3266 State Highway 82
Sonoita, AZ 85637Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.overlandtrout.com/
- Phone: 5204559316x
- Hours of Operation:
Special Summer Hours
Serving Dinner Thursday – Sunday 5pm-Close // Happy Hour 5pm-6pm
Lunch Friday-Saturday 11:30-2pm
Sunday Brunch 10am-2pm
Special Dinners Monday Nights (follow us on Facebook for the latest)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gregory LaPrad
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Music check website and/or facebook for details.
- Special Events: Visit our Facebook Page and Website for details on upcoming special events, wine dinners, and holiday menus!
A word from Overland Trout
Chef Greg LaPrad brings a polished dining experience to the lush high-desert grasslands of Sonoita, poising this region as the Southwest's prized up-and-coming culinary destination. Named after cowboy slang for bacon, the term "Overland Trout" was first seen in a newspaper published in 1887. Here, we celebrate the culinary heritage of Arizona’s borderlands with our terrain that boasts a rare agricultural bounty of regional indigenous ingredients alongside rich soil that feeds our neighboring vineyards. Overland Trout combines the treasured produce of Sonoita with its quality wine for an authentic and unforgettable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Overland Trout - Best Restaurants in Sonoita ›
Overland Trout reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (13)notable wine list (12)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (8)great for brunch (5)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- 5 star in SonoitaTscottDined on 9/14/2014Great execution of both food by Chef Greg and service by Chantel. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Beautiful experience in the middle of Sonoita wine country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyabletucsondinerDined on 9/7/2014Overland Trout has a beautiful view, excellent service and delicious food. We really enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Nice View - rest was uninpressiveRangerJoeDined on 8/29/2014First ever visit for wife's birthday, our party of 5 with reservations for 6pm on Friday evening was seated immediately. Beautiful views of Sonoran High Desert. Chairs are unpadded hardwood, hard on back and butt. Initial service fast and friendly, but during meal, needed to ask 4x over 20 minutes to get single refill of iced tea; our water glasses were never refilled. I ordered the Rib Eye “on the rare side of medium-rare” – it came out on the well side of medium-well, not even a hint of pink. While decent flavored – ¼ of it was pure gristle and uneatable. We ordered 3 deserts, but only two were delivered - they forgot my wife's (it was HER birthday), by then the group was ready to leave. At $50 per person, I expected much better.Special Features:
- Brunch and dinner at Overland TroutFranzDined on 8/17/2014We have had both meals here and the food is really special. During the day there is a lovely vista of cattle country and mountains in the distance. It is well worth the drive for a special day or evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveninglive2eatDined on 8/9/2014Food and service were outstanding, views at sunset were amazing. A gem of a restaurant, we will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Sooo goodAlleycatDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went to Overland Trout in January and wanted to bring our friends. We just went back in August. Although the menu was completely different and it forced us to try new items we loved it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014Although we made a reservation via Open Table Overland Trout was closed when we got there. They had some unanticipated problems reopening the kithchen after a brief Summer break. They did telephone our home at 5:00 pm one and one half hour before our reservation time. However, that message was on our home phone 150 miles and two days behind us. We have eaten at Overland Trout several times and have always enjoyed the food and wine. We rreally hope that they find a way to mesh with the Sonoita area and remain profitable.Special Features:
- like2dineTraveyeDined on 8/2/2014I booked reservation over 3 weeks in advance. A half hour before I am due they call to say it's a buffet. I arrive on time. Buffet is pulled pork and a couple salads. They didn't offer gift certificate to get us to return. So we left.
- DisappointedSadinSonoitaDined on 8/2/2014We were looking forward to lunch at Overland Trout, especially since it had been closed for a month for vacation. By happenstance I was told that OT was catering a lunch at a local race the day of our reservation so I called the night before to confirm our reservation. Turns you they were not going to be open for lunch that day and were not aware of my reservation due to "computer problems". We had friends driving one hour to join us so it would have been very embarrassing to have met them there and found the restaurant closed. Unless Open Table requires a special software for restaurants I don't think that computer problems at the restaurant would have prevented them from checking to see if any reservations were outstanding.
- thank youOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014We had a wonderful time. It was a Monday night with very few diners, a great view and sunset. We were struck by the kindness and thoughtfulness of our server, who volunteered to let us sample a few wines and made great suggestions. Same goes for the chef, who recommended one menu choice over a second.....that kind of honestly and devotion to quality is rare. We will be there again...and it is a great evening drive from Tucson.Special Features:
- Fifty FiftyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014Wife thought her Caesar salad was wonderful and her grilled rockfish with crispy greens great. I, on the other hand, thought my salad of mango and jicama ordinary. The entree of veal with mashed potatoes was luke warm and potatoes very salty. Tried an inexpensive ($40) of Arizona red wine - mistake. Wanted a pi not, but least expensive was $80.00. Great view at sunset and we loved our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening at Overland TroutmabrewerDined on 5/25/2014We invited another couple to join us for dinner at Overland Trout. The atmosphere was great for conversation and the view was fantastic. The menu is eclectic with some dishes that have local flare and some that are more worldly. The food and presentation were top notch and the value was good. This will certainly become one of our regular places to dine. I can;t wait to try their lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Overland Trout reviews archive.
- roxanneVIPDined on 5/25/2014the food was just average. presentation was good, where was the salt/seasoning? eggs - no salt/pepper, oregano potato too much oregano. my husband said the biscuit was good fresh brewed coffee, average
- PriceylovetotravelDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I went for the first time (probably the only time). He ordered an appetizer very expensive for what you got six very small pieces of salmon. I ordered a salad that was very good. I ordered the enchiladas and was unimpressed. The re-fried beans did not have any flavor to them, the enchiladas were not all what I was expecting or hoped for. My husband ordered the meat and potatoes (we traded meals), this was very good. I would order that again (if we ever went back). We also ordered dessert which was an acceptable value. The chocolate chili and vanilla bean ice creams were very delicious. I could only recommend Overland Trout as a special occasion restaurant. The food was good but not what I expected, and I felt over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorial day hamburger barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014First time. Returning for brunch. Will review again at that time. The hamburger bar was perfect.Special Features:
- The BestpollifrogDined on 5/16/2014Greg and Jen are doing a wonderful job providing the locals, as well as the visitors with the best meals, ambiance, and experience Sonoita can offer. If you are ever in the Sonoita/Elgin wine country, it is not to miss!Special Features:
- illinois2Dined on 5/4/2014We had a 6 pm reservation; arrived early since we came after horse race. Met by friendly hostess who seated us immediately. Only one other couple in restaurant but there were people in the bar area. Menu was interesting. Wine list was extensive and fairly expensive. We split Sonoran oysters and a Caesar salad. We ordered Sonoran enchildas and the chili rellano. Both were well prepared and nicely presented. Restaurant filled up and our Server had all the tables, so we waited a bit; but not enough to worry about. We will go back and try some of the other entrees as they all looked appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overland Trout - Wonderful!!winetymeDined on 4/26/2014Our party of 8 dined at Overland Trout for my birthday last Saturday and from the moment we walked in until the moment we left we had amazing service that was only out done by the food! This restaurant is a true gem in Sonoita!!Special Features:
- DisappointedSuzEQueDined on 4/24/2014After looking forward to a really special meal, my friends and I were extremely disappointed in our dinner at Overland Trout. When our meal was finally served it was lukewarm and mediocre at best. There were only 8 other people in the restaurant at the time, so I'm not certain why it took so long to get our dinners or why they were not hot. I realize that Sonoita is an out-of-the-way place, but when paying top dollar for a meal, I expect more.
- very nice restaurantbluejayDined on 4/19/2014this was a nice end to a day of bird watching.we had read about the restaurant in a magazine and was anxious to try it.the food was excellent the wait staff was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge DisappointmentTucson2Dined on 4/13/2014The service was exceptionally bad. The waiter and the hostess were completely inattentive and unprofessional. On top of that, the waiter had an attitude. It took more than an hour to be served flavorless, mediocre and overpriced food.
- It was greatMaryaDined on 4/11/2014We made a reservation in advance and subsequently learned that our status as a sustaining member of KJZZ in Phoenix entitled us to a $16 starter dish. We enjoyed a cheese plate with cheeses from around the world with relished with olives and fresh cruets. The mahi-mahi was awesome accompanied with a tomato bisque, and the Chile Relleno was the freshest we have ever tasted. We did have friends who came in as a large group without a reservation and they had to wait some time to be served. We couldn't have been happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTubac2someDined on 4/11/2014My boyfriend & I had heard great things about this restaurant & were looking forward to dining there. We were seated at a table for two at the window. Little did we know that the view would turn out to be the best part of our dining experience. It took our waiter 10 min. to take our drink order. Since we waited so long to order a drink, we decided to order dinner at the same time. Drinks arrived 5 min. later & it was another 40 min. before 2 meager slices of bread (although crusty, hot & delicious) arrived with our entrees. My mahi mahi was overcooked, dry & the size of my palm - for $29! My boyfriend's chili relleno was sitting in a pool of oil. We looked out the window and saw the chef-owner just arriving...so whose food were we eating???Special Features:
- This is a great little gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014This is a great little gem located in a small town that is located among some of Arizona's most beautiful scenery. The staff is great and the food is amazing. This is definitely worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed itmitchDined on 4/3/2014We enjoyed our evening at Overland Trout. We confess to being confused about the name and expected and looked forward to trout for dinner! We were a party of four, all trying something different, and each of us enjoyed our selection. Our waitress was attentive and knowledgeable and we enjoyed a nice evening at a new place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch with Mother in lawBobbiegirlDined on 3/30/2014Wonderful breakfast had by all! I had the Overlander with two eggs, homemade apple chorizo sausage, potato cake and biscuit. Everyone enjoyed their brunch selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately we had a veryJudgeroyDined on 3/28/2014Unfortunately we had a very poor experience at a very cute place. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and great ambiance. It was unfortunate the service and food didn't match. The menu looked very appetizing with 4 special entrees and 3 Sonoran items. The chicken in all of the dishes was not hot and over cooked, the enchiladas were just a corn meal cake with no flavor and very little flavor from the items on top.
- Disappointed in Service and PortionDennisDined on 3/20/2014I made a reservation for a group of eight for 6 p.m. We were seated quickly and drink order were taken shortly after that. It took a bit to get the drinks served. The restaurant was about 1/2 filled so not overly busy. Appetizers came on time. It took about 45 minutes after placing our entree orders to get served. Two plates were cold, cold, cold when served. Very disappointed in the portions on the veal plate! For the prices that are being charged for dinner items, I was very disappointed in the service and portions.
- go for dinner, not lunchandiDined on 3/20/2014three of us went for lunch and were disappointed as we drove down from Tucson specifically to dine at Overland Trout. there was nothing particularly interesting or fresh tasting in the sandwiches we had (grilled cheese, and the hot dog entree). the pickled veggies were unexciting and needed color. fries were quite good and tomato soup was real tasty. i've heard the dinners are wonderful.Special Features:
- A Gem in SonoitaRussDined on 3/3/2014It's hard to believe such a fine restaurant can be found in the tiny village of Sonoita, AZ. I'd read about Overland Trout in a newspaper article and it did not disappoint. Great menu options, fresh ingredients, superbly prepared and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cowboy baconOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/3/2014My friends and i found overland trout quite by accident when we went to elgin to visit wineries. The menu was fabulous and it is a true gourmet find. Everyone from the hostess to the wait staff was so friendly and helpful. I orderedthe ceasar salad and shredded chicken. The salad was crisp and fresh and absolutely delicious. I had a cup of soup and that was wonderful too. I will make this a regular stop when i come down from tucson with friends to go to the wineries. The ohotographs on walls are very artistic and interesting and the views of the landscape and mountains out the window charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Local1Dined on 2/14/2014I've been there 3 times- the food was wonderful. Chel LaPrad is a genius! So is his bartender! Service was outstanding the 1st and 3rd time, but the 2nd time it was not up to par with the menu pricing. I expect GREAT service if I am spending $200+ on dinner for 2. The waitress was a bit frazzled on our 2nd visit but it was a busy night...she was the same one at brunch the 1st time I visited, when it was not as busy. Go during an off hour for best service. The food and drinks will always be delicious! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitLocalsDined on 2/14/2014Not a bad first experience. We had a prefixed 4 course meal. The portions did appear small, but we found them to be filling. The sweet potato soup had aromatic Indian flavors that paired awkwardly with wine that was selected as part of the pairing menu. The main course of prawn and tenderloin was delivered on a single plate to be shared. Here we were given two prawns and two slices of meat (1 of each for both of us.) Although cooked well, it did not feel special and at $49.00 per person, not a value. We will try them again during the week for happy hour to get a better feel of the menu and value. A coworker raved about the Sunday brunch so we will try that too. If you are local or coming in from out of town try them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique items on the menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Unique items on the menu, great view of the high desert.Special Features:
- Sonoita surprisecindydDined on 2/9/2014This restaurant exceeded our expectations. We were visiting Sonoita for a second time and previously had had only fair dining experiences. This new restaurant was a great find. I had read an article that the chef had left the Phoenix area to open a restaurant in Sonoita. Our party of four was most pleased with all aspects of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY expensiveTucsoneaterVIPDined on 2/8/2014This is an interesting place. Wine list is "different" and very overpriced. They encourage you to try a certain wine, but when you order it... They're out... We are at 6:30. They were already out of some of their specials??? I guess people in Sonoita start having dinner at 3? Service was very polite, but very slow. Don't know this place will make it at these prices... $250 for two people with 2 glasses of wine and one beer. No dessert. One shared appetizer, one side salad and two entrees. Food tasted good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining!KatieBDined on 2/1/2014We absolutely had a wonderful evening, the food was outstanding, great service and a beautiful view! Loved it!Special Features:
- The portions were the rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014The portions were the right amounts and extremely awesome. Compliments to Chef Greg, his gracious wife and the entire staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, good barYMRPDined on 1/31/2014The bartender for Happy Hour was great! Eager to share knowledge and tastes of locally produced drinks and the appetizer we shared was very good--fresh date with cheese and excellent local bacon. Dinner was so so. The men had veal which they thought was good. We ladies had a chicken dish over cornmeal but did not taste the cheese and poblano described on the menu. The cream brûlée was average, couldn't really taste the Tres Leche. We saw some beautifully plated dishes .Special Features: