Ovelia Psistaria Bar
34-01 30th Avenue
Astoria, NY 11103Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Ovelia Psistaria Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ovelia-nyc.com/
- Phone: (718) 721-7217
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Peter Giannakas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Greek music Thursday evening. DJ/Live music Wednesday Rock/Reggae Friday/Saturday night world/jazz/pop.
A word from Ovelia Psistaria Bar
Greek Grill House offering traditional and modern fare. Ovelia offers a taste of modern Greek lifestyle and philosophy via its food, cocktails, sounds and environment. Peter Giannakas, scientist turned chef stays true to the core roots of Greek cuisine twisting fresh flavors into new classics. The traditional fare executed by Ioannis and Evangelia Giannakas brings 55 years of experience to the kitchen"s flames. Designed by Chris Giannakas, Ovelia's decor marries organic elements with modern innovations suggesting a dining experience that is refreshingly familiar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ovelia Psistaria Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)great for outdoor dining (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (8)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Greek RevivalVisitorVIPDined on 10/31/2014Great items from traditional to more interesting. Well done...service and food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Best Greek Food on 30th AveEJN83Dined on 10/18/2014Very trendy and fun restaurant on 30th ave in Astoria. The food was amazing, service was excellent and even the restaurants were cute and unique. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Lamb was a little tough, but other than that, the food and service was great!Special Features:
- The following 101 reviews are from the Ovelia Psistaria Bar reviews archive.
- Really friendlyFoodnaticVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had a business dinner meeting and they very accidate with our needs! The food was delicious and the service was excellent without being intrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice of greek foodluvcuisineDined on 6/28/2014Excellent fast service, waiter was extremely wonderful, quick, explained in detail of our order, told us of specials of the day, made sure we were satified with our order. Definitely would recommend to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experience!Romo2014Dined on 6/6/2014I found this restaurant on Open Table...I always trust this site. I wanted a fun, classy place to celebrate my friends bday! The restaurant was very good...the tzaziki was delicious as well as the calamari. The staff was very accommodating and very helpful. They weren't rushing us which I liked! I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimergoodeatingVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food was very nice, from my grilled salmon to the lamb chops to the fig/lamb kabob enjoyed by the others. Our waiter was helpful in making recommendations but after that he was barely around. We had to constantly ask other staff for things we needed. Even when we lingered and the place cleared out, he was still MIA. He did try to make up for his error when placing our dessert order by comping our two sweets. There was a female DJ playing music and her selection was very enjoyable, and not overpowering so we could still converse over dinner. The decor was contemporary and sleek but in retrospect my preference would have been to eat in decor that felt more "Greek" having made the trip to Astoria, from Manhattan.Special Features:
- Excellent choicedougDined on 5/16/2014Lots of Greek in Astoria, but this is one of the best. Moussaka was superb. And try the smoked sweetbreads if you're adventurous!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014We had a great meal here. Friendly service and great food at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wineluvahDined on 5/10/2014Good food at good prices. The full-portion octopus appetizer was tender and tasty, and it's almost a meal in itself. The bifteki platter was standard. My date had the saganaki burger; the fries were well-seasoned, but the food was too much in richness (one of the buns has a cheese filling). We couldn't finish our entrees after the large octopus appetizer. Service was very good. It was way too loud; I often had to lean towards my date to hear her.Special Features:
- OvelislovetoeatDined on 5/7/2014The food was very good and the staff was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek food for todaychefmecheVIPDined on 4/28/2014Somewhat unconventional, not exactly traditional but delicious and inventive.
- Service for SixVanessaGraceDined on 4/18/2014I was running late for a group dinner that I put together, so I called ahead. Stella seated my guests, and handled their first round of drinks to buy me some time. Our server was a patient gent, but at times the service was slow. It worked to our benefit because some of the girls were just getting to know each other, and others had a lot to catch up on, so it was nice to not feel rushed. The only real complaint I have is that I discreetly told our waiter that it was one of the girl's birthdays (pointed her out to him) and he didn't relay the message to the next waitress (his shift ended during our meal). So, when dessert came, there was no candle or song. A tad disappointed at the end, as I wanted to surprise her with the small gesture.Special Features:
- Family friendlySankariDined on 4/1/2014Even during the evening, the staff are very friendly toward children (I brought a 3yo and a 4yo), and very accommodating to bring them cups with covers and remove certain seasonings to make the dishes more kid friendly. The food is excellent, and I would be more than excited to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Greek food in AstoriaYummyDined on 3/25/2014From all the Greek restaurants. I like this one the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kick Save . . . And a Beauty!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2014It was our first time and it was almost a disaster as our order was left sitting and undelivered for almost 20 minutes after it was done. But the staff and management were very responsive and nimble and turned budding disappointment into a very pleasant and memorable meal. Substantively, the menu is very imaginative, particularly for an Astoria Greek. The food by and large is very well prepared and creatively seasoned. We will definitely give it a second try.Special Features:
- Enjoyablecoreyman97VIPDined on 2/23/2014Our first time here and we enjoyed everything. The food, service and atmosphere were all really good. The noise level is very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic, fresh and cleanMMPLUS3Dined on 2/22/2014The good was obviously freshly made, full of flavor and overall outstanding! It's going to be my new go-to for Greek dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for all occasionsStephanieRM85Dined on 2/15/2014Ovelia is a "go-to" staple in Astoria. When I want to have a good meal with good friends, I know Ovelia will not disappoint. Their cocktails are killer and I love ordering a few items on the menu to share. Everything is so delicious. The waitstaff is always on point, courteous and really friendly. The chef even came out to talk to our table. This place is great for a date, friends, a group... any kind of dining experience you're looking for, you can find here. I love that the kitchen is open late as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Valentine's day dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Delicious food. The pork chops were amazing and we loved the fried cheese appetizer. Great happy hour drink and food specials too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014I recently had my bday there and they were very accommodating to a group of 12. The food was delicious--we all shared a bunch of meze's and the waiter was very friendly and prompt. Also loved their specialty cocktails. I eat here all the time and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD, NICE SERVICE, VERY LOUDchefmecheVIPDined on 1/8/2014We had so many appetizers we couldn't go for the tempting main courses. Highly recommended are the bone marrow, grilled calamari, saganaki and zucchini fritters. The service was pleasant but we waited too long for the very delicious grilled pita to go with the bone marrow. We hope they don't have a DJ every night because we'd like to return but we were shouting at each other to be heard over the "music". A bonus is the reduced price drinks until 9PM. Well, maybe that's why it's so loud in there.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014The octopus appetizer was fantastic and the grilled whole sea bass was amazing! The pork dish was pretty good. Slightly over cooked. Will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So yummy!SarahDined on 12/30/2013We went to NYC for New Years and fully relied on the OpenTable app. We had a group of 9 so that always narrows down how many restaurants are available to choose from. We were so happy with this one! We knew we liked greek food but this was like nothing we'd ever had. The things on the menu seemed almost strange because they were so different but it all just.. worked. We all loved our meals. I had one of the feta sandwiches, the apple, bacon and cream cheese one.. Mmm!! I would definitely go back. Great service. I was a little chilly in the restaurant but it didn't really hinder the atmosphere :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fun food experience!!foodfroggyDined on 12/27/2013The appy menu was amazing!! The fried Feta with honey was fantastic and the grilled octopus was soooo yummy!! I had the lamb and fig kebob with candied figs..Best thing I ever ate!! Can;t wait to go back!! Only problem, what to order!! I wanted to eat everything on the menu!! Can;t wait until I do!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group Dinner PartyLauraDined on 12/13/2013We decided to take a chance and it paid off. We were a group of 10 and let me tell you service was wonderful. Food was yummy and the staff was attentful to our needs. The oysters were fresh. My only critique was that the scallops were a bit overdone as was the steak. If they can polish up on that it the food would be spectacular, enough to merit a star increase.Special Features:
- Delicious!aadoc76VIPDined on 11/16/2013Chose this restaurant based upon the reviews on opentable. I was not disappointed. Sausage and octopus appetizers were delicious as well as the main courses. The restaurant had a nice vibe, energetic but not overwhelmingly noisy. The waitress was lovely and quite attentive. I would definitely go back.
- Wonderful Greek Food!! WeStuDebDined on 10/15/2013Wonderful Greek Food!! We could picture ourselves back in corfu eating those delicious delicacies.....if only we could get rid of all the noise from the traffic of Astoria. Service was great, very freindly staff. We went early to see a show afterward, but later there is a big bar scene! I would definitely recommend Ovelia if you are looking for great Greek food & a fun atmosphere!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousastoriadinerDined on 10/11/2013This was my first time eating here for dinner, having been for brunch numerous times. We dined early, for Astoria. There were 5 of us. The service was great as was the food. My only complaint would be the music. When we arrive, there was good jazz music playing at a volume that allowed us all to hear each other. As the night wore on, they changed to techno and put the volume up too loud to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Terrible Service and Long WaitdanielaDined on 10/6/2013Unfortunately, this was a pretty bad dining experience. We were a party of 6 for my sister's 21st birthday. When we started dinner, early in the evening, the restaurant was almost empty. Yet while we sat with our appetizer dips and asking repeatedly for pita so we could eat, our server stood idly by the server station. We were charged for drinks we never received, orders were served in parts, including our entrees, half the table received their entrees 15 minutes after everyone else - and then we waited over 30 minutes for dessert. Also they added 20% gratuity to the bill. I expect a restaurant to add 12-15%, I expect to pay 20-25% for good service. Adding 20% is inappropriate after obviously bad service with no apology. Never again
- Good food, good people-watchingShutterbugDined on 10/1/2013We enjoyed a delicious dinner with appetizers, entrees (fish for both of us), and desert - and were stuffed! The food was as good as it was plentiful. We sat outside on a warm fall evening at this corner restaurant, so the ambiance was eclectic, and the city was noisy and busy (not an issue for the restaurant to resolve), and lively. It was worth a trip back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- really romanticjohnDined on 9/30/2013Had a great time with my girlfriend she loved it dimmed lighting and outstanding food and service and close to get toSpecial Features:
- Great foodmartiniDined on 9/7/2013I went here with a party of four and everyone was happy with their meal. The lamburgini is amazing, but so is almost everything on the menu. One of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- OveliaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2013We went on a cloudy and muggy Monday but there were still plenty of people seated in the outside area. We chose to dine inside where it was cool and quiet. They have great happy hour specials on drinks until 8:00 p.m. so we took advantage of that. The food was good - portions are a bit small but each bite was tasty. We ordered the Greek tapas which was okay. For our main course, we had stuffed calamari - which were my favorite and the baby shark. Each entree came with a side. I craved broccoli rabe but they did not have that available so we ordered the kale and greek salad. Both were fine. We skipped dessert because after a couple of sangrias and all of the above, we were stuffed!Special Features:
- Food was fantastic but...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/29/2013the service was horrible. Had a group of 7 for an early dinner so it was't too crowded. Again, the food was very good. Everyone at the table got something different and everyone was more than satisfied with their meal. It took the wait/bus staff forever to clear the table. The waitress only checked in on us once for drinks refills. We had to flag someone down mutiple times. And when it came time to get the check, the waitress entered it into the computer system then went to tend to another table. I really want to go back for the food, but I'm on the fence because of the service (or lack of).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service, food was fairCatherineDined on 5/15/2013First of all, the food took forever to come out. It was my birthday and there was 5 of us in my group and we arrived at 8pm for our reservation. We got seated right away and when it came to order our entrees, the food took FOREVER to come out. And not only that but the food was dry! I had the Pork from the Specialties List and it was waaaay too dry! It definitely needed some sauce! Also, my friend had the kebab I think and she said it was extremely dry as well. The food definitely needs to be rethought. Service was also very slow. Our waitress would rarely come to our table and the restaurant is pretty small so I don't see why I have to ask like 10x for a waiter to come over to our table. Dessert also took 30-45 mins to come out! Not happy!Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre DiningHennwayDined on 5/10/2013Ovelia was reccomended to me by a family member who loves the spot. I took my in-laws & met their grand-daughter there for a pre-theatre dinner. She is performing at APAC which is a few blocks from the restaurant. We were able to walk to the theatre after our dinner. Our experience was very good. Service prompt & solid. Food excellent.The chef 's"rough cut chicken" delish! I already know what I'm trying next time(stuffed chicken). Can't wait! It would make a great after theatre drinks etc spot as well.Special Features:
- The food was okay...serviceDianneDined on 4/27/2013The food was okay...service was okay, but the food and drinks took so long to come....it would have been better if they give out some pita with olive oil as we wait for the foodSpecial Features:
- Best for grilled meats. InnovativeBeachcomberVIPDined on 4/22/2013Best for grilled meats. Innovative variation on classic greek. Fish dishes not as good as meats. Beautiful decor.
- Went with a group of old friendsshellsDined on 3/30/2013Went with a group of old friends to Ovelia's. Delicious, well-prepared Greek classics with impeccably fresh ingredients and a lively, welcoming atmosphere. Highly recommended, worth a trip. Still thinking about the luscious rotisserie lamb special.Special Features: