37 Quebec St.
Guelph, ON N1H 2T1Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oxguelph.com/
- Phone: 5198219271x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 9:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Parker Smith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from OX
In the heart of Downtown Guelph, OX provides the best of sourced food in a relaxed and friendly environment. Start with our cheese and charcuterie boards and lead into our fantastic main courses and thin crust pizzas. Wash it all down with a local brew, a classic cocktail or one of our excellent small vintage wines. And be sure to check out the selection from our world-class bakery...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
OX reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (35)great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (21)good for groups (17)special occasion (16)hot spot (14)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (9)romantic (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- first time at oxcgguelphDined on 8/4/2014We went to this restaurant for my boyfriend's birthday and the food was fantastic!! They have half price pizzas on mondays.. which is more than enough for 2 people! Different and yummy dishes. My only complaint would be that they seemed to be a bit understaffed which meant we had to wait a bit longer than usual for our drinks and food but overall it was awesome!
- Horrible ServiceprivatenameDined on 8/4/2014This restaurant has always been one of the worst we go to for service, but last time was horrible, and we won't be going back for awhile (or further recommending it). It took us 10 minutes to be acknowledged, at which point we only got a menu. Another 7 minutes after that we had a different waitress who was quite rude, demanded our whole order at once, and only came back to drop off the cheque.
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014A fave for any time of day - there's always something to tempt the taste-buds and a welcoming space to meet friends.Special Features:
- Good food and friendly atmosphere.UKvisitorsDined on 7/30/2014Our waiter was very kind as there were a few things we didn't know, we are visiting from the UK. We we're recommended you by our son, who lives locally. Will be back next year so see you again then.Special Features:
- Fabulous Lunch and Dinner SpotFitzDined on 7/28/2014Great location downtown Guelph, and love the post industrial look. Great selection of local craft beers on tap. They even have house made tonic and sodas. Excellent menu and selections. I particularly enjoy the Charcuterie boards, creative and best of all tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent food, wine list was Ontario only. While I appreciate the buy local thing, I do want more variety when I go out. The dining room seemed really sparse, in need of some art. There were a series of mirrors on the wall behind us and one of them was broken. Not sure if that was part of the look or they just hadn't gotten around to fixing. The bathrooms were very dark, smelled like fresh paint thought the colours were horrible, and not one of the women's door latches would match up with the closing hooks- made going to the bathroom an adventure to say the least. For the price of the food (even though it was certainly worth it) the atmosphere was severely lacking.Special Features:
- dilworteDined on 7/21/2014This was my first experience at this restaurant, as it came highly recommended. Though the food and drink selection were very good, the service was terrible! Drinks took almost 25 minutes to arrive at our table of three, and the appetizer came with our dinner. The server checked on our meal only when we were almost finished and then tried to pack up our boxes as we were still eating. For such a great spot to dine, the service was a shame. Hopefully this bad experience can be chalked up to a bad night for the server and not a consistent problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbourhood GemOxRocksDined on 6/15/2014Great restaurant and café located in the heart of Guelph. Wonderful ambiance with freshly cooked food. A must try restaurant if you are in Guelph.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodraredinerDined on 6/13/2014Food was delicious, and creatively served. Portion sizes were appropriate. There was space for the kids too, who enjoyed the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner, great atmosphereGuelphiteDined on 6/13/2014Our party of six loved dinner at Ox, as always. Unfortunately, the dining room is very noisy, and having a conversation is very difficult. I wonder whether it would be possible to put some upholstered wall hangings, ceiling additions or furniture into the space to reduce sound levels?