37 Quebec St.
Guelph, ON N1H 2T1Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oxguelph.com/
- Phone: (519) 821-9271
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 9:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Parker Smith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from OX
In the heart of Downtown Guelph, OX provides the best of sourced food in a relaxed and friendly environment. Start with our cheese and charcuterie boards and lead into our fantastic main courses and thin crust pizzas. Wash it all down with a local brew, a classic cocktail or one of our excellent small vintage wines. And be sure to check out the selection from our world-class bakery...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
OX reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)special occasion (13)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- We had an excellent experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Roger provided good service. We raved about the pizza and the chef came to our table to thanks us for the compliment. We had limited time before our Riverrun show and we were easily accommodated. My only knock would be that you took the fish tacos off the menu. Not cool, people! Let's get them back please!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First night out in GuelphLanaDined on 11/15/2014Ox made a great impression. Great vibe, busy restaurant, mature and helpful service. We loved the beer selection and the wine list had great value. Building your own cheese and charcuterie boards is the best way to eat. The pizza had fabulous flavour, but was scantilly dressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceenjoyableDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our meal. Our waitress was extremely helpful and friendly. We both had appetizers and different pizzas. Would have preferred our pizzas to be cut into 6 or 8 pieces instead of 4. My pizza was cold when it was brought to the table. I enjoyed it but would have liked it to be hot. The spinach salad was quite small - wouldn't order it again. Thank you for asking for our opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014There were 5 of us who went for dinner before a movie... The pizza was great, but everyone else's dinner was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Looking for a place that wasn't a chain but also was going to offer us a meal that was different and the OX hit a home run It is a little difficult to find but I'm glad its like that otherwise I think trying to make a reso would be impossible. Ordered the Fried Olives and half charchutturie board, WOW what a great way to start the meal. Don't forget to try one of thier home made drinks, the dark and stormy for myself and the apple cider sangria for my girlfriend. The pizzas caught our attention so we both ordered one. They are certainly big enough to share one but everyone needs left over pizza for the next morning. At this point we ordered an old faahsion and the avaiator which were fantastic. Solid little spot keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014We were in Guelph for a Conference and try and eat at a restaurant that is fit for foodies every year whatever city we are in. We weren't disappointed with our choice of OX. We ordered a number of dishes - boards (elk salami, cheese etc) lobster ravioli, beef carpaccio, pizza with mole and shared amongst the group. Both the food and service were very good and we would definitely return if we are back in Guelph.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tonyDined on 10/25/2014The OX is well situated in the middle of Guelph, so if you are attending an event, great location. The food is very good. If it is busy, the acoustics can make it loud. The only other drawback is when it is busy, although the waiters are great, service can slow, so allow yourself time. But it is a good spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentKateDined on 10/23/2014Tried OX for the first time after hearing about it from friends. Enjoyed wine and a light meal. Wine was good and meal was okay; pizza perhaps overrated. Glad we tried. Not sure it would be on the top of our list to return. Thanks for good service.Special Features:
- A Group Of FourMsGladiatorDined on 10/17/2014Treat yourself to a real taste sensation by each ordering something different and sharing tasty bits & bites. From starters to dessert, the experience was amazing. Be sure to try the deep-fried olives...OMG! The Gamay wine was very good. And the desserts were too. Service was right on. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Was very noises, food was good howver service wasn't too great. Had to wait 20 minutes or more to put in our orders, Clearly they are understaffed. we asked for extra bread and never received it even after asking twiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch Go-ToGoldielocks11Dined on 9/25/2014OX is always my first choice for a nice professional business meet-up year round. In the colder months I've always enjoyed the inside dining but last week we were able to sit outside on the back patio and have a fantastic lunch. Food was great and served up quickly. Make sure to ASK specifically for sparkling water otherwise your server is going to automatically fill with tap. This isn't a huge deal but both myself and my client are fans of sparkling and didn't want to waste the time/glasses and then have to ask for anotherSpecial Features:
- great food and serviceYummy2dineDined on 9/20/2014I have been to Ox a few times and would come more often as I love Guelph. I had the charcuterie/cheese board and shared a pizza with my partner. Fantastic!! Also had a few cocktails. This restaurant never fails to deliver! Great service and I love the ambiance. I even perused the bookstore after dinner!! 5 stars!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good selection of app's, entrees,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Pleasant ambience, great service, good food selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Food was creative, with some dishes I had never seen before. Service was excellent. Owner was very nice and talked to us.Special Features:
- Noisy and BusyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014It was a Friday night, so not surprised it was busy. However, staff were run off their feet - should have more help. Noise level was over the top - not a place for a quiet romantic dinner. Food was good, but not fabulous.Special Features:
- Engaging on all levelsbdw1Dined on 9/4/2014Visually interesting to be outside and to have those beautiful tables made of wood slabs. Intimate, though sharing a hige table with 2 other couples...still private. Food was extraordinairy. The pizza was as close to authentic as I jave ever found in Canada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time at oxcgguelphDined on 8/4/2014We went to this restaurant for my boyfriend's birthday and the food was fantastic!! They have half price pizzas on mondays.. which is more than enough for 2 people! Different and yummy dishes. My only complaint would be that they seemed to be a bit understaffed which meant we had to wait a bit longer than usual for our drinks and food but overall it was awesome!
- Horrible ServiceprivatenameDined on 8/4/2014This restaurant has always been one of the worst we go to for service, but last time was horrible, and we won't be going back for awhile (or further recommending it). It took us 10 minutes to be acknowledged, at which point we only got a menu. Another 7 minutes after that we had a different waitress who was quite rude, demanded our whole order at once, and only came back to drop off the cheque.
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014A fave for any time of day - there's always something to tempt the taste-buds and a welcoming space to meet friends.Special Features:
- Good food and friendly atmosphere.UKvisitorsDined on 7/30/2014Our waiter was very kind as there were a few things we didn't know, we are visiting from the UK. We we're recommended you by our son, who lives locally. Will be back next year so see you again then.Special Features:
- Fabulous Lunch and Dinner SpotFitzDined on 7/28/2014Great location downtown Guelph, and love the post industrial look. Great selection of local craft beers on tap. They even have house made tonic and sodas. Excellent menu and selections. I particularly enjoy the Charcuterie boards, creative and best of all tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 103 reviews are from the OX reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent food, wine list was Ontario only. While I appreciate the buy local thing, I do want more variety when I go out. The dining room seemed really sparse, in need of some art. There were a series of mirrors on the wall behind us and one of them was broken. Not sure if that was part of the look or they just hadn't gotten around to fixing. The bathrooms were very dark, smelled like fresh paint thought the colours were horrible, and not one of the women's door latches would match up with the closing hooks- made going to the bathroom an adventure to say the least. For the price of the food (even though it was certainly worth it) the atmosphere was severely lacking.Special Features:
- dilworteDined on 7/21/2014This was my first experience at this restaurant, as it came highly recommended. Though the food and drink selection were very good, the service was terrible! Drinks took almost 25 minutes to arrive at our table of three, and the appetizer came with our dinner. The server checked on our meal only when we were almost finished and then tried to pack up our boxes as we were still eating. For such a great spot to dine, the service was a shame. Hopefully this bad experience can be chalked up to a bad night for the server and not a consistent problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbourhood GemOxRocksDined on 6/15/2014Great restaurant and café located in the heart of Guelph. Wonderful ambiance with freshly cooked food. A must try restaurant if you are in Guelph.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodraredinerDined on 6/13/2014Food was delicious, and creatively served. Portion sizes were appropriate. There was space for the kids too, who enjoyed the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner, great atmosphereGuelphiteDined on 6/13/2014Our party of six loved dinner at Ox, as always. Unfortunately, the dining room is very noisy, and having a conversation is very difficult. I wonder whether it would be possible to put some upholstered wall hangings, ceiling additions or furniture into the space to reduce sound levels?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OX LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Went for lunch - food and atmosphere were excellent. It took a bit longer than expected, service was a little slow - took about 2 hours for drinks, food, and bills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, quite noisybusyizzyDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. Our server was fantastic and the food was delicious. Dinner portions for what we ate were quite small. Dessert was huge! Drink prices were pretty expensive for what you got. It was noisy at first, but nice. Not too noisy that you couldn't hear your company. However, it is right below a bar...we went on a Friday night and could hear the sound check for a band over our heads. it was very loud and very distracting. I probably wouldn't go for dinner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing spotEmBladesDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I love Ox and were excited to check out their new Summer menu. I enjoyed a Dark and Stormy cocktail and my husband got a delicious craft brew. We shared the fried olives (so, so good!) and each got a pizza. The Sandbox pizza was out of control --- top notch cheese and cured meats on top. I'll be ordering it again. I got the sticky toffee pudding for dessert and it was phenomenal. The patio was busy and it was a lovely way to spend a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guelphs hot spot!ChristinaDined on 5/30/2014When we have out of town friends and family we always head to Ox. We love to drink a classic old fashion and eat off the unique chop blocks. Bring your appetite and patience because it gets busy which means, understandably, slower service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in GuelphmamesbabesVIPDined on 5/25/2014Dropped by during a sunny Sunday with friends while motorcycling for the day. Amazing brunch!! Breakfast tacos were perfect and the vegan banana flapjacks were delicious. We had wonderful service and had not one but two of the kitchen staff 'check in' with us to ask us how the food was. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- kitchen closes early!kpurvDined on 5/23/2014Lovely service, food was great, but we were VERY disappointed that the kitchen closed just after 10:00 on a Friday night, and we weren't even warned. So when we wanted to order dessert, which we'd been very excited about, we couldn't. Kind of ruined the night for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food, great vibFoodieDined on 5/23/2014OX is a perfect place that I frequent often, especially for lunch when I have visitors. The staff is particularly well trained, friendly and knowledgeable about every item and drink. The only but big drawback is the acoustics and noise level in the dining room.Special Features:
- Possibility for deaf peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Food was average. Service was Ok. Noise level was unbelievably unpleasant . Other patrons were rude and loud.
- Good food slow serviceDyzeDined on 5/19/2014The ambiance's chic and contemporary. The food we had was decent. But maybe short of staff? We were led to our table and for good 5 minutes, nobody attended us. It was a big dis and brought down the overall dining experience.
- The Ox is deliciousanniversarypartyDined on 5/15/2014I have come to The Ox many times and they never disappoint. This time we tried large plate items as opposed to the infamous pizza and we were glad we did! Incredible unique food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch menu very goodOccasionalDinerDined on 5/1/2014The atmosphere is lovely, although there was a little too much echo in the back section, where we sat. Between the three of us, we had the Beef Carpaccio, Sweet Pea Gnocchi, and Duck Profiteroles from the small plate lunch menu. While we agreed that all three dishes were delicious, and the presentation very good, the portions were definitely small, especially the duck, which would have been nicer and more complete with a touch of greenery on the side. The coffee was great! The service was friendly, but our meal was very slow to be served... even the coffee was delayed. Overall, the service was too slow for a lunch hour.Special Features:
- Great place for double dates!MariondeJDined on 4/26/2014We had a great time at the Ox and gladly recommend this restaurant to friends. The atmosphere is modern and the food is prepared beautifully. Service was great and overall we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza with panacheFoodieDined on 4/25/2014we ordered a couple of pizzas with different toppings and found them very enjoyable, thin crust, unique and flavourful toppings. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Great LocationbusyizzyDined on 4/15/2014Met with some friends on a Tuesday night for dessert and drinks. Pleased to discover Tuesdays are $6 cocktail nights! Yummy desserts too. We chose OX because of the location: central and easy to find. That is was attached to the Bookshelf was great as I was early and was able to browse through the bookstore before being seated. Would definitely recommend.Special Features: