwise great place.Special Features:
- Night outTooSaxyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Dinner started out quite well with the service. As the night went along and our server had larger groups, the service waned quite a bit. He was a little less attentive and forgetful. Overall better than average though. The atmosphere was nice but the acoustics were horrible. Noises amply and carry making it very difficult to hear the person sitting across from you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun group lunch - nice location..LaurenVIPDined on 7/16/2014OYA is a great place for lunch. The decor is awesome, love the design. The only complaint I had this time is that they cut the Pre Fixe lunch special way down. They increased the price and decreased the food. It's now served in a bento box fashion and is so small. It makes sense of course, for the restaurant, to do this. They will make more money. Other than that, our service was great and it was a fun group lunch. I am not sure why my review must be 50 characters... I have nothing more to say so I'm just trying to fill this space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyatbs1Dined on 7/15/2014Went for my bday. Great service, good food - a bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish but Mediocre Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014Oya reminded me of many young professionals I work with - they dress the part, say many of the right things, but don't have much substance or skills. Given the upscale atmosphere and the high entree prices, I expected more from Oya. The food was decently prepared, but not very flavorful or creative. The servers seemed trained in what to say and do, but ours was clearly trying to push us out quickly. She asked if we were ready for our entrees as soon as we started our appetizers, tried to remove entree plates before we were finished, and asked if we wanted to see a dessert menu when one of us was clearly not done eating. On the bright side, the bartender was wonderful and the cocktail menu was imaginative.Special Features:
- cocktail snafufoodieDined on 7/12/2014there was a bit snafu with cocktail menu that did not please me. I ordered from menu that did not carry the cocktail that I And I had to substitute. It would have been a complimentary move by OYa to prepare me that cocktail since it was advertised and care was not taken to remove menu.Special Features: