Oya Restaurant & Lounge
777 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
Oya Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oyadc.com/
- Phone: (202) 393-1400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday : 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30 pm Late Night Happy Hour Friday & Saturday 11pm - 2am Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm All Night Sushi Happy Hour Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - close, Friday 5:00pm - 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Contemporary Asian
- Executive Chef: Avinash Rana
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off Site Drop Off Catering and Sushi Platters to GO
- Special Events: Semi-private dining room for groups of 10-32 guests
Small Lounge for 15-20 guests
Large Lounge for 30-40 guests
Lounge Buyout for 50-100 guests
Restaurant Buyout for 125 guests seated or 350 guests standing reception
A word from Oya Restaurant & Lounge
OYA promises guests an exquisite experience through exceptional food, contouring textures, smooth vibes and sophisticated service. Serving an innovative menu of creative sushi and entrees that blends the best of Classic American with an Asian flair. All set in a beautifully theatrical designed space. OYA brings a unique flair for ingredients and flavors to the Washington, DC dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Oya Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Oya Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (157)fit for foodies (145)romantic (131)hot spot (113)good for groups (94)vibrant bar scene (73)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (48)notable wine list (37)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Delicious as alwaysva1evan5VIPDined on 11/22/2014The sushi is always delicious. As is the edamame guacamole. Who knew?! Husband enjoyed the steak. Definitely need to make a reservation if going on a Friday/Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place we celebrated our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Recieved a congratulations from multiple people. We just also been to SAX which was great. Cant wait to celebrate another event here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as I remember itLeeshDined on 11/22/2014I took my husband here for his birthday, and it was just as great as when I came last year for a bachelorette party. The service is awesome, and the food is terrific. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vfonDined on 11/15/2014food is overpriced and horrible but the drinks are good.Special Features:
- Just a pretty faceHca586Dined on 11/15/2014Oya's decor is gorgeous. Sushi is awesome. So was out other starter the octopus. However we ordered the lamb chops and chicken and they were just okay. The chips were tender but my homemade lamb chops are more flavorful. Service was just okay. We had to wait almost 30 min btwn our starter and main course. Then also wait for our check to be given. Meanwhile the manager kept walking around catering and flirting with all ladies tables.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasion.EeeeVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner experience. The service was great (in fact, a little over the top!), the food was delicious, the ambiance was sleek, and we didn't feel rushed. Dinner was expensive, so we'd return here for special occasions vs. just to grab dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OYA Never DisappointsnyannitelloDined on 11/14/2014OYA is consistently on their game from Sushi to Entrees to Desserts and great cocktails. Thanks as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oya - what a joyStaceyDDined on 11/13/2014We turned to Oya after walking from two other Penn quarter restaurants in the rain. One refused to seat us in a quieter spot in their half-empty dining room, the other had a 45 minute wait. Oya saved the day, not only with its fantastic food and drink menu, but also because of its attentive staff. I had been there a few times before in the last few years, the food was always great, but it hadn't yet made it to the coveted 'my favorite restaurant' spot. it's now my top go to spot! I had guests in town. They think I'm brilliant because of that evening. Thanks Oya. See you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!MeowVIPDined on 11/13/2014The food, the service, and overall ambiance was perfect. I had a business lunch here and it was perfect for us to discuss work and enjoy a meal. The server was in and out without notice and provided us everything we needed without asking. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy Penn Quarter discoveryLPG1VIPDined on 11/10/2014Five of us arrived 45 minutes late for a reservation that had been made for two. (We had called to say we were still going to show up but didn't know then that our party had grown to five.) Restaurant personnel could not have been more friendly and accommodating. The food was very good if not entirely memorable, and we certainly enjoyed it enough to look forward to returning to Oya on other occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceThrilled2dineDined on 11/9/2014The space was beautiful. The service was attentive. The food was tasty!Special Features:
