220 North Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoverwood.com/
- Phone: 7035353340
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: OVERWOOD is available for Catering. Please contact Joe Chapman at 703-535-3340 for more information.
A word from OVERWOOD
Located in the heart of Old Town in the historic Crilley Warehouse, OVERWOOD is a wood-fired American kitchen and bar featuring modern interpretations of traditional classics. As the name implies, our kitchen is built around hardwood-fueled cooking (grill, oven & smoker) and we will use only the freshest and finest ingredients in every dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
OVERWOOD reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)good for groups (39)great for brunch (38)great for lunch (34)kid-friendly (32)special occasion (27)fit for foodies (19)romantic (16)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great for food, comfort, value.BoomerVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is close to the main attractions on King Street, yet this is where the locals go. The food is great, and offers a great menu of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!TamuDined on 8/24/2014Good food, atmosphere,pricing and service. Glad to have discovered it as weekend a brunch option.Special Features:
- Only okay this timeKNAlexandriaDined on 8/23/2014We eat at Overwood a few times and year and generally are pleased with the food. However, that was not the case this time. The big disappointment was the catfish - very bland. The pork chop was better. I often have one of the big entree salads and have always enjoyed them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So, soNolafoodisbestDined on 8/22/2014I had a fried catfish dish, which I had to add hot sauce to for flavor. The fillet was really thick, which meant that for catfish, it was tough. The veggies under it were really good. The key lime pie was very bland, and didn't really have much flavor. Edward's pies in the frozen food section in the grocery store are better. Food is not bad, just ok.
- Great menu for Rest. WeekJeanfromalexandriaDined on 8/22/2014Our dinner at Overwood was really good, especial the Rest. Week special of buttermilk fried fish with a great succotash! The porterhouse pork chop was very well done also. We each had their special side salad with black beans and corn and it was delicious. The only problem was the noise-we will ask to be seated in the side room from now on as we have eaten in the room by the kitchen and the main room and they are just too noisy for our aging ears.Special Features:
- A relaxing experienceShortcutrdDined on 8/20/2014I loved the quant neighborhood feels as we dined with other energetic patrons. Servicer was excellent and very knowledgeable of most dishes. I had the ½ rack of ribs and they were great, my table mates were not excited about the meatloaf or the pan seared haddock. Starters were great; fried oysters and lamb sausage flat bread, but the Key lime pie was missing that ‘bite-you-back’ effect if that’s what you like.Special Features:
- would not seek outMaybelleDined on 8/15/2014Great menu - ok food. The restaurant week menu was uninspired. I ended up ordering the Friday special of seared scallops. Beautiful presentation followed by gritty scallops. My party said the food was fine but we all agreed we wouldn't return. Extremely noisy inside would not recommend for date night out. The decor and restrooms were clean and attractive but overall atmosphere lands at fair.Special Features:
- Service could have been betterDiscmann131Dined on 8/14/2014We have been here a few times and the service was much better so I will put this off to an overworked waiter but it was real tough to get through your meal and get that refill of wine or beer. Had to literally stop him from running away on a couple occasions because we had no idea when he would be coming back our way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sophisticated southern foodAlexandrialocalDined on 8/14/2014Fried catfish on succotash-- I love Southern food but even I wasn't sure about that. When it came, what a great surprise-- catfish crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside, and the succotash was fantastic. Limas, but lots of other vegetables that I didn't expect, cooked just till tender, with herbs. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great Monday Night Dinner!AlexandrianDined on 8/11/2014My dad came into town and took my husband, our friend, and I out to Overwood for dinner. We sampled two kinds of oysters, fried green tomatoes, buffalo wings, buttermilk fried chicken, the meatloaf, and the crab cakes. Food was delivered hot and fresh and fast, and there was no disappointment on the table (friend green tomatoes were our collective favorite). Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable, and was happy to accommodate our slower meal pace while we all caught up. All of the drinks we ordered were definitely up to par, I loved the decor inside, and will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014First time having brunch at the Overwood, always dinner. It was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Great, Now Not so GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Been coming here four times a year for three years. Always ordered the Cajun ribeye. This time it was awful. Maybe they got a new chef? Not coming back for dinner for a while.
- Great DinnerFriendsNFoodDined on 8/9/2014The food and service was great. When making reservation online, the day before, asked for the room on the left when coming in (It usually is a some what quieter area).Meeting with 2 other couples. Ended up at a round table near the kitchen. Surprisingly, though busy and some what noisy, we could all hear each other across the table!! Had a great time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014The food, service, and ambiance are always very good!Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration in StyleOwens56VIPDined on 7/26/2014The ambience was relaxing with an inviting decor. Our food was scrumptious from the fried green tomatoes to the parmesan crusted flounder and cajun ribeye. The desserts were delicious and great portions plus out-of-this-world sorbet too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2014We were seated near the bar area and I asked to be moved to a quieter area. The hostess was lovely and had a table cleaned off near a window. While dithering between the Chicken Tortilla and Tomato Basil Soup, the waiter shared that the Chicken Tortilla soup was really good that night. He was right, the Chicken Tortilla soup was amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pickOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Good selection and service. Save room for dessert... Elvis Pie and Chocolate Bread Pudding are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overwood is a Neighborhood Gem!hmccaffeDined on 7/23/2014Overwood has delicious food: towering tomato tower, crab cakes, wines and desserts. The service was exceptional, courteous, prompt, friendly and the server asked many times if there were any other needs that we had that he could provide. Thank you for the terrific dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!ColonelBCDined on 7/12/2014After the Alexandria Birthday Fireworks we were starving -- went on OpenTable and reserved late night seets at Overwood. Pretty good service, awesome hummus plate, and great dinners....We'll be back!Special Features:
- Good but Not GreathealthypersonthatdrinksDined on 7/12/2014It took a while to be greeted, get water, etc. Having worked in the restaurant industry for many years, if it is fine dining, or any place that takes a reservation for that matter, then I expect to be greeted and taken care of within 3 or so minutes of being seated. It was closer to 8, and since it wasn't a full restaurant, that bothered me just a touch. Waiter was alright. Not particularly warm or helpful in terms of the drink menu or food menu, but he did his job. My boyfriend ordered the crusted Flounder, I order the half rotisserie chicken. Flounder was on the bone, and not crusted like bread crusted as I had thought. It was super fishy. Not bad, but not really our cup of tea, lots of bones to spit out. Chicken was good.Special Features:
- TastyLocalFoodieDined on 7/12/2014Food is cooked over wood which lends a smoky flavor.....even to their Big Salads! Too bad the waitstaff left all the dishes on the table durning our entire stay, making eating dessert was near impossible. Better luck next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful findHarleyVIPDined on 7/12/2014GREAT restaurant and great food. Wide ranging menu was great to please many different tastes....every one a winner.Special Features:
- I always come backBoomerVIPDined on 7/5/2014This is where the locals go and yet it is so close to King Street. I think the food is great and everyone is friendly, the service is often inconsistent, but I have learned to speak up to!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014The food had great flavor and was perfectly cooked. Everything seemed very fresh. The service was great. She gave adequate time but we didn't have to wait. Next time I am in town it will be on my to do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedMitchDined on 6/28/2014Ribs were great. Skinny chicken was a real disappointment. The waitress seemed new and service was adequate. The table next to us had a problem receiving the correct order. Our order was almost mis-delivered to a different table. If I lived in Old Town, I would try again, but I won't make a special trip to this restaurant again.
- Great Service and FoodLeslieDined on 6/24/2014I setup a surprise birthday dinner for a friend last minute and I picked Overwood because I had eaten there before and remember it being pretty good. They were also the few restaurants who had availability for 8 last minute. The restaurant was very accommodating and even put us in a corner where we could have some privacy. My friend was an hour late but the wait staff were very friendly and patient with us. The food was amazing. I got the meatloaf with asparagus and butternut squash. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Casual Dining ExperiencecoolerbythelakeDined on 6/18/2014We had the best fried green tomatoes ever. Local fare, soft-shell crab and oysters were fresh and tasty. The only disappointment was toasted ravioli; it seemed breaded and fried. There is a good vibe here - more neighborhood than touristy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Went for brunch. Food was just okay. Great crab cakes for CC Benedict! French Toast was dry and overdone with spices - needed three bins of syrup to eat. Grand Marnier butter might have had two drops as it tasted like whipped butter. Burger was good but slightly overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day brunchLuv2dineinDCDined on 6/15/2014Had a great time with the family and the staff was very accommodating. Our party included 5 kids under 10 and no one seemed to skip a beat. Great spot for family brunch.Special Features:
- Would Do It AgainJRMGottaEatDined on 6/14/2014Service was great. My wife and I wanted a nice, lingering meal on a Saturday evening. As the restaurant was not completely full, the staff was great about letting us take our time. There are a lot of interesting things on the menu. We both opted for a shared appetizer and then dinner salads, but felt we would try an entree next time and if we felt like salad we would get it on the side. We will be going back to try some of the other items.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverWood Rocks!ColonelBCDined on 6/5/2014The team at overwood has a great fresh menu and a team that will help you deal with a hungry 4 year old.Special Features:
- First DateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/3/2014If you go here get the fish its outstanding. The drinks are top notch and so are the servers.Special Features:
- Nice little lunch/brunch spotAORODined on 6/1/2014This was our forst time at Overwood and we will go back. Food was great as well as the prices. Very affordable. Recommend both the tomato tower and crab frittata.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but on par with othersJandMDined on 5/30/2014Straight-forward food that showcases good ingredients prepared well. Scallops, steak, and even lobster all cooked perfectly. Menu is a bit "meat and potatoes" and therefore comes across a bit boring, but there is something to be said about cooking the same ill' thing really well. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EditorJSAtlvisitorsDined on 5/30/2014Our first visit ... A bit off the Main Street so really glad we used Open Table for suggestions. We were extremely pleased...the food was delicious & the service was great! A great memory for our anniversary & visit in the D.C. Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable and reasonableDCWahooVIPDined on 5/27/2014Our service was timely and friendly. The food was tasty and the portions were generous. They accommodated my friends requests for changes, no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot off king stMaxeaterDined on 5/25/2014Something on the menu for everyone. Had the ribs, you can share them. Really good. Salads were excellent. Large beer list and all around good restauran. Staff worked hard and you have to appreciate that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/25/2014We reserved for a large group the day before and they were very accommodating. Had people of all ages and everyone really enjoyed their food (and the 21+ their mimosas!)Special Features:
- First visitCherylDined on 5/24/2014Our food was delicious - we had the ribeye steak, and it was tender and very tasty. The fresh oysters were also very fresh and good and the fried green tomato tower was wonderful. The entire menu was interesting and reasonable. I think this would have been a perfect early-evening dinner but the child next to us was too noisy - crying, etc. and management didn't say a thing. We ended up being more nervous than relaxed. Regardless we'll be back - the dinner was too good not to give this new restaurant a second try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Food was great, drinks were poured well. The waitstaff were polite and helpful but struggled a little with English so getting some questions answered did take some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.