Ovie Bar & Grill
120 N Canal St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ovie Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oviebarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 3129021111x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Ovie Bar and Grill offers two semi-private dining areas. Our first semi-private dining area is the Limited Room. This room has windows lining the East side wall and a beautiful mural of vintage trains along the West side wall. This room offers curtains that may be drawn to afford a group more privacy, or left open to experience the atmosphere of our large bar.
Our second semi-private room is our Cafe/Wine Bar. This room is located in the front of our restaurant and is ideal for cocktail parties.
- Private Party Contact: Lisa Seeder 3129021111x
- Cross Street: Randolph
- Public Transit: We are located inside of the Metra's Ogilvie Transportation Center. We are one block South of the Clinton-Green Line CTA Stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the Metra Market garage located less than one block north of OVIE. The garage entrance is located on Canal St. just north of Randolph (between Randolph and Lake St.) on the west side of the street.
A word from Ovie Bar & Grill
OVIE Bar & Grill serves as a neighborhood hotspot to give locals and those traveling through the Ogilvie Metra Station a place to sit back, relax and enjoy contemporary dishes along with a full bar. OVIE is a combination of a full service restaurant featuring seasonal dishes, raw bar and in-house smoked specialties, a 40-seat bar with signature cocktails and a grab & go express for the person on the go who needs to catch their train, creating a new destination at the entrance to the West Loop. OVIE believes in fine food and drinks with a neighborhood atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Ovie Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
Ovie Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (20)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Go for drinks/snack not fine dinigDFIDinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014Went for pre-theater dinner. Don't do it on a Friday. Clearly aimed at happy hour clients. Loud and crowded. Hostess and server were pleasant and attentive, but that doesn't make up for mediocre food. Salads swimming in dressing. Chicken Marsala was a slab of chicken breast (like you'd throw on the grill) and then some mushrooms and watery sauce on top. Sliders were ok. Kitchen must have screwed up, because server kept apologizing for the delay. Prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- Excellent food and survive but...Luv2dineDined on 10/1/2014...if you don't mind the occasional train rumbling. Not loud, but a low rumbling sound. The food and service is well worth it. We sat in a private booth towards the back. Discrete and charming. The salmon was delicious. Créme brûlée too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed it!PremierdocDined on 9/27/2014The service was excellent! Food quality was just ok, not bad. Decor was very hip and trendy. We were there on a Saturday night and hardly anyone else was there so we were a little disappointed cause we were looking for a bit of the Downtown Chicago scene. Though restaurant is not exactly downtown. We were told they a busiest during the week with the after work crowd. Would have been great for a large group of friends wanting a nice restaurant in which to entertain.Special Features:
- good in west loopfoodieDined on 9/19/2014Good menu selection and reasonably priced. They even have a sandwich selection where a portion of the price is donated at ALS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedFoodFanVIPDined on 9/3/2014Ovie has a great location in the Ogilve Transportation Center, which makes it perfect to meet work friends. I've always liked the food in the past, whether enjoying their salmon entree or sharing some small plates or bar snacks. I'm sorry to say I was disappointed this time. The cheese plate we shared to start was small to say the least -- 4 overly crispy pieces of toasted bread and five small shaved peices of pear with a big bowl of olives to accompany the cheese. My salad nicoise was fine except for an overly aggressive black olive dressing. On balance, still a great place and I'll be back but I'll order more carefully next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh -- Too Noisy, So-So FoodChicagoSueVIPDined on 8/22/2014I might put up with so-so food for convenience, but won't return to this restaurant. I had lunch here with a business associate and the first thing I noticed was everyone in the place seemed to be drinking which you don't see at restaurants for business lunches. We were seated at a high top table, which really isn't very comfortable if you're wearing a skirt. The music was on full blast which made conversation very difficult. I had the pulled pork sandwich and the pork was tender, but the accompanying potatoes were cold. My friend had soup and the macaroni and cheese. She didn't finish either. It is a nice looking restaurant and so I thought it would be a good place for a business lunch, but I was wrong.
- Convenient commuter lunch spotpmetzDined on 8/11/2014As a train commuter, this is a decent spot for a lunch or after-work drinks. The food was quite good. I had the gumbo and a crab cake. The gumbo was thick, dark brown and spicy, with plenty of chicken and sausage, and very good. The crab cake (an appetizer item) was a decent size and had a generous amount of crab -- again, very good. Not quite on par with the excellent crab cake from Michael Jordan's, but quite good. Ambiance is a bit "industrial". Service was pleasant and capable, albeit not as refined as you might find in higher-end Chicago restaurants. Price for two for lunch (3 items, 2 non-alcoholic beverrages) came to $45. I was impressed enough that I'd consider going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service, Small FoodSpecialKVIPDined on 7/9/2014I had been to Ovie once before and we had ordered several small plates to share. Worked out great that time and the food was fantastic. This trip however, I ordered what I thought was a full size salad. I wish the server had warned me it was 3 slices of tomato with a couple chunks of mozzarella cheese. Tasted fantastic, but I was very hungry when I was "done" eating! Also, while servicer was very courteous, he was very slow and the restaurant wasn't very busy. I work in the Ogilvie Transp Center so I'm sure I'll eat there again but will ask more questions about the serving sizes in the future. Hope the service picks up the pace!Special Features:
- poorly organized chaosJayBeEatsVIPDined on 6/28/2014Have no comment on the food... it never came. Sat down for a quick pre show bite. By the time someone came by with water we had about 50mins to dine. Notified the server of our time frame and immediately ordered salads and an app we were guarateeded was quick. Us 30 mins later- will the food be out soon? Server- yes, the food will come out. But when? That's the question! The server then runs off and never comes back... Never. 15 mins later I go to the host stand with my card to pay for the two drinks, but not the salads that 45 mins later have still not arrived. Someone drops off the bill a few minutes later with a mumbled apology. MOD never stops by, sever never acknowledged the impossibility of getting food in time. Won't go back.
- The following 88 reviews are from the Ovie Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Poor ServiceFriendlyFaceVIPDined on 6/24/2014The service was poor. I ordered a wine and was brought the wrong one. I don't even think the server was listening when I ordered it. We then had dry mini burgers. The mac & cheese, while delicious, came out without breadcrumbs. The server told us that it should have breadcrumbs and he would get some, however he never returned with them. The beet salad was pretty good. Everything else was not memorable. It then took us 40 minutes to get the servers attention to obtain her check in order to leave. It was not a busy night and he was standing and watching TV most of the time. I will not be going back.
- DelicousCnikDined on 6/21/2014The food was excellent. Attended dinner before a show at the Civic Opera House. Service was a little slow for the fact that the restaurant was virtually empty. Waiter was incredibly knowledgeable about the menu and incredibly enthusiastic in his descriptions. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- This place is fantasticpnt225VIPDined on 6/20/2014It is spectacular to have such a great place in the Ogilvie Train Station. Tuesday night 1/2 price bottles of wine/champagne is outstanding. The food is out of this world. Finally, the service is the best in town with not a lot of turnover.Special Features:
- cruzerDined on 6/18/2014Food and service was great. Unfortunately, condensation was falling from the over head ducts to by head and back. I would recommend Ovie to my freinds but warn them about the condensation.Special Features:
- Quick drink before the trainlikingoodeatinDined on 6/4/2014It's convenient to do a quick after work meet up and a drink if you're doing Metra to the burbs.Special Features:
- Good for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/30/2014Not a lot of choices. But potato sides are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal here so farChicagoTexanVIPDined on 5/15/2014I come with coworkers often for lunch, and so far had thought it ok. The flatbread apps are always good (prosciutto w/ arugula is favorite). Today all 4 of us had the grilled mahi mahi special with asparagus, spinach and garlic mashed potatoes as Jorge confidently said that was the way to go. The fish was well seasoned, moist and so fresh I thought I was at Bob Chinn's. It is the best meal I've had at Ovie and I applaud the chef. We all but licked the plates. Jorge also steered us well to the homemade tiramisu, which all 4 of us had and left not a bite! Well done, Ovie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Times Not The CharmUnhappyDined on 5/12/2014Tried this restaurant again after eating here the first time shortly after they opened. The ambience and service are very good, but the food is just mediocre.
- Business Lunchss33Dined on 5/8/2014It was a good place for a business lunch. I didn't really like sitting at a high top table, when there were plenty of normal tables available, but I also didn't request that they move us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great placeKJ36Dined on 4/30/2014This place was full when we arrived at 6pm. And it pretty much stayed that was until 8. Very good food, great drink choices and the wait staff was courteous if a bit stiff. I would definitely come again and recommend it to people. Much nicer than your average happy hour spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014The seating for reserved dinner was not good (the music was to loud); even though it was an early/slow evening the service was on the slow side. Otherwise, not bad for quick dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place under train tracksChicagoTexanVIPDined on 4/16/2014So you'll feel the rumble of the trains passing above, but most of the noise is from the patrons; place is consistently busy. Artichoke appetizer was smooth; I had yellowfin tuna and it was tender and moist with asparagus. The food is good, as is the service. Great spot for happy hour, cocktails (try the Paloma).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was very pleasantly surprisedjoesDined on 4/7/2014Was very pleasantly surprised food was really good!Special Features:
- PleasedPandaDined on 3/25/2014It's pretty noisy and busy around happy hour, can make it difficult to have a conversation. The prices are a little high, but the food quality is good. Can't beat the location if you're taking a Metra train home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location for commutersDiner100Dined on 3/22/2014This restaurant is on the bottom floor of the Ogilve Transportation Center and serves a long-unfilled need: to give commuters a spot to catch some food or a drink before their commute home or giving them a spot to wait happily once they step off the train. The food was good; the salmon was fresh. Dessert was even better. Recommend it for a nice spot if you're using the train. It's even open Saturday nights, so it is a good option if you plan a last-minute evening downtown and can't find a restaurant that isn't already booked.
- ovie visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014we really enjoyed our dinner there on Ash Wednesday, as there were many selections for we Catholic folks. thank you the server was adorable and couldn't have been better in all ways. don't recall her name but had short dark hair with streak of red in the front. she was great we attend Broadway in Chicago events and take the metra from the burbs so this spot is perfect!! thanks - we will be back Colleen PanzinoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!33JillybeanDined on 3/4/2014Very unique and tasty dishes! Our server was extremely attentive and the service was fast. The drink menu has a good variety, but like most places in the city, drinks are over-priced. I will definitely be going back and would recommend others try Ovie!Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinner at OvieDaveinChicagoVIPDined on 3/3/2014I had a lovely meal with 3 friends. The server recommended the soup of the day -- squash with thyme. We all ended up getting a cup and it was quite delicious. The rest of the meal came out relatively quickly and was also quite tasty. The only item ordered that did not seem to please the palate was the Baba Ghanoush. I did not have any so I can't comment on what made it unappealing but most of it was left on the plate. The hummus that it was paired with however, was delicious. Our server was attentive -- regularly refilling ice tea & soft drinks, inquiring about dessert at the appropriate time and then bringing the check as dessert was finished. Except for the noise level which made it hard to hear at times, we had a great time.
- Good place to stop on wayLenmDined on 2/28/2014Good place to stop on way home, food average but service was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did someone say happy hour?BeccaDined on 2/28/2014I love the convenient location of Ovie. This is the perfect place for happy hour as it is near the office and connects to Olgivie station for the suburbanites. Our waiter was a black male in his late 20s-early 30s and he was not the kindest, was unenthusiastic and took a while to get any drink we ordered. I didn't get a chance to eat, but I am told the food is good. I would definitely go back, but would make a request for a different waiter.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchevkaDined on 2/28/2014Everything about Ovie is just perfect, a real gem in an area where there are few dining options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a restaurant!jackVIPDined on 2/21/2014We reserved a table for 5:15 and had to sit in the bar on a high top table and I was getting bumped constantly by all the bar patrons. This restaurant should not have taken my reservation if they did not have any tables in the dining area. Also, I ordered chicken with my pasta and never got any. Showed the waitress and she removed the extra charge, This is a bar not a restaurant!
- Good food in an unexpected locationcontrarianDined on 2/14/2014We tried 3 of their appetizers. Cheese plate was disappointing but the pear compote accompanying it was the highlight. Arancini and polenta fries were crunchy/tasty albeit a touch under seasoned - the aiolis were interesting. We also had their V-day drink special, a chocolate martini which was good - a second one was inexplicably mixed with less flair (less chocolate, plain-looking). We had their rigatoni - pasta was a little eggy but well-cooked with generous amounts of mushrooms. Farm salad was good with the roasted grapes adding sweetness but again wished there was a bit more of the port-rhubarb dressing. We didn't save room for dessert. Service was attentive and we got seated in one of the quiet corner booths which we appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Work EventsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014This was an ideal location for my Work Outing. Our Group took a 'Field Trip' to the Chicago Auto Show (we work for an Automotive parts company), and we were looking for a location that would be accessible to the trains so that people could commute home ot the suburbs. This was an ideal location. Everyone could join us for Happy Hour and still make their train on time to get home to their families. It was a great time!Special Features:
- Very fairchicagobarbDined on 2/13/2014Very fair restaurant. Seating was uncomfortable. Food was a bit below average. Went there for a business lunch, ordered the nicoise salad which only had 3 thin cut pieces of tuna that tasted a day or two old. You can hear (an feel) the trains coming in to the station above you. Not good for a business lunch. I wouldn't go back.
- Lunch reviewBigEatsDined on 2/11/2014Food is consistently very good. Good options on menu and staff very professional. Nice go to lunch spot in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!DanosFotosDined on 2/1/2014Went to Ovies last Saturday. Our train got in at 5:40, had our reservation at 6:00, & we told them that we had to be walking out at 6:50 so as to catch an opera at the Lyric. They told us not a problem & at 6:49 we're walking out the door. They have a prefix meal option for opera goers for a set price you get appetizer, entrée & dessert it was too much food for us but a great option to have. I think our servers name was Stephanie, & she was AWESOME. She was fast, efficient & did everything to make sure we were happy plus we were debating about beer selection & she made a great recommendation! My friend and I both agreed that next time we go to a show, we're going back to Ovies! Plus, everyone there is super friendly! Definitely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!AlliKatDined on 2/1/2014We ate here prior to our "Paint Nite" evening. Worked out perfectly on many levels and the food was great! Will definitely go back even without having an event to attend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knewOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/31/2014That a train station spot could be so good. Mussels were tasty and plentiful, beer selection wide, polenta fries seasoned just right. Surprisingly varied menu. Fast and friendly service. We'll definitely come back.Special Features:
- Cool, hidden spotJKremsVIPDined on 1/31/2014Although a little overpriced, I've been here a couple of times and think it's a good spot. Nice for a business lunch or happy hour, as it's a little off the beaten path. I love the decor - it is pleasantly surprising walking in out of the train station!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic after-work gatheringCommuterDined on 1/29/2014We were looking for a place to gather for an after work happy hour for about 10 people. None of my group had heard of Ovie Bar and Grill and we were all extremely pleased with our little event. The staff called in advance to see if we were having full dinner or just cocktails and appetizers and set us up in a private area with sofas. The server (and the one in training) were attentive but not pushy. The food was very prompt and so good we ordered seconds on a few. We were definitely go back and it was fantastic that it was both close to the office and easy access for those of us taking the train. Who knew you could have such a cute place under the train tracks?!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.