Oya Restaurant & Lounge
777 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
Oya Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oyadc.com/
- Phone: (202) 393-1400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday : 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30 pm Late Night Happy Hour Friday & Saturday 11pm - 2am Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm All Night Sushi Happy Hour Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - close, Friday 5:00pm - 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Contemporary Asian
- Executive Chef: Avinash Rana
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off Site Drop Off Catering and Sushi Platters to GO
- Special Events: Semi-private dining room for groups of 10-32 guests
Small Lounge for 15-20 guests
Large Lounge for 30-40 guests
Lounge Buyout for 50-100 guests
Restaurant Buyout for 125 guests seated or 350 guests standing reception
A word from Oya Restaurant & Lounge
OYA promises guests an exquisite experience through exceptional food, contouring textures, smooth vibes and sophisticated service. Serving an innovative menu of creative sushi and entrees that blends the best of Classic American with an Asian flair. All set in a beautifully theatrical designed space. OYA brings a unique flair for ingredients and flavors to the Washington, DC dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Oya Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Oya Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (156)fit for foodies (143)romantic (131)hot spot (113)good for groups (94)vibrant bar scene (73)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (47)notable wine list (37)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- First timeForeverOyaDined on 10/10/2014For someone who has never been to Oya, I can say that I loved it beyond words. The atmosphere is wonderful, the people are all nice, the food is more then outstanding, and the service is also great. It's nice to go for a "girls night out" or maybe a "romantic dinner/lunch". I recommended it already to many of my friends and family and do expect to be dining there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and SleekJoeNazDined on 10/10/2014Oya is fun and great for a first or second date with someone that enjoys a vibrant urban scene. I have been to Oya several times and enjoyed every time since it has a contemporary sleek vibe that is still rare in DC. While not amazing, the food is inventive and tasty. Our fish entrees were nice and paired with tasty vegetable and grain combinations. My brancino was a bit on the oily side, but just like Chilean Sea Bass, that's to be expected. Nevertheless, Oya is mostly memorable for its ambiance and overall experience. Despite the hosts sport trendy looks, they are courteous and approachable, while the rest of the wait staff were helpful and friendly. Enjoy the scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always on point!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014I have been to OYA for special events, happy hour, group lunches and "just for me" time, and I have never been disappointed. This meal was no different; everything was on point, from start to finish.Special Features:
- good food & great serviceBobFromOhioVIPDined on 10/7/2014This was my first visit to Oya, and I was not disappointed. Oya is a very attractive restaurant, with a large room covered in white marble, large mirrors, and a beautiful fireplace. The food is sort of Asian fusion, with a wide range of options. II opted for a lighter dinner and chose some sushi to start (not a large selection of nigiri, but plenty of choices for rolls) and a kobe burger. Both were well-prepared, and I complemented them with two glasses of Virginia wine - a crisp sauvignon blanc for the sushi and a cabernet franc for the burger. My server Munir very helpful, and the manger stopped by a couple of times. I highly recommend Oya and will definitely return on a future trip to DC.Special Features:
- Fantastic!BaltoDCDinersVIPDined on 10/3/2014In passing, we noted to our hostess that we were delighted to be seated by the fire display as it was our anniversary. Our server and the manager proceeded to treat us to a fantastic dining experience. The food was great; the service was the best we have ever had. We cannot recommend Oya more highly.Special Features:
- Great TimeBirthdayspotDined on 10/2/2014We arrived shortly before the reservation and eas immediately seated. The waiter was prompt and very courteous. We were there to celebrate my significant others birthday and was not disappointed. I highly recommend the lamb and sea bass both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIkeVIPDined on 9/30/2014Deafening lounge next to a dining room with marble and mirrors makes conversation difficult. Service is attentive and the lamb chops/sea bass/ravioli were all good. The bread pudding was a cut above. Energetic doesn't adequately describe the decibel level - think front row rock concert.
- Great restaurant, Great serviceEllieTDined on 9/29/2014We had a great time at OYA! We went there for my husband's birthday. The food was very good. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. At the end of our dinner they brought out a cake with a lighted candle for him without me asking them too which I thought was very nice. Overall we had an amazing experiance.Special Features:
- close to perfectTexasgirl84Dined on 9/25/2014Everything was perfect except for the noise coming from the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new go to spotEllasgirlDined on 9/24/2014Visited this restaurant on the advice of a friend and was very impressed. Beautiful decor, great ambience, amazing service and delicious food. Took advantage of the happy hour 3 for 25 option and my friend and I both were very happy with each option.Special Features:
- Amazing ServiceLovelyDined on 9/20/2014Our waiter Alexis was the best! This is not my first time at this restaurant. I have been before and told myself I'd never come back. My experience this go-round was great! Seated immediately, server was very attentive. The details were emmaculate! Food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly goodworldeaterDined on 9/20/2014I really didn't know what to expect and so I was pleasantly delighted by the ambiance, the service and the food. my guests were also pleased. Our Chicago guest thought the Bronzino was the best she has had in any city. I went for Asian and was not disappointed.. The service was excellent. Our only disappointment was the dessert selection. We opted to skip dessert. The only wine by the glass was also wonderful. It was a little noisy in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisaDined on 9/19/2014Had friends in from out of town. They loved it. The food and drink was great. We even enjoyed the complimentary shots our server gave us after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dinnerKsparicoVIPDined on 9/18/2014The sea bass was fantastic. Great service as always!Special Features:
- A little disappointedGmbd1031Dined on 9/15/2014I normally have no complaints about this restaurant but the service was very slow. My party had a 12 o'clock reservation, we were seated and our orders taken but we weren't served for nearly one hour. This was disappointing as we were doing a lunchtime birthday celebration. We had to take our dessert back to work with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014Oya restaurant met our expectations for a romantic dinner in the heart of D.C. The cocktails and house-made sodas were very good. We opted for sushi and were not disappointed. The short rib roll tasted of warm comfort food, but wrapped in a sushi roll. The service was not perfect throughout the night, but the special dessert for our anniversary was a nice touch to make it a good restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The marble walls are the starACDCVIPDined on 9/13/2014An unmemorable destination for non-foodie yuppies looking for a night on the town. The decor, while expensively done, has the essence of an overly-commercial Las Vegas restaurant from the early 2000's. The food was completely devoid of innovation or soul. This place is not about the sushi. Anyone who knows any better will be left disappointed.
- Awesome ExperienceNanakcDined on 9/13/2014Very satisfied. The food was delicious. Charlie our waiter was great. I felt pampered by the entire staff. Thank you to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, love the decorOTB1VIPDined on 9/12/2014Very trendy spot with delicious food. Our group had a great time. I love the interior and decor of this restaurant. Feels like it's located in NYC or Las Vegas and not in DC. Great time had by all!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/11/2014One of my favorite restaurants! We went for a special birthday celebration lunch, and young folks attending lunch thought it was one of their best dining experiences. The entire experience was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneVIPDined on 9/8/2014It was our first time there and we had great experience. Stuff is very professional and very friendly (especially Shara). Food was great! We'll definitely come back again!Special Features:
- QualitycoopDined on 9/4/2014Everything was delicious and service was impeccable. My wife and I spent our 2nd anniversary here and they took very good care of us. We will definitely be back for dinner. Their sushi is amazing.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICE1NONLYNITADined on 8/30/2014LOVE THIS RESTAURANT!!! EVERYTHING FROM THE SERVICE TO THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING. WILL DEFINITELY VISIT AND RECOMMEND IT TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find!SunshineDined on 8/30/2014I thought that Oya was going to be just OK, but I received amazing service! My server was funny and friendly, and although we were a group of younger individuals, she didn't treat us awkwardly (this happens quite often). The décor is very elegant and the dark lighting makes sets the mood. Although there are several tables placed pretty close together, I didn't feel like others could hear my conversation. The food was delicious! There is a good variety on the menu, but I settled on ordering multiple sushi rolls. The presentation of the food was so pretty, that I didn't want to eat it... but when I did, I wanted another bite. It was really worth the cost, I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okZeekDined on 8/30/2014The ambience was great but the sushi was just ok, while the bill was pretty high. I am a foodie so maybe I have high standards. I did notice that the bar scene was really impressive.
- RosegLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/30/2014Great find. Wonderful food and service. A little noisy but still a good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!SpiceGirlDined on 8/30/2014This was our second visit to Oya. We ordered from the restaurant week menu which was a true value! The bread pudding dessert was just the right portion and not as unpleasantly heavy as others I have had. Sooo delish! Sushi was fresh with just the right amount of spice. And oh those signature biscuits are to die for! No butter needed... Service was attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Modern Decor!LJKtownDined on 8/30/2014Beautifully prepared meals in a unique setting . Great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- almost a regularOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014my boyfriend and i have visited Oya/Sei/Sax probably 6 times in total now...but by far, Oya is our favorite. We've celebrated birthdays and anniversaries with you and I expect we'll return again and again to celebrate upcoming milestones. The food is great, but we've had stellar service all but the very first time we visited. Mohammed and Alexis are two standout servers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HenryDined on 8/26/2014Recommend with reservations. Ordered fixed price. When waiter took order, I told him that I would order dessert after my meal. He said that was not possible- that I had to order dessert with the rest of the meal. Problem was, I wasn't ready to order dessert and I don't like a waiter telling me that I must order something when I'm not ready. Very uncomfortable moment. Would have asked to see head waiter, but I was treating a group for someone's birthday. Picked something without much thought (sorbet). Then, waiter returned mid-meal and said that the kind of sorbet I wanted wasn't available. Don't think that the waiter understood that what he was doing was not appropriate, it's just what he was told to do. So, it soured the experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotGirlscout57Dined on 8/25/2014Food is always great - great staff. Spicy Crunchy Shrimp roll is the best - even if it's not on the menu anymore!Special Features:
- Great before theater.ChevyDanDined on 8/22/2014Went before Sweeney Todd at Warehouse Theater. Mussels and asparagus ravioli were great. Waiter brought a taste of a couple of wine s before we chose, which was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service is much too slowenewVIPDined on 8/22/2014We ate at Oya for lunch and whereas the food was delicious, the serving of the food was painfully slow. We selected the Restaurant Week lunch menu, which had three courses, and we had to depart before dessert was brought to the table. It took at least 20-25 minutes for the first course - 2 salads! - to come to the table. The restaurant has to be more attuned to the 'lunch crowd' and hustle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Amazing service and great food! Our waiter and the hostess were extremely attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeTheprez77Dined on 8/20/2014I always enjoy eating here. Food was great but the waiter was less than competent. He spilled water on me several times and seemed to have a problem focusing. May not do too many business lunches here anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect mealFoodieDCDined on 8/19/2014I really enjoyed my experience at OYA. The food was amazing and the service was award winning. The price fixe was the perfect opportunity to experience an array of food choices. I will OYA to my list of favorite places .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in DCMichelleVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent food, service, drinks, and pricing! You can't go wrong with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME SERVICE & AMAZING FOOD!AmandaUDined on 8/16/2014I came here for my birthday dinner and I'm so glad that I did! First of all the decor and atmosphere is so GORGEOUS! When I went to the front desk to check in for my reservation, they were so nice and friendly. When my party got there, we were promptly seated and waited on. I had one of the last dinner reservations, so the restaurant was thinning out and it wasn't too noisy except for one loud party. I ordered some kind of tuna sushi roll, a salmon entree, and the summer shortcake for dessert. They were all so delicious, perfectly cooked and seasoned! This is the perfect place for special occasions or a nice dinner. Great service & amazing food - I definitely recommend this restaurant and I would come here again!Special Features:
- Girls night outChefJWDined on 8/16/2014This place was delish!!! The good was great and inventive. Sushi fresh. Fun, strong drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb! Awesome!Jtownfab6Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant completely exceeded all expectations! Our waitress Rosie was fabulous, as was the host Walter! They made our evening so special! The food was out of this world! We had 4 rolls of sushi and it was made to perfection! We will definitely be back to OYA on our next trip to DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.