- Great for Date Night!OlathefoodieDined on 11/8/2014Love Oya! Food was great and so was our server. I wish I remembered her name :( I would definitely go back to Oya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing First TimedcfoodieDined on 11/7/2014It was my first time here and and amazing experience the sushi was divine. our server priscilla was so accomodating and friendly. definitely recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- Great EveningOmygoodnessVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great evening, from making reservations, to the service and of course the food. Special thank you to Sunil, who made our evening extra special. His hospitality is wonderful. He recommended the octopus for the appetizer. We kinda cringed, and said, we've tried octopus else where, and didn't like the texture. He insisted that we try theirs and compare, and he comped it for my wife and I. It was delicious. This is my 12th maybe 20th time being there. I have no doubt I will be there 100 more times.Special Features:
- Great experiencecarli70Dined on 11/6/2014We celebrate our twins 17th birthday at OYA. They loved the "cool ambiance", specially the fireplace. Excellent ambiance, the service was great and the food delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a deal!MaryKDined on 11/5/2014My friend and I really enjoyed the 3 for $25 dinner (between 5p and 7p). It is such a deal, and my kale salad, branzino and wine were terrific. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dms11VIPDined on 11/1/2014Oya seems like a happening place...lots of young hipsters, high energy level, and great inventive menu choices from chef Avinesh Rana. It's not every restaurant that offers arugula plum salad with popcorn or charred octopus as starters, but both were tremendous. The stars of the menu, however, are the sushi offerings. Whether you order the Typhoon with crab salad and spicy mayo or tuna tataki roll or anything else on the sushi menu, you will not be disappointed. The only thing that keeps this rating from being 5 stars is the noise level and tables that are too close together. We became good friends with the couple at the table next to ours. We almost had no choice. Our server Ana was particularly good. Get her if you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oya has changedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I used to go to Oya often in the past and loved the food and chic vibe. Though our waiter was excellent and attentive, that didn't make up for the just ok food. The mystique of the vibe that I once loved had also been replaced by families! Lastly, they rushed us in and out in 45 minutes. Sadly I don't think we will go back even though this is where we went on our first date :(Special Features:
- Its a must go restaurant very suaveMidnightlover1159Dined on 10/31/2014My date enjoyed every fick of the wine and dining of the abuiance Oya offeredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedvafoodieVIPDined on 10/31/2014After reading other reviews, this place sounded too good to be true. We were pleasantly surprised that it was so good! We were seated immediately though we were a few minutes late for our reservation. Our waiter, Brian, explained the 3 of 5 dinner special which we took advantage of. What an amazing deal! We each had a signature cocktail, appetizer and main dish each. I would order all of them again (octopus, spare ribs, lamb chops and branzino). The food was excellent, not to mention the service. Looking forward to going back and trying their sushi next time which looked very good.Special Features:
- Fab in Penn QuarterBOldTown600Dined on 10/31/2014At Oya, ambience was great, food superb with great menu, and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHenomenal experiencecalerner414Dined on 10/31/2014Went there before the Fleetwood Mac concert only to find it was BETTER than expected. The tataki tuna roll, the snapper ceviche--both exceptionally tasty. Incredible and interesting coctails but above all, extraordinarily attentive and personal service from the staff and management (Thanks, Chris!). Highly recommend Oya!!Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 10/30/2014This is a hidden gem. The ambiance features wall inserts of fire and water (separately) and tables covered in what resembles pressed tin. Service is impeccable; I could barely put a used sugar packet down before it was scooped up and removed. I would down about half of my iced tea glass before someone refilled it from the carafe that had been placed on the table. The lunch deal for $25 is awesome; it's a "bento dish" with salad, sushi and a healthy-sized entree. I had steak with potatoes. The deal also includes a mini bread pudding. Highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingZarinasagiDined on 10/27/2014It's really beautiful inside, food and service so great! My favorite sushi is Typhoon, but most other places name it Volcano, just fyi it's same. Definitely coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre specialKkkkVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had the $25 pre-theatre special that was well worth it! Notable kale salad and soup. Well presented and prepared Bronzino, though lamb chops were a touch dry. Most outstanding was the service throughout the dining experience. We are returning with our spouses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & setting in ChinatownSusanVIPDined on 10/24/2014I was at Oya for lunch twice in October 2014. It is near my office in Chinatown on 9th Street NW. I was very impressed as were the other guests. Wonderful food, a surprising variety of delicious choices, great location and a much needed quiet setting. Tried their business lunch one time (reasonable I thought at $25 w. 2 appetizers, 1 entrée and a mini dessert) and ordered off the regular menu the other time. The business lunch included sushi rolls but otherwise was not heavily Asian. The tomato soup was outstanding, so was the Salmon lunch entrée. Enjoyed the mini dessert and little popover breads. Will return for lunch and will try it for dinner when I am in the area for theater, etc.. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing date nightworkANDeatDined on 10/23/2014The ambiance and decor is STUNNING! The food was really good, but could be more chic. However, the grilled octopus was the best and most tender I have ever had, I would seriously go back just for that. The service was excellent. We went for out 1 year wedding anniversary and out of nowhere, they brought us a tart (with "Happy Anniversary" on the plate), champagne, and a melon'esque version of limoncello. All-around great night!Special Features:
- Loved it...Gwendolyn1Dined on 10/22/2014Waiter was fantastic.. food was exactly what I expected and then some.. GREAT service. I'll definitely go again.Special Features:
- Hardly anything for vegansLuv2travel40Dined on 10/19/2014Took my wife here and we ended up leaving because there was hardly anything available to satisfy our vegetarian and vegan diet. I found that surprising, given the fact that it's an Asian Restaurant. Very nice ambiance though and our server was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fifth visit to OyaLuvagreatdiningexperienceDined on 10/18/2014This is my fifth time visiting the restaurant and dining experience was great. We had a very small seating issue and the general manager stepped in and resolved it without question. He have my whole group a complimentary drink. Our server was awesome as well. This is a must visit place. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oya is for special occasions13mferryDined on 10/18/2014Oya was amazing and the service was even better, but unless you have the money, it's only fit for special occasions.Special Features:
- Pretenious StaffAvidinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014The waiter did a fine job catering to a group of 6 men. He did it with attention. HOWEVER the experience at OYA was spoiled because of one bad apple. The gentleman assisting with the birthday dessert ruined this experience. Since we came here for a birthday - it was natural to sing happy birthday. As the birthday dessert was presented, a gentleman serving the cake immediately cut off a member of our group when he started to sing "Happy birthday." The "happy birthday" gesture was not loud and rather fitting with the noise level of the restaurant. To add insult to injury - 10 minutes later a separate group was heard singing happy birthday. Ironically, this was heard from a distant; hence the volume of their voices was significantly louder.Special Features:
- Most Beautiful Restaurant in DCluvinitDined on 10/17/2014The place was breathtaking - my guest and I loved everything about the restaurant - the food, the drinks, the beautiful white decor, the mini waterfall, the lighting, the waitstaff, even the greeters. Our experience at Oya was clearly a 10!! I'll be there for my next special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!ErinDined on 10/17/2014My husband and i celebrated our one year anniversary here on October 17 and it was perfect! The service was absolutely superb!! It was exactly what we were looking for. The food and drink were amazing as well! We couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you so much for making our night so memorable! A special thanks to our waiter Munir for making everything so wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014The cocktails, sushi and service (Grace) were all top notch. I'll be coming back again soon for sure! Thanks!Special Features:
- Great serviceAureliaVIPDined on 10/15/2014The service was great and the banana bread pudding was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingABQAnnieDined on 10/15/2014We got there early enough to order the 3 of 5 special for $25 - an amazing deal for Washington DC! The house white wine was a good choice for me. I also had an excellent kale and quinoa salad and lamb chops. The salad was beautiful - savory, with a touch of sweetness. The lamb chops were done perfectly - medium rare with a dry rub that was a great complement to the meat. The lamb chops were served with an interesting mix of vegetables and a wonderful sauce. My dining companions had steaks and salads and one of them ordered the lava cake which she shared. It was hot and gooey and topped with just the right amount of homemade ice cream. I look forward to going back and trying the extensive sushi selection!Special Features:
- Great!EnigroegDined on 10/12/2014Service impeccable. Good deal with $25 menu between 5-7pm. Will definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dontmakefoodmakerezdontmakefoodmakerezVIPDined on 10/12/2014Loved the melon soup, mai tai chicken salad (spicy), lamb chops, sea bass and decadent chocolate cake. Carrot cake was okay. Really liked the waitress Shara (sweet) and the decor elegant. We'll be back soon. I've already recommended this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & pre-theater pricesLarsVIPDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I both had the special fixed price dinner special available between 5-7pm since we were attending a performance in the area. My wife had the sea bass and I had the branzino entree. Both were outstanding! The staff was very attentive and helpful and at 6-7:30pm on a Saturday the noise level was moderate so we could easily carry on a conversation. The early dinner price was a great deal and the wine selection for a single glass was excellent for the price. We would recommend highly.Special Features: