220 North Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoverwood.com/
- Phone: 7035353340
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: OVERWOOD is available for Catering. Please contact Joe Chapman at 703-535-3340 for more information.
A word from OVERWOOD
Located in the heart of Old Town in the historic Crilley Warehouse, OVERWOOD is a wood-fired American kitchen and bar featuring modern interpretations of traditional classics. As the name implies, our kitchen is built around hardwood-fueled cooking (grill, oven & smoker) and we will use only the freshest and finest ingredients in every dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
OVERWOOD reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (34)great for brunch (28)great for lunch (24)fit for foodies (19)kid-friendly (19)special occasion (18)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- ChastinaDined on 10/25/2014It was too loud to have any dinner conversation and the desserts were lacking in flavor.Special Features:
- Great MenuSusanDined on 10/24/2014I met a friend for dinner at the restaurant on Friday night. The table we had originally been assigned was close to a large party and was in a drafty area of the restaurant. But the host happily moved us into a quieter spot when we requested a change. The wait staff was pleasant and unobtrusive and our food delivered quickly. Overwood is a fun place to meet up with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninspiring food and staff - blahkabulpickleDined on 10/22/2014I live close by and have tried Overwood a couple of times and always been underwhelmed. Had an early dinner business meeting this week. I was amazed that the staff were just talking and yelling back and forward despite a few patrons being in the place. There was no ambient music (I asked them to turn it on) and it was like a cold barn inside. The server was pleasant, but did not know the menu very well. The food was bland (I had the scallops) and uninspired. It was amateur hour. You would get better atmosphere and food at you local sports bar. The place is kinda, well, blah.
- Brunch spot in ArlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/19/2014Had some friends visit from Austin and took them here for brunch. Everything was served promptly and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Not Worth the TripOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014The meal I had at Overwood was probably the most disappointing meal I've ever had and I eat out frequently. The grilled salmon salad had absolutely no taste with the lettuce being mainly iceberg. Even with the dressing it had little taste. The Key Lime pie was not bad - better than the salad. The service was nothing exceptional especially when I spilled a glass of water on the table at the end of the meal and no one ever came over to help wipe it up. We simply piled our napkins on top and soaked up the water as best we could.
- Just okMBrad2LDined on 10/5/2014Ordered the eggs Chesapeake and the dish was Luke warm at best. Didn't send it back because was with a group and didn't want to have others have to wait for me. My companions all said their meals were good so maybe this was just a fluke. Will probably try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet RetreatDinefindDined on 10/3/2014Crab cakes & salmon delicious Calamari & toasted ravioli not so much Keylime divine Service superb (Party of 6)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, understaffedMattDined on 9/27/2014Better than expected BBQ, the meatloaf got rave reviews and the beer list is solid. Very loud, especially if seated near the back room and service wasn't exactly attentive.Special Features:
- Not great for veggies or vegans.MJDuncanDined on 9/27/2014They have a long menu with lots of options. There was one dinner option for vegetarians - veggie lasagna. But there were zero vegan dinner entrée choices. I told the wait person I was vegan and could the chef perhaps prepare something with some of their sides. She looked at me blankly, as though what I said made no sense. So I ordered a beet salad without goat cheese, and the Brussels sprouts side dish. The salad came out as basically dry lettuce on top of three or four beet slices - missing any dressing or the nuts or other elements. The Brussels sprouts came out with cheese on top. I get that most people are not herbivores. But it would be nice if they had a couple veggie entrée options that could be modified to remove cheese.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodJulia123Dined on 9/24/2014This was our first time dining at this restaurant. We started with a half dozen raw oysters, which were okay; other restaurants have definitely served better. My husband ordered the ribeye, and I ordered a special for that evening--cioppino stew. Both of us enjoyed our food. My husband didn't seem to have any complaints about his steak, and I was impressed by the stew--they didn't skimp out on the seafood. The only thing that was lacking was the service. Our server seemed to forget about us, so we'd just be sitting there. Waiting. But overall, I'd give the place another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdoor patio, great foodesoccer85VIPDined on 9/19/2014Highly recommend! The steak my husband and I had was great. Flavorful and tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and Food is InconsistentHulagirlDined on 9/19/2014Overwood is good neighborhood restaurant, but the food and service is at times inconsistent. Dinners arrive for guests at different intervals and at times appears thrown on the plate. If Overwood wants primarily tourist clientele (who they will only see once) then this is probably OK, but if they want locals to return, they have to do a better job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicePickyEaterDined on 9/19/2014Cannot begin to describe what a great time we had at Overwood. I had the chicken blt which was delicious. The chicken was moist and flavorful, which seems to be a challenging thing to do for most restataunts. Service was great and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Overall I would highly recommend for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Everyone was very accommodating and helped make my friend's birthday special. Thank you!Special Features:
- Very very loudKathrynVIPDined on 9/5/2014Love this place, but avoid booking a table in bar area on Friday night if you wish to have any conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for food, comfort, value.BoomerVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is close to the main attractions on King Street, yet this is where the locals go. The food is great, and offers a great menu of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!TamuDined on 8/24/2014Good food, atmosphere,pricing and service. Glad to have discovered it as weekend a brunch option.Special Features:
- Only okay this timeKNAlexandriaDined on 8/23/2014We eat at Overwood a few times and year and generally are pleased with the food. However, that was not the case this time. The big disappointment was the catfish - very bland. The pork chop was better. I often have one of the big entree salads and have always enjoyed them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So, soNolafoodisbestDined on 8/22/2014I had a fried catfish dish, which I had to add hot sauce to for flavor. The fillet was really thick, which meant that for catfish, it was tough. The veggies under it were really good. The key lime pie was very bland, and didn't really have much flavor. Edward's pies in the frozen food section in the grocery store are better. Food is not bad, just ok.
- Great menu for Rest. WeekJeanfromalexandriaDined on 8/22/2014Our dinner at Overwood was really good, especial the Rest. Week special of buttermilk fried fish with a great succotash! The porterhouse pork chop was very well done also. We each had their special side salad with black beans and corn and it was delicious. The only problem was the noise-we will ask to be seated in the side room from now on as we have eaten in the room by the kitchen and the main room and they are just too noisy for our aging ears.Special Features:
- Nice ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Overwood is a nice change to dining on King Street. The staff is friendly and helpful. During restaurant week, we received a great meal at a great price. The food was flavorable and just the right portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A relaxing experienceShortcutrdDined on 8/20/2014I loved the quant neighborhood feels as we dined with other energetic patrons. Servicer was excellent and very knowledgeable of most dishes. I had the ½ rack of ribs and they were great, my table mates were not excited about the meatloaf or the pan seared haddock. Starters were great; fried oysters and lamb sausage flat bread, but the Key lime pie was missing that ‘bite-you-back’ effect if that’s what you like.Special Features:
- would not seek outMaybelleDined on 8/15/2014Great menu - ok food. The restaurant week menu was uninspired. I ended up ordering the Friday special of seared scallops. Beautiful presentation followed by gritty scallops. My party said the food was fine but we all agreed we wouldn't return. Extremely noisy inside would not recommend for date night out. The decor and restrooms were clean and attractive but overall atmosphere lands at fair.Special Features:
- Service could have been betterDiscmann131Dined on 8/14/2014We have been here a few times and the service was much better so I will put this off to an overworked waiter but it was real tough to get through your meal and get that refill of wine or beer. Had to literally stop him from running away on a couple occasions because we had no idea when he would be coming back our way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sophisticated southern foodAlexandrialocalDined on 8/14/2014Fried catfish on succotash-- I love Southern food but even I wasn't sure about that. When it came, what a great surprise-- catfish crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside, and the succotash was fantastic. Limas, but lots of other vegetables that I didn't expect, cooked just till tender, with herbs. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great Monday Night Dinner!AlexandrianDined on 8/11/2014My dad came into town and took my husband, our friend, and I out to Overwood for dinner. We sampled two kinds of oysters, fried green tomatoes, buffalo wings, buttermilk fried chicken, the meatloaf, and the crab cakes. Food was delivered hot and fresh and fast, and there was no disappointment on the table (friend green tomatoes were our collective favorite). Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable, and was happy to accommodate our slower meal pace while we all caught up. All of the drinks we ordered were definitely up to par, I loved the decor inside, and will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014First time having brunch at the Overwood, always dinner. It was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Great, Now Not so GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Been coming here four times a year for three years. Always ordered the Cajun ribeye. This time it was awful. Maybe they got a new chef? Not coming back for dinner for a while.
- Great DinnerFriendsNFoodDined on 8/9/2014The food and service was great. When making reservation online, the day before, asked for the room on the left when coming in (It usually is a some what quieter area).Meeting with 2 other couples. Ended up at a round table near the kitchen. Surprisingly, though busy and some what noisy, we could all hear each other across the table!! Had a great time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014The food, service, and ambiance are always very good!Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration in StyleOwens56VIPDined on 7/26/2014The ambience was relaxing with an inviting decor. Our food was scrumptious from the fried green tomatoes to the parmesan crusted flounder and cajun ribeye. The desserts were delicious and great portions plus out-of-this-world sorbet too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2014We were seated near the bar area and I asked to be moved to a quieter area. The hostess was lovely and had a table cleaned off near a window. While dithering between the Chicken Tortilla and Tomato Basil Soup, the waiter shared that the Chicken Tortilla soup was really good that night. He was right, the Chicken Tortilla soup was amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pickOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Good selection and service. Save room for dessert... Elvis Pie and Chocolate Bread Pudding are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overwood is a Neighborhood Gem!hmccaffeDined on 7/23/2014Overwood has delicious food: towering tomato tower, crab cakes, wines and desserts. The service was exceptional, courteous, prompt, friendly and the server asked many times if there were any other needs that we had that he could provide. Thank you for the terrific dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!ColonelBCDined on 7/12/2014After the Alexandria Birthday Fireworks we were starving -- went on OpenTable and reserved late night seets at Overwood. Pretty good service, awesome hummus plate, and great dinners....We'll be back!Special Features:
- Good but Not GreathealthypersonthatdrinksDined on 7/12/2014It took a while to be greeted, get water, etc. Having worked in the restaurant industry for many years, if it is fine dining, or any place that takes a reservation for that matter, then I expect to be greeted and taken care of within 3 or so minutes of being seated. It was closer to 8, and since it wasn't a full restaurant, that bothered me just a touch. Waiter was alright. Not particularly warm or helpful in terms of the drink menu or food menu, but he did his job. My boyfriend ordered the crusted Flounder, I order the half rotisserie chicken. Flounder was on the bone, and not crusted like bread crusted as I had thought. It was super fishy. Not bad, but not really our cup of tea, lots of bones to spit out. Chicken was good.Special Features:
- TastyLocalFoodieDined on 7/12/2014Food is cooked over wood which lends a smoky flavor.....even to their Big Salads! Too bad the waitstaff left all the dishes on the table durning our entire stay, making eating dessert was near impossible. Better luck next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful findHarleyVIPDined on 7/12/2014GREAT restaurant and great food. Wide ranging menu was great to please many different tastes....every one a winner.Special Features:
- I always come backBoomerVIPDined on 7/5/2014This is where the locals go and yet it is so close to King Street. I think the food is great and everyone is friendly, the service is often inconsistent, but I have learned to speak up to!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014The food had great flavor and was perfectly cooked. Everything seemed very fresh. The service was great. She gave adequate time but we didn't have to wait. Next time I am in town it will be on my to do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 720 reviews are from the OVERWOOD reviews archive.