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OX LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Went for lunch - food and atmosphere were excellent. It took a bit longer than expected, service was a little slow - took about 2 hours for drinks, food, and bills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, quite noisybusyizzyDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. Our server was fantastic and the food was delicious. Dinner portions for what we ate were quite small. Dessert was huge! Drink prices were pretty expensive for what you got. It was noisy at first, but nice. Not too noisy that you couldn't hear your company. However, it is right below a bar...we went on a Friday night and could hear the sound check for a band over our heads. it was very loud and very distracting. I probably wouldn't go for dinner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing spotEmBladesDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I love Ox and were excited to check out their new Summer menu. I enjoyed a Dark and Stormy cocktail and my husband got a delicious craft brew. We shared the fried olives (so, so good!) and each got a pizza. The Sandbox pizza was out of control --- top notch cheese and cured meats on top. I'll be ordering it again. I got the sticky toffee pudding for dessert and it was phenomenal. The patio was busy and it was a lovely way to spend a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guelphs hot spot!ChristinaDined on 5/30/2014When we have out of town friends and family we always head to Ox. We love to drink a classic old fashion and eat off the unique chop blocks. Bring your appetite and patience because it gets busy which means, understandably, slower service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in GuelphmamesbabesVIPDined on 5/25/2014Dropped by during a sunny Sunday with friends while motorcycling for the day. Amazing brunch!! Breakfast tacos were perfect and the vegan banana flapjacks were delicious. We had wonderful service and had not one but two of the kitchen staff 'check in' with us to ask us how the food was. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- kitchen closes early!kpurvDined on 5/23/2014Lovely service, food was great, but we were VERY disappointed that the kitchen closed just after 10:00 on a Friday night, and we weren't even warned. So when we wanted to order dessert, which we'd been very excited about, we couldn't. Kind of ruined the night for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food, great vibFoodieDined on 5/23/2014OX is a perfect place that I frequent often, especially for lunch when I have visitors. The staff is particularly well trained, friendly and knowledgeable about every item and drink. The only but big drawback is the acoustics and noise level in the dining room.Special Features:
- Possibility for deaf peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Food was average. Service was Ok. Noise level was unbelievably unpleasant . Other patrons were rude and loud.
- Good food slow serviceDyzeDined on 5/19/2014The ambiance's chic and contemporary. The food we had was decent. But maybe short of staff? We were led to our table and for good 5 minutes, nobody attended us. It was a big dis and brought down the overall dining experience.
- The Ox is deliciousanniversarypartyDined on 5/15/2014I have come to The Ox many times and they never disappoint. This time we tried large plate items as opposed to the infamous pizza and we were glad we did! Incredible unique food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the OX reviews archive.
- lunch menu very goodOccasionalDinerDined on 5/1/2014The atmosphere is lovely, although there was a little too much echo in the back section, where we sat. Between the three of us, we had the Beef Carpaccio, Sweet Pea Gnocchi, and Duck Profiteroles from the small plate lunch menu. While we agreed that all three dishes were delicious, and the presentation very good, the portions were definitely small, especially the duck, which would have been nicer and more complete with a touch of greenery on the side. The coffee was great! The service was friendly, but our meal was very slow to be served... even the coffee was delayed. Overall, the service was too slow for a lunch hour.Special Features:
- Great place for double dates!MariondeJDined on 4/26/2014We had a great time at the Ox and gladly recommend this restaurant to friends. The atmosphere is modern and the food is prepared beautifully. Service was great and overall we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza with panacheFoodieDined on 4/25/2014we ordered a couple of pizzas with different toppings and found them very enjoyable, thin crust, unique and flavourful toppings. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Great LocationbusyizzyDined on 4/15/2014Met with some friends on a Tuesday night for dessert and drinks. Pleased to discover Tuesdays are $6 cocktail nights! Yummy desserts too. We chose OX because of the location: central and easy to find. That is was attached to the Bookshelf was great as I was early and was able to browse through the bookstore before being seated. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- good food SLOW serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014This is a great spot in the downtown area and the OX has SO much potential. If only someone would train these poeple how to serve a table. THEN it would be a place to come back to again and again.... but when you do not get the service you should have it makes it hard to say great things.
- Always a hitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014OX is always a hit with us. The wine selection is stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ox was Superb!SpoonDined on 4/4/2014We had a great time at Ox - our server was fun and energetic and could joke with us all throughout dinner. We had the spreads and crostinis which are always so different and delicious. The beer carpaccio was also awesome. My sister and mom had a pizza and said it was the best they've ever had. The burgers are made in house and are outstanding. The ambiance was great and I was happy to be able to take my family to an awesome local restaurant with great food and service.Special Features:
- Great timesatisfiedDined on 4/3/2014Bartender was happy to serve us and gave us plenty of time to make up our minds. It was a nice to catch up with friends and he made sure not to crowd or rush us. We had delicious cocktails to finish the meal. Very full, satisfied, and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!MmmPizzaDined on 3/30/2014I came here with my parents who were visiting for a day, and it was a great spot to sit down and have a lovely dinner without feeling rushed or being too noisy to have a great conversation. We ordered salads and pizzas, and all the food was delicious! Service was pleasant, non-pushy, and helpful when accommodating gluten free options. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchFabforlifeVIPDined on 3/23/2014Brunch is good but selection is limited. WIsh we could order from their regular menu. Our server was very friendly. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeafsLeafsDined on 3/22/2014We all had the hamburgers and frites which were excellent. We also all had the caesar salad's which we all agree were very disappointing. The dressing was extremely bland, hardly tasted like a caesar salad. This needs improvement. The homemade pop was also disappointing, an over powering taste of ginger. Bring back regular soft drinks!! Ambience was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with some reservationsFlashDined on 3/19/2014I love this restaurant and will definitely go back again but it's very noisy (need some sound baffles) and there isn't a great selection for vegetarians. I eat fish and they were kind enough to give me the fish and chorizo tacos without the sausage but it's a meaty kind of place. Great patio in the warm weather! Best part is you can buy great bread as well and wander through the bookstore. Hope this one lasts a long time - but more veggies please.Special Features:
- Great food, service spottyHollandarDined on 3/17/2014Went here for dinner and was impressed by the food and drink selection. However, the service was a bit on the slower side. The restaurant was busy but did not seem understaffed in the dining room. Perhaps it was a kitchen-issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, love .....BMW1985Dined on 3/17/2014.......their innovative take on pizza's esp. & food generally. The whole place is a refreshing chg to mundane dining. We really appre ciate their outstanding 1/2 price pizza nts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sharing menu40nowDined on 3/15/2014Excellent cocktail menu with unique ingredients and creative flavours, there is something for everyone as well as good wine and beer choices. Server was helpful with all drink and food questions. My guests had several of the duck dishes, other had pizza of which there is a great variety of options. My party of 6 women had a great time and wrapped up our night upstairs at eBar to relive old times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was the second time IOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014This was the second time I ate at this restaurant- the first time was on a Saturday night - without a reservation- I ended up sitting at a terrible table and the food was OK. This time it was a weeknight with a reservation and the food and service were much better. However it was March Break and the number of children running around the restaurant was annoying and distracting. (not the restaurants fault) I would definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceHedyDined on 3/8/2014my son's birthday lunch celebration was fantastic. the food was awesome and lots of shareable items. they made a lovely dessert plate with a birthday candle. We will certainly go again and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Perfect Business Lunch!Goldielocks11Dined on 3/7/2014I was meeting a client at OX for lunch and was SO pleased with the outcome. I was seated in advance (being early to arrive) and my client was escorted immediately over upon her arrival. Server was knowledgeable and considerate of when we were in heavy business discussions. I noticed her not interrupting to fill water (that truly didn't require water) in light of our conversation. That's truly appreciated during a fast 1hr lunch. Food was fantastic as always and take-away items were lovingly wrapped. Will absolutely be going backSpecial Features:
- Very balanced, very beautiful rest.BuddyBudDined on 3/5/2014We were very impressed! Great ambiance, interesting original decor, wine/food pairings, and very creative dishes that tasted amazing. The best restaurant I've been to in awhile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza!stinkyDined on 3/3/2014It's always so difficult to choose which pizza to order, but I've always been blown away by each one! Delicious!!Special Features: